PDA

View Full Version : Have you tested your guns in cold weather?

seang
12-30-08, 19:18
Last week I had left my previous duty weapon (Sig 229R) in my squad in a locked case for a few hours when it was really cold out (Minnesota). I carry the issued M&P .40 for now. We have a range in the basement of our department and I had brought the Sig with me to shoot and clean. When I attempted to fire the first round the gun didn't fire. All rounds after that did fire. I was using CCI aluminimum cased .40. My squad was parked outside before I fired the Sig that evening. We do leave the squads running in cold temps, but I had accidentally shut the heat off.

I didn't think a whole lot of it at the time, but had never had that happen. I wondered if it was from the gun being so cold. That night it was -10 below and -31 with wind chill. I shot a Beretta 92D Centurion I had brought with me also. That gun was also very cold, but fired.

I decided to leave the Sig in the case in my squad overnight when I got home last night. I have a take home car and it is kept in a locked garage. When I got to the office today I immediately went to the range and attempted to shoot the Sig. Same thing happened this time. First round didn't go off after attempting to fire it two times. I ejected that round and then fired the rest of the rounds just fine. I did fire that round later. The ammunition was warm it hadn't been left in the car.

My Sig was cleaned after I fired it last time. I had lubed it as normal. Even though I shoot alot, I won't claim to know the first thing about the mechanics of firearms, so any ideas on what this could be from?

I have considered lubricant could frozen in the the cold,but I am not overly generous with lube? Any reason the gun wouldn't fire the first and second try, but did right after I put a mag through? I will try some different ammo, but don't believe that is the cause. I have shot that same ammunition in other guns between these two instances. I also haven't had any problems with CCI even though I know some people don't like it at all. I just think it is rather concidental it happens both times only on the first shot and that round fired after a third try after I put some rounds downrange.

I am going to see what happens when I do this with my glock and M&P also. Even though there wouldn't be a reason for my gun to be exposed to the cold that long, I obviously have to spend time out in the cold tempatures more often than I would like for crashes, etc and our guns do get cold. I am curious on what will happen if I try this again.

Just thought I would share this and see if anyone else has had similar instances or can offer possible explanations. I am not criticizing the gun, but am looking for ideas on how to get to the bottom of it.

I do know this is very limited info and wouldn't call it testing, but will have to investigate further.

FYI, not that it matters, but I posted this at 10-8 forums also just to get additional results, opinons.

mark5pt56
12-30-08, 19:32
I would have your gun plumber clean out the firing pin channel. Highlt possible that it's gunked up pretty bad and congealed by the cold.

5pins
12-30-08, 23:40
I’m not vary familiar with the Sig line but isn’t the first shot double action? So the first shot is in the double action and the rest single. My thought is maybe the hammer when fired in double action in the cold is not hitting with enough force to set off the primer. I would get some carb or brake cleaner and spray the crap out of the firing pin channel to clean any crud in there and try it again.

Aristogeiton
01-05-09, 13:06
I would have your gun plumber clean out the firing pin channel. Highlt possible that it's gunked up pretty bad and congealed by the cold.

I would have to agree with Mark5pt56.

This does bring up a good point about cold weather and testing your gear.

One time the rear sight on a new 1911 of mine fell out when I was shooting it in -20 temps (Minnesota again).

The sight seemed fine in warmer temps, but it might have been that the cold temp contracted the sight enough to make it loose in the dovetail. Or not, but that's what I think.

I also had a AR-15 fail to fire on the first round in -20 temps. It had been over lubed and had been sitting out in the cold for 2 hours.

I knew it was a bad idea, but I was just shooting at the range and I was curious to see how it would function.

Seang, Thank you for being out in the cold to help us get safely through these Minnesota winters!! :D