PDA

View Full Version : FN SCAR 15P and its 7.5" barrel? Practical?

Sid Post
07-13-23, 18:05

The FN SCAR® 15P in 5.56x45mm is the benchmark for reliability and versatility from a light recoiling, piston-driven platform, now configured in an ultra-compact pistol. This enduring platform enables all shooting positions, locking in any grip on the upper receiver under fire, a 7.5” barrel delivers unmatched maneuverability.

Is a pistol/rifle with a 7.5" 5.56 barrel effective at pistol distances? Is it an HK MP-7 surrogate? How is muzzle blast and flash? Personally, I find a 10.5" AR-15 to be really obnoxious but, if the chips were down and I needed it, a really short 5.56 would be a viable option if it is effective. Or is this really an "angry bee" versus the "angry beehive" of the MP-7?

TIA,
Sid

p.s. Right now I am using a 10mm Glock feral hog killer for heavy pistol needs. I am debating this FN SCAR "pistol" slung under my dominant shoulder as a "pistol". I live in rural Texas and have a concealed carry permit.

Disciple
07-13-23, 18:36
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?224962-Is-a-7-5-quot-Barrel-Viable
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?236286-What-cans-are-we-using-on-SBRs-and-AR-pistols
https://www.youtube.com/embed/DggalTVMQoo

constructor
07-13-23, 21:18

The FN SCAR® 15P in 5.56x45mm is the benchmark for reliability and versatility from a light recoiling, piston-driven platform, now configured in an ultra-compact pistol. This enduring platform enables all shooting positions, locking in any grip on the upper receiver under fire, a 7.5” barrel delivers unmatched maneuverability.

Is a pistol/rifle with a 7.5" 5.56 barrel effective at pistol distances? Is it an HK MP-7 surrogate? How is muzzle blast and flash? Personally, I find a 10.5" AR-15 to be really obnoxious but, if the chips were down and I needed it, a really short 5.56 would be a viable option if it is effective. Or is this really an "angry bee" versus the "angry beehive" of the MP-7?

TIA,
Sid

p.s. Right now I am using a 10mm Glock feral hog killer for heavy pistol needs. I am debating this FN SCAR "pistol" slung under my dominant shoulder as a "pistol". I live in rural Texas and have a concealed carry permit.
You lose so much velocity from barrels that short, a 7.5" 300 AAC would be better than a 5.56.

Sid Post
07-14-23, 09:22
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?224962-Is-a-7-5-quot-Barrel-Viable
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?236286-What-cans-are-we-using-on-SBRs-and-AR-pistols
https://www.youtube.com/embed/DggalTVMQoo

The first link was one I read previously but, it really wasn't that clear one way or the other.
The second one seems mainly about suppressing really short barrels.

Sid Post
07-14-23, 09:22
You lose so much velocity from barrels that short, a 7.5" 300 AAC would be better than a 5.56.

I tend to agree yet, FN made it 5.56.

Dutch110
07-14-23, 09:58
Would I want to get shot with a 5.56 coming out of a 7.5 inch barrel? Nope. But rather that then out of 10.5 or longer where the bullet has enough velocity to expand and do more damage. At 7.5 inches its a 22 flame thrower.

Hank6046
07-14-23, 10:17
Would I want to get shot with a 5.56 coming out of a 7.5 inch barrel? Nope. But rather that then out of 10.5 or longer where the bullet has enough velocity to expand and do more damage. At 7.5 inches its a 22 flame thrower.

I think this Scar is more of a novelty then an practical setup. A 7.5 barrel would have been great in 300Blk but in 5.56 not so much and at $3k+, there are much better options for much cheaper.

Op, you plan on carrying this? It sounds like you need a ranch rifle or truck gun, your pistol should get you far enough to get you to your rifle

Disciple
07-14-23, 10:25
The first link was one I read previously but, it really wasn't that clear one way or the other.
The second one seems mainly about suppressing really short barrels.

You're not going to get a clear answer on a controversial topic. The second thread has lots of debate in those 43 pages.

Stickman
07-14-23, 11:02
How about.... no.

MegademiC
07-14-23, 15:54
Do you need a gun that small?
If yes, do you need 5.56? Why not 300blk?

Theres a lot of tradeoffs with a 5.56 that small that most people go another direction.

markm
07-14-23, 16:43
Man. I absolutely hate shooting the Scars that are regular size. This this would be torture.... as well as the (already pointed out) stupidity of any 7.5 5.56 gun.

ViniVidivici
07-15-23, 20:17
Practical? Yeah, sure. Give it to the # guy in the stack, we won't need bangers...

No. To me, 10.3 is the minimum "practical" for 5.56mm.

You want les, as so many others have said, you go .300BO.

So thanks FN, neat toy. Some neckbeard will buy it and piss off everyone around him at the gravel pit.

Sid Post
07-16-23, 06:24
Looks like the CZ Bren 2 is offered in a similar format too.

Maybe an FN 5.7 Pistol or something similar is a better option. I have been looking at the B&T USW-A1 and Glock chassis for a similar option to give me a better long-range performance option while still staying in a near "true" pistol size though shoulder stocking a pistol would be pure NFA territory like a shoulder stocked FNC or Bren pistol.

Stickman
07-16-23, 09:50
The 7.5" pistols are popular, and really kicked off with the Noveske Diplomat. While they might not be practical for people engagements, they can be plenty of fun for paper and steel, and there is nothing wrong with that. If anyone has the 7.5" barrel, and wants to use it for people, please look at soft point 5.56 low velocity expansion ammo, don't try to rely on fragmentation from OTM or FMJ ammunition.

Sid Post
07-17-23, 09:36
The 7.5" pistols are popular, and really kicked off with the Noveske Diplomat. While they might not be practical for people engagements, they can be plenty of fun for paper and steel, and there is nothing wrong with that. If anyone has the 7.5" barrel, and wants to use it for people, please look at soft point 5.56 low velocity expansion ammo, don't try to rely on fragmentation from OTM or FMJ ammunition.

Yes, with the right ammo it could be effective for things around my farm/ranch like those 40gr loads out of my SR-15 LPR. Great little hand grenades for chicken-killing dogs!

For YouTubers throwing steel-cased FMJ downrange for click-throughs, it is a total waste IMHO.

indianalex01
08-10-23, 12:07
Why does someone have to justify buying this gun? It’s got cool factor. It would make a great truck gun. Use some 55gn gold dots ( which expand at real low velocities). Somebody else mentioned that they should just go 300 BO. Well if someone already has 223/556 and doesn’t want to add another round into their arsenal then it doesn’t make sense. To many other push what they think everyone else should have.

Stickman
08-10-23, 12:59
Why does someone have to justify buying this gun?

I've always felt that way for my own purchases in regards to firearms. If I like it, I like it. If someone knows the pros and cons of what they are getting, it really shouldn't matter what other people think.

Being that most of our shooting is done for training or fun, and that the same skills transfer over, its all good in my book.

Bret
08-11-23, 10:34
Why does someone have to justify buying this gun? It’s got cool factor. It would make a great truck gun. Use some 55gn gold dots ( which expand at real low velocities). Somebody else mentioned that they should just go 300 BO. Well if someone already has 223/556 and doesn’t want to add another round into their arsenal then it doesn’t make sense. To many other push what they think everyone else should have.
I was going to post, but you nailed it. If I really had to justify what I purchased, I wouldn't have near the cool collection that I've been able to acquire. I do like knowing about the theoretical pluses and minuses, but I still enjoy shooting guns that are not the best. That said, I do try to be practical and limit cartridges. I have 5.56x45 and 7.62x39 guns. 300BO is too in between them for me. I'm thinking about buying one of these, but then there's the price.

Sid Post
08-12-23, 07:13
I was going to post, but you nailed it. If I really had to justify what I purchased, I wouldn't have near the cool collection that I've been able to acquire. I do like knowing about the theoretical pluses and minuses, but I still enjoy shooting guns that are not the best. That said, I do try to be practical and limit cartridges. I have 5.56x45 and 7.62x39 guns. 300BO is too in between them for me. I'm thinking about buying one of these, but then there's the price.
If this was offered in 300BO, I think it would have a lot of appeal to a broader market segment.

Bret
08-12-23, 08:33
If this was offered in 300BO, I think it would have a lot of appeal to a broader market segment.
I completely agree, though I wouldn't buy one simply because I'm avoiding the cartridge. If they offered one with a 10.5" to 12.5" barrel, it would have more appeal as well. I would probably have bought one instead of my SCAR16.

indianalex01
08-16-23, 10:15
I completely agree, though I wouldn't buy one simply because I'm avoiding the cartridge. If they offered one with a 10.5" to 12.5" barrel, it would have more appeal as well. I would probably have bought one instead of my SCAR16.

They do sell SCAR’s in 10.5. SBR version.

Defaultmp3
08-16-23, 10:44
They do sell SCAR’s in 10.5. SBR version.I've not seen a factory SCAR 16S SBR for sale before, do you have a source? Only way I know is to either have the ability to buy a SCAR 16 CQC, buy a separate factory 10" barrel and swap it in, or to do a barrel chop.

A factory SCAR 16S CQC pistol would be pretty awesome if FN did that.

indianalex01
08-19-23, 21:57
I've not seen a factory SCAR 16S SBR for sale before, do you have a source? Only way I know is to either have the ability to buy a SCAR 16 CQC, buy a separate factory 10" barrel and swap it in, or to do a barrel chop.

A factory SCAR 16S CQC pistol would be pretty awesome if FN did that.

I haven’t seen one in a while. They can be found once in a while. LE side so you would need credentials to get it. Former Mil/LE

CPM
08-20-23, 12:27
Full size SCARs are the most overrated rifle out there. The ergos suck, the 7.62 guns eat optics, the recoil impulse sucks. The charging handle sucks. I could go on and on.

Shout out to FN for finding the only way to make it worse- shorten the barrel to the point of making the already anemic 5.56 round ineffective beyond 100 yards.

indianalex01
08-22-23, 22:34
Full size SCARs are the most overrated rifle out there. The ergos suck, the 7.62 guns eat optics, the recoil impulse sucks. The charging handle sucks. I could go on and on.

Shout out to FN for finding the only way to make it worse- shorten the barrel to the point of making the already anemic 5.56 round ineffective beyond 100 yards.

I agree with you on almost everything you said except the size of the 7.5. It’s got cool factor. The gun is obviously for Short range and or truck gun. It’s not meant for much over 100yds. You may not like it but other will and do. Not everyone likes the same stuff and that is ok and a good thing.