PDA

View Full Version : Sig P226 Slim grips?

rathos
12-30-08, 16:25
Hello All,

Sorry if this has been covered before but I could find nothing after doing a search on this forum. I have been looking for a pair of slimmer grips for my 226. So far it appears that the aluminum grips from hogue might be slimmer, but there are none in any of the local gun stores for me to look at, and I don't want to throw down $115 to find out if they are. Does anyone know of slimmer grips for the 226 or if the aluminum ones are slimmer?

Thanks!

sigmundsauer
12-30-08, 17:22
Yes, the Hogue aluminums are slimmer, but not by much. Mine made a noticeable difference for me. I prefer the aesthetics of the SIG-branded aluminums, made by Hogue, but they are more expensive. Hard to get much slimmer than factory plastic, though. The aluminum checkering provides much better traction.

Tim

noops
12-30-08, 18:18
I have the hogue aluminum grips on my P229, and they helped more than I thought. First they are a little slimmer, but more importantly, the backstrap is cut a little closer the the frame, so it gives me a more comfortable reach on the DA-trigger stroke. It's a little bit, but it made a big difference. I didn't want to use a short trigger because while those help with DA-trigger, they often screw up peoples' SA-trigger pull.

Finally, they smoothed out what I call, "the shoulder." The sharp hump on the left side always annoyed me when manipulating the firearm and when just plain gripping because I use a thumbs forward grip. The hogue shoulder is smaller and smoother giving me a better grip AND better access to the decocker and the slide stop.

They are also considerably more grippy than the stock grips. Hogue also (supposedly) has some G10 grips coming out in the next few months.

noops
12-30-08, 18:22
p.s. The one downside of the aluminum grips is that they can get really damn cold sometimes. In cold weather, do not lick.

ra2bach
01-05-09, 12:58
I have the hogue aluminum grips on my P229, and they helped more than I thought. First they are a little slimmer, but more importantly, the backstrap is cut a little closer the the frame, so it gives me a more comfortable reach on the DA-trigger stroke. It's a little bit, but it made a big difference. I didn't want to use a short trigger because while those help with DA-trigger, they often screw up peoples' SA-trigger pull.

Finally, they smoothed out what I call, "the shoulder." The sharp hump on the left side always annoyed me when manipulating the firearm and when just plain gripping because I use a thumbs forward grip. The hogue shoulder is smaller and smoother giving me a better grip AND better access to the decocker and the slide stop.

They are also considerably more grippy than the stock grips. Hogue also (supposedly) has some G10 grips coming out in the next few months.

you're saying that these are better than the stock plastic ones on the 229?

I like thin. I already have the short trigger. tried and could not use the Hogue rubber ones and am still wishing for something just a little smaller than the stock plastic. and I know what you are talking about with the "shoulder". I filed mine down.

PPGMD
01-07-09, 22:01
p.s. The one downside of the aluminum grips is that they can get really damn cold sometimes. In cold weather, do not lick.

Hogue is fixing that, they are now going to make the Extreme Series grips out of G10.