PDA

View Full Version : Question about this Centurion's barrel chrome lining

Soloman2
08-24-23, 18:20
Good evening. I'm new to the forum but not the AR platform. I recently bought a new CHF barrel from Centurion. Looking at the muzzle, the chrome lining looks way different than my other chrome lined barrels. Almost like it's cut down.

In the pic I was wondering where the chrome lining ends, at point A or B? It's hard to tell because this chrome looks almost dull or grey but then you see a shiny ring at point B.

Just was curious as to what others may think. I appreciate any help in advance!

GH41
08-24-23, 18:37
Does it shoot??

Soloman2
08-24-23, 19:19
Does it shoot??

I just got it and haven't shot it yet.

MegademiC
08-24-23, 19:25
What length?
Years ago, their 14.5s were cut down 16s

Mine shoots great

Soloman2
08-24-23, 19:26
What length?

It's their 14.5" Midweight CHF barrel.

lysander
08-24-23, 20:46
Good evening. I'm new to the forum but not the AR platform. I recently bought a new CHF barrel from Centurion. Looking at the muzzle, the chrome lining looks way different than my other chrome lined barrels. Almost like it's cut down.

In the pic I was wondering where the chrome lining ends, at point A or B? It's hard to tell because this chrome looks almost dull or grey but then you see a shiny ring at point B.

Just was curious as to what others may think. I appreciate any help in advance!

Per the print, the chromium plating can end anywhere between A and B. The plating will fade out, there will not be a hard demarcation line.

Soloman2
08-24-23, 22:56
Per the print, the chromium plating can end anywhere between A and B. The plating will fade out, there will not be a hard demarcation line.

Thank you for that information. One more question, I've always seen shiny chrome in bores and chambers(like my DD, LMT and Bushmaster), is there a reason this chome appears much duller? Just a duller type of chome plating? It just doesn't look like the chrome lining I'm used to seeing typically.

vicious_cb
08-25-23, 05:18
Thank you for that information. One more question, I've always seen shiny chrome in bores and chambers(like my DD, LMT and Bushmaster), is there a reason this chome appears much duller? Just a duller type of chome plating? It just doesn't look like the chrome lining I'm used to seeing typically.

That dull layer is Monty's secret sauce that he applies to every barrel. If you know, you know lighter stronger no compromise...or is that another company. Too many CHF barrel offerings these days I get them confused :rolleyes:.

Soloman2
08-25-23, 05:31
That dull layer is Monty's secret sauce that he applies to every barrel. If you know, you know lighter stronger no compromise...or is that another company. Too many CHF barrel offerings these days I get them confused :rolleyes:.

Good to know. Thanks for the info!

Dutch110
08-25-23, 09:23
I just put one of their 14.5 barrels in one of my rifles. Probably the most accurate AR I have in the safe right now. And gassed perfectly. Add the pinned and tabbed gas block on top of it and its bomb proof. I don't think I would worry too much about what you are seeing. And if you do have questions, give them a call. They are super helpful and friendly and will absolutely take care of you.

Stickman
08-25-23, 11:22
I just installed one of the old cut down 14.5" barrels a few days ago. When cut down properly, you won't find a difference, or possibly, you may find a cut down barrel shoots even better depending on how the front end was looking.

This thread comes across with a mix of "I think I might have a problem" combined with genuinely looking for subject info. In my experience, cut down barrels are only showing the smallest of chrome glints. The chrome is harder to notice than it is in their non-cut siblings.

There are a lot of companies that buy barrel blanks and finish them in house. This way they retain a larger amount of QC, and decrease costs by handling some of the work themselves.

MegademiC
08-25-23, 11:27
It's their 14.5" Midweight CHF barrel.

They are cut down. I was editing as you quoted me.