PDA

View Full Version : Harrington & Richardson 30-round GI mags

Slater
09-02-23, 08:49
Anyone know who's making these for H&R? They seem a bit on the pricey side:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/harrington-richardson-5-56x45mm-30rd-magazine-gray.html?utm_medium=email&utm_source=aac_ammo&utm_campaign=20230826&utm_term=afternoon&utm_content=&avad=234121_f32fdc9d5&utm_source=Avantlink&utm_medium=Referral&utm_campaign=cl

Stickman
09-02-23, 09:08
Anyone know who's making these for H&R? They seem a bit on the pricey side:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/harrington-richardson-5-56x45mm-30rd-magazine-gray.html?utm_medium=email&utm_source=aac_ammo&utm_campaign=20230826&utm_term=afternoon&utm_content=&avad=234121_f32fdc9d5&utm_source=Avantlink&utm_medium=Referral&utm_campaign=cl

Even if they are sub contracting the mags out, and just getting their name stamped on the base plate, that price seems high...

Uncas47
09-02-23, 10:03
I'm not seeing 33710 or date

C-grunt
09-02-23, 15:56
Being a H&R mag I think they are an older style clone type mag. Probably more expensive for being the older style.

C-grunt
09-02-23, 15:59
regular mags are 8.99 on the PSA site. Looks like you are paying extra for the retro color and maybe style.

Alpha-17
09-03-23, 08:29
Being a H&R mag I think they are an older style clone type mag. Probably more expensive for being the older style.

No, there is nothing special about them besides possibly the gray finish. They have MagPul-style followers, and no retro stampings other than the H&R markings on the base plate. I bought one to go with the M16A1 clone I'm building, and was very disappointed. Won't be buying more; got plenty of upgraded USGI mags already.

Slater
09-03-23, 08:44
Okay used to make a gray dry-lube GI mag. Came out of the package looking pre-scuffed. They made decent mags but nobody seems to know who bought their production tooling - if anybody did.

mack7.62
09-03-23, 09:04
H&R never made mags so not clone correct, H&R were Vietnam era so 20 round mags would be more period correct so just PSA trying to profit off the H&R brand, don't know why anyone would want these.

Are retro 30 rounders a thing, I've got quite a few Adventure Line's, some Cooper and Sanchez guess I need to dig though my old mag box.

lysander
09-03-23, 09:12
H&R made M16 deliveries were at the very end of the Vietnam era, 1969 to 1971, when the 30-round magazine was available.

Slater
09-03-23, 09:29
Didn't the original 30-rounders have not-so-great black followers? Then later came the green followers? IIRC, Okay used to advertise that they were involved with the development of the original 30 round mag.

Stickman
09-03-23, 13:26
Okay used to make a gray dry-lube GI mag. Came out of the package looking pre-scuffed. They made decent mags but nobody seems to know who bought their production tooling - if anybody did.

My understanding was that the tooling was purchased, but I don't know any more than that, and even that could just be a rumor.

Slater
09-03-23, 13:58
Okay surprised a lot of people (me included) when they decided to exit the mag business, since they had been making quality mags for decades. Many put it down to the company becoming "woke", which I guess is entirely possible. I've also heard that their medical instrument/accessory business was way more profitable than making mags so they decided to concentrate on that particular industry. What's the real story? Don't know but maybe one day it'll come clear.

mack7.62
09-03-23, 14:16
H&R made M16 deliveries were at the very end of the Vietnam era, 1969 to 1971, when the 30-round magazine was available.

Available but not that common, I got out in 76 and in the artillery we only ever used the 20 rounders. Guarding a NATO (nuke) Site we carried five 20 rd mags loaded with 18 rds on us, 11 man shift, and another 60 or so loaded mags, 4,500 M60 rounds and can't remember how many cans of 5.56 in the guard shack.

Stickman
09-03-23, 16:07
Okay surprised a lot of people (me included) when they decided to exit the mag business, since they had been making quality mags for decades. Many put it down to the company becoming "woke", which I guess is entirely possible. I've also heard that their medical instrument/accessory business was way more profitable than making mags so they decided to concentrate on that particular industry. What's the real story? Don't know but maybe one day it'll come clear.

Same thing that I heard. Why make mags when you can make medical money?!

What is sad, is that I really liked their mags, especially their textured ones. I'm also the one who hounded them to make FDE 20 rounders, which they eventually did a small run of. Now I must horde my FDE 20 rounders!!!

markm
09-03-23, 16:55
Those are expensive clips, mama.

Diamondback
09-03-23, 17:51
Even if they are sub contracting the mags out, and just getting their name stamped on the base plate, that price seems high...

Doubly so since if they're sharing suppliers with PSA that means D&H/Labelle, IIRC.

Slater
09-03-23, 18:00
If all else fails, South Korea is here to help (if you don't mind gray anodizing instead of dry film or Teflon):

https://www.kcius.com/products/ar15/ar-15-30rd-aluminum-magazine

arptsprt
09-03-23, 19:30

This is also what I heard. I love their mags. Luckily I bought “a few” of their NHMTG and Okay branded over the years.

As for these H&R mags, I haven’t seen these and not sure who makes them. I would never pay that price retro or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prepare
09-03-23, 20:23
Wonder if MAGPUL contracts had anything to do with OKAY giving up the business?

What about DuraMag? Their metal mags look very similar to OKAY’s?

mack7.62
09-03-23, 21:45
Some mag trivia, back in the black follower days there used to be two sets of tooling dies for gov contract mags owned by the gov, they would provide the dies to the company who got the contract. A minority owned small business got extra points in the bid process so they usually won. First Adventure Line made both 20 and 30 rounders then Cooper got the contract and shipped reject mags which were unreliable and lost the contract, then Sanchez made mags thatb were unreliable in full auto which led to the development of the green follower. I believe LaBell and Parsons mags were OK not sure when they fall into the mix and Center which still has contracts. Also I believe Adventure Line was bought by Parsons and then they were bought by Center. I also kind of think Colt controlled one set of the dies or has a third set which were passed to Okay who made the Colt mags in addition to their own branded mags.

Colt started developing 30 round mags in the late 60's but official adoption did not take place until around 1975 I believe.

flenna
09-04-23, 06:34
Doubly so since if they're sharing suppliers with PSA that means D&H/Labelle, IIRC.

That would be my guess- the GI mags I’ve bought from PSA were D&H.

Stickman
09-04-23, 11:55
Wonder if MAGPUL contracts had anything to do with OKAY giving up the business?

Magpul certainly has their share of contracts for magazines with their PMAG series. However, any loss of sales to the PMAG are probably made up for by the increase in civilian shooters and new firearm owners. It would be nice to see the actual sales numbers of magazines to get a better insight, but I don't see that happening.

Dennis
09-04-23, 16:24
Hmmm... are 80s and 90s GI mags New in Bag that were freely available in the 90s worth anything extra now?

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Stickman
09-04-23, 17:41
Hmmm... are 80s and 90s GI mags New in Bag that were freely available in the 90s worth anything extra now?

Dennis.

To certain ban states, yes they are.

jsbhike
09-04-23, 17:49
Didn't the original 30-rounders have not-so-great black followers? Then later came the green followers? IIRC, Okay used to advertise that they were involved with the development of the original 30 round mag.

The very first ones were a shiny dark green with white number on them. I assume they were somewhat brittle based on the only one I ever had having the area that contacts the bolt hold open cracked off.

According to this:

https://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/magazines/rawlesfaq.html

The mint green follower was to correct a mystery problem with Sanchez magazines. The black followers had been around and working for years.

Diamondback
09-04-23, 20:39
That would be my guess- the GI mags I’ve bought from PSA were D&H.

Ditto mine--they used to have some pretty good deals on D&H mag bulk-purchases every now and then.

Diamondback
09-04-23, 20:41
To certain ban states, yes they are.

Too bad we can't get Magpul etc to adopt the Barrett Rule. Though I suspect that died when Ronnie sold out to the Aussies...