PDA

View Full Version : Recent-model supercharged cars?

Ron3
07-30-23, 13:04
What's available?

Mustang GT500, Camaro ZL-1, and what else?

Not turbo, not a truck or SUV.

There must be more than the two I mentioned.

SilverBullet432
07-30-23, 15:23
Dodge Challenger SRT Demon 170.

C-grunt
07-30-23, 15:37
Charger and Challenger Hellcats

C-grunt
07-30-23, 15:38
The first few years of the Chevy Cobalt SS and the Saturn version of it had a supercharged 4 cylinder.

C-grunt
07-30-23, 15:39
C7 Z06

Artos
07-30-23, 16:32
I had a ZL1 & don't think you can touch a better car for the $$$$...especially when it comes to the twisty's.

Chevy did a hell of a job for your $70k...shame they wouldn't market the camaro.

The 1LE is #15 & the standard is #37 @ the Ring'

https://nurburgringlaptimes.com/lap-times-top-100/

Ron3
07-30-23, 17:17
The first few years of the Chevy Cobalt SS and the Saturn version of it had a supercharged 4 cylinder.

I know a guy with a SC SS Cobalt. Too bad it's FWD though. They were impressive at the time.

Ron3
07-30-23, 17:17
C7 Z06

I'd forgotten about that one.

Ron3
07-30-23, 17:19
I had a ZL1 & don't think you can touch a better car for the $$$$...especially when it comes to the twisty's.

Chevy did a hell of a job for your $70k...shame they wouldn't market the camaro.

The 1LE is #15 & the standard is #37 @ the Ring'

https://nurburgringlaptimes.com/lap-times-top-100/

Yea the ZL1 is quite the pkg for the money.

But I'd trade 250 hp if it weighed 800 lbs less.

JediGuy
07-30-23, 17:22
I know a guy with a SC SS Cobalt. Too bad it's FWD though. They were impressive at the time.

Eh.
I respect fun cars. I enjoy the effort people put into making them better.
But there was no comparison to a S197 4.6L Mustang.

Ron3
07-30-23, 17:22
Charger and Challenger Hellcats

Oh, yea, duh. Can't believe I forgot about those.

I had a 6.4L Challenger. It was just too big & heavy and I didn't keep it long. Plenty of power to be fun.

I've ridden in Hellcat Challengers and they're nuts. They need 4 wheel drive badly.

Ron3
07-30-23, 19:02
Eh.
I respect fun cars. I enjoy the effort people put into making them better.
But there was no comparison to a S197 4.6L Mustang.

I've had SN95 Cobras & an 03 Cobra. The SN95's need a complete suspension replacement.

The '03 was great fun, but heavy with a flimsy chassis and some reliability issues.

That '03 engine is my favorite. Power everywhere.

What I'd love is a 2800-3400 lb car with a supercharged engine, great suspension, and manual transmission. Only need 300-450 hp to be fun. These days a lightweight 4 or 6 cyl engine can do that. A supercharged straight 6 would be great.

But it doesn't exist.

Artos
07-30-23, 21:31
Yea the ZL1 is quite the pkg for the money.

But I'd trade 250 hp if it weighed 800 lbs less.

Any reason you are stuck on the SC forced induction vs say the ZR1 Vette / Nissan GT-R turbo if wanting something more nimble??

The big 3 are known for being overweight...although the ZL1 1LE did a good job shedding pounds for the track. Unless you want something to race in the local parking lots, the extra 250hp the 1LE has is going to smoke anything with longer straights (real race tracks) vs shedding 800lbs.

C-grunt
07-30-23, 23:39
I forgot about the teen years model Audis had a supercharged 3.0 liter V6.

Ron3
07-30-23, 23:43
Any reason you are stuck on the SC forced induction vs say the ZR1 Vette / Nissan GT-R turbo if wanting something more nimble??

The big 3 are known for being overweight...although the ZL1 1LE did a good job shedding pounds for the track. Unless you want something to race in the local parking lots, the extra 250hp the 1LE has is going to smoke anything with longer straights (real race tracks) vs shedding 800lbs.

I hate turbo lag.

You're correct about the extra 250 hp being nice on tracks like Daytona. It probably has the aero for it, too. I keep it to about 140 mph there because I've only been on it in Mustangs / Mustang Cobra's with no aero mods.

I actually enjoy the slower tracks a little more. Less stressful and it's not a big deal when the car slides a little at 35-55 mph.

On the street when you want power NOW it's nice to not have to downshift because you've got a super charger. Or when you were accelerating casually but decide to step it up due to traffic conditions and find yourself in the wrong gear. And on the track you can sometimes skip a downshift because you've got that wonderful blower to pull you out of the hole.

I've read people complain about the way the power comes on quick in late-model Magna-Steyr-BMW-Toyota-Supras and those are turbocharged of course. But I haven't even sat in one yet and they are difficult to get. I'm not willing to pay over MSRP, either. I think BMW quality is shit (no better than the average VW) based on the experiences of family members and that makes me hesitant.

Ron3
07-30-23, 23:43
I forgot about the teen years model Audis had a supercharged 3.0 liter V6.

What models?

Todd.K
07-31-23, 01:31
You could expand your search by looking at what car models that meet your needs have supercharger kits available. Make what you want.

Ford had the Super Coupe for a few years in the 90’s.

I hate turbo lag.

What kind of experience do you have with modern turbo engines? I’ve found the direct injection and the newer smaller dual scroll turbos to be close to power on demand. That’s making sure you have something with a sport mode turned on, otherwise the emissions / MPG nanny limits your power coming up fast.

Your weight complaint isn’t likely to be addressed as it’s all crash safety mandates. If it wasn’t needed to meet Gov safety mandates, manufacturers would cut weight to meet Gov emissions / MPG mandates.

On a totally impractical but fun to learn about detour, look up anti-lag. Used on turbo rally cars it dumps fuel through the engine or has injection after the engine so it burns in the exhaust pipe before the turbo. Keeps the turbo spooled when off throttle and backfires like crazy.

FromMyColdDeadHand
07-31-23, 11:17
Does anyone use an electric motor assist to get the turbo spinning at low engine RPMs? Kind of an electric-supercharger/turbo-charger. I know moving all the air all the time in a pure electric supercharger can be a big energy suck at larger volumes, but just to get the thing spinning until the revs get higher? The BMWs are to different rpm range turbo systems to IIRC.

Ron3
07-31-23, 11:17
You could expand your search by looking at what car models that meet your needs have supercharger kits available. Make what you want.

Ford had the Super Coupe for a few years in the 90’s.

What kind of experience do you have with modern turbo engines? I’ve found the direct injection and the newer smaller dual scroll turbos to be close to power on demand. That’s making sure you have something with a sport mode turned on, otherwise the emissions / MPG nanny limits your power coming up fast.

Your weight complaint isn’t likely to be addressed as it’s all crash safety mandates. If it wasn’t needed to meet Gov safety mandates, manufacturers would cut weight to meet Gov emissions / MPG mandates.

On a totally impractical but fun to learn about detour, look up anti-lag. Used on turbo rally cars it dumps fuel through the engine or has injection after the engine so it burns in the exhaust pipe before the turbo. Keeps the turbo spooled when off throttle and backfires like crazy.

Late model Turbo VW's, Veloster N, Audi TT, old RX7, old Z, Mustang SVO, T-Bird SVO, Mazda MX-6 come to mind as sporty cars with turbos I've driven. Probably others I'm forgetting. But those have small engines and small turbos. They should be the ones that spool up fast. Especially the newer vehicles.

I am familiar with anti-lag, but I don't know what vehicles employ it.

Family member had an '89 or '90 Thunderbird SC. Was actually quite advanced for its day. I haven't seen one of those in decades!

Sokoloka
07-31-23, 11:40
Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing

C-grunt
07-31-23, 12:56
What models?

S4 for sure. Possibly S5. I think some of the A4, A5, and A6 models had a detuned version of it too.

Artos
07-31-23, 13:04
I hate turbo lag.

You're correct about the extra 250 hp being nice on tracks like Daytona. It probably has the aero for it, too. I keep it to about 140 mph there because I've only been on it in Mustangs / Mustang Cobra's with no aero mods.

The 1LE added a crazy amount of downforce with the dive planes & more aggressive spoiler...they also removed some weight / gave it wider / stickier feet & why it was so much faster around the Ring'. It's top speed is in the 180's due to downforce where the standard is a 200mph car. I know several chaps on camaro6 also had dedicated wheels for race day & the lighter / less rotational mass said to really help times.

If I was a track rat it would be my choice, but the dedicated track suspension would stink for poking around town & why I went with the standard...I never did get mine up to COTA like I had planned.

Todd.K
07-31-23, 13:08
To be clear, by turbo lag you are talking about going from low or mid throttle to WOT in a good power band RPM? Not talking about low RPM power, because many turbo engines power band comes on a bit later.

Turbo technology, more than sizing, has made a huge leap from many of those cars you mention.

Fly by wire does all kinds of stuff for gaming MPG standards and adds power lag by reducing throttle body response vs the pedal. Make sure the sport mode is on if you test drive any. Even better is a tune designed for sporty driving. Even if it doesn’t add a lot of power it can be markedly better driving.

I drove a 2.3 Mustang performance pack and a mild tune a few years back. Never felt lacking for power or response unless you really let it bog in low RPM.

Anti lag is completely impractical for street use, but may be useful on a track. I know it’s available with a tune for some cars.

grizzman
07-31-23, 13:37
I agree completely that turbo designs have improved greatly since the 90s.

I’ve had an early E90 335i for a couple months, and it’s small dual turbos are lag free, as long as the revs are above 2,000 RPM.

The newer models twin-scroll single turbo is supposed to also deliver lag free power, and I see no reason to doubt it.

I drove a Jeep Wrangler with a single turbo, and I I didn’t experience any boost until after I’d been driving it for a couple days….the lag was so excessive.

Turbo engines are certainly not all created equally.

Ron3
07-31-23, 14:52
Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing

Yup. Rare & expensive. But it's supercharged.

I just learned the new Lotus is, too.

I'll probably end up with a used Caymen, even if it's a 4T. It's got everything else.

Travelingchild
07-31-23, 19:44
Don't let a valet drive it.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/video-joyriding-valet-wrecks-cadillac-180000324.html

Would think a car this would have some type of Valet Model to prevent stupid stuff.

VeeDubbinJetta91
07-31-23, 23:54
What models?

If you want manual transmission 2010-2016 S4 and 2013-2016 S5. Both came with the 3.0 V6 supercharged rated at 333hp. A6 came with the same engine, though slightly detuned, but only came in auto. These cars can be made very quick for little money as well. I’ve owned a 2014 S4 for ~7 years.

JDH1
08-01-23, 08:49
I had a 6.4L Challenger.

Minor nit-pick: The 6.4L was a truck engine. The car engine was badged as a 392.

Ron3
08-01-23, 09:56
If you want manual transmission 2010-2016 S4 and 2013-2016 S5. Both came with the 3.0 V6 supercharged rated at 333hp. A6 came with the same engine, though slightly detuned, but only came in auto. These cars can be made very quick for little money as well. I’ve owned a 2014 S4 for ~7 years.

That's cool. I wasn't paying attention to them. Didn't know they had manuals.

What stinks about cars like this is they tend to quickly rack up miles and mods. Sometimes questionable mods and dangerous tunes.

Ron3
08-01-23, 10:02
Minor nit-pick: The 6.4L was a truck engine. The car engine was badged as a 392.

Yea, it felt like it. Good mid rpm torque but although the redline was about 6400 rpm IIRC, it felt like the torque / HP curve flattened out past 5500.

Which means the fun power seemed like it was an a narrow 4000-5500 band.

The Mustang's Coyote doesn't have a particularity wide powerband either, but it's a more characterfull engine for sure with a simple way to find the power; spin the hell out of it. 5250-7400 is the action!

The downside is in the 6sp 1st tops out at 60-somethng, 2nd at 80-something, and 3rd redlines at over 120! You don't get much redline fun in today's powerfull cars unless you're on a big track.

glocktogo
08-01-23, 16:42
Yup. Rare & expensive. But it's supercharged.

I just learned the new Lotus is, too.

I'll probably end up with a used Caymen, even if it's a 4T. It's got everything else.

Came here to say the new Emira is available with a supercharged V6. So was the Evora GT it replaced and there may still be a few collecting dust in dealer showrooms. A well cared for used Cayman S would definitely be a better daily driver than a Lotus, but I don't know if I'd spend as much as they want for a 718 Cayman and be stuck with a 4T. :confused:

Probably the best bang for the buck would be a Lebanon Ford Performance prepped Mustang GT with a Roush supercharger. They're warrantied and start at $49,500

https://www.lebanonfordperformance.com/2023-lfp-supercharged-mustang-for-49500/

Ron3
08-02-23, 19:30
Came here to say the new Emira is available with a supercharged V6. So was the Evora GT it replaced and there may still be a few collecting dust in dealer showrooms. A well cared for used Cayman S would definitely be a better daily driver than a Lotus, but I don't know if I'd spend as much as they want for a 718 Cayman and be stuck with a 4T. :confused:

Probably the best bang for the buck would be a Lebanon Ford Performance prepped Mustang GT with a Roush supercharger. They're warrantied and start at $49,500

https://www.lebanonfordperformance.com/2023-lfp-supercharged-mustang-for-49500/

Thanks but I'm not a horsepower chaser. I already have a nearly 500 hp late model Mustang.

I'd give away 150 hp to lose 800 lbs.

hotbiggun42
08-02-23, 21:58
New carvette

glocktogo
08-02-23, 22:02
Thanks but I'm not a horsepower chaser. I already have a nearly 500 hp late model Mustang.

I'd give away 150 hp to lose 800 lbs.

Well if you want a supercharger and 800 lbs less, you just reduced your factory options to zero. Not even the Emira will satisfy you.

Just get a GR86 and put an HKS supercharger on it.

Ron3
08-03-23, 07:23
Well if you want a supercharger and 800 lbs less, you just reduced your factory options to zero. Not even the Emira will satisfy you.

Just get a GR86 and put an HKS supercharger on it.

I didn't know the Emira was heavy. I thought it was about 3200 lbs like a 4T Cayman.

But, yea, nobody makes what I want, I'd have to put it together myself.

Ron3
08-03-23, 07:29
New carvette

The last Corvette I liked was the C6 (styling-wise). Corvettes seem to be best at two things: Tracks and criusing. Daily driving not so much. (High limits, seating position, no manual in C8, little steering / chassis sensation in according to reviews)

Rayrevolver
08-04-23, 06:36
I didn't know the Emira was heavy. I thought it was about 3200 lbs like a 4T Cayman.

But, yea, nobody makes what I want, I'd have to put it together myself.

The Emira weighs 3,097-3,175 lbs depending on the source. Just saw one of these for the first time in real life, very cool car.

Not recent but I would love a 2006 Exige-S: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a18199854/2007-lotus-exige-s-first-drive-review/

Ron3
08-04-23, 08:18
The Emira weighs 3,097-3,175 lbs depending on the source. Just saw one of these for the first time in real life, very cool car.

Not recent but I would love a 2006 Exige-S: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a18199854/2007-lotus-exige-s-first-drive-review/

I've never owned a Lotus but I do like them. Smaller than most Ferraris and Aston Martins while still beautiful.

I listened to a bunch of sounds from the 4T Cayman. The sound is so weak it's embarrassing. (To the driver & passenger)

glocktogo
08-04-23, 11:43
I've never owned a Lotus but I do like them. Smaller than most Ferraris and Aston Martins while still beautiful.

I listened to a bunch of sounds from the 4T Cayman. The sound is so weak it's embarrassing. (To the driver & passenger)

I remember the glory days of wheeling around in a 2,700 lb class car with manual everything and a killer soundtrack. It's an experience anyone with a healthy testosterone level should have to be complete.

Alas I'm too old and slow to enjoy another round of that. So my current dream is to plop my keister into a plush GT car and enjoy the benefits of power everything. Yeah it'll weigh just North of two tons, but with 454hp it will probably get me in less trouble than something much lighter and faster, and it will shine just as bright 2/3rds to 3/4ths throttle, not full wail. Speaking of wail, it will do something an Emira or 718 could never do, make a Ferrari sourced V8 sound better than it actually does in a Ferrari. Probably the best soundtrack this side of an LFA or Zonda.

https://cdn.motor1.com/images/mgl/XK1G9/s3/2018-maserati-granturismo-first-drive.webp