PDA

View Full Version : Army's Mobile Protected Firepower vehicle to be called the "M10 Booker"

Slater
06-10-23, 19:12
Been quite a long time since we had a new tracked vehicle to officially name.

"WASHINGTON — The U.S. Army has named its first new combat vehicle in nearly four decades the M10 Booker after two soldiers killed in action, one in the Iraq War and the other in World War II.

Staff Sgt. Stevon A. Booker was killed April 5, 2003, during the so-called thunder run in Baghdad, Iraq. Pvt. Robert D. Booker was killed under heavy machine gunfire in Tunisia on April 9, 1943, during WWII."

https://www.defensenews.com/land/2023/06/10/us-armys-new-combat-vehicle-named-for-soldiers-killed-in-iraq-wwii/

SteyrAUG
06-10-23, 19:43
Thought it would be this guy.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-TIVzX9vwPVU/T5uFvnpfmeI/AAAAAAAABUY/nBzxcv8GsEg/s1600/Good+Guys+Wear+Black.jpg

Given all the sacrifices, everything should be named after somebody.

Averageman
06-10-23, 21:05
It would appear that they went back to a four Man crew versus a autoloader like the old Stryker, thats smart.

Alpha-17
06-11-23, 08:10
Ah, the light tank the Army refuses to call a light tank. Cool. At least Booker is better than MPFV.

Averageman
06-11-23, 09:49
Ah, the light tank the Army refuses to call a light tank. Cool. At least Booker is better than MPFV.

They teased us Tankers for years over a light Tank being just around the corner.
I've see some pretty inovative ideas, but they always chose an autoloader. I really don't care who makes them, autoloaders are useless unreliable crap, plus you need four Men, not three to Crew a Tank.
Too much stuff going on for three Men to handle everything.

Slater
06-11-23, 10:05
Well, they could send a few to Ukraine for operational testing. Nothing shakes out your design like actual combat.

Averageman
06-11-23, 10:22
Well, they could send a few to Ukraine for operational testing. Nothing shakes out your design like actual combat.

From what I've seen the last couple days, Ukrainians don't seem to have the concept of fire and manuver down very well.
Thats a lot of dead Brads and Leopards sitting there smoking.
These are sneak and peek Tanks not fighting Tanks.