PDA

View Full Version : 11.5” Upper Advice

arptsprt
08-19-23, 09:59
I did search, I really did, but nothing really popped.

I’m coming back to the world of ARs after a bit of a sabbatical.

I want a new 11.5” upper for my SBR lower.

I’d prefer a BCM BFH with the their QRF rail or the MCMR second but both are unobtanium of course. I guess these have been in short supply and hard to get and I don’t want to wait.

I can get a SOLGW 11.5 with their EX03 rail.

I don’t know much about SOLGW other than what I’ve read and they appear to be solid.

What are the thoughts on BCM vs SOLGW? I can wait for the BCM I suppose but the SOLGW is piquing my interest.

Any other more “top tier” I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

georgeib
08-19-23, 10:35
I have a pair of excellent Sionics 11.5" uppers, and I'd buy another in a heartbeat. I also have BCM and SOLGW stuff, so I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. My personal order of preference would be Sionics, SOLGW, and then BCM. FWIW.

arptsprt
08-19-23, 11:15
I have a pair of excellent Sionics 11.5" uppers, and I'd buy another in a heartbeat. I also have BCM and SOLGW stuff, so I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. My personal order of preference would be Sionics, SOLGW, and then BCM. FWIW.

Thanks. Did you get the extreme reduced gas port or are you running a can with their suppressor only gas port?

Wake27
08-19-23, 11:33
Geissele is also pretty well liked but they’re more expensive. BCM has been restocking fairly well since starting their BCG sale but I have seen many shorties. Those seem to have become far less popular since the brace nonsense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

georgeib
08-19-23, 11:59
Thanks. Did you get the extreme reduced gas port or are you running a can with their suppressor only gas port?

Both of mine are a couple years old. Back then they were the "standard" gas port. I don't remember what the actual sizes are. On one of my rifles I do have a Black River Tactical reduced port gas tube though, and that one has a direct threaded dedicated suppressor.

Clint
08-19-23, 12:24
Take a look at one of our 11.5" OPTIMUM uppers.

https://blackrivertactical.com/WP/BRT-11-5-OPTIMUM-Upper-Receiver-Group-p139143327

They can be had with either Hammer Forged or Standard Rifled barrels that are gassed for 50/50 suppressed use right out of the box.

Gas block pinning is optional.

DoubleW
08-19-23, 13:21
https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-bfh-11-5-carbine-upper-receiver-group-w-mcmr-7-handguard/

Not unobtanium. Took me about 8 seconds to find that. You m sure if I tried I could easily find exactly what I wanted.

gaijin
08-19-23, 13:52
I have BCM, Sionics and Geissle 11.5’s. All have proven accurate/reliable.
I bought a Noveske Afghan barrel/BCM upper/Mlok 11.5 upper off equipment exchange that has been a favorite.
A LOT of choices out there.

08-19-23, 14:12
I did search, I really did, but nothing really popped.

I’m coming back to the world of ARs after a bit of a sabbatical.

I want a new 11.5” upper for my SBR lower.

I’d prefer a BCM BFH with the their QRF rail or the MCMR second but both are unobtanium of course. I guess these have been in short supply and hard to get and I don’t want to wait.

I can get a SOLGW 11.5 with their EX03 rail.

I don’t know much about SOLGW other than what I’ve read and they appear to be solid.

What are the thoughts on BCM vs SOLGW? I can wait for the BCM I suppose but the SOLGW is piquing my interest.

Any other more “top tier” I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance.

Since you want a quad rail, consider Daniel Defense.

C-grunt
08-19-23, 15:10
I have a BCM MCMR 11.5 with a regular barrel. It's an awesome upper. Ive also been running a DDM4V7s work gun for about a year now. Ive been highly impressed with it as well. Id look at DD.

Stickman
08-19-23, 17:22
https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-bfh-11-5-carbine-upper-receiver-group-w-bcm-qrf-7-handguard-nfa/

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-16115g8ghe/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/1924/6074/BCM-URG-11-BFH-QRF-7-2__48273.1571676138.jpg?c=1

Stickman
08-19-23, 17:24
https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-mk2-standard-11-5-carbine-upper-receiver-group-w-qrf-10-handguard/

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-16115g8ghe/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/2958/9018/STCK4973-3_1__60207.1575735387.jpg?c=1

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-16115g8ghe/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/2958/9021/STCK4977-3_1__60227.1685622639.jpg?c=1

arptsprt
08-19-23, 17:37
https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcm-bfh-11-5-carbine-upper-receiver-group-w-bcm-qrf-7-handguard-nfa/

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-16115g8ghe/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/1924/6074/BCM-URG-11-BFH-QRF-7-2__48273.1571676138.jpg?c=1

Thanks Stick.

Yeah, my bad. I wasn’t clear in my original post that I’m seeking an 11.5” full rail with no FSB.

That said, the second link you sent for the BCM Mk2 11.5 shows OOS on my end. I’m also on the email notify list when this and others come back in stock. Am I missing something?

arptsprt
08-19-23, 17:49
I have a BCM MCMR 11.5 with a regular barrel. It's an awesome upper. Ive also been running a DDM4V7s work gun for about a year now. Ive been highly impressed with it as well. Id look at DD.

I forgot DD made the 11.5” with the RIS. I see they have an mlok version now too. I have a factory DD MK18 10.3” SBR that’s been through the ringer and now is my dedicated night gun. It’s been good.

Good options, all. Thanks for all the input. It’s been a fews years since I’ve dabbled like this.

08-19-23, 19:12
I forgot DD made the 11.5” with the RIS. I see they have an mlok version now too. I have a factory DD MK18 10.3” SBR that’s been through the ringer and now is my dedicated night gun. It’s been good.

Good options, all. Thanks for all the input. It’s been a fews years since I’ve dabbled like this.

The RIS is good, but the DDM4 rail is even better, in my opinion. Its one of the thinnest and lightest quads, but still a bit thiccer than a MCMR, and enough material to not overheat so fast. The LaRue quad is also really good, but it doesn’t sound like you’re trying to assemble your own.

JediGuy
08-20-23, 05:00
Pick whatever handguard you want, buy it (used is alway an option), and send it to @Clint to assemble with one of their barrels.
The upper BRT put together for me has become my favorite to shoot. I have an 11.5” EXC suppressed-only barrel that lives with a direct thread suppressor.

Really a win-win for you. Good barrel, exactly whatever handguard you want.

CPM
08-20-23, 12:21
Given the pedigree and quality, it’s insane to me that Centurion is so rarely mentioned. Here’s an 11.5 in stock. FWIW, most Centurion products are regularly available now.

https://centurionarms.com/uppers-lowers/cm4-complete-11-5in-chf-fbi-upper-with-low-pro-gas-block/

Dutch110
08-20-23, 14:23
I just went through a few months of rebarreling / rebuilding my 13.7 into a 14.5 and then my 11.5 and 10.5.

My thoughts and they are worth exactly what you are paying me for them.

Centurion rails and barrels are too often overlooked. I did the 14.5 with a Centurion barrel and quad rail using the standard GI barrel nut. Had them pin the gasblock. This is by far my most favorite set up at the moment. If they would have had their FBI profile in 11.5 in stock I would have done that do but they didn't so....

11.5 is a BCM stripped upper and 10 inch QRF paired with a Geissele 11.5 that I just got back from the range for its first outing. It's ok. Love the upper and handguard. And the barrel is gassed well and functions fine with and without the can. I got the barrel on sale so I don't have buyers remorse, but in comparing it to the Centurion for its first outing, I should have waited for the Centurion. Nothing wrong at all with the G barrel. I just think the Centurion is built better.

10.5 - Colt surplus barrel that was a 10.5 Crane chop with FSP. Put it in a stripped Centurion upper and using a Centurion quad and Centurion BCG. I love this upper. When this barrel gets shot out I will replace it with a, you guessed it, Centurion FSP barrel. But this surplus Colt barrel surprised me. I figured it was a crap shoot whether it was gassed correctly or had been shot out. It is and it wasn't. The only reason I wouldn't use another surplus barrel is because I don't think I could get lightning to strike twice.

So what am I saying? I think you should look long and hard at the Centurion upper. You won't go wrong with the BCM either. And the Sionics that others have mentioned as well. There really is no bad choice in that group. I just personally like Centurion.

arptsprt
08-20-23, 16:40
Given the pedigree and quality, it’s insane to me that Centurion is so rarely mentioned. Here’s an 11.5 in stock. FWIW, most Centurion products are regularly available now.

https://centurionarms.com/uppers-lowers/cm4-complete-11-5in-chf-fbi-upper-with-low-pro-gas-block/

I didn’t even think about Centurion. I have that rail on a factory Colt 6960 and agree it’s nice. Good lord there are a lot of choices! I was lazy in my initial search.

georgeib
08-20-23, 21:12
In no particular order:

*BCM
*Centurion
*DD
*Geissele
*Knights
*LMT
*Noveske
*Sionics
*SOLGW

arptsprt
08-20-23, 22:19
In no particular order:

*BCM
*Centurion
*DD
*Geissele
*Knights
*LMT
*Noveske
*Sionics
*SOLGW

Thanks, all. I got a sweet deal on a Del-Ton so I went with that…

Kidding.

Seriously, a good who’s who of quality kit. Even though a few years have passed, some things haven’t changed.

Patrin
08-31-23, 00:12
My pair of BCM 11.5 uppers dated 2018/2019 manufacture never could run 100% reliable. Both were over gassed and I dumped them. Perhaps it's been sorted out, but beware.

If I wanted a sure thing in a 11.5, it would be a Colt.

Wake27
08-31-23, 06:45
My pair of BCM 11.5 uppers dated 2018/2019 manufacture never could run 100% reliable. Both were over gassed and I dumped them. Perhaps it's been sorted out, but beware.

Even after being sent back to BCM?

Pappabear
08-31-23, 10:01

I have one and it runs quite well.
I like
LMT
Colt
KAC…. Yea the usual suspects

PB

jackblack73
08-31-23, 14:15

That’s interesting. My 11.5” BCM is from 2015 and it doesn’t seem over gassed. Maybe it’s because I use a .30 caliber can.

Stickman
08-31-23, 14:29

How were they unreliable? Seems odd that you would have an issue, especially with two of them.

czgunner
08-31-23, 15:09
I don't k ow of they are still made, but I have an 11.5" reduced gas port from Scionics. I love it. A few thousand rounds through it and my main training Carbine.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

indianalex01
08-31-23, 17:06
I am surprised that only one person recommended Colt. Colt 11.5 gassed at .70. BCM and other are larger. I’d take a colt all day over BCM. The most proven as well.

Wake27
08-31-23, 18:46
I am surprised that only one person recommended Colt. Colt 10.3 gassed at .70. BCM and other are larger. I’d take a colt all day over BCM. The most proven as well.

This thread is about 11.5s and BCM doesn’t make a 10.X so I’m not really sure what point you’re trying to make other than Colts are proven. Though it may be debatable as to how proven CS others since it’s not like they have a major mil contract in a short barrel.

Stickman
08-31-23, 19:20
My duty carbine is an 11.5 from Centurion Arms, early model, never any issues with it.

indianalex01
08-31-23, 23:38
This thread is about 11.5s and BCM doesn’t make a 10.X so I’m not really sure what point you’re trying to make other than Colts are proven. Though it may be debatable as to how proven CS others since it’s not like they have a major mil contract in a short barrel.

Sorry, I meant 11.5. Colt does have 2 contracts for shorties with different countries fyi. One is for the M5 commando and one is for the 6933. Both 11.5’s. Hey you learned something new today. Colts QC is fine. The most combat proven of all others combined. FN is next

Patrin
09-01-23, 00:43
One 11.5 went back to BCM. They ran it full-auto, sent it back recommending an H3 buffer and an o-ring. The FTRB’s continued and I ditched both. Did a thread on it back in 2021.

DoubleW
09-01-23, 04:07
Get a Centurion. They offer several barrel profiles and multiple rail options. Their CHF barrels are made by FN. I’ve been having some 11.5 woes myself lately and just ordered an 11.5 FBI, CHF, with 10” C4 quad rail.

1986s4
09-04-23, 07:31
This thread came along at the right time for me. I am also looking into an 11.5 upper once my tax stamp is approved. So, I am looking at Colt, Centurion, BCM, Ballistic Advantage and Geissele at the high end. Brownells sells a stripped 6933 upper on the lower end along with BA. I am a Colt fan but I also have parts and barrel from the others mentioned. I have a dedicated 16" mid-gas iron sight upper with a BA barrel. It is over-gassed but it has always impressed me with it's accuracy. Is the BA worth looking into? Which would have the best chance of being gassed properly unsuppressed? If you could only have one which would it be?
Thank you

DoubleW
09-04-23, 07:58
Save yourself heartache and get a Colt, BCM or Centurion. I have a Centurion CHF 11.5 on the way.

1986s4
09-04-23, 08:10
Save yourself heartache and get a Colt, BCM or Centurion. I have a Centurion CHF 11.5 on the way.

I'm looking hard at the Colt and Centurion FBI profile uppers.

DoubleW
09-04-23, 11:07
And I wouldn’t consider anything Geissele does as “the high end”. They’re certainly capable of producing a nice, well put together, hard use upper. The odds of you getting one from them definitely aren’t 100%.

Stickman
09-04-23, 11:56
One 11.5 went back to BCM. They ran it full-auto, sent it back recommending an H3 buffer and an o-ring. The FTRB’s continued and I ditched both. Did a thread on it back in 2021.

Thank you for the reply. All too often people are willing to make a complaint, and then never give any actual info and simply ghost the thread when asked.

Stickman
09-04-23, 12:00

I already mentioned that I have a Centurion Arms 11.5 upper that was used as my duty weapon (dept later killed off the POW program). However, I also have the Centurion FBI upper 11.5, which is also a great shooter. I thought that was the same one that NYPD ESU was using, but I could be getting that mixed up.

1986s4
09-04-23, 12:20
I already mentioned that I have a Centurion Arms 11.5 upper that was used as my duty weapon (dept later killed off the POW program). However, I also have the Centurion FBI upper 11.5, which is also a great shooter. I thought that was the same one that NYPD ESU was using, but I could be getting that mixed up.

If one isn't attaching anything, or at least, nothing more than a flashlight, does free floating an already stiff FBI profile barrel make a difference in accuracy? I ask because I have several uppers with rails but nothing attached as yet. I may get a flash light but that's about it.

Wake27
09-04-23, 12:39
This thread came along at the right time for me. I am also looking into an 11.5 upper once my tax stamp is approved. So, I am looking at Colt, Centurion, BCM, Ballistic Advantage and Geissele at the high end. Brownells sells a stripped 6933 upper on the lower end along with BA. I am a Colt fan but I also have parts and barrel from the others mentioned. I have a dedicated 16" mid-gas iron sight upper with a BA barrel. It is over-gassed but it has always impressed me with it's accuracy. Is the BA worth looking into? Which would have the best chance of being gassed properly unsuppressed? If you could only have one which would it be?
Thank you

If you're not tied to 11.5, I have been trying to sell a solid 10.5 on here for a while with a variety of options that I can work out. FWIW, I can't really tell a difference in shooting it side by side with my 11.5 Geissele.

Of the stuff you mentioned, I've always been tempted to try CA but I only like 7 sided MLOK rails so I'd lean Geissele. Colt's 11.5s were reportedly overgassed as of a few years ago, unless it was their FBI barrel. But that's not offered in a complete upper.

arptsprt
09-04-23, 20:27
Thank you for all the input.

Not sure if you’re interested or not, but after your input and research, I actually went with a Centurion 12.5” LW Mlok CrMov complete upper with BCG.

Centurion is having a Labor Day special of 20% off their CrMov complete uppers (no 11.5” available in that line) but it was too good of deal to pass up.

I had a 12.5” in the past that I sold that I liked and regretted selling. As I mentioned I have a couple Colt factory LE6960s with the Centurion rails that I really like so this will be a nice shorty complement. For my purpose, I think this will suite me well.

Thanks again.

arptsprt
09-04-23, 20:44

FWIW, I had a similar issue with a BCM complete upper sometime ago. IraqGunz (RIP) helped me troubleshoot with BCM. It was a learning lesson for all of us to figure out.

Short version, it was a malfunctioning beast. Back to BCM multiple times for testing, including full auto, and it always worked. I’d get it back and continued issues. I got the bright idea to swap out just the bolt in the carrier and, bingo, it worked. I documented everything including videos to BCM and they ended up sending me a new replacement BCG and it worked perfect from that point forward. IIRC, we believe it was very rare tolerance stacking issue with the bolt. BCM was really great with the situation and I will always be a customer.

DoubleW
09-06-23, 07:03
YMMV, but Centurion lists a lead time of 2-4 weeks for in stock uppers as they assemble rail & muzzle device choice with the option of Cerakote, but mine shipped in 2 days. Can’t beat that!

arptsprt
09-06-23, 09:09
YMMV, but Centurion lists a lead time of 2-4 weeks for in stock uppers as they assemble rail & muzzle device choice with the option of Cerakote, but mine shipped in 2 days. Can’t beat that!

Mine shipped in one day! Ordered on the 4th, shipped yesterday…

BufordTJustice
09-06-23, 19:57
I built my first SBR upper around a BCM forged upper, BCM KMR-A, SLR Ti AGB, and Sionics 11.5" RGP barrel from their first run.

Several thousand rounds through it with a SiCo Specwar 556 and LMT E-BCG. It's intensely accurate, 100% reliable, and I get zero gas to face. Very smooth shooter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jim D
09-22-23, 19:51
With us (SOLGW) closing out the M76 wedgelock rails, there are likely some smoking deals to be had on 11.5” uppers… all still covered by our lifetime warranty (covering wear and tear, even).

Disciple
09-23-23, 00:19
With us (SOLGW) closing out the M76 wedgelock rails, there are likely some smoking deals to be had on 11.5” uppers… all still covered by our lifetime warranty (covering wear and tear, even).

If you are with SOLGW shouldn't that be disclosed in your signature block?

Wolfpack
11-04-23, 14:17
DWS MK5 upper is a solid choice when they are back in stock.
https://www.dynamicweaponsystems.com/product-page/11-5-mk5-upper-assembly-black