PDA

View Full Version : 45acp range report

Pappabear
09-03-23, 21:51
After shooting my 220 Sig Legion a while back and being surprised at the 45 recoil, and have been pampered by shooting 9mm for so long I wanted to compare it to other 45's. I recently acquired an FNX tactical and tossed an RMR on that gun. So I took my Sig 220, my FNX Tactical and a trusty Colt 1911.

Mark and I shot them both and I really didn't notice much difference in any of them. I thought I would find the felt recoil of the Colt to be more manageable due to slightly lower bore axis but I didn't. This really surprised me, but Mark noticed it a bit more than me. As far as shooting the 45's, I had to slow down just a scootch and was able to run the plate rack with good success and my hits overall were satisfactory.

It was a good day on the range and 45acp continues to satisfy.

http://i.imgur.com/DWcF07m.jpg (https://imgur.com/DWcF07m)

PB

pag23
09-04-23, 06:38
Good to know...I recently shot my Kimber TLE II vs my Range Officer vs a Dan Wesson TCP.

The Range Officer has upgraded trigger items and the Kimber both have a Wilson Combat Flat Wire spring and full length guide rod, only the TCP has a little more recoil due to the aluminum frame.

dpb1776
09-04-23, 10:46
Have various flavors of M&P's in 9mm shoot the 5 inch 1.0 the most with a light mounted when I shoot the M&P 45 full size takes a few rounds to get in the grove definitely a stronger recoil impulse but crazy accurate pistol

gaijin
09-04-23, 14:08
We actually have a .45 ACP Range Day once in a blue moon.
Nearly everyone uses 1911’s as it’s invariably a match format, but I recall someone used a P220 once.
And no, he didn’t win.

Krazykarl
09-04-23, 17:22
Of my glocks, I shoot the G30 the best. 45acp is reassuring.

Ron3
09-04-23, 19:07
Do they still make that DA / SA FN?

Did it come optic ready?

I need that. :)

ndmiller
09-04-23, 19:10
I've got a Les Baer along with a Glock 41 MOS I take to the plate range once in a while. Easy to see hits and misses and plates drop right away with no smaller caliber hesitation. Always unlucky with the range without the texas star which would be more of a challenge.

Pappabear
09-05-23, 00:43
Do they still make that DA / SA FN?

Did it come optic ready?

I need that. :)

The FNX lines are built like the HK45. It comes DA/SA and with the option to run “locked and cocked “ like a 1911. I believe both guns were made to a military RFP.

YES it comes optic ready with plates. 3 each 13 rd mags.

PB

markm
09-05-23, 08:58
Shooting the irons was a blessing. I definitely shot the Sig worse than the other two... not because it's a Sig. But that combo was slightly tougher for me.

Ron3
09-05-23, 09:18
The FNX lines are built like the HK45. It comes DA/SA and with the option to run “locked and cocked “ like a 1911. I believe both guns were made to a military RFP.

YES it comes optic ready with plates. 3 each 13 rd mags.

PB

Thanks. Perhaps I'll try one.

Wouldn't mind having a similar configuration in .40, either. Also hard to find.

Pappabear
09-05-23, 11:30
Thanks. Perhaps I'll try one.

Wouldn't mind having a similar configuration in .40, either. Also hard to find.
Yea that FN gun came out after 40 lost the caliber war. So it doesn’t exist.

PB

Ron3
09-05-23, 12:43
Yea that FN gun came out after 40 lost the caliber war. So it doesn’t exist.

PB

I'm liking .40 lately. Smaller frames than 10 mm & .45 double-stack guns but more powerful than 9x19.

It's a very "American" pistol caliber, too.

Ron3
09-05-23, 12:52
But this is a .45 thread.

The most recent .45 I've bought is a new Beretta Px4. It's okay, not great.

I'd forgotten how slick the frame & slide were on th these. I put rubberized decals on it and that really helps the grip.

I'd hoped to have it cut for an optic, but LTT told me the .45 slide is different than the 9/40 slides that they will cut.

Then I discovered it won't eat my reloads. Not one. It acts like they are too long but they are about minimum OAL as it is. Mixed brass. They range from at minimum to about .005 in more. I'm not shortening them. They work in two other .45's and I have 600 of them or so loaded.

I'll probably end up selling it. With factory ammo it's reliable and accurate.

It does have less recoil than my M&P 2.0 .45. Could be the action but I suspect it's the wider grip of the Px4.