PDA

View Full Version : Forward Control Design Parts and Tools

davidjinks
06-16-23, 18:18
I made a couple updates to my LE6933. Decided to use Vltor A5 extension, along with FCD CN5F castle nut (For use with the A5) and the ESF-H1 QD end plate. Also purchased their Joint Castle Nut wrench, easily one of the best tool purchases I’ve ever made. I gotta say, FCD makes some solid parts. I’m not sure what magic they’re using to get their tolerances as tight as they do, but BRAVO FCD!

In the future, I will be buying my parts from this company.

Edited to add: Got out to the range yesterday to zero a couple of rifles. The 6933 functioned flawlessly with the A5. Smoothed out the recoil and piled the brass in a nice neat pile.

titsonritz
06-16-23, 19:16
I gotta say, FCD makes some solid parts. I’m not sure what magic they’re using to get their tolerances as tight as they do, but BRAVO FCD!]

Roger Wang is an AR super geek.

I've got all the parts/tools you've mention plus a bunch more, I've been a FCD fan from his early days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NstcyHjuvCs

Wake27
06-16-23, 19:31
I made a couple updates to my LE6933. Decided to use Vltor A5 extension, along with FCD CN5F castle nut (For use with the A5) and the ESF-H1 QD end plate. Also purchased their Joint Castle Nut wrench, easily one of the best tool purchases I’ve ever made. I gotta say, FCD makes some solid parts. I’m not sure what magic they’re using to get their tolerances as tight as they do, but BRAVO FCD!

Not sure what looks better, the staking or paint job. Nicely done.

Roger Wang is an AR super geek.

I've got all the parts/tools you've mention plus a bunch more, I've been a FCD fan from his early days.

I've got 21 orders directly from them starting in FEB of 2016. Plus I've bought FCD parts at Brownells and PA. I don't want to know how much I've spent total...but several FCD parts on mandatory on ARs for me.

davidjinks
06-16-23, 20:22
Edited

davidjinks
06-16-23, 20:26
I appreciate that! A couple years back I made my own staking tool that mimics what Colt uses at their factory. It worked extremely well, but it was a pain in the ass to get the right amount of material in to the stake. I recently switched the Starett center punches and I feel they do a better job.

Rustoleum camo for the paint. Took about 10 minutes from start to finish.

Not sure what looks better, the staking or paint job. Nicely done.

I've got 21 orders directly from them starting in FEB of 2016. Plus I've bought FCD parts at Brownells and PA. I don't want to know how much I've spent total...but several FCD parts on mandatory on ARs for me.

Uncas47
06-16-23, 21:48
Well conceived, well built components and tools. Nice stake job maestro!

Duffy
06-17-23, 10:32
Thank you guys for your kind words and support!

Our castle nuts are made on Swiss machines and have class 3 threads. Most of the parts are made by aerospace and medical equipment shops that are ISO 9000 certified. We have certifications from the shops where the shops that source the material (all US material), shops that machine them, heat treat, coat, and laser engrave as well.

Folks think we turn a $0.30 of steel into a $70 products, the clam shells and cards the products are packaged in (sourced from MO) cost about $0.50 alone.

I've been on the board since Grant started it years ago, and have met many of you guys over the years. We're grateful for the support and friendship, thank you guys :)

ViniVidivici
06-17-23, 11:29
Now that I'm a customer, I think of you guys when I look up on a clear summer night! What made you choose Cygnus?

Very happy with the Scmidt 2 stage trigger of yours I just put in a build. Been shooting and training with that gun alot lately, loving it.

I see more FCD parts in my future.

Also appreciate the sense of humor on the package I received. Said: well trained "weather balloon" shipping monkey. That was a riot!

titsonritz
06-17-23, 12:20
What made you choose Cygnus?

Go listen/watch the Podcast I posted above...his design concept, starting out, business model, the Cygnus thing...tons of information in there.

davidjinks
06-17-23, 12:33
I knew you were a member here, but I couldn’t remember your user name.

You guys had the Joint Muzzle Device Wrench in stock, I just ordered it about an hour ago. You’ll be getting more business from me in the future.

Question: Can I use the CN5F castle nut with a standard USGI Receiver extension?

Thank you guys for your kind words and support!

Our castle nuts are made on Swiss machines and have class 3 threads. Most of the parts are made by aerospace and medical equipment shops that are ISO 9000 certified. We have certifications from the shops where the shops that source the material (all US material), shops that machine them, heat treat, coat, and laser engrave as well.

Folks think we turn a $0.30 of steel into a $70 products, the clam shells and cards the products are packaged in (sourced from MO) cost about $0.50 alone.

I've been on the board since Grant started it years ago, and have met many of you guys over the years. We're grateful for the support and friendship, thank you guys :)

Duffy
06-17-23, 13:37
You can, but CN5F is slightly longer, and will not allow stocks to fully collapse. It's made for the longer Vltor RE-A5, our RE5F, and A5 compatible REs.

For the logo, this is the reason we chose it: https://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.com/FCD-Logo_ep_61-1.html

I didn't want another overused logo like a Greek helmet, skulls, crossed swords, etc., nothing wrong with them but I wanted a logo that doesn't disclose what we do, this goes for our company name too.

Please mention M4C and we'll throw in extra swag, thank you guys!

prepare
06-17-23, 15:01
Thats an interesting redesign on the trigger. When did that come about?

titsonritz
06-17-23, 15:53
https://i.imgur.com/E1jDngX.jpg

Duffy
06-17-23, 16:04
It's a Schmid trigger, we didn't design it. I have an idea but it's strictly about the trigger bow, not the mechanism.

Thats an interesting redesign on the trigger. When did that come about?

ST911
06-17-23, 16:06
FCD is outstanding stuff. Have a box full of plates waiting to mount optics on pistols, and a variety of gear already in service.

Wake27
06-17-23, 16:08
https://i.imgur.com/E1jDngX.jpg

My brain was confused at first with that being on the wrong side.

titsonritz
06-17-23, 16:11
My brain was confused at first with that being on the wrong side.

They go both ways, just one of their strengths.

davidjinks
06-17-23, 16:12
PHRASING!!!

They go both ways, just one of their strengths.

JediGuy
06-17-23, 16:57
PHRASING!!!

Watch your phrasiology!

Disciple
06-17-23, 17:20
For the logo, this is the reason we chose it: https://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.com/FCD-Logo_ep_61-1.html

The duck thing made me laugh. To my eye the proportion is closer to that of a goose than either a duck or a swan.

titsonritz
06-17-23, 17:34
FCD is outstanding stuff. Have a box full of plates waiting to mount optics on pistols, and a variety of gear already in service.

I don't even have an MOS Glock, every optic cut on my pistols are direct mount, but I still have an FCD RMR MOS plate in my parts bin "just in case" (it was too good a deal to pass up).

A couple things about FCD though my lens...

Once upon a time, my most desired anticipation was his selector. I am left handed, for a lot of years I took the LAV approach, used standard controls and adopted my manual of arms accordingly, but one day decided the grass was going to be greener on the other side and wanted ambi-controls. Having rapped a knuckle and hooked a fingernail on the FA while using my (AXTS at the time) Raptor CH I really appreciated the FCD LDFA. I went though every available ambi-mag release, FCD won hands down and continues to do so, same with bolt releases, but no selector. I settled on a mix of BAD-ASS, BAD-CASS and Radian Talon selectors. I was familiar with Roger's background with Battle Arms and just knew he didn't want to deal with selectors anymore, but knew if he moved on one it was going to be special. Enter the FCD/SOLGW "Quick" aka ASF-50Q...nailed it. No screws to loosen, no springs and detents to crust up and **** up, just heavy bulletproof construction with nothing to choke. The offset levers are genius and avoid contact with trigger finger. I still have a couple a BAD-ASS & Talon selectors in service but I've have convert most of my guns to the Quick and moving forward that is what they'll get.

I really appreciate that FCD continues to honor IG's discount. Will was the one that originally turned me onto FCD and think it is a fitting tribute that Roger still accepts his discount code.

One of these days I'm going to score a OD EPC.

e z money
06-17-23, 17:40
I have been really impressed by Forward Control products. I like the Schmid trigger and I got the castle nut and I found out later is designed for use with Vltor A5. I put it on my LMT carbine buffer tube and it works great. The Magpul MOE SL stock collapses fully. I wanted a castle nut that covered more threads than a standard castle nut and OD green. Their Cerakote finish on the nut and end plate match the color of the Magpul furniture perfect.

https://i.imgur.com/PpkiGj8.jpg

davidjinks
06-17-23, 18:01
That’s good to know about the CN5F castle nut. I like the fact that it covers up more of the threads than the standard castle nut. It’s a solid piece of kit and it is esthetically pleasing to the eye.

I have been really impressed by Forward Control products. I like the Schmid trigger and I got the castle nut and I found out later is designed for use with Vltor A5. I put it on my LMT carbine buffer tube and it works great. The Magpul MOE SL stock collapses fully. I wanted a castle nut that covered more threads than a standard castle nut and OD green. Their Cerakote finish on the nut and end plate match the color of the Magpul furniture perfect.

https://i.imgur.com/PpkiGj8.jpg

davidjinks
06-17-23, 18:04
Looks like I will be purchasing an ambi-safety as well. I like the Schmid ambi with the short lever, but it does get annoying at times when you go to press it off and it snags up on the trigger finger.

I don't even have an MOS Glock, every optic cut on my pistols are direct mount, but I still have an FCD RMR MOS plate in my parts bin "just in case" (it was too good a deal to pass up).

Once upon a time, my most desired anticipation was his selector. I am left handed, for a lot of years I took the LAV approach, used standard controls and adopted my manual of arms accordingly, but one day decided the grass was going to be greener on the other side and wanted ambi-controls. Having rapped a knuckle and hooked a fingernail on the FA while using my (AXTS at the time) Raptor CH I really appreciated the FCD LDFA. I went though every available ambi-mag release, FCD won hands down and continues to do so, same with bolt releases, but no selector. I settled on a mix of BAD-ASS, BAD-CASS and Radian Talon selectors. I was familiar with Roger's background with Battle Arms and just knew he didn't want to deal with selectors anymore, but knew if he moved on one it was going to be special. Enter the FCD/SOLGW "Quick" aka ASF-50Q...nailed it. No screws to loosen, no springs and detents to crust up and **** up, just heavy bulletproof construction with nothing to choke. The offset levers are genius and avoid contact with trigger finger. I still have a couple a BAD-ASS & Talon selectors in service but I've have convert most of my guns to the Quick and moving forward that is what they'll get.

I really appreciate that FCD continues to honor IG's discount. Will was the one that originally turned me onto FCD and think it is a fitting tribute that Roger still accepts his discount code.

Uncas47
06-17-23, 18:26
I still have the rubber duck Roger gave me some time ago, it sits next to my shave mug. After dealing direct with Roger for years, I now get FCD from Rooftop Defense as they are fellow Arkies and I get free Ramen with every order. Edible swag FTW.

Wake27
06-17-23, 18:28

LDFA, EMR, and ABC/R are on every single rifle I have (which is a few...). CNF, ASF-50Q, and RBF are on all but maybe one or two. There's other things that are sprinkled on various rifles but all of those go into everything I build from the ground up. I've fought off the temptation of a lower so far, just because I don't want to mix and match ambi vs non-ambi lowers. I assume I'll give in at some point though.

SOB. I just noticed the GBF 0.625. My Badgers have been great but I've been needing some of those.

davidjinks
06-17-23, 18:30
First time I ordered from Rooftop, my package came in and when I opened it, there sits on the top a package of Ramen noodles. I laughed my ass off! Not too mention, the return address has Senior Sweatshop listed as the sender.

Edited to add: I just ordered for the first time from Revival Defense, I got a small pack of Haribo gummy bears with my order.

I still have the rubber duck Roger gave me some time ago, it sits next to my shave mug. After dealing direct with Roger for years, I now get FCD from Rooftop Defense as they are fellow Arkies and I get free Ramen with every order. Edible swag FTW.

Duffy
06-17-23, 18:54
Sol (Rooftop Defense) and Akshay (Revival Defense) are both very good friends of ours, we are all like minded folks serving our customers the best we know how.

The ASF, it has a bit of history. It is a joint project with SOLGW. Titsonritz is correct, I wanted nothing to do with safeties after I left BAD, didn't even carry them. In 2018 I figured it was time to dust off an old design. I had a non-compete with BAD at the time, we mutually agreed to let it go so we could start developing our own.

It was to be a design with only long and short lever options, but ASF does have the q lever (offset lever) option. In both the standard, non-offset, and the q lever form factors, the short lever is wider than the long lever. We tried to salvage the lost surface area by giving it more width.

The q lever (offset lever) has its lever off center. For a 90 degree ASF, when the safety is on FIRE, the lever is shifted towards the rear, this allows most users to access the lever and rotate it to SAFE without breaking his grip. For a 50 degree ASF, the offset nature of the lever elevates the lever when the safety is on FIRE, this elevated position mitigates the likelihood of the user's extended trigger finger inadvertently putting the safety on SAFE.

There's more info here https://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.com/ASF-Design-in-focus_ep_86-1.html

The reason we (BAD at the time) went from 45 to 50 degrees is that we found with just the right trigger, lower and safety, with the safety set to SAFE, one can pull the trigger very hard, cam and rotate the safety, and drop the hammer. With 50 degrees or more, this won't happen.

ASF is at 50 degrees but not 55, 60, as I think anything more than 60 it'd be very close to vertical and nearly 90 degrees and no longer a short throw.

kyjd75
06-17-23, 18:56
Roger, big Centurion Arms fan here. Wondering if you could comment on your relationship with Monty LeClair and Centurion Arms? Their stuff is great and I am sure the items they make for you are as well.

Duffy
06-17-23, 21:47
Monty and Corrie are awesome people, we love working with them. Monty is of the same mind set, they don't make BS products because these make money. He's designed quite a few great products and we're a big fan of the company, Monty and Corrie :)

davidjinks
06-18-23, 17:29
Mr. Wang,

Another question for you in regards to your rails. I understand that the barrel nut is 7075 and the rail is 6000 series aluminum. Is the locking system for the rail to barrel nut a clamp style lock up or wedgelock? Also, will a cut FSB fit under the rail?

Duffy
06-19-23, 07:15
CMT uses a barrel nut with a groove, the clamps have a ridge that indexes to the groove, they're then tightened. A cut FSB should fit just fine, CMT didn't follow the super slim handguards trend, there's ample space for a Crane spec low profile gas block.

davidjinks
06-20-23, 04:45
Thank you sir!

CMT uses a barrel nut with a groove, the clamps have a ridge that indexes to the groove, they're then tightened. A cut FSB should fit just fine, CMT didn't follow the super slim handguards trend, there's ample space for a Crane spec low profile gas block.

Stickman
06-20-23, 14:47

CMT makes some bomb proof quad rails. Not that that has much to do with this, but they are often overlooked. I have a bunch of builds with CMT rails, and they are all rock solid.

Stickman
06-20-23, 14:49
Monty and Corrie are awesome people, we love working with them. Monty is of the same mind set, they don't make BS products because these make money. He's designed quite a few great products and we're a big fan of the company, Monty and Corrie :)

One of these day we should all meet up and let Monty buy us beer. Monty is incredibly like minded, and one of the industry people that really stands out as a great guy.

Dutch110
06-20-23, 16:11
If you look at all my builds in the safe they have several things in common. BCM, Centurion, SOLGW but all wearing FCD. Once you put together a rifle using their components the difference is noticeable. Strong as milspec but mo better.

Duffy
06-20-23, 17:07
Monty and Corrie are incredibly wonderful people, I remember talking to him back in 2011 or 2012 when he was still active duty in Coronado, we (BAD at the time) were developing short throw M16 safeties, and he wanted a 0-45-90 safety. We actually made a prototype, it didn't work and needed a simple tweak, by that time we had decided it differed too drastically from the conventional safety, and went with the 0-50-180 arrangement instead, which we (now FCD) has been making since 2020.

I doubt he remembers it, I was in awe back then as I'm today when I talk to a legend that is Monty, he is one of the nicest guys I've ever come across in the industry.

kyjd75
06-20-23, 17:10
One of these day we should all meet up and let Monty buy us beer. Monty is incredibly like minded, and one of the industry people that really stands out as a great guy.

I would love to be a member of that group.

Dutch110
06-20-23, 17:14
Monty and Corrie are incredibly wonderful people, I remember talking to him back in 2011 or 2012 when he was still active duty in Coronado, we (BAD at the time) were developing short throw M16 safeties, and he wanted a 0-45-90 safety. We actually made a prototype, it didn't work and needed a simple tweak, by that time we had decided it differed too drastically from the conventional safety, and went with the 0-50-180 arrangement instead, which we (now FCD) has been making since 2020.

I doubt he remembers it, I was in awe back then as I'm today when I talk to a legend that is Monty, he is one of the nicest guys I've ever come across in the industry.

Roger,

Thank you again for the outstanding customer service today via email (50 degree center guy here.) I said it in private and I will say it here. Not only do you make outstanding products but your customer service is beyond reproach. Other companies in this industry (and others) could learn a thing or two. My hats off to you.

Jim

Duffy
06-20-23, 17:31
Hi Jim, any time. It's easy for us to print the labels and exchange it, for folks that don't print their own labels and stamps, going to the post office is a pain in the butt lol.

Many things we do are unusual for typical businesses. A for profit business exists to make profit, we're somewhat different in that money isn't our compass. I think when folks know that about us, many things we do that are inexplicable will make sense. We have a mission, it's making things that matter, for the folks that matter to us. Profit never was and never will be a metric in our decision making, or an objective.

So we spend $3.50 just to coat each bolt catch, order 10K screws at 30 cents each (made on Swiss machines in the US) because we don't want to buy or use Chinese made screws, have everything made in shops in the US from whom we demand certifications for US sourced material, machining and all post processes. These things a bean counter would never go for because it's bad for profit, and few would ever know.

It's the norm for us.

e z money
06-20-23, 18:36
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kADQX_xmrSY&pp=ygUdZm9yd2FyZCBjb250cm9scyBiY2cgcGh5c2ljYWw%3D

The inspection that School of the American Rifle did on the Forward Controls BCG was very impressive. Definitely a quality product.

e z money
06-24-23, 13:58
That’s good to know about the CN5F castle nut. I like the fact that it covers up more of the threads than the standard castle nut. It’s a solid piece of kit and it is esthetically pleasing to the eye.

Just letting you know, I tried a CTR stock on that tube with that nut and the stock doesn't fully collapse. Looks like it works with the MOE SL but not the CTR.

militarymoron
06-24-23, 15:01

Good old days for sure. For those who don't know, I've known Roger for a long time (before BAD - maybe 15 years or more?), and we used to be part of the same private shooting group where we'd shoot pistols and rifles together monthly, have fun, and try out new designs and gear.

When he was with BAD and then FCD, I was the willing guinea pig for any ambi prototype testing as I was a very vocal lefty interested in any sort of ambi controls for the AR-15, which is why I featured so many on my site. Roger always paid attention to detail, because he felt it was worth making incremental improvements, even if they were small. He just wanted to design and make the best possible parts for the AR, and we'd discuss those tiny details at length.

Monty would also stop by some times - such a funny and down-to-earth walking weapons encyclopedia. I gave Monty one of my MM skull patches once, and the next time he showed up at the range he was sporting it on the back of his cap. He said that he had told his seamstress to sew a small patch of velcro on the back of his cap so he could swap out patches there, but she misunderstood and sewed my patch on his cap permanently. He just shrugged and laughed.

davidjinks
06-24-23, 15:31
Thanks for that info! I’ve got an MOE SL sitting in the cabinet. However, I primarily use SOPMOD stocks and run them at the #2 or 3 position. I’ll give it a try none the less.

Just letting you know, I tried a CTR stock on that tube with that nut and the stock doesn't fully collapse. Looks like it works with the MOE SL but not the CTR.

davidjinks
06-24-23, 15:35
Quick update for FCD…

Thank you for the extremely fast shipping. I made an order on Saturday the 17th , had a tracking number in about a minute, and the package was delivered on the 20th.

I’ll be placing another order this weekend with you.

Duffy
06-24-23, 16:10
MM, you were the reason BAD made the ambi safety, which put it on the map, up to that point BAD was making M1A and Garand accessories. You were also one of the reasons BAD took off, always generous with your thoughts and input for our ideas, and time to test and write up reviews, I will never forget.

Other two for whom I will forever be grateful: Army Chief and Will Larson. Both gave a small, unknown company (in 2010) a chance to prove itself. Sadly both have passed, I don't think I'm arrogant to begin with, but with these two great folks, I learned there was much I didn't know, I had learned not only knowledge, but humility from them. Freely they gave to the community, to this date we try to emulate that, and be a part of the community.

militarymoron
06-24-23, 17:40
I was always happy to be involved in the design/testing process for good products such as yours, Roger.
I learned a lot from AC and Will as well - they're still missed.

Uncas47
06-24-23, 17:45
MM, you were the reason BAD made the ambi safety, which put it on the map, up to that point BAD was making M1A and Garand accessories. You were also one of the reasons BAD took off, always generous with your thoughts and input for our ideas, and time to test and write up reviews, I will never forget.

Other two for whom I will forever be grateful: Army Chief and Will Larson. Both gave a small, unknown company (in 2010) a chance to prove itself. Sadly both have passed, I don't think I'm arrogant to begin with, but with these two great folks, I learned there was much I didn't know, I had learned not only knowledge, but humility from them. Freely they gave to the community, to this date we try to emulate that, and be a part of the community.

Your respect for the TDP while seeking ways to refine it is very welcome. Your efforts speak for themselves without having to belittle anything.

Duffy
06-24-23, 18:13
We make changes to improve components when possible. As we always base new designs off TDP prints, we've learned a lot of the specs are simply brilliant. The 3 gas rings design, shape of the charging handle are two that come to mind immediately. Little appreciated until one takes a deep dive into what they offer, and how they're superior to some efforts which changed, sometimes result in degradation of reliability and ergonomics.

davidjinks
06-30-23, 12:18
Roger,

Y’all are killin me with your return addresses! I know my post guy very well and always has this look of…”Dude, what the **** are you ordering!?!? :D

Another question for you: do you recommend the Accuwasher kits over the standard shim kits? I’m seriously tempted just to go keymo for my suppressor hosts. It coming down to Deadair, Silencerco, and Surefire. I’m just really diggin the keymo setup.

JediGuy
06-30-23, 17:47
6315KM and 6310KM are great if you need Keymo muzzle devices.

davidjinks
06-30-23, 19:01
I’m really stuck between keymo/Deadair/Silencerco and Surefire.

All I want out of the suppressor is to knock down the blast in doors.

6315KM and 6310KM are great if you need Keymo muzzle devices.

Duffy
07-01-23, 07:18
6315KM-S for 5.56mm will be out by the end of July. We will have 3 different lengths: 6315KM-L (2.7"), 6315KM (2.4"), and 6315KM-S (1.9").

It wasn't our plan to make 3 different lengths/versions. 6315KM's length was not the result of needing to take any barrel length to non-NFA length, it's a 6315 (non-mount) with a Keymo interface. 6315KM-L was a a product we originally developed for Primary Arms to take a 13.9" to over 16", PA opted to adopt the longer 1215KM brake, so we ended up with the longer 6315KM-L. With 0.2" of shims, it can also take a 13.7" to over 16.1".

6315KM-S (short) existed in the 9mm version for years, we decided to bring it to 5.56mm as well. As we gradually reduced the flash suppressor/comp portion of the device (we had to for our Plan B compatible 6315RF), we test flash suppression and muzzle rise compensation performance against the A2. The short 6315KM-S, 6315XE-S, and 6315RF all performed well as the A2.

There are more pics here: https://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.com/size-matters-sometimes.html

The realization that a longer A1 or A2 bird cage flash suppressor doesn't necessarily work better than a shorter one came about when we tested 6310 (5/8x24), back then, Armalite's "A2" was longer than the M16/AR15 A2, 6310 did just as well as the longer Armalite flash suppressor.

Duffy
07-01-23, 07:25
We try to have fun with the address sometimes lol.

Re: washers, Accuwasher shims are good. Give us a month and we'll be introducing something quite unlike anything anyone has seen, the patent was filed and I think you guys will really like it. It's not our design or patent, we do have a hand in the ergonomics/user friendly phase and produce the user manual and video. it's very impressive in the way it works.

Roger,

Y’all are killin me with your return addresses! I know my post guy very well and always has this look of…”Dude, what the **** are you ordering!?!? :D

Another question for you: do you recommend the Accuwasher kits over the standard shim kits? I’m seriously tempted just to go keymo for my suppressor hosts. It coming down to Deadair, Silencerco, and Surefire. I’m just really diggin the keymo setup.

JediGuy
07-01-23, 09:40
Dangit. I just bought a second Dead Air KeyMicro flash hider.
Looks like I’ll be buying the 5.56 6315KM-S when it comes out.

davidjinks
07-01-23, 11:48
Sign me up Roger!

We try to have fun with the address sometimes lol.

Re: washers, Accuwasher shims are good. Give us a month and we'll be introducing something quite unlike anything anyone has seen, the patent was filed and I think you guys will really like it. It's not our design or patent, we do have a hand in the ergonomics/user friendly phase and produce the user manual and video. it's very impressive in the way it works.

davidjinks
07-03-23, 20:33
Got a second Vltor A5 installed using more FCD parts. I also used the RBF. Note to self…the spring is very springy and will launch your RBF to the ceiling. I like the fact that the cignus ended up being at the top.

CN5F

https://i.imgur.com/vQoZACN.jpg

RBF
https://i.imgur.com/CHgtIJ3.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ZnTCEdV.jpg

FCD tools slowly taking over.

https://i.imgur.com/YvVtHRt.jpg

4 solid companies I’ve been dealing with

https://i.imgur.com/6fEBvoz.jpg

ViniVidivici
07-03-23, 20:43
I've got 2 of those stickers on my safe too...

davidjinks
07-06-23, 17:12
Well, that sucks. My Imgur account is no more apparently. Anyone know how to get it back?

Dutch110
07-07-23, 15:06
6315KM-S for 5.56mm will be out by the end of July. We will have 3 different lengths: 6315KM-L (2.7"), 6315KM (2.4"), and 6315KM-S (1.9").

It wasn't our plan to make 3 different lengths/versions. 6315KM's length was not the result of needing to take any barrel length to non-NFA length, it's a 6315 (non-mount) with a Keymo interface. 6315KM-L was a a product we originally developed for Primary Arms to take a 13.9" to over 16", PA opted to adopt the longer 1215KM brake, so we ended up with the longer 6315KM-L. With 0.2" of shims, it can also take a 13.7" to over 16.1".

6315KM-S (short) existed in the 9mm version for years, we decided to bring it to 5.56mm as well. As we gradually reduced the flash suppressor/comp portion of the device (we had to for our Plan B compatible 6315RF), we test flash suppression and muzzle rise compensation performance against the A2. The short 6315KM-S, 6315XE-S, and 6315RF all performed well as the A2.

There are more pics here: https://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.com/size-matters-sometimes.html

The realization that a longer A1 or A2 bird cage flash suppressor doesn't necessarily work better than a shorter one came about when we tested 6310 (5/8x24), back then, Armalite's "A2" was longer than the M16/AR15 A2, 6310 did just as well as the longer Armalite flash suppressor.

Roger will the 6315RF take a 14.5 to 16? The guys at OCL speak highly of the Reardon system and I kind of want to give it a try. Thanks!

Duffy
07-08-23, 08:08
6315RF is very short to accommodate suppressors with a short space for muzzle devices, it's even shorter than the A2 at 1.725. 0.3" worth of washers will need to be added in order to bring a 14.5" to 16, leaving 0.2" of thread engagement. It's been done before, some don't like having this much reduced thread engagement.

We'll be releasing a muzzle device timing system that offers variable timing, but it's not 0.3" long.

Stickman
07-09-23, 17:00
We'll be releasing a muzzle device timing system that offers variable timing, but it's not 0.3" long.

Color me interested. I think its great that new options are coming forward for timing. If we look at timing barrel nuts, we all kind of figure that was just how things were done. All of a sudden, most rails don't need a timed barrel nut and the world is a better (easier) place. If your magicians can do something similar for muzzle devices, I hope it sweeps everything else away.

Duffy
07-10-23, 08:13
We're just waiting for instruction manuals to be printed now.

We didn't invent it, Swiss CNC that makes a lot of our products did, we advised them on ergonomics/user friendliness input and wrote the instructions manual. Other big names have been involved in T&E and provided useful info on compatibility, it's a tiny piece of component but with out of box thinking, there's neve been anything like it.

Dutch110
07-10-23, 09:03
Color me intrigued. I hate timing muzzle devices. My OCD kicks in and I get all angsty if it is not perfect. I cant tell you how many shims I have waffled as a result lol.

Duffy
07-12-23, 09:27
RBC (reinforced battery cap) for P2 will be shipping next week. Machined from 6061, it has 2 slots, and a slightly taller profile that functions as a fence for the P2's brightness adjustment buttons.

https://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.com/assets/images/PhotoRoom_20230712_080932.jpg

davidjinks
07-13-23, 03:19
You didn’t properly burn the ends of that 550 cord…..that’s a gig for you sir!

RBC (reinforced battery cap) for P2 will be shipping next week. Machined from 6061, it has 2 slots, and a slightly taller profile that functions as a fence for the P2's brightness adjustment buttons.

https://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.com/assets/images/PhotoRoom_20230712_080932.jpg

davidjinks
07-13-23, 03:21
Same for me! I usually end up sending it out to someone who can do it.

Color me intrigued. I hate timing muzzle devices. My OCD kicks in and I get all angsty if it is not perfect. I cant tell you how many shims I have waffled as a result lol.

Duffy
07-13-23, 07:59
Gents, until it's released in a few weeks, we have to be somewhat vague about how it works. Let's just say you dial in the amount of timing you need ;)

Dutch110
07-13-23, 08:21
Gents, until it's released in a few weeks, we have to be somewhat vague about how it works. Let's just say you dial in the amount of timing you need ;)

Oh that gave me a visual. I hope I am correct because it would be pretty cool.

Dutch110
07-13-23, 08:23
Same for me! I usually end up sending it out to someone who can do it.

That's where I draw the line. I'm too cheap to do that. Instead I will waste an hour getting it 100% perfect and then rockset it in place swearing I am never going to remove said MD ever again. Only to find myself removing it 6 months later. I go through propane cannisters for my torch on a regular basis too :D

davidjinks
07-15-23, 17:28
We’re both in the same boat, just trying to get to different places. That’s the main reason I send it out to a competent person who I know will do the job correctly. This way I’m not removing it a week, month, 3 months down the road because………OCD.

That's where I draw the line. I'm too cheap to do that. Instead I will waste an hour getting it 100% perfect and then rockset it in place swearing I am never going to remove said MD ever again. Only to find myself removing it 6 months later. I go through propane cannisters for my torch on a regular basis too :D

Dutch110
07-15-23, 17:33
We’re both in the same boat, just trying to get to different places. That’s the main reason I send it out to a competent person who I know will do the job correctly. This way I’m not removing it a week, month, 3 months down the road because………OCD.

Between the two of us you're the smarter one 😁

DaBigBR
07-16-23, 10:42
Any plans for a better battery cap for the Steiner MPS, Roger? I'm not sure how big the market is, but the battery cap on the MPS is garbage.

Duffy
07-17-23, 08:17
We'll look into it, mine's all chewed up lol

DaBigBR
07-17-23, 20:11
We'll look into it, mine's all chewed up lol

Same. I originally thought guys were just not being careful but mine did not do well.

davidjinks
07-28-23, 17:58
A little long winded but I wanted to give a small update to this thread as I think it is important for everyone to know what kind of a person Roger is and how awesome his company, Forward Controls Design is.

Friday of last week, the 21st, I begin a 5th disassembly/assembly of a lower using an Vltor A5, FDC CN5F, and ESF-H1. Disassembly started out ok, however due to operator error, I failed to properly engage the FCD castle nut wrench securely onto the castle nut. This caused a major slip and damage to the castle nut and wrench.

Luckily the FCD wrench has 2 sides. I was able to flip the wrench and break the stakes and castle nut off the lower. Tube was slightly damaged (still usable, couple threads tweaked but nothing major), the end plate and castle nut were trash. Reassembly went like all the others, so I thought. I slipped again with the wrench destroying the teeth of the wrench and my last CN5F.

I reached out to Roger via email around 8ish PM eastern time. I had a response within 10 minutes and a phone call, which I missed, about 2 minutes after that. I returned the call and had a great conversation with Roger. He’s a super nice guy, absolutely walked me through installation and proper engagement of the wrench. Something I didn’t pick up on originally when doing the first 4 builds, the wrench just kind of locks in to the castle nut with no movement or play. You get this audible click (if you will) when the wrench engages the slots. I kind of just took that for granted with the first few builds.

Roger offered me a new CN5F and Joint Castle Nut Wrench but he couldn’t help me out with the buffer tube. I thanked him and told him I wasn’t looking for anything free and the castle nut would be great. Then Roger told me he has no new wrenches in stock. Instead he was going to send me an original wrench they made (engraved style) which he has used for light builds and photo shoots. He also mentioned that it was some what sentimental to him. I declined the wrench but he insisted. Being completely honest, a man I’ve never met before offered up a sentimental item to me so I can get my builds done. You don’t get that anymore in this world. I’ve had awesome customer service from many different gun makers. But Roger is absolutely legit in every way.

That Sunday I got on to Revival Defense’s website and thankfully they had the FCD castle nut wrench in stock

I received exactly what Roger said he was going to send as well as a pretty cool magnet this week.

I did not use Roger’s wrench, I just couldn’t bring myself to do it. I kept it in the bag and used the wrench I purchased from Revival. Everything went together perfectly.

Roger, I will be sending your wrench back to you. I greatly appreciate the gesture and your kindness. You’ve got a lifetime customer.

The wrench Roger sent me

https://i.imgur.com/NF7thS5.jpg

The wrench I jacked and a magnet as a reminder

https://i.imgur.com/Xwzqpdb.jpg

Completed lower, paint is curing from some touch ups

https://i.imgur.com/mIZW2P6.jpg

Uncas47
07-28-23, 21:29
Great story!!
ETA, clean stake job as well. effen spell check!!

JediGuy
07-29-23, 10:49
A little long winded

I’m dumb.

davidjinks
07-29-23, 15:48
I don’t get it….

I’m dumb.

JediGuy
07-29-23, 19:37
I don’t get it….

I read your post, and then had trouble with a CNF this morning. It was a receiver extension issue (not problem).

Duffy
08-01-23, 17:10
Thank you for your feedback! I'm rather impatient, I like to have problems solved as quickly as possible. The older JCW with machine engravings was from 2019 I think, but we make things for you guys, I rarely keep things for myself, that wrench was used on our test guns sometimes, and once used, it can't be sold as new. I wanted to get you taken care of, JCW has been out of stock for a while (still are), I'm glad you found one from our friends at Revival Defense :)

jdavis6576
08-13-23, 16:51
Picked up a new BCM complete lower and replaced the safety with a FCD 50 degree ambi, installed the FCD augmented bolt catch - dimpled and replaced the mag release with the FCD dimpled. Prefer these when working dry in the basement to the Geissele bolt catch and mag release. Now I need to buy several more. Will probably stick with currently installed Radian safeties but will definitely use FCD ambi 50 degree safeties going forward.

davidjinks
08-14-23, 17:08
I’ll be replacing my Schmid ambis with FCD.

Picked up a new BCM complete lower and replaced the safety with a FCD 50 degree ambi, installed the FCD augmented bolt catch - dimpled and replaced the mag release with the FCD dimpled. Prefer these when working dry in the basement to the Geissele bolt catch and mag release. Now I need to buy several more. Will probably stick with currently installed Radian safeties but will definitely use FCD ambi 50 degree safeties going forward.

Dutch110
08-15-23, 09:59
All my Radian ambi's have been swapped out to FCD 50's. I like the roll pin design of the FCD over the pin and spring on the Radian. And I feel the action is mo better on the FCD over the Radian too. I also like the lever options that FCD has.