PDA

View Full Version : Timney Impact AR Trigger

markm
08-02-23, 12:33
Anyone tried this yet? I've been eyeing them in my email ads for a week or two. But Midway put them on sale for $99, and I had to strike.

I'm not even a trigger gay, but Timney's products have been good in the bolt guns. Rated at 3 lbs single stage.

GH41
08-02-23, 15:38
Mark, I cannot believe you are going to run a trigger held in with screws.

b_saan
08-02-23, 16:13
I've been using the more expensive yellow 4lb Timneys for years, recently switched over to using the 4lb Wilson Combat TTU in my new builds and haven't had any issues with either. The Timney Impacts are supposed to be decent but I've never tried one.

markm
08-02-23, 17:11
Mark, I cannot believe you are going to run a trigger held in with screws.

Held in by screws? Looks to just be a self contained unit that uses the standard .154 pins.

ViniVidivici
08-03-23, 01:20
Anyone tried this yet? I've been eyeing them in my email ads for a week or two. But Midway put them on sale for $99, and I had to strike.

I'm not even a trigger gay, but Timney's products have been good in the bolt guns. Rated at 3 lbs single stage.

Quoted for hilarity! HA!

GH41
08-03-23, 05:14
Held in by screws? Looks to just be a self contained unit that uses the standard .154 pins.

Unless I misunderstood the instructions the standard pins are held in by set screws with jamb screws holding in the set screws.

Dutch110
08-03-23, 08:38

It's ok. This is a safe space. You can come out :D

markm
08-03-23, 08:44
Unless I misunderstood the instructions the standard pins are held in by set screws with jamb screws holding in the set screws.

Could be. I guess I'm going to find out.

markm
08-03-23, 15:17
Read a review article on it that says the trigger indeed has some sort of set screw system. I still want to play with it and determine if I'd trust it for anything serious.

ViniVidivici
08-03-23, 15:44
Personally I could never get past the screws being in play, especially with so many normal trigger options out there.

All our guns are "working guns" though. I suppose in a dedicated tack driver it'd be okay.

gaijin
08-03-23, 16:06
Tom Vehr worked for Timmney and designed their AR trigger from what I’ve read.
He started Velocity Precision Engineering after “not compete” lapsed.
He was employed by Knights to produce triggers for an extended period as well.

He produces an AR cartridge trigger that IMO is an improved Timmney.
It features a second set screw that prevents the frame pin screw from loosening- similar to “double nutting” a bolt.

I’ve had no issues with either the Velocity or Timmney triggers in Range or Precision ARs.

https://velocitytriggers.com/about/

georgeib
08-03-23, 16:25
I don't think it wise to trust any cassette type trigger for "anything serious," Mark. I seem to remember Iraqguns mentioning similar. The ability to clear debris, such as a popped primer, is seriously inhibited.

1_click_off
08-03-23, 17:48
I have one of their triggers. The set screws thread through the cassette and contact the lower.the pressure basically jacks the cartridge up putting pressure on the pins to prevent them from walking. Then there is another set screw that locks the lower one in place. I ran a Timney in my TAC-15 crossbow for years. Never had an issue with it.

Uncas47
08-03-23, 18:53
" Set screws" gotta luvit.

markm
08-03-23, 21:07
I don't think it wise to trust any cassette type trigger for "anything serious," Mark. I seem to remember Iraqguns mentioning similar. The ability to clear debris, such as a popped primer, is seriously inhibited.

Well I'll definitely get to test the popped primer concern with the amount of CCI 41s we still have. I may put this in the ACOG AR to run it every week rather than a gun that doesn't see frequent use.

It's not like there's no other set screws on an AR these days. If, for some reason, there's a problem, I will bitch about it.

Deerhunter_28
08-03-23, 22:30
I have one on 2 AR’s no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JediGuy
08-04-23, 05:53
Tom Vehr worked for Timmney and designed their AR trigger from what I’ve read.
He started Velocity Precision Engineering after “not compete” lapsed.
He was employed by Knights to produce triggers for an extended period as well.

He produces an AR cartridge trigger that IMO is an improved Timmney.
It features a second set screw that prevents the frame pin screw from loosening- similar to “double nutting” a bolt.

I’ve had no issues with either the Velocity or Timmney triggers in Range or Precision ARs.

https://velocitytriggers.com/about/

Very interesting. Long ago when I worried a bit more about $$, Velocity was the trigger I planned to buy for my first AR. Probably due to advice here (disdain for cassettes), I passed and eventually got a Geissele. Maybe I’ll pick one up just to see. I know Velocity was the “excellent value” back then.

markm
08-04-23, 09:04
Probably due to advice here (disdain for cassettes), I passed and eventually got a Geissele. Maybe I’ll pick one up just to see. I know Velocity was the “excellent value” back then.

Being that I normally give zero crap about triggers, this is the first time I've read the term "cassettes" in regards to triggers.

We have the Schmidts, Geisseles, and even Homo Larue's trigger in a gun. This one will just be for fun... to see how Timney compares.

grizzman
08-04-23, 13:03
I don’t think it’s an “Impact” model, but I’ve been using a single stage Timney for numerous years.

The trigger pins are secured by set screws and also locking screws. With the addition of some lock-rite, any worry about the pins sliding out is pure fantasy.

Needing an Allen wrench to remove the cassette is hardly ideal, but if it’s not s fighting gun, it won’t get ya killed.

The Impact may be better than mine (I need to look at my spreadsheet for the model name), but I’m not overly impressed. The weight before hammer release is good, but it’s kinda creepy.

markm
08-04-23, 13:41
Cool. Doesn't look like it'll arrive until next week so I won't get to shoot it this weekend either way.

turnburglar
08-06-23, 13:19
While I have mucho respect for IG; and his opinion on AR's...

I have had blown primers lock up plenty of triggers that were not cassette types. Would cassette triggers have locked up sooner? Probably not IMO.

georgeib
08-06-23, 13:23

I have had blown primers lock up plenty of triggers that were not cassette types. Would cassette triggers have locked up sooner? Probably not IMO.

I think the difference is in how easy a primer, or other debris, is to clear.

JediGuy
08-06-23, 14:14
I think the difference is in how easy a primer, or other debris, is to clear.

That is exactly how he framed the concern.

Ned Christiansen
08-06-23, 16:27
You guys are making some good points, that I try to hammer home in classes.

The other big thing is, bump firing off your shoulder. On some triggers, the movement is so short, the reset is so short, and the pull weight so light, that
it'll bump fire right off your shoulder. I saw an outfit at NRA with many AR triggers on display; some were alarmingly light.

ME: "Do you ever get questions from people that use these triggers, like comments that they are bump firing? What do you tell them?"

HIM: "Yes, we've had those calls. I tell them learn how to shoot!"

Worst effing answer possible. People who know how to shoot, and those who as yet do not, damned well ought to be able to shoot an AR15 without having to learn a new, unique technique, to avoid unintended discharges. I interpreted his comments as "People are stupid. With our trigger all that "slow steady squeeze" BS doesn't work. With our trigger you convulse your whole fist including your trigger finger. People need to learn that."

1_click_off
08-06-23, 20:35
You guys are making some good points, that I try to hammer home in classes.

The other big thing is, bump firing off your shoulder. On some triggers, the movement is so short, the reset is so short, and the pull weight so light, that
it'll bump fire right off your shoulder. I saw an outfit at NRA with many AR triggers on display; some were alarmingly light.

ME: "Do you ever get questions from people that use these triggers, like comments that they are bump firing? What do you tell them?"

HIM: "Yes, we've had those calls. I tell them learn how to shoot!"

Worst effing answer possible. People who know how to shoot, and those who as yet do not, damned well ought to be able to shoot an AR15 without having to learn a new, unique technique, to avoid unintended discharges. I interpreted his comments as "People are stupid. With our trigger all that "slow steady squeeze" BS doesn't work. With our trigger you convulse your whole fist including your trigger finger. People need to learn that."

Glad this trigger lives in my Tac15. No bumpfiring happening there!!! I had it in my Stribog to test a few things, but it is back home in the tac.

markm
08-07-23, 08:55

The AR I was planning on running the trigger is locked up right now. I think there's a primer in the cam pin slot from yesterday. I'm wondering, at this point, if I don't need Ned's reamer. I can't figure out why this barrel pops so many primers.

markm
08-08-23, 09:25
So this thing is already a thorn in my nut sack. Got it yesterday and tore down a SOCOM BCM M4. The "cassette" won't fit forward enough in the lower to get the pins inserted. It's very close, but slightly occluded in the front of the pin holes.

The lower is an Eagle/Armalite that I've had for decades. My other most actively used ARs already have the preferred triggers for their use installed.

ViniVidivici
08-08-23, 09:41
The AR I was planning on running the trigger is locked up right now. I think there's a primer in the cam pin slot from yesterday. I'm wondering, at this point, if I don't need Ned's reamer. I can't figure out why this barrel pops so many primers.

Excessively tight headspace maybe?

As for the trigger, that'll be reason 106 why I don't like the idea of them. Sounds like you'd have to relieve some material in front of the pocket to get that thing in.

Sanding a tight magwell is one thing, but that....

markm
08-08-23, 10:36
I could grind on the outside of the front corners of the trigger housing. But I'm going to try another lower first just to see if I can get it installed in a lower at all.

ViniVidivici
08-08-23, 11:14
You're right, better to alter it than the lower.

markm
08-08-23, 13:33
I don't see the blown primer being any worse to clear than a standard trigger group. But over all, the "cassette" idea isn't thrilling me so far.

markm
08-08-23, 20:33
I got this unit to go right in on another lower. Feels really good dry firing, and reset is great. But live fire is really where you find any weakness in a trigger's characteristics.

https://i.imgur.com/1GzTMx0.jpg

georgeib
08-08-23, 21:20
I got this unit to go right in on another lower. Feels really good dry firing, and reset is great. But live fire is really where you find any weakness in a trigger's characteristics.

https://i.imgur.com/1GzTMx0.jpg

Glad you found a lower to work with it. Timney makes a great feeling trigger, no doubt about it. Just needs a little grease and a little oil.

markm
08-08-23, 23:16
Glad you found a lower to work with it. Timney makes a great feeling trigger, no doubt about it. Just needs a little grease and a little oil.

You think I should use the Geissele grease on the engagement surfaces?

georgeib
08-09-23, 04:55
You think I should use the Geissele grease on the engagement surfaces?If that's what you have, I definitely would. If it slides grease it, if it rolls oil it.

markm
08-09-23, 08:38
I'll do that before I take it out.

ViniVidivici
08-09-23, 20:02
If that's what you have, I definitely would. If it slides grease it, if it rolls oil it.

Words to live by.

markm
08-14-23, 13:13
Well the trigger is nice and ran flawlessly. Now I didn't shoot hundreds of rounds or anything, but we did run it on an ACOG for some steel banging out to 600 yards. Then we put a 10.5 LMT upper on it and shot some short range steel.

Hammered pairs worked fine with it, and I didn't sense that it was too light to where it would "bump fire". The trigger shoe feels a little thin compared to a standard GI trigger. Both of us shot it short range and forgot to pay attention to the trigger when we started smacking steel.

The components are supposed to be bomb proof, so as long as it doesn't work loose we'll keep shooting it.

ViniVidivici
08-14-23, 15:13
Fair enough, if it's workin' it's workin'!

On a related subject, I'm thinking of picking up a steel target to bang at 400-600 yards, basic ARs, most magnification would be 6x.

You think a 12x20 is good, should I go smaller or bigger? What do you two use?

markm
08-14-23, 20:41
We run some IPSC sized targets. Like 18 X 24 estimated? 1/4" steel is best. Everyone goes overboard with the 3/8", but it doesn't ring nearly as well. 1/4" is best as long as you're not hammering it with 300 WM a whole lot. Not that it can't take it, but the mounting will break sooner.

markm
01-01-24, 08:15
We took this gun/trigger out yesterday. It had been sitting on the sideline for a while. I think the one thing that feels weird to me is the skinny trigger shoe. It's just strange feeling. I'm going to try to get another optic on the gun and run it some more this year though.

ChattanoogaPhil
01-01-24, 12:57
Timney Impact AR shows to be a 1S 3-4lb. Sounds about the same as my Timney 668-S 1S 4lb purchased back in 2016 for a rimfire rifle. Not a bad trigger though the setscrews came loose soon after installation. Cleaned and reinstalled with Loctite. No problems since. I prefer the spring tension design of my TTU over that of setscrews. Speaking of... Wilson is selling the TTU for $150 today. I paid $250 on sale a decade ago. Inflation....

JediGuy
01-01-24, 13:24
I’ve wanted the TTU Howe trigger for a while, but tax and shipping bump it up to $175 for me. Eh.

Stickman
01-01-24, 13:59
I’ve wanted the TTU Howe trigger for a while, but tax and shipping bump it up to $175 for me. Eh.

Thats one of my favorite triggers. Very clean, and not too light.