PDA

View Full Version : RIP Windham Weaponry

Slater
09-11-23, 16:41
Wow, that was sudden:

"It is with deep regret that we announce the closing of Windham Weaponry. Our website/online retail ordering system will remain active through Tuesday night, Sept 12. We will do our best to ship all orders this week and early next week. No credit card will be charged until the order is shipped.

Twelve years ago, when we started Windham Weaponry, our shareholders and longtime employees were excited to continue the traditions and spirit of Bushmaster Firearms, after the new owners decided to leave Maine.

We built WW into a company we could be proud of providing outstanding customer service, high quality products, as well as a great place for our dedicated employees to work.

The last few years have been a very challenging time for the firearms industry, and we have struggled to keep the WW dream alive for as long as possible. Unfortunately, we have not been able to meet our loan obligations with the bank after they worked with us as much as they could.

There was a glimmer of hope when we were negotiating with an investor to help keep WW alive and healthy, but that just fell through.

We have begun discussions with Keenan Auction Company to determine the best course of action for a full liquidation which should happen within the next month or so.

Our shareholders and employees truly appreciate your loyal support all of these years."

https://www.windhamweaponry.com/

JediGuy
09-11-23, 18:12
Man, I would love to do something in Maine with some of that team and equipment. Been a long time.

robbins290
09-11-23, 18:22
Man, I would love to do something in Maine with some of that team and equipment. Been a long time.

As a Mainer, We need it. WW will be a huge hit. There are some smaller guys, but lack the marketing.

Slater
09-11-23, 18:23
As fate would have it, I have one of their Plain-Jane 20-inch A4's on layaway for a range/target plinker. Hope their QC is decent because the warranty is almost certainly void after the company dissolves.

https://www.windhamweaponry.com/firearms/rifles/223-556-caliber-rifle/20-govt-rifle/

robbins290
09-11-23, 18:27
As fate would have it, I have one of their Plain-Jane 20-inch A4's on layaway for a range/target plinker. Hope their QC is decent because the warranty is almost certainly void after the company dissolves.

https://www.windhamweaponry.com/firearms/rifles/223-556-caliber-rifle/20-govt-rifle/

IF it makes you feel better, There QC is very good. Been going there for the for a long time. Never had an issue with there rifles, and 2 of them I beat weekly.

Hank6046
09-11-23, 22:30
That's too bad, I had a buddy I was in a Veterans group in College who became a LEO and shot the piss out of his, I remember his only issue was that the feed ramps didn't like the Winchester Ranger so he finally bought a BCM, but he was there with me and his Windham for most of the first Carbine classes I took. My LGS still has 3-4 on the shelf right now.

ACE31
09-12-23, 03:49
A sad day indeed. :(

Slater
09-12-23, 06:52
I can see the listings on Gunbroker and other sites already - "Rare, out-of-production Windham Weaponry AR. Get it while you still can".

ChattanoogaPhil
09-12-23, 08:09
That's too bad. I have a Bushmaster from the 90s.

TMS951
09-12-23, 08:32
It’s always sad to lose a gun company or any USA based manufacturer.

That said I found the rifles listed on their website not in line with what people buy or want in 2023, or even 2013 for that matter.

The clone type rifles seems like the only thing worth buying. The others were pretty terrible.

lowprone
09-12-23, 12:20
They won't be the last !

Slater
09-12-23, 12:26
I hear a lot of favorable comments on Windham's barrels. Not sure who made those.

robbins290
09-12-23, 12:42
I hear a lot of favorable comments on Windham's barrels. Not sure who made those.

Last I knew it was green mountain barrels. I had a family member work for them and they said they ship some of the barrels to windham weaponry. I am going to stop by and see if the Windham weaponry range will stay open. I doubt it will, but worth checking.

Edit, I believe its these barrels they used.
https://www.gmriflebarrel.com/GMRBItem.aspx?Item=GM-M5&ReturnURL=/military-barrels/ar-15-/-m16-/-m4-rifle-barrels&Category=2756c0ce-174b-46fb-bc11-6723e893d5ea

hotbiggun42
09-13-23, 14:35
RIP WW

hotbiggun42
09-13-23, 14:38
Last I knew it was green mountain barrels. I had a family member work for them and they said they ship some of the barrels to windham weaponry. I am going to stop by and see if the Windham weaponry range will stay open. I doubt it will, but worth checking.

Edit, I believe its these barrels they used.
https://www.gmriflebarrel.com/GMRBItem.aspx?Item=GM-M5&ReturnURL=/military-barrels/ar-15-/-m16-/-m4-rifle-barrels&Category=2756c0ce-174b-46fb-bc11-6723e893d5ea

I assumed their barrels were 1-9 with a semi auto bcg and a commercial reciever extension.

Hammer_Man
09-13-23, 17:40
Sad news indeed, it’s tough to see another US based manufacturing company (especially 2A related) close its’ doors. I had very good luck with one of their 20” 1/7 twist A4 barrels, and was waiting for their 14.5” 1/7 twist M4 barrels to come back in stock. Looks like that won’t happen.

I assumed their barrels were 1-9 with a semi auto bcg and a commercial reciever extension.

They sold 1/7 twist 4150 chrome lined barrels on their website.

Diamondback
09-13-23, 18:14
Sad news indeed, it’s tough to see another US based manufacturing company (especially 2A related) close its’ doors. I had very good luck with one of their 20” 1/7 twist A4 barrels, and was waiting for their 14.5” 1/7 twist M4 barrels to come back in stock. Looks like that won’t happen.
Check with Green Mountain, see if they were the supplier on those and still make 'em?

Slater
09-13-23, 18:23

Going by their website, their "Government" model seems to have decent specs:

Barrel: 20” Gov’t. A2 Profile, Chrome Lined with A2 Flash Suppressor

Barrel Material: 4150 Chrome Moly Vanadium 11595E Steel w. M4 Feed Ramps

Rifling: 1 Turn in 7” – Right Hand Twist

Hammer_Man
09-13-23, 19:13
Check with Green Mountain, see if they were the supplier on those and still make 'em?

I found a complete 14.5” Colt upper recently, so I’ll stick with that. The desire to use the Windham barrel was to satisfy my curiosity regarding the quality of their M4 barrels.

Bret
10-12-23, 17:41
I'm sad to see them go. I have several of their rifles and they've been great. The AR15 market is extremely competitive. If a company doesn't offer something to differentiate it from others, it's difficult to survive.