PDA

View Full Version : Ukrainian snipers: Ghillie suits? No thanks.

Slater
08-05-23, 10:00
Guess what they're doing works for them, but I'm not sure how much impact it will have on our training. Can't say that I've ever heard of the Cadex CX-33 TAC.

"A Ukrainian sniper identified as Federchuk by the Kyiv Post said the Canadian-made Cadex Defence CX-33 TAC series rifle, .338 Lapua Magnum caliber, quickly became popular among snipers early in the war.

Other popular sniper weapons include the Finnish-made SAKO TRG and the US-made Barrett MRAD, both of which are used in .338 but also .308 as well. Unlike the heavy .50 caliber rifles more suitable for targeting vehicles, rifles in these calibers are preferred for engaging human targets."

The snipers who talked about their experiences with the Kyiv Post's Stefan Korshak said that snipers in the Ukrainian armed forces rarely use ghillie suits because they are heavy, which can be somewhat less than ideal when they're hiking miles across the battlefield.

The relatively wet climate and mud-covered battlefields also tend to make them less effective when it comes to blending in, as it spoils the desired leafy effect, but a much bigger problem is what they mean to the operators of the drones constantly buzzing overhead.

The odd mixture of trenches and artillery battles and modern technology has led some observers to describe Ukraine's battlefields as being akin to World War I, but with drones, thousands of which are being used all along the front lines for reconnaissance and surveillance purposes.

Ukrainian marksmen don't much care for the ghillie suit because if a drone were to spot them while they were moving to a new position it would be instantly obvious what their mission is and make them a high-priority target.

There are other alternatives to the ghillie suit, they said, that are lighter and can be easily fitted with material that can improve the wearer's concealment against thermal sensors and night-vision systems, troubling threats to sniper operations."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ukrainian-snipers-dont-care-big-130315796.html

rero360
08-05-23, 10:14
Is it just me or does it look like the brake on the rifle in the first photo look like it’s timing is off by 90 degrees?

joedirt199
08-05-23, 10:49
Oh it is off for sure.

Coal Dragger
08-05-23, 12:05
Interesting looking rig, pricey like an AI or Barrett:

https://www.eurooptic.com/Cadex-Patriot-Tac-Rifle-27-OD-Green-338LM-CDX33-TAC-338-27.aspx

gaijin
08-05-23, 12:49
Is it just me or does it look like the brake on the rifle in the first photo look like it’s timing is off by 90 degrees?

No. It’s the “Anti Drone” MD. Theory is the muzzle blast can bring one down, failing that- the dust cloud created by bottom port obscures shooter from Drone.

mRad
08-05-23, 15:34

Totally off by 90.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Todd.K
08-05-23, 18:35
I also might favor the 338LM if the ammo was free.