mrosamilia
01-03-09, 22:00
Sure;);)

Mark71
01-04-09, 00:09
That HK45 seems to be one giant headache since he bought it last year :D

The Dumb Gun Collector
01-04-09, 00:16
Yep, I loaned it to a friend and he and Mike took it out. I wasn't there but they reported many malfunctions.

Mark71
01-04-09, 00:53
Yep, I loaned it to a friend and he and Mike took it out. I wasn't there but they reported many malfunctions.

What kind of ammo was being used?
:confused:

The Dumb Gun Collector
01-04-09, 05:07
Shane's Goofy reloads.

mike benedict
01-04-09, 05:09
230 gr ball

The Dumb Gun Collector
01-04-09, 05:12
O.K. now Mike! You guys gotta get this straight. Shane said two on the phone from the terrible BBQ place you like, three when he dropped it off. And he said the ammo was his own reloaded 185 grain light "target" reloads. What are y'all up to?:D

mike benedict
01-04-09, 05:23
All I know was that the ammo looked like regular 230 ball and it was in a white box.
I had two stove pipes and one failure to extract.
BTW my M&P 45 ran fine with the same ammo.

they just don't make H&Ks like they used to

The Dumb Gun Collector
01-04-09, 05:26
Whatever you say! Wake Shane up and straighten out the rest of the details!:D

Littlelebowski
01-04-09, 07:28
What kind of ammo was being used?
:confused:

This is a humorous post, mark71.

Sam
01-04-09, 07:42
Whatever you say! Wake Shane up and straighten out the rest of the details!:D

Details? Here's why they had contradicting stories. They had distractions! :)

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Image0104.jpg

mike benedict
01-04-09, 07:44
That would be Talon Tactical World Headquarters in the background

Sam
01-04-09, 07:45
Which pistol did Shane decide on?

mrosamilia
01-04-09, 08:01
Reloads and distractions will get the best of us anytime.;)

mike benedict
01-04-09, 08:07
Shane bought a M&P 45 last night at the Bargain Barn and said he was putting his HK 45 up for sale.

BTW the knife lady at the Bargain Barn said hey

Sam
01-04-09, 08:23
Shane bought a M&P 45 last night at the Bargain Barn and said he was putting his HK 45 up for sale.

BTW the knife lady at the Bargain Barn said hey

Hehe, I like the knife lady :) I need to go to the BB again soon.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/benchmade_001.jpg

I'm sure Greg will save Shane and give the new HK a nice home next to his jammatic. Somehow I knew that Shane would like the M&P once he shot it.

The Dumb Gun Collector
01-04-09, 09:33
No way Sam. I am going to sell my suspiciously selective jammomatic and buy an M&P plus 5 extra strikers!:D

mike benedict
01-04-09, 12:13
You can probably get $75 maybe $80 for the HK considering it doesn't work

The Dumb Gun Collector
01-04-09, 16:12
There is an obvious solution! We need to have a contest. I will bring 2000 rounds of ammo, you bring 2000 rounds. We will shoot 2k without cleaning, etc. Whichever gun has the most malfunctions loses. The loser gives the other guy his gun. I will bring the HK45 and you bring an M&P45.

SOT364
01-04-09, 16:42
Alrighty then. I am the infamous "Shane" referred to in the post. Just to give everybody an idea about me: I have been a POST certified Peace Officer for going on 10 years now, I have over 4000 documented training hours in investigations and advanced weapons and tactics, I have been to the majority of internationally recognized shooting schools, and I have put a lot of rounds down range through a lot of different weapons systems. This is not to brag, just to give those who don't know me a little bit of a background.

Mike and Greg are also both friends of mine. I have shot and trained with both of them, trust their word, and value their opinions. I was alerted to this thread and wanted to clarify a few things.

I am looking for a new duty gun (to replace my G17) and Greg graciously let me borrow his HK45. I took it and a friend (the red head) up to Mike's place to compare it to the M&P.

The ammunition in question is a custom load I had made up. It is 185 gr. FMJ with a hollow base. It is also loaded to about 650-700 fps for use in a custom LW 4" 1911 to reduce wear on said gun. It is what I had in hte back of my SUV so that is what I sent with.

I did NOT have a malfunction with either Greg's HK or Mike's M&P using said ammo. I saw Mike have two stove pipe's with the HK45, but did not see teh failure to extract.

I liked the HK45 EXCEPT for the thumb safety. You see, I have little girly hands and the rear (round) edge of the HK's thumb safety agitated the last joint on my thumb closest to the web of my hand.

In light of this I decided to buy an M&P 45. (I have an HK45 due here on Tuesday, and was going to sale it.)

Well I went to the range today with my Chief and the M&P (NIB, no manual safety, no internal lock, no mag disconnect, and 5 NIB mags). I had numerous problems. It would not reliably feed either 230 gr. Ranger Talon, 230 Federal HST, or my now infamous light practice loads that have stirred up so much hate and petulance. I had multiple failures to feed, extract, and stove pipes. The slide lock/release would only drop the slide about 50% of the time, and on a locked back slide (again, about 50% of the time) I would get a loaded mag about 3/4 of the way in and the slide would jump into battery on its own without cambering a round.

The M&P was , however, very very accurate, and the trigger was decent. I was extremely disappointed in its performance otherwise.

I have NO dog in this fight. I am just an American Law Man that needs a stone cold reliable piece to keep me, my brothers, and the Citizens that I am sworn to protect safe from evil doers. I could care less about who uses what and what the cool new kit is. If it don't work, I trash it.

Mike, whom I respect, has many thousands of rounds through his M&P's and he reports no problems. I believe him.

Greg, whom I respect, has many thousands of rounds through his HK and he reports no problems. I believe him.

At the end of the day there are many factors that can cause a gun to hiccup. If I can not trace it back to bad ammo or mags I get worried. I can trace the incident with Greg's piece back to ammo. I can not find the problem with MY M&P.

I would not have the slightest reservation about carrying Greg's HK on duty (if I could grow man hands, or work on that safety), and I would not have a problem with carrying Mike's M&P on duty. I will NOT carry my M&P however.

Sam
01-04-09, 16:59
Shane called me this afternoon with a report on his new purchase. Greg, I'm sure you got the same call.

ygbsm
01-04-09, 22:11
I think it's just Mike. He could break an anvil if you let him use one.

By the by, if that was Talon Tactical World HQ, I need to stop by more often ;P

Bryan

HK45
01-06-09, 09:26
The silence is deafening.

SOT364
01-08-09, 00:12
I took my HK45 and M&P45 up to Greg's place the other day (after my post and M&P troubles), we also took out Greg's HK45. I brought up some of the same light target loads mentioned in my post above. Greg fired his HK and he and I both fired the M&P. Greg had ONE stovepipe (horizontal) in 30 rounds. Neither he nor I had any malfunctions or weirdness with the M&P.

After we shot up the light loads, we moved on to a mix of 230 gr. ball and JHP. We both fired several hundred rounds through our HK's without incident.

Over the last two days I have put 75 rounds through my M&P of assorted ammunition and all of the strange happenings have disappeared. With its past, I won't ever have the confidence I need in it to use it on duty. I am currently looking for it a new home. I do want a M&P 9 because as I stated, it feels awesome in the hand, is match grade accurate, and a decent trigger (better if Mike works his magic on it;) ).

As of now, I have decided on the HK45 as my duty weapon. I "blended" the offending angels on the thumb safety and did my on "Vicker's Package" inside the trigger guard. I am quite pleased with it thus far. Also, for the record, my HK45 would not cycle the light target loads. I have a feeling this has a lot to do with the robustness of the spring and how light the ammo is.

I am off to Mike's later today to go shooting, have some holsters made up, and hopefully eat some outstanding BBQ :D

Sam
01-08-09, 06:03
I am off to Mike's later today to go shooting, have some holsters made up, and hopefully eat some outstanding BBQ :D

How about Provino's or Buffalo's instead? :)

SOT364
01-08-09, 09:45
Whatever you and Mike decide is fine with me.

mike benedict
01-08-09, 10:29
Buffalo's works for me Maybe Horace and Claude want to join us say 6:30

Sam
01-08-09, 10:38
Buffalo's is awesome, maybe we'll find a girlfriend for Claude.

Sidewinder6
01-08-09, 13:13
I will admit the HK requires adapting to. But the more you shoot it the more you learn to like it. You have a duty gun that should serve you well. It is accurate and reliable.

Hope you guys have a good day on the range.

ToddG
01-08-09, 14:20
When a thread turns into a discussion of where a few folks are getting together for dinner, it's run its course.