PDA

View Full Version : $2000 AR build 14.5

CyberM4
07-03-23, 14:27
With no optic. What do you guys recommend to complete this build. I have no parts yet. I looked at KAC complete lower so far. If I order KAC LOWER. Which upper should I consider?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

georgeib
07-05-23, 09:08
I think it would help to know what your plans are for this build.

ryr8828
07-05-23, 09:15
A quick search tells me that you can buy a complete BCM 14.5 for $1675 and a daniel defense for $1900.

Why do you want to put together different parts?

Powerstroke214
07-05-23, 14:22
Just curious, why would you wish to start with a KAC lower?

I would look into a BCM, SOLGW, Sionics gets recommended a good bit as well.

DoubleW
07-05-23, 14:50
I just bought a factory complete BCM Mk2 Mod 0 lower for $399. It’s a fantastic lower and that leaves plenty for a quality upper, optic, sling, mags and ammo. A KAC lower is nice but a waste of money ultimately unless you simply want one. You could have snagged a Geissele upper recently during their sale. However, there are a number of options available from numerous quality manufacturers. Pick your poison.

CyberM4
07-05-23, 15:15
I just bought a factory complete BCM Mk2 Mod 0 lower for $399. It’s a fantastic lower and that leaves plenty for a quality upper, optic, sling, mags and ammo. A KAC lower is nice but a waste of money ultimately unless you simply want one. You could have snagged a Geissele upper recently during their sale. However, there are a number of options available from numerous quality manufacturers. Pick your poison.

Which upper did you buy BCM lower?

JediGuy
07-05-23, 16:53
I think it would help to know what your plans are for this build.

Gotta know more. The lower is the easiest part, as it doesn’t really matter. All that matters is that things are in spec and then if you care about bonus features like ambidextrous functions.

The upper is where the magic happens.

DoubleW
07-05-23, 17:02
Which upper did you buy BCM lower?

I had a spare Geissele 16” DDC Super Duty upper so that currently sits atop it. I payed $900 for that complete upper a while ago. So, for $1300, I have a top tier rifle that’ll do everything I could ever need. Plenty left for an Aimpoint, sling, couple of mags and a few boxes of ammo to zero.

CyberM4
07-06-23, 08:47
Is the Geissele upper as good as Daniel Defense upper?

DoubleW
07-06-23, 09:19
Is the Geissele upper as good as Daniel Defense upper?

“Good as” is a very subjective characterization and I lack the technical expertise to make such a claim. I have been completely satisfied will all of my Geissele uppers and complete rifles. Some folks have not. I’m confident either upper would serve you well.

CyberM4
07-06-23, 09:49
Thank you for your input

Dutch110
07-06-23, 12:44
BCM, Centurion, Geissele, Daniel Defense (and others) all offer complete rifles under your budget and would all be a fantastic choice. My OCD wouldn't allow me to mix and match uppers and lowers. Now there is NO reason you can't do that and have it all work fine. But it would drive me nuts lol. I don't even like to mix and match stripped uppers and lowers on my custom builds.

Dr Dues
07-06-23, 15:11
With no optic. What do you guys recommend to complete this build. I have no parts yet. I looked at KAC complete lower so far. If I order KAC LOWER. Which upper should I consider?

Knights.......period

No reason to "Build" (assemble) an upper, unless you just want to tinker.........

you won't go wrong

Hank6046
07-06-23, 15:15
BCM, Centurion, Geissele, Daniel Defense (and others) all offer complete rifles under your budget and would all be a fantastic choice. My OCD wouldn't allow me to mix and match uppers and lowers. Now there is NO reason you can't do that and have it all work fine. But it would drive me nuts lol. I don't even like to mix and match stripped uppers and lowers on my custom builds.

I mix and match all my uppers and lowers mainly because of cost, granted a warranty goes along way if its your only rifle. Aero lower and BCM upper for around $1400 (maybe less if you shop around), leaves $600 for a light, sling, and maybe an optic or just $600 in ammo. Honestly, $2000 can go a long way if you really focus in on what your needs will be with said rifle.

Dutch110
07-06-23, 15:38
I mix and match all my uppers and lowers mainly because of cost, granted a warranty goes along way if its your only rifle. Aero lower and BCM upper for around $1400 (maybe less if you shop around), leaves $600 for a light, sling, and maybe an optic or just $600 in ammo. Honestly, $2000 can go a long way if you really focus in on what your needs will be with said rifle.

I can build build a heck of a nice AR for 2k if we aren't including optics. But unfortunately the OP is just trying to buy an upper and lower and pin them together. In fact my latest is a 10.5 FSP SBR with a colt barrel, Centurion rail, upper, bcg and trigger and FCD parts and goodness with an Aimpoint Pro that I have just shy of 2k into it if my gazintas are correct. Same with my BCM 11.5 etc etc you get the idea. But, to your point, warranties are nice.

Dutch110
07-06-23, 15:39
Knights.......period

No reason to "Build" (assemble) an upper, unless you just want to tinker.........

you won't go wrong

I don't think he is getting a Knights upper and lower for his 2k budget.

Dr Dues
07-06-23, 15:56
I don't think he is getting a Knights upper and lower for his 2k budget.

If you contemplating a Knights lower.....their is only one upper that one should consider.

Otherwise, get a BCM and run the crap out of it and invest in training and ammo.

Dutch110
07-06-23, 17:28
If you contemplating a Knights lower.....their is only one upper that one should consider.

Otherwise, get a BCM and run the crap out of it and invest in training and ammo.

Agreed. But it ain't happening for $2k. He might get a sandcutter on TacSwap for 2k 😁

cosmo223
07-07-23, 21:57
Recently bought a complete "blemished" BCM lower for $299 from Primary Arms. I couldn't find the "blemish". BCM was selling complete uppers for under $700 recently. So cost of complete BCM rifle ended up being less than $1,000.

Look for stuff on sale. Geissele was recently selling Super Duty uppers at a deep discount. Brownells sometimes sells DD uppers w/o BCG at very competitive prices. If you can find a coupon code you can save even more. And you can always pick up a good quality Toolcraft or Microbest BCG for cheap. Hell, PSA had stripped lowers on sale for $40 last week.

Bottom line - with some patience and decent Google skills you can piece together a damn nice AR for $1,000-1,200. But if you have to have KAC you're not only going to pay top dollar, but will never find anything for less the MSRP.