PDA

View Full Version : The fate of the Beretta 92A1?

Irfan
08-13-23, 23:25
The Beretta 92A1 is my favorite pistol that Beretta makes. Looking at the construction itself, this is quite possibly the most durable model of the 92 series. As far as I know, the gun is still made in Italy, and it is very possible that it is more popular in other countries than in the USA. How long do you think this pistol will be available since it is not as popular as other Beretta models, at least in the US market? Does anyone have a contact in the Factory itself to inform us about their development plan? Thanks.

ByAnyMeansNecessary
08-20-23, 08:33
I carried one on active duty for a while and to be honest I wasn't a big fan of them.

That was 30 years ago.

I love Beretta and have several of their products, but I'm just not a fan of the 92.

Maybe I should give it another try.

Rifleman_04
08-21-23, 08:55
The 92A1 is a great handgun but it gets lost and forgotten mainly because Beretta competes with itself.
I think the 92G-SD is THE most durable and overbuilt handgun ever and came out around the same time so it overshadows the A1.
Now with the M9A3 and release of the A4 they don’t advertise anything else.

Slater
08-21-23, 11:13
Nowadays the PX-4 is somewhat under the radar but it seems to be still chugging along.

08-21-23, 14:17
I carried one on active duty for a while and to be honest I wasn't a big fan of them.

That was 30 years ago.

I love Beretta and have several of their products, but I'm just not a fan of the 92.

Maybe I should give it another try.
What did you hate about it? There are several models out today that have meaningful improvements.

Nowadays the PX-4 is somewhat under the radar but it seems to be still chugging along. The PX4 is stellar. Perhaps the best plastic gun around.

To the OP’s point, the 92A1 was one of like 4 of Beretta’s somewhat early attempts to meaningfully improve on the 92. Its a high-quality gun, but overshadowed by other models. The thing that really messed it up among collectors of pasta guns, and those that compete with them or just shoot a lot, is that parts compatibility is poor. A perennial problem with 92 series guns is that each of them have some improved feature that you want, but they fail to combine those features into one model, and you can’t do it yourself because they’re not compatible. Until recently, that is.

Pappabear
08-21-23, 17:55
I own a couple of 92's and the G conversion was the game changer for me. Before that, I was deadly with the gun, for myself. I would fck that safety up something big time. But I am sure if I trained with the gun a great deal, I would overcome my ineptness.

PB

08-21-23, 18:35
I own a couple of 92's and the G conversion was the game changer for me. Before that, I was deadly with the gun, for myself. I would fck that safety up something big time. But I am sure if I trained with the gun a great deal, I would overcome my ineptness.

PB

A G conversion and D spring on a scalloped (M9A1, which isn’t a 92A1, at all) or a Vertec/A3/A4 frame*, and some slim grips get you like 90% to having a badass shooting gun. Shit, I competed for a year or two with a M9A1 with M9A3 grips on it, which looked ghetto as shit, and a G and D setup, with nail polish in the front sight, sharpie on the rear, and did ok. I hit the poor frame with a file and sandpaper in strategic spots and put grease on the right spots in the trigger system.

The last 10% is a RDS and/or a Langdon trigger job, or a TJIAB.

*If you wear a M or L glove, you want a M9A1 scalloped frame. If you wear a S glove or normally shoot a non-A1 1911, you want a Vertec/A3/A4. If you have big paws, you want a 92A1 or a regular model.

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-21-23, 22:24
The Beretta 92 is my favorite combat handgun to shoot. I TRIED not to like it. For years I assumed a lot of things about it. Then one day I saw a 92G-SD in the cabinet at Barrow's and from then on I can't quit them. LOL. Amazing handguns. CRAZY shootable, accurate and reliable. Highly underrated in the current plastic striker dominated world.

Slater
08-22-23, 08:15
They've been a Hollywood staple ever since "Lethal Weapon".

08-22-23, 08:26
The Beretta 92A1 is my favorite pistol that Beretta makes. Looking at the construction itself, this is quite possibly the most durable model of the 92 series. As far as I know, the gun is still made in Italy, and it is very possible that it is more popular in other countries than in the USA. How long do you think this pistol will be available since it is not as popular as other Beretta models, at least in the US market? Does anyone have a contact in the Factory itself to inform us about their development plan? Thanks.

I read this again… as far as durability goes, I think it incorporated lessons from trying to make .40 work, which was tried in a couple 90-series models, but ultimately is a failure. I actually have a 96A1, and its really nice, but when shooting and examining it, its very clearly a 9mm gun at heart.

And yes, these are Italian models. I don’t think it is likely to expand in the US market… other US Berettas have kind of nudged it out of the limelight.

Slater
08-22-23, 09:19
Well, at least the 92A1 seems to be more successful than the 90Two.

Ron3
08-22-23, 09:34
I haven't fired a 92A1 but I did have a 92A1 Compact. I found the grip a bad length for me as I could get half a pinky on it.

I enjoy my '23 '96A1 with 180 gr ammo. (950 fps) The 155's are simply hotter and will beat my hand / wrist up pretty quickly. (1160 fps)

The reason is those 155's and 165's are putting out near .357 mag energy. Yet that level of power is easier to handle from my 3 in 686. Weird.

I do prefer a rounded trigger guard to the squared one of the 96a1 but I can live with it.

Anyway, I put Beretta's G conversion in mine along with a Wilson Short Reach steel trigger, LOK slip grip panels, and now I have a RDS on it.

I installed the RDS using Trijicons plate that replaces the rear sight.

Pappabear
08-22-23, 11:45
The last 10% is a RDS and/or a Langdon trigger job, or a TJIAB.

I shot a guys 92 Langdon tactical full house gun and the trigger was absolutely insane. This kid was carrying the gun but I felt the trigger was light for my carry guns, but it was as good as most triggers can get.

PB