PDA

View Full Version : Trigger springs.

Biggin747
06-08-23, 08:23
Hey does anyone know if there is a visual way to tell a springs pull weight? I bought a couple of packs of reduced power trigger spring sets. In a well meaning but ultimately flawed act of kindness all of my springs have been mixed together in a single container and was hoping there was a trick to sorting them out, short of installing them one at a time in my jig and testing the pull weight. Thanks in advance for any ideas!

georgeib
06-08-23, 08:36
Curious about this too. I imagine wire gauge, number of coils, and angle of legs have something to do with it.

56-210
06-08-23, 10:47
I think I would start from scratch and buy new springs... If testing them is a PITA...

lysander
06-08-23, 11:21
A standard trigger spring is supposed to generate 1.23 to 1.73 lb-in at 45 degree deflection.

Set the spring down on a table with the closed bow up, and press down on the closed bow until it just does not touch the table. The force required should be around 5/8 to 3/4 pound.

Clint
06-08-23, 21:49
Try measuring the wire diameter.

You should know which springs are in the packs and likely how many of each you have.

For example, 2 light, 2 medium and 2 heavy from two packs.

Measure the wire and match up like items.

Biggin747
06-09-23, 10:54
Thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately I don't remember how many of each set I have. I'll give these ideas a try and worse case I'll spend a day testing them in the jig. Thanks again everyone!

bfoosh006
06-09-23, 13:43
A standard trigger spring is supposed to generate 1.23 to 1.73 lb-in at 45 degree deflection.

Set the spring down on a table with the closed bow up, and press down on the closed bow until it just does not touch the table. The force required should be around 5/8 to 3/4 pound.

lysander, your wealth of wisdom is always admired. Every post you make has useful info in it. Thank you for sharing.

HOW did you learn all this info ?

lysander
06-09-23, 20:25
lysander, your wealth of wisdom is always admired. Every post you make has useful info in it. Thank you for sharing.

HOW did you learn all this info ?
I have access to many of the drawings, and most of the test reports.

Also, the standard trigger spring should be 0.036" diameter wire with one-and-a-half turns on each side that are 0.360" in diameter.

You can get a lighter spring by increasing the coil diameter, increasing the coil diameter, or reducing the wire diameter.

bfoosh006
06-10-23, 12:22
I have access to many of the drawings, and most of the test reports.

Wait... ( and LOL ) a "library" exists ?

Man... I could spend a lot of time there.

Again, Thank You

Biggin747
06-11-23, 12:56
Hey everyone, so I figured it out. I finally broke down and just put them on my jig. For future reference the difference is the type of wire. The ones looking like copper (it's just a copper coating not sure of actual metal)tested at 4.8 to 5lbs of pressure, where as the steel springs came it at 3.6 to 4lbs. I measured all of them an they all had the same diameter and number of coils. Thanks again for all the suggestions! I really appreciate this community.

lysander
06-11-23, 20:16

This is in error.

The torque requirement is correct, but the force stated is wrong. It should be double what was originally stated.

nuleasa
06-27-23, 20:54
This is in error.

geometry dash subzero (https://geometrydashsubzero.net)
The torque requirement is correct, but the force stated is wrong. It should be double what was originally stated.

I also think there is an error here. Double I'm not so sure.