PDA

View Full Version : First USPSA Match.

R1pper
01-02-09, 15:48
I am doing my first USPSA match at the Smith&Wesson shooting sports center this sunday. I am looking for advice, in pretty much all aspects of this. I have never done any sort of match, so I am about to bust my cherry so to speak. Any advice that would benificial is appreciated.

And if people want to shit on my gear or pistol they can build a bridge and go **** themselves, I am using my duty gun, a serpa holster and some borrowed mag pouches because its all I have.

-DM-

Kevin
01-02-09, 16:20
Be safe.

Have fun.

Don't forget it's a game.

Let us know how it goes.

ToddG
01-02-09, 16:24
1. Watch the other shooters to understand the rules, especially as far as muzzle direction is concerned.

2. Do not watch the other shooters to get a "pace" set in your head. Aim for the A-zone and try to get the best hits you can. Don't dawdle, but do not do anything faster than you are 100% comfortable that you'll get your hits. (this approach won't last forever, but it is important until you become accustomed to the game's rules and the game's flow)

3. Ignore any comments about your gear. USPSA shooters tend to obsess about gear and will tell you that your holster isn't as fast as it could be, your gun isn't set up as best it could be, etc. Smile and nod and say thank you and then flush it all out of your short term memory ASAP. (this approach won't last forever, either, but it is also important that you focus on learning the game and being a good general shooter before you start chasing equipment bonuses)

4. Ask every question that comes to mind. USPSA members, as a rule, are very encouraging of new shooters. Everyone would prefer you ask a question first instead of doing something wrong -- or worse, against the rules -- and then having to be corrected, scolded, or DQ'd (disqualified).

5. Don't argue with anyone about anything. If someone says you need to do something you consider unsafe, leave. Otherwise, accept that they all know the rules and the unwritten social norms of a USPSA match while you do not. If someone tells you that you got a penalty, say, "shucks ... well, it's a learning point! Can you explain it to me so I don't do it again?" and then drive on.

6. Have fun.

R1pper
01-02-09, 16:33
Thanks Todd, my neighbor and his GF are really guiding me along, they shoot a lot of the national matches all over the country and have shot for the Smith & Wesson team at one point. From what others have told me that his GF is in the top five or ten nationally for her class, and Chris is well ranked as well. SO i doubt that they will do anyting to steer me in the wrong direction.

We are aslo going to the range tomorrow afternoon, to run me through some basics so I have a decent idea of how it is all works.

And if people want to shit on my gear or pistol they can build a bridge and go **** themselves, I am using my duty gun, a serpa holster and some borrowed mag pouches because its all I have.

-DM-

Paul45
01-02-09, 21:12
Just tell the stage RO / SO that this is your 1st match and they will be very helpful. 99.99% are great people and want to keep you in the sport "SAFELY"!

R1pper
01-04-09, 12:52
Just got back from the match. IMO it went well, no proceedurals, no hits on no shoot targets although I did miss a few, and left one steel on a texas star (never shot one before)

Overall it was great, I will be back next month for sure. And oh Ive already picked out my new gun M&P 9 with dawson precision fron fiber optic and bomar adj rear.

Thank to all who gave advice it helped immensly.

-DM-

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-05-09, 12:03
And oh Ive already picked out my new gun M&P 9 with dawson precision fron fiber optic and bomar adj rear.

-DM-

That's the gun you pick? Just kidding. I'm planning on using my Sig P226 to start out, which seems not to be that popular for USPSA.

Way to get out there and shoot! I'm trying to figure out the USPSA thing. What division will that shoot in?

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-05-09, 13:20
And oh Ive already picked out my new gun M&P 9 with dawson precision fron fiber optic and bomar adj rear.

-DM-

That's the gun you pick? Just kidding. I'm planning on using my Sig P226 to start out, which seems not to be that popular for USPSA.

Way to get out there and shoot! I'm trying to figure out the USPSA thing. What division will that shoot in?

TNshooter
01-05-09, 15:16
I shoot my 226ST in USPSA and its not the gun that is not holding me back. I recommend that you shoot it in the Production division. You can shoot it in limited or limited 10, but it is not as competitive in those divisions, especially if it is a 9mm. All guns are scored "minor" in the production division, regardless of caliber.

R1pper
01-05-09, 22:37
I shot in Limited 10, but it seems that was a mistake cause there were only four of us.

-DM-