PDA

View Full Version : Odd yet easy dinner recipes?

ABNAK
08-05-23, 19:58
Something that might clog the arteries, it might give you a little heartburn, but you love it and it's easy? Something you can throw together on a work night (or have your wife do it!).

Me? Hot Dog Manicotti:

Pack of Ball Park bun-length Angus beef dogs (you may like another)

Box of manicotti noodles

1 Can of Hormel Hot Chili with Beans (you may like another, even some homemade stuff)

1 small jar of Ragu

Package of shredded cheddar or Mexican mix cheese

Boil manicotti noodles. Place one hot dog in each one. Line up in an oven dish. Pour chili (with beans!) and Ragu all over it at the same time. Cover with cheese. Bake at 350 for ~ 35 minutes. Nom nom! :dance3:

SteyrAUG
08-05-23, 20:11
Just reading that put me in the bathroom for 20 minutes.

ABNAK
08-05-23, 20:37
Just reading that put me in the bathroom for 20 minutes.

You'll enjoy the prequel to that bathroom time! :lol:

Hey, I never said it was on the vegan 100cal high-fiber menu did I? :cool:

flenna
08-05-23, 20:52
Put pork roast in crockpot, cover with apple cider vinegar and throw in as many garlic cloves as you can stand. Cook until the pork shreds. Eat it on a bun with bbq sauce, in a tortilla with salsa verde and lime or just as a main meat dish. Next day reheat in a frying pan until a bit crisp for a dish of carnitas.

Slater
08-05-23, 21:08
Hamburger Helper, anyone?

SteyrAUG
08-05-23, 21:11
You'll enjoy the prequel to that bathroom time! :lol:

Hey, I never said it was on the vegan 100cal high-fiber menu did I? :cool:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/dumbanddumber/images/5/52/Lloyd_Holding_Turbo_Lax.png/revision/latest?cb=20180724224647

ABNAK
08-05-23, 21:12

BTDT. Maybe dump one of those small cans of corn in as it nears finishing. We'll use leftover taco meat for any HH we make. Well, maybe tuna every now and then with peas instead of corn.

dmd08
08-05-23, 21:17
"Tugboats". Slice a hot dog or brat of your choice lengthwise. Add a couple scoops of leftover mashed potatoes from Sunday dinner. Top with cheese. Microwave until hot/cheese melted. My family ridicules me. I don't care. I love me a tugboat.

hotbiggun42
08-05-23, 21:32
Tag, finally a useful thread. Not sure im brave enough to try the OPs hotdog manicotti.

SteyrAUG
08-05-23, 21:32
I always taco season some ground pork to make fast tacos during the week.

hotbiggun42
08-05-23, 21:34
I always taco season some ground pork to make fast tacos during the week.

Same, wife loves my ground pork tacos.

Taco ring, 1lb of ground beef, 2 rolls of can crassants,
Lay out the crassants in a circle on a cookie dish, add the meat, cheese, black olives, roll it up, bake per instructions on the label, add lettuce.

hotbiggun42
08-05-23, 21:37

Cousin Eddie style? Hamgurgers on the grill untill done then garnish with a box of hamburger helper. Lol

LoboTBL
08-05-23, 21:50
ABNAK making that serious, gourmet Chili Mac!!! For those of you who don't know, Chili Mac is one of the finest field meals ever served in the Army. It beats SOS hands down.

Something I've made several times since I got a Blackstone griddle is my own version of street tacos. I'll throw some shaved beef on it with some seasoning and some chopped Hatch chiles. Heat up some tortillas and add some cilantro and onion. Takes less than 30 minutes. Cleaning the griddle isn't even that bad.

Hank6046
08-05-23, 21:57
Put pork roast in crockpot, cover with apple cider vinegar and throw in as many garlic cloves as you can stand. Cook until the pork shreds. Eat it on a bun with bbq sauce, in a tortilla with salsa verde and lime or just as a main meat dish. Next day reheat in a frying pan until a bit crisp for a dish of carnitas.

Something very similar my friend and permanent E4 from the border (Bownsville Tx) taught me when I was in, stupid easy and wonderful tacos I usually make for hunting and fishing trips. Plus a video of Mat Best and Rocco Vargas making something very similar (I copied the text for the most part)

Pork roast/ shoulder
1 - head of garlic minced
1- can of beer (Coors Light or whatever)
1 - 2 Liter Dr. Pepper/ Coke
1/2- Stick of butter
1 - bottle BBQ sauce
Salt, garlic ( I dump in some taco seasoning)
*all the above goes in crockpot

Cabbage Coleslaw
Cilantro (pico de gallo)
Tortillas

I usually smoke the pork first for a few hours in my Traeger when at home, but just throw in a crockpot all day when I don't have the grill/ smoker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCsVVMNG0_A&t=18s

ABNAK
08-05-23, 21:58
Tag, finally a useful thread. Not sure im brave enough to try the OPs hotdog manicotti.

Hey at first glance it's like "Eww, that's disgusting". But it's damned good!

Hank6046
08-05-23, 22:03

I get it, my uncle still makes Shit on a Shingle with Spam and Chicken thighs, it does mean that I have to take some tums after but damn if it isn't tasty

ABNAK
08-05-23, 22:07
I get it, my uncle still makes Shit on a Shingle with Spam and Chicken thighs, it does mean that I have to take some tums after but damn if it isn't tasty

What's he using for the "gravy" portion of it?

I've been known to have a Spam/egg/cheese biscuit on the way to work before! Of course the Spam is sliced and cooked up in "Cock Sauce" (Sriracha with the rooster on the bottle) on the weekend then is frozen in a ziplock and I take out what I need the night before.

Hank6046
08-05-23, 22:19
What's he using for the "gravy" portion of it?

I've been known to have a Spam/egg/cheese biscuit on the way to work before! Of course the Spam is sliced and cooked up in "Cock Sauce" (Sriracha with the rooster on the bottle) on the weekend then is frozen in a ziplock and I take out what I need the night before.

I would assume its just a flour, egg, milk, butter mix with heavy pepper and garlic and red onions are added. He's not one for spices, but he uses a bakery sourdough loaf that is toasted on the grill after the chicken and spam so it picks up all that excess fat, he strips the chicken thighs off the bone after grilling them and cuts them into tiny chunks with the spam before plating, usually served with a can of french cut green beans and side of doritos. All these are hunting camp meals which just make me start to itch for fall

Averageman
08-05-23, 23:14
ABNAK making that serious, gourmet Chili Mac!!! For those of you who don't know, Chili Mac is one of the finest field meals ever served in the Army. It beats SOS hands down.

Aparently you not had your entire Crew eat Chili-Macand then you all settle inside the Tank for the evening.
About 2200 it sounds like the horn section of the Trans Siberia Orchestra.

SteyrAUG
08-06-23, 00:27

If I'm doing dogs, I grill them up then chop them up and drop them in a can of Bush's Country Style Baked Beans. It's a lot less grease, a lot more flavor and a lot less being trapped in the bathroom.

ChattanoogaPhil
08-06-23, 12:04
Now and then the wife buys a cheap frozen pizza then ads more onion, bacon bits, cheese and olives. Damn good dinner on the cheap and easy. .

StainlessSteelRat
08-06-23, 12:16
Years ago when we were young and broke, we found we were down to a box of Rice a Roni, 6 eggs, and a package of Jimmy Dean sausages. She cooked it all up and mixed it together, and we put salsa on it in tortillas. We loved it, even the kids scarfed it down. We've called it Junk, and still make it occasionally and reminisce of old times.

Averageman
08-06-23, 16:18
When I'm in a hurry I make some Ziti which is very easy.
For company, I'll make a roast in the crockpot.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-07-23, 08:54
Ground Beef
Cottage Cheese
Shredded Cheese
Taco Sauce

Super easy high protein meal, like a mexican lasagna without noodles.

08-07-23, 14:23
Y’all are…creative. I’ll try some of this stuff later.

I eat canned soup/stew, or instant grits when I’m feeling super lazy. Or a steak.

I bet tortilla chips added at the right time to some of these recipes would give them a satisfying crunch.

flenna
08-07-23, 15:57
Y’all are…creative. I’ll try some of this stuff later.

I eat canned soup/stew, or instant grits when I’m feeling super lazy. Or a steak.

Ha, same here. I buy a whole beef every year so it’s fairly quick and easy for me to just throw a couple of ribeyes on the grill.

08-07-23, 17:29
Ha, same here. I buy a whole beef every year so it’s fairly quick and easy for me to just throw a couple of ribeyes on the grill.

Yeah, a steak is like the laziest thing I know how to cook that doesn’t come out of a can. And honestly in the current economy, comparatively affordable.

1) meat
2) pan
3) stove and/or oven
4) salt and pepper or seasoning mix

Combine. 10-15 minute job. 4 dish items to wash: pan, plate, knife, fork.

I’m gonna make a variant of Abnak’s thing tonight.

C-grunt
08-07-23, 17:42
Mississippi Mud pot roast

Put chuck roast in the crock pot. Pour a package of powder ranch on top and a packet of powder au ju on top. Full stick of butter on top. Put 4-6 peppercinis around it. Cook for 8 hours. Amazing.

Make sure you use a chuck roast. A leaner cut will be too dry.

C-grunt
08-07-23, 17:47
One that they used to feed us in preschool that Ive loved since childhood. I call it spanish rice.

Make a box of spanish rice. What kind doesnt matter.
add a pound of ground beef.
add a small can of tomato sauce.
add some corn. Usually 1 can or half a smaller frozen bag is good. If using frozen, cook it first.
add worchestershire sauce to taste.

Averageman
08-07-23, 18:24
Coat a baking dish with oil.
Fill the bakng dish with frozen burrito's.
Add a can of enchilada sauce.
Add a can of ranch style beans with jalapenos.
Add a can of Hot Rotel and another can of enchilada sauce.
Cover the entire top with cheese.
Add some black olives on top.
Throw it in the oven for 20-30 minutes at 400.

Co-gnARR
08-07-23, 18:27
Ok, I’ll bite.

Imitation kailua pork:
Pork shoulder aka boston butt (costco has nice options). Bone in, boneless, doesn’t matter. Fattier cuts are better than lean IMO. Salt liberally with pink or black Hawaiian salts if you have them, kosher salt if you don’t. If you have a crock, add the pork, a few dashes of liquid smoke (no additional liquid needed as the fat and moisture renders nicely on its own). Cover, cook low & slow as long as you can wait. I start mine in the evening, run it all night, and then again over the day before leaving for work. The meat will shred nicely. If you like cabbage, add a head after cutting into 1/8ths for the last 4-8 hours of cooking.

If using an Instantpot, follow above, add some water or other liquid, the cook on high pressure for 45-60 minutes. Let it vent itself, unless adding cabbage. For cabbage, vent the pot, add cabbage, recook for 1 minute on high. Fast vent, make a bed with the cabbage, then add the pork, and shred. Enjoy.

jsbhike
08-07-23, 18:29
Hot dogs or brats simmered in beer till they split open.

ABNAK
08-07-23, 19:38
Yeah, a steak is like the laziest thing I know how to cook that doesn’t come out of a can. And honestly in the current economy, comparatively affordable.

1) meat
2) pan
3) stove and/or oven
4) salt and pepper or seasoning mix

Combine. 10-15 minute job. 4 dish items to wash: pan, plate, knife, fork.

I’m gonna make a variant of Abnak’s thing tonight.

Think of it as a chili-cheese dog but instead of a bun you use manicotti noodles. Since manicotti noodles are not always easy to find you could wrap each one in boiled lasagna noodles instead. These are a fork-and-knife meal, not pick it up like a regular hot dog.

AKDoug
08-08-23, 00:31
You said easy odd dinners... Frozen ElMonteray beef/been burritos with ketchup... don't judge me.

1_click_off
08-08-23, 21:42
I would be ashamed to post mine…. I tried, but I just can’t do it.

08-08-23, 21:52
Think of it as a chili-cheese dog but instead of a bun you use manicotti noodles. Since manicotti noodles are not always easy to find you could wrap each one in boiled lasagna noodles instead. These are a fork-and-knife meal, not pick it up like a regular hot dog.

So, the modification I made was I used elbow mac, and instead of Ragu, I used Food Lion spaghetti sauce, and I sliced up the hot dogs. I ate it, and it wasn’t bad at all. Leftovers were fine, too.

Diamondback
08-08-23, 23:00
Quick and easy: one package Hormel Square Table microwave beef tips, two packages Barilla microwave rotini, add beef gravy and sour cream to taste.

AndyLate
08-09-23, 06:47
You said easy odd dinners... Frozen ElMonteray beef/been burritos with ketchup... don't judge me.

It's weird that frozen burritos taste good with ketchup, but they do.

Andy

Adrenaline_6
08-09-23, 14:24
Rice tacos/tostadas:

Boil up some medium grain japanese style sticky rice. (not pilaf or uncle bens crap). Having a dedicated rice cooker is the best and easiest.
Fry up a pound of crumbled hamburger and add in a pack of Schillings Taco seasoning and the required amount of water.
Cut up your taco condiments (lettuce, tomato, onion, cheese, etc)

In a plate, just flatten some sticky rice into a tortilla shape
put some of the prepared ground beef and then condiments on the rice tortilla
crush and crumble some tortilla chips over it (if you want to add some extra flavor use your favorite flavor Doritos instead of plain tortilla chipps)
drizzle a bunch of Ortega's Taco sauce over it

Done. Freaking amazing and filling.

ABNAK
08-09-23, 17:59
So, the modification I made was I used elbow mac, and instead of Ragu, I used Food Lion spaghetti sauce, and I sliced up the hot dogs. I ate it, and it wasn’t bad at all. Leftovers were fine, too.

Ain't nothin' wrong with substitutions man! All the stuff you made it with was essentially the same.