PDA

View Full Version : New Rainier quad rail

Hammer_Man
08-30-23, 00:10
Looks like Rainier Arms is marketing a new full float 1913 rail. I came across these while planning my next SPR style build, so I thought I’d share. Price seems pretty decent.

https://www.rainierarms.com/rainier-industries-pro-series-mk2-quad-rail-ar-15-handguard-black/

JediGuy
08-30-23, 05:05
11.75” = Someone has been eyeballing @Stickman’s GL/SSC for ten years and finally got approval

08-30-23, 05:15
11.75” = Someone has been eyeballing @Stickman’s GL/SSC for ten years and finally got approval

I’m going to get my hooves on one of those.

Dutch110
08-30-23, 08:42
Could be wrong but that looks CMT made. Which is definitely not a bad thing.

markm
08-30-23, 08:56
Praise the return of the pic rail!! That is a very nice looking rail too. Good profile - no I Beam nonsense. I'm only doing 7.0 rails anymore, but this is good looking for sure.

Uncas47
08-30-23, 12:45
Praise the return of the pic rail!! That is a very nice looking rail too. Good profile - no I Beam nonsense. I'm only doing 7.0 rails anymore, but this is good looking for sure.
Amen.

Stickman
08-30-23, 14:15
I’m going to get my hooves on one of those.

You and me both, I need some more GL/SSC in my life!!!

Disciple
08-30-23, 14:55
I'm only doing 7.0 rails anymore, but this is good looking for sure.

Short arms?

Those Rainier rails seem really heavy. DDM4 12" is 14.1oz with nut. Centurion 12" pocket rail is 15.3oz with nut.

9.55" - 16.1 oz
11.75" - 19.2 oz
12.55" - 20.2 oz

markm
08-30-23, 15:00
Short arms?

FSBs only going forward. I'm keeping the long rails I do have, but it's back to reality for all future carbines.

Disciple
08-30-23, 15:01
FSBs only going forward. I'm keeping the long rails I do have, but it's back to reality for all future carbines.

Why not pocket rails?

Dutch110
08-30-23, 16:04

Noticing more people coming out with quads and more people making chrome BCGs. What's old is new again. I dig it.

Uncas47
08-30-23, 16:43
Why not pocket rails?
For me, I don't need the extra rail space, just a white light which I can do fine on a 7 inch rail. And yeah, short arms too. Cut down carry handle and FSB with a red dot. Won't work for everyone I know.

Diamondback
08-30-23, 16:44
And of course, Pedo Bob and his legislative enablers say "You can't have that in WA even s a repair part."

Tell 'em once WA's back in business for AR's and they come up with a "pocket" model for FSB's they have an interested party, though then it becomes a debate between them and Monty.

markm
08-30-23, 17:57
Why not pocket rails?

You mean the cut out style rails? If so, there's none I can live with. Centurion comes close, but has I beam profile.

The DD Mk18 FSB RIS II would be my dream rail if it were obtainable.

Diamondback
08-30-23, 17:58
You mean the cut out style rails? If so, there's none I can live with. Centurion comes close, but has I beam profile.

The DD Mk18 FSB RIS II would be my dream rail if it were obtainable.

Talk to Chop Boss. :)

Hammer_Man
08-30-23, 18:06
Noticing more people coming out with quads and more people making chrome BCGs. What's old is new again. I dig it.

Quad rails are still my go to for a serious use weapon, due to the inherent robust nature of their design. It’s good to see more options coming to the market, given that KAC has discontinued all of their legacy products.

Disciple
08-30-23, 19:53

My Lite Rail is the king of I-beam profile but I am used to it now.

Dutch110
08-31-23, 07:41
Quad rails are still my go to for a serious use weapon, due to the inherent robust nature of their design. It’s good to see more options coming to the market, given that KAC has discontinued all of their legacy products.

I started with quads 15(?) years ago and migrated over to MLOK because all the cool kids were doing it. Recently have been migrating back to quads. They just fit my hands better. Same thing with BCGs. First one was a YNM. Now that Monty has come out with his sand cutter I can't wait to try one of those out. Kind of amusing to me that I am right back where I started lol

markm
08-31-23, 08:57
Talk to Chop Boss. :)

I seent his Instergr00m. The cost of DDs are so expensive by themselves... to add the customization makes the whole idea absurd. This Rainier rail, however, would make a good custom platform and less that half the price of a RIS II.

Stickman
08-31-23, 10:30
I seent his Instergr00m. The cost of DDs are so expensive by themselves... to add the customization makes the whole idea absurd. This Rainier rail, however, would make a good custom platform and less that half the price of a RIS II.

If there seems to be enough interest, I can talk to John Hwang and see if he would do at a group buy...

Hammer_Man
08-31-23, 11:08
I started with quads 15(?) years ago and migrated over to MLOK because all the cool kids were doing it. Recently have been migrating back to quads. They just fit my hands better. Same thing with BCGs. First one was a YNM. Now that Monty has come out with his sand cutter I can't wait to try one of those out. Kind of amusing to me that I am right back where I started lol

I agree. It’s interesting to see how things have come full circle, especially after all the hype surrounding Nickel Boron and Keymod.

markm
08-31-23, 11:15
If there seems to be enough interest, I can talk to John Hwang and see if he would do at a group buy...

If the rail is one piece, it my be tricky since you have to be able to drive the FSB taper pins after the rail is in place.

Disciple
08-31-23, 11:53
Is no one going to comment on the listed weights? Why are these so much heavier than a 15 year old six-bolt DD Lite Rail with a steel barrel nut and a tall I-beam profile?

08-31-23, 12:23
Is no one going to comment on the listed weights? Why are these so much heavier than a 15 year old six-bolt DD Lite Rail with a steel barrel nut and a tall I-beam profile?

I tried to reply to your pm the other day, and typed some stuff out, but the page shit the bed and I lost it. I’m not ignoring you, just annoyed at the pm system.

Those published weights are definitely heavy in comparison to other quads, including the RIS II, DDM4, and Larue. I kinda wonder if they included packaging in the weight, or something like that.

A Larue 12” weighs 17.1 oz, with all hardware, a layer of paint, and some grease, on my chinesey food scale.

markm
08-31-23, 12:32
I recently weighed the B&T 7.0 quad rail at 10.1 oz. (my only reference)... so yeah they're a little heavier, but if that translates into strength, I can live with it.

Disciple
08-31-23, 12:34
I tried to reply to your pm the other day, and typed some stuff out, but the page shit the bed and I lost it. I’m not ignoring you, just annoyed at the pm system.

Thank you. I understand.

Stickman
08-31-23, 14:27

No idea about why its a heavy rail. For a long time, people clamored for the lightest weight possible, then when ultra light weight rails appeared, they complained the rail was too flexible. My guess, and its only a guess, is that RA decided to make a quad rail for lasers and people who were demanding a ultra rigid rail.

ETA- Until someone gets one in hand, its hard to say all that much.

Disciple
08-31-23, 14:33
No idea about why its a heavy rail. For a long time, people clamored for the lightest weight possible, then when ultra light weight rails appeared, they complained the rail was too flexible.

Do those complaints apply to something like the original DD Lite Rail? I never thought of it as flexible but I also don't have a lot to compare it with and I've never used a laser on it.

Stickman
08-31-23, 14:56
Do those complaints apply to something like the original DD Lite Rail?

The LITE rails are out of manufacture, and have been for while. The LITE rails were not considered overly light weight, but there still was a degree flex to them.

I'm not sure if that answers your question or not. Its also worth pointing out there was not a lot of people throwing lasers on long rails 15 years ago.

Disciple
08-31-23, 17:38
I'm not sure if that answers your question or not. Its also worth pointing out there was not a lot of people throwing lasers on long rails 15 years ago.

Well enough. If it takes a 20oz rail to optimize laser mounting I wonder if there is a better approach. Maybe a taper pinned gas block with a rail on top? Heat is an issue I suppose but there's got to be a way to add insulation in a purpose built device.

Hammer_Man
08-31-23, 17:55
Well enough. If it takes a 20oz rail to optimize laser mounting I wonder if there is a better approach. Maybe a taper pinned gas block with a rail on top? Heat is an issue I suppose but there's got to be a way to add insulation in a purpose built device.

When I went through basic training, we had a night fire exercise in which we used A2 rifles with a PEQ-15a direct mounted to the barrel. Honestly I’m not sure how they didn’t cook the circuit boards.

08-31-23, 21:11
No idea about why its a heavy rail. For a long time, people clamored for the lightest weight possible, then when ultra light weight rails appeared, they complained the rail was too flexible. My guess, and its only a guess, is that RA decided to make a quad rail for lasers and people who were demanding a ultra rigid rail.

ETA- Until someone gets one in hand, its hard to say all that much.

I think what Disciple is getting at is that if the posted weights are accurate, its heavier than the RIS II, DDM4, and Larue quads of equivalent length. I wouldn’t expect it to be as light as the current crop of floppy ass “we’re lazy so we engineered the dimensions around a 1.375” barrel nut” MLok rails, but it’d be surprising if it actually outweighs the RIS II. I’ll buy one soon, and check the weight.

Diamondback
09-01-23, 15:46

Both of the shorties or just one or the other? Unf, here in WA even AR REPAIR PARTS have been designated "contraband"... :(

Stickman
09-01-23, 17:14
Both of the shorties or just one or the other? Unf, here in WA even AR REPAIR PARTS have been designated "contraband"... :(

I was actually just thinking of the middle one, but I'll find out.

hotbiggun42
09-04-23, 22:07
I think the fortis rail is the winner. My rifle is fde, a little color will be nice

https://www.rainierarms.com/fortis-mfg-ar-15-rev-2-0-free-float-rail-system-od-green/

bb223
09-08-23, 06:00
Do you need to pin this to the upper or something? I’m not seeing any type of anti rotation.

Stickman
09-08-23, 09:41
Do you need to pin this to the upper or something? I’m not seeing any type of anti rotation.

It might be like the KAC and a few other rails where there is no external anti rotation. I agree that if there is something there, its missing my cursory glances.

markm
09-08-23, 13:53
I just went back to look at this rail again and saw in the specs that the nut isn't steel. I'm troubled by that a little.

grizzman
09-08-23, 14:18
I just went back to look at this rail again and saw in the specs that the nut isn't steel. I'm troubled by that a little.

I was also surprised when I read that.

markm
09-08-23, 16:47
I was also surprised when I read that.

I guess I'd have to install/run one before condemning that part of it. And I suppose the dimensions of the nut would play into how much load it could handle too.