PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded Trigger and Shooting (Beretta 92)

AndyLate
08-06-23, 08:13
I recently purchased and installed a LTT "Trigger Job in a Bag" on my Beretta 92G. I also installed a 16 lb hammer spring (aka "D" spring), Wilson short reach trigger, and a Beretta Elite II hammer in my Girsan Regard (Turk 92 copy). I did not measure trigger pulls, but the Beretta's trigger is significantly better in all ways.

I took the Beretta and Girsan to the range yesterday. I fired DA/SA pairs for 12 rounds with each pistol and then SA for 150ish rounds, split between them. The DA trigger in the Beretta is amazing, and the SA is noticeably cleaner but not much lighter than on the Girsan. I noticed the Wilson short trigger on my Girsan more than a difference between SA trigger pulls. Grouping was basically the same from both pistols, although the Beretta shoots a bit left, Girsan is POA/POI.

The ugly truth in the end is that I don't shoot well enough to see a real difference from the trigger job. I do not regret buying and installing the LTT parts, but, IMHO, the biggest "bang for the buck" is swapping the factory hammer spring for a "D" spring.

Both pistols functioned perfectly with an assortment of magazines and ammunition, as expected from the Beretta 92 design.

Andy

P.S. The Wilson trigger was a gift from a member here and I think it complements the Girsan's slightly smaller grip circumference. It makes the 92 design a little more friendly to smaller hands than mine.

Ron3
08-06-23, 08:54
I put a 16 lb hammer spring in my 92X. It's fine.

I put a 14 lb hammer spring in my 96A1, thin grips, then added the Wilson short reach trigger. When I started firing 155 gr ammo it seemed a bit hard on the gun so I put the factory 20 lb spring back in.

It's not bad even with the 20 lb spring. A little worse than a factory S&W 686 DA because it's longer and stacks. So I might put an 18lb spring in it if LTT sells one that won't stack.

I like how the Berettas smack primers. A "click" when you want "bang" stinks.

As much as I like a good feeling trigger, I think there is a point of diminishing returns. Perhaps you found your spot just using a "D" (16 lb) hammer spring.

AndyLate
08-06-23, 11:42
I ordered my LTT kit with a 14 lb hammer spring, but LTT says a 13 lb spring is perfectly reliable. I also like a well smacked primer. To correct a minor error - I installed a 16 lb Wolffe spring in the Girsan, not a Beretta spring, according to the package.

My thought was that if Beretta considered a 16 lb hammer spring sufficient in the DAO pistols, it should be fine in a DA/SA pistol.

Andy

Ron3
08-06-23, 13:41
I ordered my LTT kit with a 14 lb hammer spring, but LTT says a 13 lb spring is perfectly reliable. I also like a well smacked primer. To correct a minor error - I installed a 16 lb Wolffe spring in the Girsan, not a Beretta spring, according to the package.

My thought was that if Beretta considered a 16 lb hammer spring sufficient in the DAO pistols, it should be fine in a DA/SA pistol.

Andy

Beretta uses the 16 lb hammer spring in new 92X pistols.

prdubi
08-07-23, 02:14
I found no improvements until I did a conical bushing and went with a better tighter fitting barrel which was a barsto NM.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

Ron3
08-07-23, 07:54
Try and check bore diameter, too.

My 4.25 in 92X shoots everything 100 fps slower (from my chronograph compared to other pistols I've had firing the same batch of ammo) than it should because the bore is oversized. I read this is common in 92's, too.

When I measured groove diameter I got .3565 IIRC. I'm not sure about the rifling but it's fine based on accuracy and it slices into plated bullets. On paper targets there are strands of plating leaving slices away from the bullet hole. (Not for suppressor use!)

It doesn't like all bullets! On the same day Underwood 68 gr bullets were giving me 2.5 in 5 shot groups at 25 yds (had an optic) Fiocchi 147 gr fmj was giving 6-8 in groups. Multiple times. I couldn't believe how bad it was. Most ammo gives 3-5 inches, which is expected firing a "regular" pistol freehand.

But that same Fiocchi ammo shoots great from my CX4 and AP5's, thankfully.

My M92X Centurion fires 124 gr +p XTP at 1050 fps. Golden Saber 124 gr +P 1080 fps. So I carry it with Underwood +p+ 147 gr Gold Dot. Those give 1060 fps. It shoots everything slower.

I got a new 96A1 .40. So far so good with that one. The grooves measure .400, so not overbored. It seems accurate but I haven't done "formal" accuracy tests with it yet. I've been carrying that with Underwood 155 gr XTP. The avg. velocity is almost identical to what I get with Federal 155 gr AE fmj, about 1165 fps. Yea, it's slappy.