PDA

View Full Version : Forward Controls Design - Nautilus muzzle timing device

georgeib
08-17-23, 10:48
Just found this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW99Besozss

Looks like a pretty smart way to time a muzzle device.

https://www.revivaldefense.com/assets/images/nvtsrevival1.jpg

https://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.com/nvts-nautilus-variable-timing-system-.html

davidjinks
08-17-23, 17:49
Is this the cure for OCD when timing muzzle devices?!?!?

JediGuy
08-17-23, 19:35
Looks cool to me, and nice to see what Roger hinted about.

bamashooter
08-18-23, 07:33
Is this the cure for OCD when timing muzzle devices?!?!?

https://i.imgur.com/I7lk0qP.jpg?1

“A fool and his money are soon parted”. Admittedly, I appreciate the thought process. ▲9 induced?

Dutch110
08-18-23, 08:19
Dangit these are two weeks late. I just swapped out mounting systems on three rifles and had to time two of them. Would have rocked these for sure. I'll definitely give these a try next time around. I like the concept.

Duffy
08-19-23, 09:35
Thank you gents. Swiss CNC in Montgomery, TX, has been making products for us since 2018, now they're making for many big names in the industry. This is their invention and patent (pending), we worked with them closely on the development, so did others (Dead Air and SOLGW), our contribution to this project is user friendliness, ergonomics, user's instructions manual and video. Due to production constraints, we're the only one that distributes them now.

Once you learn how it works, it's very intuitive and fast. It takes about 2 or 3 minutes to complete a task that usually takes 10 to 15 minutes, we'll have a video showing NVTS's efficiency.

Many have asked if NVTS is suitable for mounting suppressors, it is. If it weren't for that application, NVTS wouldn't really have a reason to exist, since you can just use a crush washer for timing an A2 or other muzzle devices that aren't suppressor mounts.

NVTS has a tensile strength of 147,000 PSI, barrels and barrel extensions failed in testing before NVTS did when they were doing destructive testing, NVTS at that point was still reusable.

Please watch the video, it is really as easy as what the video shows :)

caporider
08-19-23, 10:37
That's pretty danged cool, especially since it's reusable - unlike crush washers - and replaces the boring process of building shim stacks. Any plans to do one in 5/8x24?

Duffy
08-19-23, 12:06
5/8x24 is about a month away from completion, then it has to be tested :)

prepare
08-19-23, 12:31
How was this even conceived of?

Vegas
08-19-23, 15:03
5/8x24 is about a month away from completion, then it has to be tested :)

This will be a godsend for me. Can’t tell you how much time I have wasted trying to get the shim combination right [emoji4]

Hulkstr8
08-19-23, 16:21
I just can't pay 25 bucks for a washer

Vegas
08-19-23, 20:39
I just can't pay 25 bucks for a washer

Fancy washer. Time is money but ymmv.

Duffy
08-20-23, 09:44
It's fast, easy and intuitive to use, it's not fast to make.

JediGuy
08-20-23, 11:27
I am a sucker and will certainly buy one for the next suppressor mount I install.

prepare
08-20-23, 11:49
A timing system for suppressor mounts is where these make the most sense. Especially if and when you occasionally make build changes given that it's a simple to use and a multi-use system.
It's quite innovative and I'm intrigued by peoples ability to take something like this from an idea/concept into a finished and refined product.

caporider
08-20-23, 14:54
A timing system for suppressor mounts is where these make the most sense. Especially if and when you occasionally make build changes given that it's a simple to use and a multi-use system.
It's quite innovative and I'm intrigued by peoples ability to take something like this from an idea/concept into a finished and refined product.

Also useful for precision rifle barrels that don't respond well to torquing down a timed muzzle device.

Duffy
08-20-23, 18:15
I asked Swiss CNC to make a video of how this idea came about, I won't spoil it for you but it's kind of funny :)

mark5pt56
08-21-23, 06:37
Pretty slick, I just installed a Keymo, dang those shims---

BufordTJustice
08-23-23, 10:43
Also useful for precision rifle barrels that don't respond well to torquing down a timed muzzle device.

100%

Actually, I haven't yet found an AR rifle barrel that didn't gain a little accuracy from limiting muzzle device torque to 30ft-lbs or less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biggy
08-23-23, 19:57
For my non- suppressed muzzle device I use and like these. https://jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPCW12B.750

georgeib
08-23-23, 20:01
I use these. https://jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPCW12B.750

Would those be safe to use in timing a suppressor mount?

I'm guessing not because they crush, and centered or not, I can see the heat from a suppressor messing with the temper of the washer, no?

Dutch110
08-24-23, 09:09
Would those be safe to use in timing a suppressor mount?

I'm guessing not because they crush, and centered or not, I can see the heat from a suppressor messing with the temper of the washer, no?

My take is no as well. Crush washers are the debil when it comes to alignment for all the reasons, right?

Ned Christiansen
08-24-23, 10:45
Ah geez..... Duffy.... you spent time and resources on this when you coulda just engraved skulls and the word "tactical" on some of your products? Drilled holes and milled slots in something?

THIS is the kind of thing the whole industry should be doing-- new ideas that have actual merit. Come up with a product that offers something real instead of putting the money into advertisements dripping with what I call tactical badassery, to promote the same old thing in a different paint scheme or with more holes and slots.

I don't think this necessarily renders previous methods obsolete, but damn..... good thinkin' there, sir.

BobinNC
08-24-23, 17:27
This looks like a very slick and useable option. Up till now I've used jam nuts to time muzzle devices. This appears to be better. Thanks

Duffy
08-24-23, 18:41
Ned, I'll be in touch to buy another 1K of OCKS shortly ;)

NVTS doesn't make conventional shims and washers obsolete, it's a far more intuitive and convenient way of doing it, for that reason (and that not everyone wants to spend $25 on a washer, though Precision Armament washers already cost that), we won't stop carrying less expensive options.

Swiss CNC in Montgomery, TX invented and patented it, they call it Smart Washer, NVTS is our designation.

I'll engrave some crap with Greek helmets and skulls just for you :D :p

BufordTJustice
08-28-23, 13:19
Ned, I'll be in touch to buy another 1K of OCKS shortly ;)

NVTS doesn't make conventional shims and washers obsolete, it's a far more intuitive and convenient way of doing it, for that reason (and that not everyone wants to spend $25 on a washer, though Precision Armament washers already cost that), we won't stop carrying less expensive options.

Swiss CNC in Montgomery, TX invented and patented it, they call it Smart Washer, NVTS is our designation.

I'll engrave some crap with Greek helmets and skulls just for you :D :p

Solid work. Just ordered a SOTAR NP3 cam pin for my suppressed SBR this morning. Keep up the great work!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BufordTJustice
08-28-23, 16:10
In stock for $25. That's right there with the current best offering (PA AccuWasher). Always great to have another solid option.

https://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.com/nvts-nautilus-variable-timing-system-.html

Disciple
08-29-23, 11:40
Just ordered a SOTAR NP3 cam pin for my suppressed SBR this morning.

Are you moving away from the V Seven cam pins?

BufordTJustice
08-29-23, 11:42
Are you moving away from the V Seven cam pins?

No...still using in all my non KAC guns *except* for the full LMT EBCG...which is currently using the std LMT cam pin. I already have lost track of orientation (FML), so the SOTAR pin, with tons of positive user accounts, seemed like a great thing to try.

I have every confidence I will like it just as much as my V7's (which have been fantastic, btw).

Disciple
08-29-23, 15:17
I have every confidence I will like it just as much as my V7's (which have been fantastic, btw).

Please post a review when you get it. I know you take steps to get the smoothest cycling possible and I wonder if NP3 alone can match the rounded corners in that regard.

BufordTJustice
08-29-23, 15:20
Please post a review when you get it. I know you take steps to get the smoothest cycling possible and I wonder if NP3 alone can match the rounded corners in that regard.

I will.

I honestly don't know if this small friction point will be feel-able, to be honest.

I still burnish the rail pads on my LMT E-Carriers after running a few hundred rounds through them. Just a felt polishing wheel (like one would use for jewelry) on low speed until it starts to feel smooth with my finger nail. That helps more than anything.

Have also seen noticeable decreases in friction in moving to UBR2 stocks over my Vltor A5 tubes. Just more of a ball-bearing feel. Doesn't mean anything in my mind, but I like the feel a little better.

BufordTJustice
08-29-23, 16:49
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230829/ddb8c67076ae6b80492f245df1a8a346.jpg

Pretty effing immaculate if you ask me. Identical in dimensions to my LMT cam pin. Feels the same.

I'm very pleased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe Mamma
08-30-23, 12:07
BufordTJustice and Disciple, I don't know if you know this. But Damage Industries sells nickel Teflon (PTFE) cam pins and nitrided cam pins for $4.95 (their regular price). They call their nickel Teflon parts "NiCoTef", and their nitrided parts are called "black oxide." They are kind of hard to find on their website so here is a link, plus a link to the Teflon cam pins in a kit with Teflon coated detents for a few dollars more ($7.95 sale price):

https://damageindustriesllc.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=308&search=cam+pin

https://damageindustriesllc.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=62_81_92&product_id=2535

But one significant difference from cam pins from the SOTAR and FCD is the ones from Damage Industries do not have any type of mark to show direction (if it matters to you).

I have no ties to the Damage Industries, but I have used their NiCoTef cam pins and like them. The coating has held up fine for me with a decent number of rounds.

I like the FCD muzzle timing device, but don't see myself getting it any time soon. But I will follow this thread with interest. It's great to see real innovation and a quality product.

Joe Mamma

JediGuy
08-30-23, 13:27
…but I have used their NiCoTef cam pins and like them…

If you have a caliper and a newer cam pin, could you take some diameter measurements?