PDA

View Full Version : Any Love for Air Rifles?

brentona
09-13-23, 15:35
Howdy all! Weather is getting out of the 90’s in Charleston and the backyard Airgun range is coming to life once again! I love powder burners first and foremost, but I gotta give proper love to a good springer .177! Rifle of choice is my Weihrauch HW50S. Here is some playing around with small steel silhouettes from Air Venturi!

https://youtu.be/yIN6t0Q3MXM?si=zCe_ZqhsiMa0ruO7

Anyone else take advantage of these cost efficient training tools?

Sound off with any media you’d like to share!

- Brent

StainlessSteelRat
09-13-23, 17:00
Crazy fun, airguns are. I've had quite a few over the years but the only one I have now is a Sheridan C9A with a Williams peep on it. Thanks for reminding me, I need to dust it off and put some .20 cal pellets through it.
When I was about 10, I happened upon a guy aiming a C9 at a crow way up in a pine tree. I scoffed at him being able to hit anything at that range.... pop, a cloud of feathers and a very dead crow. Hit like a .22 rifle, made a believer of me for sure. I've had several of these little gems. PITA to pump up though.

brentona
09-13-23, 18:27
Crazy fun, airguns are. I've had quite a few over the years but the only one I have now is a Sheridan C9A with a Williams peep on it. Thanks for reminding me, I need to dust it off and put some .20 cal pellets through it.
When I was about 10, I happened upon a guy aiming a C9 at a crow way up in a pine tree. I scoffed at him being able to hit anything at that range.... pop, a cloud of feathers and a very dead crow. Hit like a .22 rifle, made a believer of me for sure. I've had several of these little gems. PITA to pump up though.

Good call on the Williams! I too have one. Williams model FP-AG-TK. They making shooting these sorts of rifles a breeze! It really is surprising the first time you shoot a well made air rifle. Targets once thought too far suddenly seem perfectly easy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adrenaline_6
09-14-23, 08:11
Howdy all! Weather is getting out of the 90’s in Charleston and the backyard Airgun range is coming to life once again! I love powder burners first and foremost, but I gotta give proper love to a good springer .177! Rifle of choice is my Weihrauch HW50S. Here is some playing around with small steel silhouettes from Air Venturi!

https://youtu.be/yIN6t0Q3MXM?si=zCe_ZqhsiMa0ruO7

Anyone else take advantage of these cost efficient training tools?

Sound off with any media you’d like to share!

- Brent

I owned a Beeman R1 in .177 a long time ago. What a nice and accurate air rifle it was. I gave it to a good friend of mine who used it for pest control at work.

brentona
09-14-23, 09:12
I owned a Beeman R1 in .177 a long time ago. What a nice and accurate air rifle it was. I gave it to a good friend of mine who used it for pest control at work.

They make a fantastic pellet flinger, too! Beeman and Weihrauch use a lot of the same design!

Krazykarl
09-14-23, 14:36
Love my pellet rifles. Socially acceptable city dweller rifle practice.

Disciple
09-14-23, 14:41
Love my pellet rifles. Socially acceptable city dweller rifle practice.

Discharge of air guns is illegal in a lot of cities, if you can believe it.

brentona
09-14-23, 15:05
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230914/6d0e3c8ddec42683faf0e4181ae60ebc.jpeg

brentona
09-14-23, 15:06
Discharge of air guns is illegal in a lot of cities, if you can believe it.

If you get caught!

hotrodder636
09-14-23, 15:10
I have been very interested in a pre-charged-pneumatic. I have looked at the Air Force models and Leshiy. Big dollars for those but I really like what I am seeing from them.

brentona
09-14-23, 15:13
I have been very interested in a pre-charged-pneumatic. I have looked at the Air Force models and Leshiy. Big dollars for those but I really like what I am seeing from them.

Wow I’d never seen a Leshiy! That’s some cool stuff right there!

Adrenaline_6
09-14-23, 15:32
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230914/6d0e3c8ddec42683faf0e4181ae60ebc.jpeg

Pretty!

Another air powered product that intrigues me is the Benjamin Airbow.

brentona
09-14-23, 15:33
Pretty!

Another air powered product that intrigues me is the Benjamin Airbow.

Yes! Those are wild!!

Krazykarl
09-14-23, 16:13
My next purchase will take me from the .177 to manly .22. The wind deflection is too much with .177

brentona
09-14-23, 16:32
My next purchase will take me from the .177 to manly .22. The wind deflection is too much with .177

That may be a consideration if I move. I hunt in the swamps / swamp forests down here in south cackalacky and don’t have too much wind ever to contend with. My house gets windy when it’s storming and that’s about it!

I do have a Crosman .22 that doesn’t shoot worth a damn. I can’t get the pellets to impact anywhere near a zero. It’s about six - eight inches high at 25y. Repeatedly, mind you. Could be a smashed gasket, could be a slight bend in the barrel. That’s what pushed me to the HW50S. I also read that pretty much across the board, .177 vs .22 in ideal conditions? .177 came out on top for accuracy / precision. A head shot is a head shot. Doesn’t matter if it’s a .22 or a .177. Pop, flop.

What .22 are ya lookin at??

triggerjerk
09-14-23, 16:38
Any tips on how to hold a springer offhand and also how to shoot it from a rest? Have a Hatsan that wants to shoot ok, and have read to hold light with support hand close in, but if my pinkie isnt held just right I miss my chipmunk....

TheGhostRider
09-14-23, 17:47
I’ve got a Leshiy 2.0 in .22 250mm barrel.
Lights out accurate… like smoking chipmunks at 50 plus yards accuracy.
Purchased from Edgun West with a small 300bar compressor.
I run Crosman Premier HP 14.3g pellets zeroed at 25 yards. Pretty much cover shots with a dime.
Love the damn thing. I put a Burris 4x16-50 BDC w/LED reticle on it. Gun with scope and compressor… ~$3500.00
Painful but absolutely worth every penny.

TheGhostRider
09-14-23, 17:53
Any tips on how to hold a springer offhand and also how to shoot it from a rest? Have a Hatsan that wants to shoot ok, and have read to hold light with support hand close in, but if my pinkie isnt held just right I miss my chipmunk....
Cavalry hold only… don’t brace/rest it on anything. The springers are touchy on holding. The minute you rest it your zero will drift because of double recoil… fore and aft.
Because of age and injury I’ve given up shooting my springer (Gamo 220 in .177) and use pcp now. Much more consistent hits… like I have to try and miss.

brentona
09-14-23, 18:42

I just rest the forestock on my open palm and maybe curl a finger or two very loosely around dem the bottom. Cavalry hold as the fine gentleman below described!

Got any pics of that Leshiy set up!? Sounds very nice!

Pacific5th
09-14-23, 18:51
I have an air pistol my uncle gave me before he passed. It’s a 1960’s Crossman 22 pellet gun. Very cool, all metal as far as I can tell. He had the box and receipt. Off the top of my head I think he paid $13 for it at Pay and Save. Looks kinda like a Ruger MK gun. We take it camping and it’s a big hit with the kids. Very accurate. I need to get a rifle to go with it.

He also gave me a 60’s Crossman BB gun and a 1917 Winchester pump/tube 22 that he got from his dad (grandpa) who got it from his brother (my Great Uncle) who passed in 1930 I think from TB. No idea if he’s the original owner but I’m at least the 4th in the faimily to own it now.

brentona
09-14-23, 19:03
I have an air pistol my uncle gave me before he passed. It’s a 1960’s Crossman 22 pellet gun. Very cool, all metal as far as I can tell. He had the box and receipt. Off the top of my head I think he paid $13 for it at Pay and Save. Looks kinda like a Ruger MK gun. We take it camping and it’s a big hit with the kids. Very accurate. I need to get a rifle to go with it.

He also gave me a 60’s Crossman BB gun and a 1917 Winchester pump/tube 22 that he got from his dad (grandpa) who got it from his brother (my Great Uncle) who passed in 1930 I think from TB. No idea if he’s the original owner but I’m at least the 4th in the faimily to own it now.

Those old pellet pistols are very nice! A gallery gun!? Love little slide .22’s, never had the joy of shooting one, but held many. One day! Enjoy that!

triggerjerk
09-14-23, 19:41
If I held the dang thing any lighter, I'd drop it! Long kill is 80ft for the munks... have missed closer.... Was unhappy with irons, but that was before changing hold. Has the furnished 3x9 currently. Don't like the wobble at 3x. Don't notice it as much on munks but do on my spinner. Have heard air rifles destroy regular scopes with reversed recoil impulse. Is this still true with springers? I just realized I have an old Burris 2(.5?)x. No great loss if, but think it would last on this gun?

TheGhostRider
09-14-23, 20:01
If I held the dang thing any lighter, I'd drop it! Long kill is 80ft for the munks... have missed closer.... Was unhappy with irons, but that was before changing hold. Has the furnished 3x9 currently. Don't like the wobble at 3x. Don't notice it as much on munks but do on my spinner. Have heard air rifles destroy regular scopes with reversed recoil impulse. Is this still true with springers? I just realized I have an old Burris 2(.5?)x. No great loss if, but think it would last on this gun?

Springers are hell on regular scopes… don’t do it.
As for pics of my Leshiy… don’t know how to post them here.

Krazykarl
09-14-23, 20:28
The pcp from FX looks very interesting for a 22 caliber air puffer

glocktogo
09-14-23, 20:32
I wore out more airguns than I can remember as a kid. I currently have a pump Sheridan with a Williams peep and a scoped Remington springer, both in .22 cal. I’ve been thinking I should get myself a nice PCP as a retirement gift when the time comes. Maybe a Marauder, though the Hatsan BullBoss is kinda intriguing?

brentona
09-15-23, 05:55
Those Sheridans are nice kit! Held in high regard! I have a discerning older friend that has two .20’s

Averageman
09-15-23, 09:10
We had a squirrel in the attic that would run up and down between the walls. My Dad was afraid it would chew some wiring and burn the house down.
So we set a Trap after dinner in the basement with some old dry corn cobs. My Dad had a few before and during dinner, so I got to do the shooting, I was like 10.
We waited until we heard rustling and my Dad hit the light and I popped that Squirrel right between the eyes. The Squirrel proceeded to lay on his side and do 360 pin wheels at like Mach II.
The Squirrel recovered and ran up the basements steps for the Kitchen. My Mom screamed and our two black labs chased the Squirrel in a race track like circut through our little house three times.
Finally the screen door slammed open and then closed and it was quiet as we could hear the barking Dogs out in the yard.
My Mom called for my Dad, but he decided to finish his Beer before coming upstairs.

Big old German pump action .22 caliber rifle. Heavy as a Tiger Tank.

That's a big day for a Ten year old in 1971, lemme tell ya.

Det-Sog
09-15-23, 10:04
I grew up wit airguns. It's what got me hooked into shooting real guns. Daisy then Crossman. As a kid I could knock a time off a fence post across a field.

Tread lightly here. You can spend more on a good air gun than you can on an AR15. I made the mistake of discovering PCPs after dipping my toe in to the pool as an adult. I tried springers and just wasn't impressed. Then I bought the HW100 in .22.. This is an ENTRY LEVEL PCP, and I can make hits on a 7" paper plate at 100 yards with it. It's as quiet as a suppressed .22 shooting CB caps. Not kidding.

https://www.enfieldsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Weihrauch-HW100-TK-Carbine-3-768x768.jpg

I have an entry level air compressor to charge it up.

I may have to upgrade to an FX or Leshiy at some point.

brentona
09-15-23, 10:16
I grew up wit airguns. It's what got me hooked into shooting real guns. Daisy then Crossman. As a kid I could knock a time off a fence post across a field.

Tread lightly here. You can spend more on a good air gun than you can on an AR15. I made the mistake of discovering PCPs after dipping my toe in to the pool as an adult. I tried springers and just wasn't impressed. Then I bought the HW100 in .22.. This is an ENTRY LEVEL PCP, and I can make hits on a 7" paper plate at 100 yards with it. It's as quiet as a suppressed .22 shooting CB caps. Not kidding.

https://www.enfieldsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Weihrauch-HW100-TK-Carbine-3-768x768.jpg

That’s a sweet set-up! Feel free to post any target, pics, or videos!!

Disciple
09-15-23, 10:47

How is that entry level when there are many less expensive ones for sale. Do you mean they are all a waste of money?

Det-Sog
09-15-23, 11:41
How is that entry level when there are many less expensive ones for sale. Do you mean they are all a waste of money?

"Waste of money" is a relative term.

Bushmaster is a much cheaper brand of AR15 than say Colt, BCM, Noveske or Daniel Defense. There is no effing way I'd buy a Bushmaster when I could save up for a better alternative.

Hope that helps.

glocktogo
09-15-23, 11:58

Wow, that's a sweet rig! I like the quiet part!

RudyN
09-15-23, 21:10
I have a Hatsan springer in .22 cal. Also a old Benjamin in BB caliber. Haven't shot the Benjamin as it leaks air and I can't find the seals. I was thinking about a scope and I think I have found what I need in a couple of previous posts.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

TheGhostRider
09-16-23, 09:52
Leshiy 2.0 REPR .22
Burris Fullfield IV 4x16-50 in an ADM mount. Scope has a LED crosshair.
The rail under the barrel is my creation... ARMS S-EX Swan rail. I cut both ends to make it fit another rail that I also cut to mount to the gun.
I see now that Edgun west has a factory rail that will fit directly to the bottom of the gun.
I use the forward grip, Streamlight TLR1 or a bipod as needed.
I pressure up to about ~270 bar shoot down to 200 bar then reload. I get 24 rounds out of it. I could get more rounds per fill but I don't like to run the compressor too long.
I prefer more frequent short runs on the compressor. Since I use this for pest control I only have to fill maybe once per weekend.
The compressor that I got with the gun is an EL'Cheapo china es'speciale for about 400 bucks. I want a good compressor but I don't have 4 grand laying around.
The last pic is of the 1st shots out of the gun. It's actually settled in and gotten even more accurate with time.
I primarily run CPHP 14.3 g pellets through it for economy... $6.75 for 500 rounds.
The JSB 15 and 18 g pellets are the most accurate.. 1 hole at 25 yard zero but are also very expensive.
I'm using this gun for pest control and the CPHPs are more than adequate for the task.
Sorry for the tiny pics.

brentona
09-16-23, 18:01
Leshiy 2.0 REPR .22
The rail under the barrel is my creation... ARMS S-EX Swan rail. I cut both ends to make it fit another rail that I also cut to mount to the gun.
I see now that Edgun west has a factory rail that will fit directly to the bottom of the gun.
I pressure up to about ~270 bar shoot down to 200 bar then reload. I get 24 rounds out of it. I could get more rounds per fill but I don't like to run the compressor too long.
I prefer more frequent short runs on the compressor. Since I use this for pest control I only have to fill maybe once per weekend.
The compressor that I got with the gun is an EL'Cheapo china es'speciale for about 400 bucks. I want a good compressor but I don't have 4 grand laying around.
The last pic is of the 1st shots out of the gun. It's actually settled in and gotten even more accurate with time.
I primarily run CPHP 14.3 g pellets through it for economy... $6.75 for 500 rounds.
The JSB 15 and 18 g pellets are the most accurate.. 1 hole at 25 yard zero but are also very expensive.
I'm using this gun for pest control and the CPHPs are more than adequate for the task.
Sorry for the tiny pics.

That is sweeeeet!

Det-Sog
09-17-23, 13:29
I'm seriously going to have to upgrade to that Leshiy at some point. My HW-100 is just as accurate maybe a little more, but it's the size and weight of an M4 carbine with a can on the end. Using JSB Exact pellets, I can put all of the rounds into one hole up to 30-35 yards. They start opening up a bit after that.

brentona
09-18-23, 16:05
https://youtu.be/r1Pu854FD1c?si=JB30olcy7V2rSrXU

Bruce in WV
09-19-23, 05:46
A few years ago I funded my grandson’s interest in target shooting through 4H. They turn in some very impressive targets with this equipment. This was their list of approved rifles:

https://i.ibb.co/jRB9ht3/216-D5470-82-A4-4-A35-A84-C-5-C8-F06591-D84.jpg

pinzgauer
09-19-23, 11:50
You can have a lot of accurate shooting fun with a gamo. They make a range of models and their upper end ones are very decent copies of the Olympic class rifles and pistols. I have one of the pistols.

hotrodder636
09-19-23, 17:08
Wow I’d never seen a Leshiy! That’s some cool stuff right there!

Look up Edgun Leshiy on YT…..it shows some uh, real world effectiveness.

hotrodder636
09-19-23, 17:10
Leshiy 2.0 REPR .22
Sorry for the tiny pics.

Good to read that these “appear” to be pellet-lasers! I have read and heard they were. You posted some results.

TheGhostRider
09-19-23, 17:53
Good to read that these “appear” to be pellet-lasers! I have read and heard they were. You posted some results.

It is without a doubt extremely accurate and I do most of my shooting out the back door using the low cost Crosman pellets. I’m absolutely tickled with the performance of this setup.
I literally shoot dandelion heads off their stem’s out to about 50 yards. The gun is not the limiting factor… I am, age is catching up with me. Shakes, vision etc. Aging isn’t for pu@@ies. Chipmunks, Starlings, sparrows and pine squirrels… don’t know what hit them.

Too much fun and gets the job done.

brentona
09-21-23, 15:24
https://youtu.be/LCpAiyKIRWw?si=SKNI3xGXkLTopFtK

More .177 fun, this time popping some pills!

joedirt199
09-21-23, 18:24
I got mine mainly for silent squirrel hunting and shooting inside or backyard in the neighborhood.

.22s
Taipan Veteran Standard
RTI Prophet
FX Dreamline Tactical Compact

.177s
Daystate Huntsman Revere
FX Dreamline Tactical Compact
Crossmn 1377 multipump carbine

They are a lot of fun and amazing what those little pellets can do for accuracy at distance. I only hand pump and that helps to keep me in shape airing them up.

Adrenaline_6
09-22-23, 12:18
Just got an email on the new Seneca Dragon Claw II. Shoots .50 cal pellets in the 670-850 fps range AND 430 grain airbolts in the 600fps range. Damn.

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/dragon-claw-dual-tank-air-rifle?m=2500&trk_msg=KMCNB9A6RPN4F9TJPDMQ8Q3KRK&trk_contact=1FDC6IA6DJ89MBROP26BSO3DNO&trk_sid=7TQ3SFFDQCBTL8GEE4JE5GIO7K&trk_link=25N5NUSU9IE4VF108VESOHJ0K4#Video

Krazykarl
10-14-23, 08:46
Gentlemen! I need your advice...

My 78 y/o mother wants a pellet rifle for shooting starlings in her garden. She loved my Beeman Spring Air. But! The cocking effort was rough for her.

1. Is there a viable spring air with reduced cocking effort?
2. How good are the multipump pneumatics? My son's Benjamin was also hard for her with more than five pumps into the air piston.
3. Affordable pcp?? $150 or less....

Thanks!!!

Averageman
10-14-23, 08:59
Gentlemen! I need your advice...

My 78 y/o mother wants a pellet rifle for shooting starlings in her garden. She loved my Beeman Spring Air. But! The cocking effort was rough for her.

1. Is there a viable spring air with reduced cocking effort?
2. How good are the multipump pneumatics? My son's Benjamin was also hard for her with more than five pumps into the air piston.
3. Affordable pcp?? $150 or less....

Thanks!!!

Man, my little old lady Mother has hand strength issues also.
I had to completley go through her weapons and find something that would work for her. Which is a bummer cause She was very good with an older Smith and Wesson 44 spl.
I dunno man, I know nothing about CO2 guns, but perhaps that might be easier for her?

Krazykarl
10-14-23, 09:01
I forgot about the CO2 option.

RiggerGod
10-22-23, 07:44
Gents, I am also in need of a critter gitter. I have racoons, possums, weasels, and other larger game going after farm animals and garden. I’ve been using various 12 gauges to good effect. BUT I don’t take a fair amount of shots noise when family and neighbors are sleeping, background, and potential property damage (mostly mine!). I think a solid airgun would do the trick.
I’d LOVE a Marauder BUT having a hard time swallowing the price tag. Those Leshy are amazing BUT I don’t even have any AR’s that run that much! Any solid recommendations in the $200-300 range? What caliber pellet? I’ve perused Pyramid Air. Any other places or resources to checkout that are pretty concise? I’ve used pump and Co2 in my youth. Would prefer a pneumatic pre-charge or piston I think. Prefer a mag over single shot. Prolly going to do a simple cheapo micro red dot and gin up a similarly cheap light as most of my shots will be at after dark.
What say you M4C?

joedirt199
10-22-23, 08:22
Get an Air Venturi Avenger in 25 cal and use the 25 or 33 grain pellets. Will give you follow up shot magazine and side lever charging. Has an externally adjustable regulator if you need more juice on tap. A cheap amazon handpump and you are good to go. Some will say hand pumping is for the birds but if you are not shooting a tin of pellets a day and mainly pesting farms critters then the hand pump is fine for keeping the air topped off. PCP is far easier to shoot than a pneumatic break barrel and you will get way more energy from it.