PDA

View Full Version : Best firearm for interstate road trips?

Disciple
06-11-23, 14:41
What is the best self-defense firearm for interstate travel by car, not to be concealed or carried, while conforming to the varied laws that exist west of the Mississippi? I am thinking long gun but I am open to something like the Shockwave if there is an argument for it.

Are semi-auto shotguns restricted the way semi-auto rifles are?

Screwball
06-11-23, 15:42
Most states with AWBs have something related to round count with semi-auto shotguns. Usually can’t have detachable magazines or pistol grips… as one point can create an “assault weapon.”

On another forum, I saw a guy talk about getting Shuff to take a Garand and make a Mini-G in .308. Travels to CA regularly, and seems to be ok with the enbloc clip. OAL of a Mini-G is identical to a M1 Carbine.

prepare
06-11-23, 16:08
A shotgun is legal everywhere.

georgeib
06-11-23, 21:14
A shotgun is legal everywhere.

What about something like a Tac-14?

AndyLate
06-11-23, 21:43
What is the best self-defense firearm for interstate travel by car, not to be concealed or carried, while conforming to the varied laws that exist west of the Mississippi? I am thinking long gun but I am open to something like the Shockwave if there is an argument for it.

If you are traveling through states, you are covered as long as you may legally possess the firearm in the state of departure and the destination state. https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/traveling-with-firearms/private-vehicles/

Guns unloaded in a locked case, etc.

Andy

Disciple
06-11-23, 23:30
Guns unloaded in a locked case, etc.

I would like to avoid that in as many jurisdictions as it is legal to do so. I also want to avoid this: "In states with strict gun laws (such as California, Hawaii, Massachusetts, New Jersey and New York), it may be a good idea not to stop at all."

I am wondering what is the most effective item that is acceptable in the most number of places. Pump shotgun? Lever-action .44? Spear gun and a wet suit? :rolleyes:

ndmiller
06-12-23, 07:33
I think you'll almost need to plan your trip and doublecheck laws and experiences in every state you're passing though. For example, just because you're perfectly legal, doesn't mean travelers experiences in that state haven't been ideal (i.e. NJ, CA, etc.). I would never road-trip through NJ/NY with firearms or parts (in any condition) based on first hand experiences along with what I've have read and heard about. Perfectly "legal" situations resulted in arrest and significant time and money in order to come out on the other side out of legal jeopardy many months or years later.

Firearms are just one of those items where law enforcement encounters are inconsistent and can either ruin a great trip or be a non-incident within the same municipality. They are also situations where clear concise arguments and facts may not stop your arrest to figure things out later. Do your research and take the long way if necessary.

TheAlsatian
06-12-23, 09:32
You specified West of the Mississippi, I'd say the only states you really have to worry about are the West coast ones, CA, OR, WA. Most of the others are going to be fairly relaxed as long as you are not doing anything stupid. I prefer to travel with a handgun as long as I'm not going into a restricted state. I can keep it in my luggage and take it into a motel with me when I stop. Military style rifles can be problematic in some states and shotguns, while legal, can be awkward.

voujc
06-12-23, 11:52
A shotgun is perfect.

AndyLate
06-12-23, 12:00
I would like to avoid that in as many jurisdictions as it is legal to do so. I also want to avoid this: "In states with strict gun laws (such as California, Hawaii, Massachusetts, New Jersey and New York), it may be a good idea not to stop at all."

I am wondering what is the most effective item that is acceptable in the most number of places. Pump shotgun? Lever-action .44? Spear gun and a wet suit? :rolleyes:

I cannot think of a state where it's legal to have a loaded long gun in a car.

Andy

Brasilnuts
06-12-23, 12:17

Andy

Tennessee

Disciple
06-12-23, 12:34

What about unloaded? Anyway:

"Oregon does not prohibit the open carrying of long guns in a vehicle." (https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/oregon-gun-laws-what-you-need-to-know/)

[California] "Without a CCWL, any firearm must be in a locked container or the vehicle’s trunk. A locked container is defined as a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock or similar locking device. A locked container includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but not the utility or glove compartment." (https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/california-gun-laws-what-you-need-to-know/)

[Idaho] "Yes. You may carry any deadly weapon concealed in your vehicle including a loaded or unloaded firearm. However, if the firearm is a handgun, you must be at least 18 years of age, a citizen of the United States or a current member of the United States Armed Forces and not disqualified under Idaho law from obtaining a concealed weapons license for a reason other than not having attained 18 years of age." (https://www.ag.idaho.gov/office-resources/concealed-weapons/)

[Utah] "It is ILLEGAL to have a loaded rifle, shotgun, or muzzle-loading rifle in a vehicle unless; you have a valid concealed firearm permit and it is your vehicle or you have consent from the owner of the vehicle." (https://utahcarrylaws.com/utah-laws/vehicles/)

More research needed, but that's why I am here.

markm
06-12-23, 12:41
Thompson contender in 857 Magnum! :jester:

AndyLate
06-12-23, 13:46

Andy

Upon a little research, it really depends on the state. It is safe to say more states forbid it than permit it.

markm
06-12-23, 13:53

Andy

It's insane to me to not be able to drive down the road with a loaded AR on the seat. Shit. I have a loaded SBR in my pick up right now!

AndyLate
06-12-23, 14:08

"Oregon does not prohibit the open carrying of long guns in a vehicle." (https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/oregon-gun-laws-what-you-need-to-know/)

[California] "Without a CCWL, any firearm must be in a locked container or the vehicle’s trunk. A locked container is defined as a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock or similar locking device. A locked container includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but not the utility or glove compartment." (https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/california-gun-laws-what-you-need-to-know/)

[Idaho] "Yes. You may carry any deadly weapon concealed in your vehicle including a loaded or unloaded firearm. However, if the firearm is a handgun, you must be at least 18 years of age, a citizen of the United States or a current member of the United States Armed Forces and not disqualified under Idaho law from obtaining a concealed weapons license for a reason other than not having attained 18 years of age." (https://www.ag.idaho.gov/office-resources/concealed-weapons/)

[Utah] "It is ILLEGAL to have a loaded rifle, shotgun, or muzzle-loading rifle in a vehicle unless; you have a valid concealed firearm permit and it is your vehicle or you have consent from the owner of the vehicle." (https://utahcarrylaws.com/utah-laws/vehicles/)

You stated you wanted to avoid unloaded and cased. Although there are some few municipalities where they will create a headache, you can generally transport an unloaded cased (locked) firearm through any state.

The practical issues come with securing firearms overnight when traveling. Do you carry a cased long gun to and from your vehicle, have a secure "vault" for storage, or play the odds your vehicle will be safe? Obviously driving an RV and camping is different than driving a car/truck and spending the night in a hotel.

I prefer to carry a pistol legally in my car truck and into hotels. I sincerely wish you luck in your travels.

Andy

PS I am not trying to play devil's advocate regarding the long guns. I often transport at least one rifle between Alabama and South Dakota when I visit family but it sure is a simpler trip with a handgun.

Disciple
06-12-23, 14:45
It's all kind of a grey area to me which is why I am seeking advice. Overnighting is certainly on my mind. I think even a tent qualifies as temporary habitation making things a bit easier legally speaking? I'll certainly check. Practically I would not want an obvious gun case in my luggage which seems to imply something compact.

georgeib
06-12-23, 15:04
Tennessee

Andy

It's insane to me to not be able to drive down the road with a loaded AR on the seat. Shit. I have a loaded SBR in my pick up right now!

It's legal in Georgia.

AndyLate
06-12-23, 15:33

Alabama's law is the sole reason a pistol brace AR was attractive to me.

Andy

B Cart
06-12-23, 15:54
I keep an AR in my truck here in Utah. It can be legally carried loaded with valid CFP, but I keep it condition 3 (chamber empty, mag in and safety on).

Diamondback
06-12-23, 16:08
Step one: Buy and read THIS book.
https://www.gunlawguide.com/?v=2320522a6676

Screwball
06-12-23, 16:36
Upon a little research, it really depends on the state. It is safe to say more states forbid it than permit it.

Most of the unloaded long gun in vehicle laws come from hunting…

AndyLate
06-13-23, 07:12
Most of the unloaded long gun in vehicle laws come from hunting…

For sure, but that will not stop an overzealous officer and "progressive" DA from pursuing a case against a non hunter.

Andy

jsbhike
06-13-23, 16:04

Andy

Tennessee

Kentucky

I had forgot about loaded long guns in a vehicle really being an issue other than open East Germany fan club states till seeing it mentioned along with braces in the last few years.

One I do recall:

https://bayoushooter.com/threads/the-louis-awerbuck-belt.17476/

Pappabear
06-13-23, 16:25
I would think a handgun and shotgun would cover you. If you can’t take an AR where you’re going. I’d like an MP5 but these silly laws get in the way of protecting oneself.

PB

MegademiC
06-13-23, 19:02
You can carry whatever you want if 1. You dont get pulled over. 2. Have it out of sight

My go-to low-stress option is g19w/rds+silencer. Legal in all the states I currently care to travel to and is good out to 100yds+

kerplode
06-17-23, 11:20
My personal threat analysis tells me that the greatest risk to personal safety and security I face when traveling comes from an interaction with LE. Given that, guns stay home.

StainlessSteelRat
06-17-23, 14:07

Andy

Arizona gtg with whatever. Most are rolling hot here.

henri
06-17-23, 14:24
Interstate travel.... Long gun: Beretta 1301 Handgun: S&W model 627 8rd .357 revolver (2.65" barrel). Easy ammo availability, not an 'assault' rifle, no 'high cap' mag, so few jurisdictional issues, except of course in shitholes such as chicago, nyc, new jersey, massachusetts and the like. These are the items I bring along on road trips, functional, discreet, and somewhat formidable should serious purposes arise.

ubet
06-21-23, 17:54

Andy

Mt, wy, nv, id, az to start

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WillBrink
06-21-23, 18:31

You have to look at the laws of each state you plan to travel through. That's best practices to avoid potential issues. That's what I always do.

Diamondback
06-21-23, 21:40
You have to look at the laws of each state you plan to travel through. That's best practices to avoid potential issues. That's what I always do.

Hence my reco of Kappas's book, though Handgunlaw.us is a good one-stop shop too.

ubet
06-22-23, 13:51
In your life, how many times have you been pulled over by the cops? And of those times, how many were you searched, without consent?

Yes I know random shit happens, but be cautious, drive the speed limit, and keep your eyes open. Last of all, DON’T TALK TO THE COPS! I’m not advocating for breaking laws.

When I still lived in Ca *insert massive cringe * I spent a lot of time on calguns forums. I remember one thread, it had something to do with legal carry in a campsite and in a forest. I forget what type of carry it was. But their was a 5 page debate on how far from the road, if hiking, you would need to put an empty sidearm into a locked case to walk across the road, then how far on the other side of the road until you could retrieve said sidearm from said case and load it/carry it. All that worry to cross an untraveled road, with a gun. Some people get REALLY wrapped up in minor details.

I would suggest, if going into ca, know the demographic. I would follow the law to the letter if going into sf, la or any of the commie stronghold’s. If you’re in the Central Valley, sierras, northern ca they are a lot more gun friendly.

Again I’m not advocating breaking any laws. Use some common sense though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markm
06-22-23, 14:02
You can carry whatever you want if 1. You dont get pulled over. 2. Have it out of sight

I remember watching the Highway Patrol shows where they'd have the chicken shit mother fukking UTAH Highway patrol pulling cars over for dumb shit like something hanging of the rear view mirror. Then ball bust the people until they found something.

I'm generally pro LE, but there are some shitty fukkers out there like that. "you don't have any guns or drugs right?... you don't mind if I take a look?" Fukk off!

StainlessSteelRat
07-13-23, 17:01
Do your homework and comply with the most restrictive state you'll traverse. Some states allow you to pass through with something not kosher there but legal where you live, as long as it's stored legally by that state's (unconstitutional) laws. Laws change often though, and I haven't traveled anywhere my CCW isn't honored in some time. Research is a must. Also, have your attorney on speed dial.

G woody
07-26-23, 17:00
I remember watching the Highway Patrol shows where they'd have the chicken shit mother fukking UTAH Highway patrol pulling cars over for dumb shit like something hanging of the rear view mirror. Then ball bust the people until they found something.

I'm generally pro LE, but there are some shitty fukkers out there like that. "you don't have any guns or drugs right?... you don't mind if I take a look?" Fukk off!

Markm, I'm with you Bro. Some states just aren't worth traveling thru. My Daughter lived in Portland, OR for several years (god forbid) thankfully she moved to KY !!