PDA

View Full Version : So I have a problem…. A decent one

ubet
07-04-23, 18:49
This is a picture of a 556 lc casing. The rest of it, is in my chamber. How do I remove it?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230704/7647909a2f81a9124d95149f077256a6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

militarymoron
07-04-23, 19:01
Broken shell extractor. Do a google search for .223 broken shell extractors and you'll links to purchase and videos on how to use one.

T2C
07-04-23, 19:43
Broken shell extractor. Do a google search for .223 broken shell extractors and you'll links to purchase and videos on how to use one.

This is the way to go. I have been carrying a broken case extractor in my range bag for over 40 years. There are two kinds of shooters, those who have had case head separation and those who will.

georgeib
07-04-23, 19:47
This is the way to go. I have been carrying a broken case extractor in my range bag for over 40 years. There are two kinds of shooters, those who have had case head separation and those who will.Been thinking of getting one for 10 years. Will probably go ahead and get one for the toolbox.

Have you ever had to use yours?

ubet
07-04-23, 20:07
Ok. So I just ran one of the bore snakes down it, from the muzzle and it came right out without much problem. What would cause the case to do this though? I was going to chock it up to a bad case. I fired two more from the same batch (personal reloads) and everything was fine. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230705/28dbf4eb781bb7030eb35e26ed933f9e.jpg

kerplode
07-04-23, 20:21
How many times was that case loaded?

This is a common failure mechanism when rifle cases are loaded too many times. Setting the shoulder a little too far back when sizing can accelerate the failure because it causes the case to stretch more when firing. It's generally not all that dangerous, fortunately, because the thin web at the separation can maintain a seal with the chamber wall. Not to be confused with a case head failure...That'll ruin your day in a big way.

You should start inspecting cases for signs of incipient case head separation during brass prep...It's easy and will save you the frustration you just went through. This article describes it better than I could:
Incipient Case-Head Separation — How to Detect the Problem (https://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2021/03/incipient-case-head-separation-how-to-detect-the-problem/)

jsbhike
07-05-23, 20:30
Haven't had it happen yet, but from what I have read "most of the time" a new/tight bore brush will get it.

Still a good idea to have a ruptured case extractor handy.

prepare
07-06-23, 04:05
Sometimes a chamber brush will pull it out.

markm
07-06-23, 08:54
Sometimes the next round will jam into it and pull it out. I get partial separations all the time in 6.5cm because the headspaces are so different between guns. I won't run a sizing die for every different gun.

Diamondback
07-06-23, 16:32
Suggestion: If you have another, cut the heads off the cases, glue crystals into the primer pockets and solder earring hooks or pins onto 'em. A buddy on a local gunboard used to make these kinds of earrings for his range-buddies' wives and score some brownie points for 'em because "your guys' shooting gives me the raw material to make these," and I'm planning similarly to make my gal a pair from the first two rounds she cracks off with me as a souvenir.

ubet
07-07-23, 23:06
It was easy to get out. I’m still curious as to the why, but I’m guessing just a weak case. It was it’s first loading with me. But all my brass is from top brass.

prepare
07-08-23, 02:25
It was easy to get out. I’m still curious as to the why, but I’m guessing just a weak case. It was it’s first loading with me. But all my brass is from top brass.

What method did you use?

Disciple
07-08-23, 12:35
What method did you use?

Bore snake.

Ok. So I just ran one of the bore snakes down it, from the muzzle and it came right out without much problem.

07-09-23, 02:18
Sometimes the next round will jam into it and pull it out. That does, in fact, work, in ARs.

lysander
07-09-23, 11:17
What would cause the case to do this though?

Read this:

https://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/case-head-separation-cause-diagnosis/

Stickman
07-09-23, 13:34

Yup, sooner or later it will happen again, or to someone you know, and you can be their hero. Last time it happened to me I couldn't find my 308 shell extractor and I ran around like an idiot trying a million other things. Eventually I just bought one off Amazon, and then of course I found several more in various places at my place.

Diamondback
07-09-23, 14:24
Yup, sooner or later it will happen again, or to someone you know, and you can be their hero. Last time it happened to me I couldn't find my 308 shell extractor and I ran around like an idiot trying a million other things. Eventually I just bought one off Amazon, and then of course I found several more in various places at my place.

Note to self... get one of these for each toolkit, plus several spares--all of this in EACH major caliber I have.

Disciple
07-09-23, 14:51
Note to self... get one of these for each toolkit, plus several spares--all of this in EACH major caliber I have.

Let me know if you see one for 6.5 Grendel.

Diamondback
07-09-23, 14:53
Let me know if you see one for 6.5 Grendel.

I'll try to remember... you don't see much of ANYTHING for Grendel anymore, and this house is 5.56 & .45ACP. :) (Well, IF I can get the budget aligned before my FFL closes .450 SMC too, but that's really just a Magnum version of .45ACP.)

Rmorris
07-22-23, 13:26
Take home message:
Case head separations happen, better have a plan.
Reloads are for fun and sport, not life and death,
Repeatedly using the same cases over and over is for tight chambered bolt guns and minimally resized gun specific ammo.
Some people have weird taste in jewelry…

Diamondback
07-22-23, 15:38
Hey, the earrings were a hit with my FFL, one of Grandpa's fellow F-106 alumni asked me to make a pair for his gunshop-owner daughter and a few other ladies I know who shoot have asked to be put on the list too. :)

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/761776331485741077/1130689810902810644/image.png

pinzgauer
07-24-23, 11:45
Let me know if you see one for 6.5 Grendel.Grendel has significant case taper so is usually quite easy to extract.

30 cal bore brush on a pistol rod inserted from the breach side easily takes care of grendel separated cases. The trick is to push it a little past the case mouth it then pull backwards.

The trick is the brush bristles pointing back towards the breech push on the mouth of the case and grab.

07-24-23, 11:55
Grendel has significant case taper so is usually quite easy to extract.

30 cal bore brush on a pistol rod inserted from the breach side easily takes care of grendel separated cases. The trick is to push it a little past the case mouth it then pull backwards.

The trick is the brush bristles pointing back towards the breech push on the mouth of the case and grab.

Grendel has very little case taper, almost none. That method might work, anyway.