PDA

View Full Version : My Glock 17 Gen 4 & Johnny Glocks Combat Trigger - A Review

Patrin
08-26-23, 16:42
I'll get a pic up some time of the gun, ya know, for the records...but it's a stock Glock 17 Gen 4 w/ night sights save a fitted Wilson Combat barrel (fitted by WC). The barrel is superb and the accuracy difference from stock is noticeable, evident, absolutely worth the investment.

That said, after running the gun w/ the stock trigger for a minute, the next logical step was to upgrade it. I usually run a pair of VP9SK's w/ 10-8 sights and triggers smoothed up by Bruce Gray. I know what a good striker trigger is. After alot of research, I settled on the JG-CT to try, as I wanted to stay as close to factory, but with grit taken out, just like my HK's.

I went with the JG striker as well that comes with the orange spring (3.5# pull) and the yellow spring (4.5# pull), setting me back 295$ shipped.

The trigger - the break is not glass rod as described in the literature, but it is an improvement. After adjusting the pre-travel to my liking (1/2 turn on set screw per directions) it was closish to factory, which I like. The pre-travel as it comes from JG is to short, and for my purposes, interferes with the expectation my trigger finger has had for a long time to 'prep the trigger' to the wall.

On the range, the orange and yellow springs are no-go's. They are not reliable and light strikes were common. In the JG literature is states either spring will provide "100%" ignition. Now, I'll qualify that it was with Armscor brass ammo, but I don't care, the springs are either 100% or they're not. Contacting JG and the reply was that "it was the ammo" - yeah ok.

The factory striker spring went back in and it has functioned with 3 types of ammo no problem, as expected; Federal, Winchester, Armscor. I expect the reliability to remain as it always has been - perfect.

Is the trigger an improvement? Yes, it is smoother. Is the trigger weight reduced? No, and not if you want 100% reliability, so the factory striker stays with a factory weight pull. Would I purchase again? Yes, but not with the upgraded striker and go with the trigger only @ 200$.

Final verdict is I think the trigger is not worth it @ 200$, maybe 150ish, nonetheless, the smoothness of it warrants consideration. Know that what is advertised in the literature of the trigger is not accurate and it's something JG should adjust. He has my findings in an email exchange and can do so.

McCannicalBob
08-30-23, 21:40
Good review. I appreciate your honesty, as that can be hard when you feel like you got screwed. And I have been screwed several times searching for the ultimate Glock trigger. The crazy thing with Glocks, or Glock parts, is no two are exactly the same. One time I thought I found the holy grail, the perfect aftermarket trigger. It was a glocktriggers.com trigger. It was perfect in my G35. I bought others for another G35, a G22, a G23, and I don’t know what others. All were decent, but none like the first, and none were the same as any of the others. Weird.

ndmiller
08-31-23, 07:26
I gave up on my search for a "good" trigger for my Glocks as it seems they are constantly inconsistent. It feels like the OEM and aftermarket ones have a large range where they consistently work reliably and outside that range they don't. I can get close to a good trigger, but not close enough for the money spent and when I shoot another pistol with an excellent trigger I am disappointed again. This is not to say there aren't perfectly fine aftermarket triggers, just the design makes it harder and more expensive than other pistol platforms.

Since I gave up, I just train with and shoot my glocks more and have never been happier. That Gen5 Glock upgraded trigger designed differently makes me wonder, but I'd have to switch over to all Gen5's which would cost $$$.

Patrin
09-01-23, 00:39
Yeah, I feel that. This is my one, and the only, Glock I’m going to own. I’ll stay where I’m at trigger wise on it, no sense chasing it with money.

P2Vaircrewman
09-01-23, 07:42
Two bit polish job, Glock minus connector, 6# trigger spring and Overlook Precision Polydat flat trigger shoe and go shoot. Total less than $60. At least it gets the pull weight to what Glock advertises it to be maybe a half pound less. Want a good trigger buy a 1911 or VP9.

Patrin
09-01-23, 07:47
Uh, yeah mate, I own 2 VP9’s.