PDA

View Full Version : Stuck Bullet need Help

Hootiewho
01-03-09, 20:59
OK, first off for those of you who shoot subsonic ammo always make sure the bullet actually comes out of the barrel so that you don't end up with a KB situation, which luckily I avoided this afternoon.

Long story made short, I have a bullet from one of Engel Ballistic Research's 5.56mm stealth ammo lodged in my bore just into the rifling above the throat. I have managed to take a cleaning rod and by hammering, have pushed the lead core of the bullet back out through the chamber.

Now I have a copper jacket stuck in my rifling that I cannot dislodge to save my life. I have broken 3 cleaning rods trying.

Any suggestions?

Will copper solvent eat the jacket enough to weaken it allowing it to release and not harm the bore?

I first used a USGI cleaning rod, and it bend. Have I already ruined the chrome lining by hammering a steel rod trying to dislodge the bullet?

Should I just have put a blank in and tried to fire the stuck bullet on out?

Any help is appreciated.

MisterWilson
01-03-09, 21:30
Wooden dowel rod.

jmoore
01-03-09, 21:32
I have talked with smiths about this problem, and some have a fairly easy solution. They have this little screw attachment that they screw into the jacket from the chamber - then retrieve the jacket by yanking it back towards the chamber. When that is done correctly, there is said to be no damage to the chamber/barrel. Can't say what has happened as the result of your previous attempts. Know anyone with a bore scope:)

Good luck!

jm (aka- Bone Daddy)

MarshallDodge
01-03-09, 21:34
I've never had this issue but maybe you could try a good penetrant like kroil:
http://www.kanolabs.com/

byatacko
01-03-09, 22:42
Take a blank, chamber it and hit the trigger. Just make sure Brandon Lee isn't standing in front of the barrel and you should be OK
ETA: (tongue in cheek)

Heavy Metal
01-03-09, 23:13
Take a blank, chamber it and hit the trigger. Just make sure Brandon Lee isn't standing in front of the barrel and you should be OK

I would not follow this advise unless I was in a life or death situation.

Kroil and a steel cleaning rod would be my choice.

markm
01-04-09, 12:05
Not to kick you while you're down...

But this would be one of MANY reasons why subsonic thru a 5.56 is ****ing stupid.

Maybe even more stupid than an AR pistol? :confused:

navyretired1
02-19-09, 21:01
At your local beauty supply store but some Hydrogen peroxide (very strong) with upper standing on receiver end pour about 1/2 ounce in bore. 1 hour later hit from muzzle end with cleaning rod and It will come out with a bunch of green/blue crap. the peroxide attacks the copper and dissolves enough to remove. BTW not too long will etch bore.

Col_Crocs
02-19-09, 22:01
navyretired1's suggestion sounds good. Seems less damaging to the bore if done right, I think. Anyone else done this method before? Does the etching of the barrel if left too long apply to chrome lined barrels as well?

Noob question but Id like to double check... if one gets a squib round, can the rifle still cycle from back pressure even if it doesnt reach the gas port?? From what I understand, KBs are caused by chambering (by hand) another round without checking after a dud or in this case mis-firing using under-powered ammo? Any responses from those with more experience on this would be great. I get paranoid everytime this subject comes up...

bkb0000
02-19-09, 23:09
navyretired1's suggestion sounds good. Seems less damaging to the bore if done right, I think. Anyone else done this method before? Does the etching of the barrel if left too long apply to chrome lined barrels as well?

Noob question but Id like to double check... if one gets a squib round, can the rifle still cycle from back pressure even if it doesnt reach the gas port?? From what I understand, KBs are caused by chambering (by hand) another round without checking after a dud or in this case mis-firing using under-powered ammo? Any responses from those with more experience on this would be great. I get paranoid everytime this subject comes up...

neg.. it wont cycle. the bolt locks shut and doesnt rotate out unless the bullet gets pas the port. make sure to check the cartridge and bore if you get a weird ignition.

Col_Crocs
02-20-09, 00:11
neg.. it wont cycle. the bolt locks shut and doesnt rotate out unless the bullet gets pas the port. make sure to check the cartridge and bore if you get a weird ignition.

Thanks!