PDA

View Full Version : S&W 1911PD (Commander size)

kaltblitz
01-02-09, 16:17
Anyone here have a S&W 1911PD in the 4.25" barrel? What are your experiences and thoughts on these as carry guns?

HK45
01-03-09, 02:29
I like them but have not heard good things about the extractors. See here;
http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=76412&an=0&page=0#76412

The best deal in a Commander size 1911 I know of is the Wesson Bobcat.

dp509
01-03-09, 07:16
I have the S & W Target Model.

I have it on my hip as I type :p.

It is my duty gun. :D

I have fired thousands of rounds through it. It has worked perfectly.

It is very accurate. We put it in a ransom rest. It put eight rounds in a quarter at 25 yards. ;) :eek:

Now, I cannot do that, but the gun can.

I have not done any thing to it but clean it.

My life and my fellow officers life depends on it.

I have complete confidence in it :)

Redhat
01-03-09, 08:31
I have had one for about a year...no problems with it at all. Yes it has an external extractor, but it hasn't caused any issues. I don't CCW with it so it has mostly had a diet of ball and LSWC ammo.

It came with 2, 8 rd ACT mags but I have also used my Wilson's too.
Accuracy is good...on par with most quality handguns and the trigger is about 5 lbs.

My only complaints are the grip panels are too thick for my taste and the safety is almost too easy to move, I would rathet it was a bit more positive.

As with any handgun you would need to fire it , and test for reliability with your chosen ammo before trusting it for defensive purposes.

Gentle Ben
01-03-09, 11:33
Hello K,

I have a 1911PD. I don't count rounds fired, but I'd guess I have approx 4k through it. The only problem I had with mine was that the plunger tube on the side of the frame came loose at about 2k rounds. S&W fixed it for free (overnight shipping both ways paid by them), and I haven't had any problems with it since.

BTW, how's that Glock I did for you working out?

Ben

Gentle Ben
01-03-09, 11:34
also, the Novak/ACT/S&W mags that come with the gun suck. I had the feed lips crack on a couple of mine. my advice is to shitcan them (or use them for range duty) and get Wilsons or McCormicks.

kaltblitz
01-03-09, 17:22
Ben,

The Glock is good. As soon as I get a chance I'll try to throw some pics up here.

jaydoc1
01-03-09, 19:03
I have a 1911PD which alternates with a Glock 19 as my CCW. It is a fantastic carry gun and I've had zero issues with it. As long as I do my job it's like a laser and thanks to the scandium frame is super comfortable to carry. I run CobraMags in mine from Tripp Research although the ACT mags that came with it hadn't given me any problems. I read enough bad experiences with them to dump them in favor of the Cobras for carry, but I still take them to the range with me.

I have absolutely no idea the round count for mine but it's north of 2000. Zero failures to fire, zero stovepipes, no extractor issues. If you're looking to get one you won't be disappointed.

DM-SC
01-03-09, 20:28
I have a 2006 SW1911PD that's been reliable and accurate. :cool: