PDA

View Full Version : BCM receiver extension canted

msedward43
07-28-23, 21:50
Ok, this is NOT my freaking week. I'm about ready to pop a couple of shots of vodka and say "this is the end of the week"

Anyways, after I got my receiver fixed at Sionics, I decide to order a BCM upper to go along with my 2 Spare BCM factory lowers that I got during pandemic as a "just in case Biden goes nuts" scenario.

well, I pull out the first of the two lowers to toss on my MOE SL stock I just p icked up and noticed that the receiver extenion is noticeably (at least to me) Cant'd . Enough to where you can definitely see it with the naked eye the second you put your butt stock on.

since this is a factory lower and not one I built, is this enough to bug BCM about fixing or simply leave it alone as an OCD trigger

https://i.imgur.com/mUEGIt5.jpg

grizzman
07-28-23, 22:11
Option 3 is to fix it yourself. Should take less than 20 minutes if you have the proper tools. If you don’t have the proper tools, th is is a good reason to acquire the proper tools.

msedward43
07-28-23, 23:01
Option 3 is to fix it yourself. Should take less than 20 minutes if you have the proper tools. If you don’t have the proper tools, th is is a good reason to acquire the proper tools.

I used to, sadly an injury to my left arm (my tool arm) left me with slight trembles at the finger tips when I try and do fine moter skills things like line up parts JUUUUUST right etc. It's not horrible but it's just enoug to where I don't trust myself trying to re-line it up just right.

for this in particular I was just wondering if it was something that happens and BCM will say "pfffft, it's just your OCD dumb@ss" or whether it's something they would consider fixing.

the AR-15 Junkie
07-29-23, 00:09
Ok, this is NOT my freaking week. I'm about ready to pop a couple of shots of vodka and say "this is the end of the week"

Anyways, after I got my receiver fixed at Sionics, I decide to order a BCM upper to go along with my 2 Spare BCM factory lowers that I got during pandemic as a "just in case Biden goes nuts" scenario.

well, I pull out the first of the two lowers to toss on my MOE SL stock I just p icked up and noticed that the receiver extenion is noticeably (at least to me) Cant'd . Enough to where you can definitely see it with the naked eye the second you put your butt stock on.

since this is a factory lower and not one I built, is this enough to bug BCM about fixing or simply leave it alone as an OCD trigger

https://i.imgur.com/mUEGIt5.jpg

Calling Cliff556 lol!

Painful! As to the price and only 1 left in Stock, but alas I must admit I bought 2 of these about 2 years ago and they flat out work PERFECTLY, as do the "whole lot" cheaper Blue versions..

https://shop.taconesports.com/product/ar15-receiver-extension-tube-jig/#reviews

Disciple
07-29-23, 00:49
The cheap blue version. https://www.shootingsurplus.com/ncstar-ar15-lower-receiver-viceblock/

msedward43
07-29-23, 04:44
Calling Cliff556 lol!

Painful! As to the price and only 1 left in Stock, but alas I must admit I bought 2 of these about 2 years ago and they flat out work PERFECTLY, as do the "whole lot" cheaper Blue versions..

LOL! yeah, Cliff and I were just talking about that on TOS

w3453l
07-29-23, 05:24
Have you tried emailing them? Attach the same photos you posted in this thread and see what they say. Worst case, they tell you to piss off and you go to plan B of just fixing it yourself. Or just fix it yourself (I know you mentioned your injury).

**Slightly off topic, but I think worth mentioning here, I’ve built a few lowers using FCD receiver extensions and end plates. They all naturally lined up perfect without any crazy effort or extra tools.

I don’t know if they have some extra feature that makes it this easy. I’ve never been into assembling AR’s. I’ve always just bought complete lowers, so I figured they all line up perfectly just by design.

I realize what I said might be a “no shit Sherlock” statement. But I didn’t know canted extensions were a thing and didn’t realize they had jigs for installing them until I stumbled upon it recently.

ETA: To answer your post more directly, yes I would be bothered by that enough to fix it myself or have them fix it. Not so much because it looks wonky but I imagine that’s going to become annoying when shouldering if you’re wearing any sort of PC.

msedward43
07-29-23, 05:43
Have you tried emailing them? Attach the same photos you posted in this thread and see what they say. Worst case, they tell you to piss off and you go to plan B of just fixing it yourself. Or just fix it yourself (I know you mentioned your injury).

**Slightly off topic, but I think worth mentioning here, I’ve built a few lowers using FCD receiver extensions and end plates. They all naturally lined up perfect without any crazy effort or extra tools.

I don’t know if they have some extra feature that makes it this easy. I’ve never been into assembling AR’s. I’ve always just bought complete lowers, so I figured they all line up perfectly just by design.

I realize what I said might be a “no shit Sherlock” statement. But I didn’t know canted extensions were a thing and didn’t realize they had jigs for installing them until I stumbled upon it recently.

ETA: To answer your post more directly, yes I would be bothered by that enough to fix it myself or have them fix it. Not so much because it looks wonky but I imagine that’s going to become annoying when shouldering if you’re wearing any sort of PC.

yeah, I'm going to send an email to them now. I started the thread mostly as a "hey guys, is this severe enough for me to bring to their attention? or will they just tell me to bite a sock off of this amount of cant" as I can be sometimes a little over perfectionistic.... might as well hit them up and see what they say since it seems to be severe enough to irritate most people

as for receiver extension cant being a thing. Yeah it easily can be. there's always tolerancen stacking in the fitment of the end plate little tang that fits into the receiver extension groove. you can usually clock it 2-3 degrees either direction with many of them and if you aren't holding it still when torquing down, the receiver extension can slip a bit and clock to the left as it's torgued down. That can be an issue if there is too much play between the parts, OR if the person puts some heavier than normal torgue onto the castle nut. That means it actually torgues the extension around and gouges the threads onto the end plate "tang" a bit allowing the buffer tube to turn further than it's supposed to. Kind of the RE version of over torquing a barrel nut and having the FSB becoming canted. It's almost impossible to be PERFECTLY level and on point (if you look very closely at most receiver extensions there is like 1/2 to 1 degree cant either direction) but I haven't seen it that much before on a factory lower from a well known mfger

I had it happen a few times with my own receivers back in the day, but never with a higher end one like BCM or SOLGW or DD. I sadly didn't look at the receiver extension when I got it because I had about half a dozen BCM lowers and never seen it before.

prepare
07-29-23, 05:43
It's unfortunate that it slipped through their QC but it's an easy fix. Contact them and I'm certain they will make it right.

When that happens the tab on the end plate usually damages the threads on the buffer tube so in order to fix it right they would have to replace the buffer tube and end plate.

msedward43
07-29-23, 05:47
It's unfortunate that it slipped through their QC but it's an easy fix. Contact them and I'm certain they will make it right.

When that happens the tab on the end plate usually damages the threads on the buffer tube so in order to fix it right they would have to replace the buffer tube and end plate.

yeah, I'm going to make mention of that in my email. when when it rotates that much around the only time I had that happen in the past was when I was a newbie and used he-man hulk power and over torqued it resulting in that thread gouging.

x fingers they decide to fix it themselves as my tool hand isn't in the shape it was 7 years ago when I was rolling my own (amazing what happens when you blow 2 discs and crack a vertebrae in a weight lifting accident lol)

the AR-15 Junkie
07-29-23, 08:54
yeah, I'm going to send an email to them now. I started the thread mostly as a "hey guys, is this severe enough for me to bring to their attention? or will they just tell me to bite a sock off of this amount of cant" as I can be sometimes a little over perfectionistic.... might as well hit them up and see what they say since it seems to be severe enough to irritate most people

as for receiver extension cant being a thing. Yeah it easily can be. there's always tolerancen stacking in the fitment of the end plate little tang that fits into the receiver extension groove. you can usually clock it 2-3 degrees either direction with many of them and if you aren't holding it still when torquing down, the receiver extension can slip a bit and clock to the left as it's torgued down. That can be an issue if there is too much play between the parts, OR if the person puts some heavier than normal torgue onto the castle nut. That means it actually torgues the extension around and gouges the threads onto the end plate "tang" a bit allowing the buffer tube to turn further than it's supposed to. Kind of the RE version of over torquing a barrel nut and having the FSB becoming canted. It's almost impossible to be PERFECTLY level and on point (if you look very closely at most receiver extensions there is like 1/2 to 1 degree cant either direction) but I haven't seen it that much before on a factory lower from a well known mfger

I had it happen a few times with my own receivers back in the day, but never with a higher end one like BCM or SOLGW or DD. I sadly didn't look at the receiver extension when I got it because I had about half a dozen BCM lowers and never seen it before.

And that is what usually happens.

the AR-15 Junkie
07-29-23, 08:55
The cheap blue version. https://www.shootingsurplus.com/ncstar-ar15-lower-receiver-viceblock/

Thats a GREAT price for that Blue jig.

davidjinks
07-29-23, 10:06
Best money I’ve ever spent! This is the exact setup I use and it works extremely well.

https://www.thecountryshed.com/ar15toolkit-1.html

That is the exact set I ordered from Country Shed. Fast shipping from a good company. The armorers wrench is meh, but everything else is worth the money.

If you decide to purchase it, make sure you adjust the top screws first on the buffer tube and then the lower screw. There’s a YouTube video on how to properly set it up.

556Cliff
07-29-23, 10:51
Calling Cliff556 lol!

Hahaha! :lol:

I didn't check here last night before I went to bed, I should have @ed you in the mirror thread to this one over on TOS.

czgunner
07-29-23, 11:30
The cheap blue version. https://www.shootingsurplus.com/ncstar-ar15-lower-receiver-viceblock/Thanks for the link...I grabbed one.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

msedward43
07-29-23, 13:49
dang?? is that blue one only $26 or am I smoking the good stuff too early in the day? lol.

it looks nice, I wish that was available 7 years ago when before my nerve damaged when I was rolling my own.....sheeesh

well, I sent the email off to BCM this morning, we'll see what they say.

msedward43
07-31-23, 17:26
well, thanks for the advice guys. I sent BCM a message over the weekend and they responded back today and said that I could send it in for them to repair/fix it. with the shake nerve damage I have in my left arm I figured that if they're footing the shipping back and forth I'll let them fix it instead of doing it msyelf. In the mail on the way back to them as we speak

Disciple
07-31-23, 19:43
If you decide to purchase it, make sure you adjust the top screws first on the buffer tube and then the lower screw. There’s a YouTube video on how to properly set it up.

I stripped the bottom screw the first time I used the jig. After cursing the Chinesium I noted that it seemed to work fine without it. Do you think that screw is important?

556Cliff
07-31-23, 19:53
well, thanks for the advice guys. I sent BCM a message over the weekend and they responded back today and said that I could send it in for them to repair/fix it. with the shake nerve damage I have in my left arm I figured that if they're footing the shipping back and forth I'll let them fix it instead of doing it msyelf. In the mail on the way back to them as we speak

Good deal, I was wondering if they would take care of it.

msedward43
07-31-23, 22:41
Good deal, I was wondering if they would take care of it.

yeah, the CS rep stated he didn't think it would be a problem at all, but because it was so noticeable to the eye that they'd be happy to take it back and repair it. I'll of course update when I get the receiver back from them. But BCM so far has never let me down.

davidjinks
08-01-23, 07:36
I think that screw is important. Could you use it without? Yes. However, there is play in the lower piece which is supposed to prevent canting of the extension. Hand tap the stripped part and get a replacement bolt and you should be good to go.

I use 33MS grease on all the screws.

I stripped the bottom screw the first time I used the jig. After cursing the Chinesium I noted that it seemed to work fine without it. Do you think that screw is important?

bobcatdriver
08-01-23, 13:12

I see the price on that thing is about half the price when it first came out. Personally I think it's a piece of crap, just sloppy as hell. I picked up one a year ago for the hell of it, because I actually like their upper receiver block. And I already had a Giessele and the Botach, (I like tools). Too many little adjustments to get it just right, not that it's difficult, but it should just simply work easily.

Stickman
08-10-23, 13:00
Was there ever an exciting conclusion to this thread? Did the OP send it back, or did he just fix it himself?

msedward43
08-10-23, 13:51
Was there ever an exciting conclusion to this thread? Did the OP send it back, or did he just fix it himself?

BCM asked for it back, and with my left hand trembles I happily did so. it's at my FFL right now. Just waiting for a walther P99 I picked up at the same time to arrive and I'll pick both up together and see how it is.

I was waiting to update as soon as I got them back

Stickman
08-10-23, 15:27
BCM asked for it back, and with my left hand trembles I happily did so. it's at my FFL right now. Just waiting for a walther P99 I picked up at the same time to arrive and I'll pick both up together and see how it is.

I was waiting to update as soon as I got them back

Do you have some screwy state law that won't allow you to ship the lower to BCM directly, and get it back directly to your residence? Not that it really matters at this point, it probably would have gotten it back to you a tad quicker if anything similar ever pops up again.

msedward43
08-10-23, 15:40
Do you have some screwy state law that won't allow you to ship the lower to BCM directly, and get it back directly to your residence? Not that it really matters at this point, it probably would have gotten it back to you a tad quicker if anything similar ever pops up again.

BCM stated that due to the new carrier restrictions on firearms they are only allowed to ship to FFL's anymore. No more shipping directly to the consumer

they had me ship it from my place, but are now only shipping BACK to FFLs

Stickman
08-10-23, 17:22
BCM stated that due to the new carrier restrictions on firearms they are only allowed to ship to FFL's anymore. No more shipping directly to the consumer

they had me ship it from my place, but are now only shipping BACK to FFLs

Ok, that makes sense in some way. Not in any good way, but I get it.

msedward43
08-10-23, 17:40
Ok, that makes sense in some way. Not in any good way, but I get it.

yeah, wasn't exactly happy about that (not BCM's fault) as that will make shipping repairs back to a manufacturer that much more of a PITA going forward. I've heard the same policy is being levied across the board from a bunch of mfgers

SteyrAUG
08-10-23, 18:05
yeah, wasn't exactly happy about that (not BCM's fault) as that will make shipping repairs back to a manufacturer that much more of a PITA going forward. I've heard the same policy is being levied across the board from a bunch of mfgers

How does that work since ownership never changed? I hope you don't have to pay any kind of transfer fee since ownership never transferred.

SteveL
08-10-23, 19:33
How does that work since ownership never changed? I hope you don't have to pay any kind of transfer fee since ownership never transferred.

I'm curious to hear how that will work out for the OP as well. At the last shop I worked at, we had a gunsmith shop on site. We would have taken it in to the gunsmith shop and shipped it out for repair. That way when it came back he could have simply come in and picked it up. However, based on what he's saying, I'm willing to bet the receiving FFL will take it in on their books and will make him fill out a 4473 and pay a transfer fee to get it back.

Uncas47
08-10-23, 19:55
It's BCMs fault the RE is canted, they should reimburse any transfer fee the OP incurs.

msedward43
08-11-23, 01:38
I'm curious to hear how that will work out for the OP as well. At the last shop I worked at, we had a gunsmith shop on site. We would have taken it in to the gunsmith shop and shipped it out for repair. That way when it came back he could have simply come in and picked it up. However, based on what he's saying, I'm willing to bet the receiving FFL will take it in on their books and will make him fill out a 4473 and pay a transfer fee to get it back.

correct. my ffl is a table top FFL.

what BCM did was send a shipping label for me to ship it back, but just said "choose your FFL for us to send it to.

so any FFL that gets it has to put it in their books and run it like normal.

I won't really have to pay for this one though. My ffl is a good dude and he just added it to the same 4473 as my Walther P99 I ordered the same week. so they'll both go under the same 4473 and the same price

from what I've been seeing with the new shipping company regulations this is going to be common for ALLLLL companies for repairs. RIA and Aero Precision has already been telling customers that too. "we have to ship to an FFL for all warranty returns" and the customer eats the cost.

Dutch110
08-11-23, 13:43
Dang that's unfortunate about the FFL shipping restriction. I just signed for a UPS delivery of a warranty repair gun to my doorstep an hour ago. Going FFL would have been a pain.

msedward43
08-17-23, 21:28
finally got in to my FFL to pick it back up (hullabaloo with USPS not delivering my dang P99 for a freaking week). it's fixed. Everything looks good. just the "ever so slight" amount of cant you can only see by putting it on it's back and being super anal... e.g., well within specs. BCM has never let me down, and didn't here either.

556Cliff
08-17-23, 21:56
Nice, I assume nicely re-staked new end plate and all?

msedward43
08-17-23, 23:16
Nice, I assume nicely re-staked new end plate and all?

yeah. new end plate, fresh staking, the whole works. It looks brand new

I can't complain.

I dug out the twin to this one finally (I bought two consecutive serial numbers in the same order, this other one was on a rifle I had built a few years and stuck in the safe) and frustratingly it has some cant to it too. not AS bad, but more than all my others. Although I think I'm going to leave well enough alone on this one. It's not as bad and it's not like it's going to affect function (BCM even told me the more extreme cant on the one I sent in wouldn't be a problem when I sent this first one in, that it was simply to make sure I was taken care of). And I'm not going to be an asshole and let my OCD get the better of me and cause them to ship another one back. Just mildly annoyed I didn't pull that rifle out and check the tube when I sent the other in.

sometimes I hate being clinically OCD (a mild case, but still enough to make me double check things more than I should).

here's the pic of the "other" one (not the fixed one, that one BCM straightened out) just to show you what I mean

https://i.imgur.com/heoelMd.jpg

on a side note, I got my Walther P99 commemorative "final edition" now that they're retiring the gun, and the thing is pretty stinking sweet. their version of ODG is a bit more brown than I'm used to, but it looks sexy, and will go right next to my 2 black P99s and my 2 P99 compacts

https://www.kimbertalk.com/attachments/706132104-jpg.136591/

jsbhike
08-18-23, 06:13

Shippers hate the 2A.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20220919/shipping-companies-prohibit-the-lawful-shipping-of-firearms

mark5pt56
08-18-23, 06:41
For info, next time you can take the return label to the ffl, they should be able to take it into the gunsmith log and when it returns, they return it to you as they remove it from the gunsmith log.

ChattanoogaPhil
08-18-23, 07:15
Shippers hate the 2A.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20220919/shipping-companies-prohibit-the-lawful-shipping-of-firearms

That's a new one on me. Last time I sent a suppressor back to the manufacture (several years ago) I used FedEx. The manufacture sent it back to my doorstep.

Dutch110
08-18-23, 08:14
A few weeks ago I had to send a pistol back in for warranty work. They prepaid label they sent me was UPS. JHFC you would have thought I was public enemy #1 when I walked into the front desk at the local hub to process it. And I live in a pretty conservative area. **** them. Did not make me feel good about putting a $3500 2011 in their hands.

msedward43
08-18-23, 08:26
That's a new one on me. Last time I sent a suppressor back to the manufacture (several years ago) I used FedEx. The manufacture sent it back to my doorstep.

yeah, they just started that this year and are causing hell on earth for people and distributors shipping stuff back and forth.

556Cliff
08-18-23, 09:13
This thread is making me glad that I've never had to send complete firearms in for repair. Though I have sent lower receivers off for refinishing through USPS and never had a problem. The last one was at the end of last year, I sent a lower off to Vegas Metal Finishing and they were able to send it right back to me with no FFL middle man. It would suck if that's changed since then.

msedward43
08-18-23, 09:18
This thread is making me glad that I've never had to send complete firearms in for repair. Though I have sent lower receivers off for refinishing through USPS and never had a problem. The last one was at the end of last year, I sent a lower off to Vegas Metal Finishing and they were able to send it right back to me with no FFL middle man. It would suck if that's changed since then.

it used to not be this way. you used to just send back and forth to your doorstep, but UPS and Fedex changed policies to lock down on people shipping guns thanks to Bloomberg and MDA pressuring them hard. hopefully they reverse it soon as they have done with several other anti-gun policies which turned out to bite them in the ass

556Cliff
08-18-23, 09:20
yeah. new end plate, fresh staking, the whole works. It looks brand new

I can't complain.

I dug out the twin to this one finally (I bought two consecutive serial numbers in the same order, this other one was on a rifle I had built a few years and stuck in the safe) and frustratingly it has some cant to it too. not AS bad, but more than all my others. Although I think I'm going to leave well enough alone on this one. It's not as bad and it's not like it's going to affect function (BCM even told me the more extreme cant on the one I sent in wouldn't be a problem when I sent this first one in, that it was simply to make sure I was taken care of). And I'm not going to be an asshole and let my OCD get the better of me and cause them to ship another one back. Just mildly annoyed I didn't pull that rifle out and check the tube when I sent the other in.

sometimes I hate being clinically OCD (a mild case, but still enough to make me double check things more than I should).

here's the pic of the "other" one (not the fixed one, that one BCM straightened out) just to show you what I mean

https://i.imgur.com/heoelMd.jpg

Sucks, but like you said, it's not as bad as the one you sent in. I'm betting I have some Colt's that look similar to the one you have in your picture. I might try to snap a pic to ease your mind that it's pretty normal to have some degree of cant.

That's just one of the reasons I assemble my own. It doesn't functionally matter, but OCD is what it is. :laugh:

556Cliff
08-18-23, 09:22
it used to not be this way. you used to just send back and forth to your doorstep, but UPS and Fedex changed policies to lock down on people shipping guns thanks to Bloomberg and MDA pressuring them hard. hopefully they reverse it soon as they have done with several other anti-gun policies which turned out to bite them in the ass

I'm just surprised that USPS hasn't clamped down yet.

msedward43
08-18-23, 09:35
Sucks, but like you said, it's not as bad as the one you sent in. I'm betting I have some Colt's that look similar to the one you have in your picture. I might try to snap a pic to ease your mind that it's pretty normal to have some degree of cant.

That's just one of the reasons I assemble my own. It doesn't functionally matter, but OCD is what it is. :laugh:

lol, I know how that goes. and having ACTUAL OCD makes it worse. they were both consecutive serial numbers so I assume it was just the same guy on the same day near 5:00 on a friday who just uggga dugga'd that wrench a bit much

and as we said, nothing that big. just enough to trigger me pulling it out of the safe and pouting while bitching and moaning on the internet lol. I'll forget about it once it sits in the safe for a few more months

I'm just surprised that USPS hasn't clamped down yet.

don't put that out into the universe!

ViniVidivici
08-18-23, 10:24

Same here. Everything I've ever encountered, I've been able to fix.

With the OPs issue, I wouldn't have even thought twice about it, would've gone right to the vise and taken care of it, no discussion, easy fix.

556Cliff
08-18-23, 12:13
lol, I know how that goes. and having ACTUAL OCD makes it worse. they were both consecutive serial numbers so I assume it was just the same guy on the same day near 5:00 on a friday who just uggga dugga'd that wrench a bit much

and as we said, nothing that big. just enough to trigger me pulling it out of the safe and pouting while bitching and moaning on the internet lol. I'll forget about it once it sits in the safe for a few more months

Ha! Well, I looked over the Colt's to try and find the canted ones and the one with the most cant was not showing it in any of the pictures I attempted to take. It's there to the naked eye, though I guess it's just a little less obvious than the one in your picture so the camera doesn't pick it up. I can tell you it's canted though. It's not enough to trigger my OCD to fix it of course or I would have done it by now. Lol! ;)

I'm sure if I took the stock and grip off and tried to gauge it in my green jig that it wouldn't fit.

msedward43
08-18-23, 12:20
Ha! Well, I looked over the Colt's to try and find the canted ones and the one with the most cant was not showing it in any of the pictures I attempted to take. It's there to the naked eye, though I guess it's just a little less obvious than the one in your picture so the camera doesn't pick it up. I can tell you it's canted though. It's not enough to trigger my OCD to fix it of course or I would have done it by now. Lol! ;)

I'm sure if I took the stock and grip off and tried to gauge it in my green jig that it wouldn't fit.

nooooooooooooooooooo!!! mine's worse!!!!!! lol.

I've also noticed that it depends on what stock is on the tube that will make it more or less obvious. stocks like the MOE SL and the ACSL that are tight fighting and both have that thick top and that narrowing tip that makes it show up a lot more. That narrowing tip makes it point like an arrow, but sloppy fitting stocks with a more rounded profile like the regular MOE or the Mil-spec colt style stocks make it less obvious. I noticed that over the years when I was working on my own tubes as I could change the stock and notice the cant more or less depending on if I put on the SL or the regular MOE one lol

556Cliff
08-18-23, 12:20
Same here. Everything I've ever encountered, I've been able to fix.

With the OPs issue, I wouldn't have even thought twice about it, would've gone right to the vise and taken care of it, no discussion, easy fix.

It's nice to have the ability. Though if I had an issue with my HK VP9 I might just send it off to HK to have them fix it depending on what the problem was. That's more like working on a Swiss watch to me and I'd probably be a bit lost trying to figure it out. Some of those HK roll pins are a bit odd and might require a press to not mess them up.

556Cliff
08-18-23, 12:24
nooooooooooooooooooo!!! mine's worse!!!!!! lol.

I've also noticed that it depends on what stock is on the tube that will make it more or less obvious. stocks like the MOE SL and the ACSL that are tight fighting and both have that thick top and that narrowing tip that makes it show up a lot more. That narrowing tip makes it point like an arrow, but sloppy fitting stocks with a more rounded profile like the regular MOE or the Mil-spec colt style stocks make it less obvious. I noticed that over the years when I was working on my own tubes as I could change the stock and notice the cant more or less depending on if I put on the SL or the regular MOE one lol

That could be why it wasn't photographing well, the one I was trying to take a picture of has a Magpul MOE stock on it.

kerplode
08-18-23, 12:27

He's absolutely going to have to do a 4473 and get a NICS proceed in order to get it back from the FFL. Whether or not he is required to pay a transfer fee is to the discretion of the receiving FFL. (we wouldn't charge in this instance, but some do)

If it's on-site gunsmith/repair work, you can give it back to the person it came from without a 4473, but only the person it came from. I.e. it has to be logged in and back out to the identical individual. All other circumstances require a 4473 and NICS proceed.

But this didn't come in from him, it came in from BCM.

Where it really gets fun is when the owner comes back NICS denied on retrieval....

msedward43
08-18-23, 12:40
That could be why it wasn't photographing well, the one I was trying to take a picture of has a Magpul MOE stock on it.

I think it also has to do with how much play on the tube it has too. the friction locking ones like the SL and the ACS-L both lock it to the tube, so it's forced in the cant'd direction at all times, but a looser fitting stock would have play and allow it to swing back to zero and mask some of it. for example. here's the same tube with the ACS L on it, and with the MOE on it.

ACS-L

https://i.imgur.com/bhtIv7r.jpg

now with the MOE

https://i.imgur.com/SghvA8J.jpg

msedward43
08-18-23, 12:43
He's absolutely going to have to do a 4473 and get a NICS proceed in order to get it back from the FFL. Whether or not he is required to pay a transfer fee is to the discretion of the receiving FFL. (we wouldn't charge in this instance, but some do)

If it's on-site gunsmith/repair work, you can give it back to the person it came from without a 4473, but only the person it came from. I.e. it has to be logged in and back out to the identical individual. All other circumstances require a 4473 and NICS proceed.

But this didn't come in from him, it came in from BCM.

Where it really gets fun is when the owner comes back NICS denied on retrieval....

and this is why I actually got my CCW years ago. bypass the NICS check and just fill out the 4473.

kerplode
08-18-23, 12:48
and this is why I actually got my CCW years ago. bypass the NICS check and just fill out the 4473.

Sweet...Yeah, I like that feature about some state's CCW laws. Here in the Land of Entitlement, having a CCW doesn't do shit for you as far as NICS goes. C'est la vie.

Glad BCM got you fixed up and it wasn't too much of an ass-ache for you to get it back!

556Cliff
08-18-23, 12:49
I think it also has to do with how much play on the tube it has too. the friction locking ones like the SL and the ACS-L both lock it to the tube, so it's forced in the cant'd direction at all times, but a looser fitting stock would have play and allow it to swing back to zero and mask some of it. for example. here's the same tube with the ACS L on it, and with the MOE on it.

ACS-L

https://i.imgur.com/bhtIv7r.jpg

now with the MOE

https://i.imgur.com/SghvA8J.jpg

That shot with the MOE stock looks nearly identical to what I can see with my eye on that one Colt I tried taking pictures of. So with that I'd say you're in the same ball park for cant.

msedward43
08-18-23, 12:52
Sweet...Yeah, I like that feature about some state's CCW laws. Here in the Land of Entitlement, having a CCW doesn't do shit for you as far as NICS goes. C'est la vie.

Glad BCM got you fixed up and it wasn't too much of an ass-ache for you to get it back!

yeah, Arizona does have some benefits to their CCW. we have constitutional carry and I did WANT the CCW for that piece of mind of being able to carry near schools etc without worrying what some crazy judge would do if I was forced to use my sidearm, but 95% of the reason I paid the state their blood money was so that I could bypass the nics and dnot worry about spending 30 minutes on a sluggish check, or god fobid get a false negative. Now I just fill out the 4473 and spend more time jawing about what gun I'm getting from my ffl than worry about stupid "what ifs".

msedward43
08-18-23, 12:58
That shot with the MOE stock looks nearly identical to what I can see with my eye on that one Colt I tried taking pictures of. So with that I'd say you're in the same ball park for cant.

haha, then I feel better.

again, I KNOW that it's not going to cause a malfunction or something, I'm just mildly annoyed at myself for not finding that one and comparing as I could have sent both off to BCM at the same time since they were issuing an RMA already. Aw well. SOTAR even did a video about this like 6 months ago telling people "don't worry, it's just cosmetic", but hey, I've vented on here and got the one that was most egregious fixed, so c'est la vie lol

jsbhike
08-18-23, 19:12
hopefully they reverse it soon as they have done with several other anti-gun policies which turned out to bite them in the ass
What have they dumped? Prior to the late 90's you could ship pistols standard UPS for just a few bucks, but due to employees stealing packages they switched it to next day air only which doesn't eliminate thieves from stealing of course.