PDA

View Full Version : DD MK 12 …thoughts

The Dumb Gun Collector
09-15-23, 19:43
I’ve never owned a precision AR. What are y’all thoughts on these guns? I am thinking about picking one up. I have a surefire socom mini and std. decent fit?

grizzman
09-15-23, 22:39
I've neither owned nor shot one, but I'd have no hesitation with picking up one up. DD's standard barrels are pretty highly regarded for their quality and how well they shoot, so the MK 12 aught to be even better, and it's CFH. The stainless gas block is pinned. DD's rail to barrel interface works really well, and the handguard should be very stiff. I don't recall reading about any bolt failures, so that's good to go. It even comes with a Geissele trigger.

The only component I'd change is the buttstock, and once an appropriate optic is added, it should have few equals.

opngrnd
09-15-23, 22:53
OP-Shooting precision ARs is rewarding as long as you understand the limits of the platform. It probably won't shoot the 1/4moa groups of a custom bolt gun, but you'd be surprised how well you can do with a quality gas gun. All you're doing is throwing whatever flavor of 77gr matchkings you prefer in the mag, and heading to the range once you have your optic and bipod set up.

Hank6046
09-15-23, 23:28
The DD MK12 is a good gun but for almost the same money I would go with a PRI or www.precisionreflex.com upper rather than the DD, that PRI upper is a lights out shooter, and I've maybe put 100rds through my buddies PRI, a criterion barrel (which I shot 168GR GMM BTHP) just doesn't match the precision of the that Douglas Barrel in my personal experience, and for comparing 556 to 762 Nato that is saying something.

BobinNC
09-16-23, 10:36
I think just about any Mil-spec upper and lower, with any one of 10 to 15 quality handguards can do as well, plus the addition of a non wobbly buttstock for proper cheekweld. The two really critical components for Mk12 accuracy are: The barrel and the trigger. So spend your money on something like a Centurion Arms MK12 barrel and a Geissele trigger like the SSA-E or SD-E and call it good. So we are talking about $750. alone for barrel and trigger. Putting together the rest of the rifle for just under $1K should be doable. Beating the DD price by about $500. to $600 and coming out with a equally accurate and functional firearm is possible.

Resale value on the DD is likely to be higher, but then it starts out higher as well.

Optics play a big part but not for this discussion.

sinister
09-18-23, 21:56
I think just about any Mil-spec upper and lower, with any one of 10 to 15 quality handguards can do as well, plus the addition of a non wobbly buttstock for proper cheekweld. The two really critical components for Mk12 accuracy are: The barrel and the trigger... Nailed it.

There are lots of variations on the theme -- but that's the common thread and DNA (besides precision ammo) that makes the AR such a formidable battle tool.

Stickman
09-19-23, 09:18
Personally, when I want a precision setup, I now grab Centurion Arms MK12 barrels and use them. I know that if I build using that as a foundation, it will shoot.

I'm also playing with a BCM Match Grade barreled upper (FDE MK12) and enjoying that as well. I need to record some groups to get something official for how good that barrel is doing.

B Cart
09-19-23, 09:39
For a similar price you can get a complete MK12 from PRI or Centurion Arms that will both probably give you better accuracy than the DD. Not that there is anything wrong with the DD, but the PRI and Centurion barrels are known for superb accuracy.

eric0311
09-19-23, 09:49
Personally, when I want a precision setup, I now grab Centurion Arms MK12 barrels and use them. I know that if I build using that as a foundation, it will shoot.

I'm also playing with a BCM Match Grade barreled upper (FDE MK12) and enjoying that as well. I need to record some groups to get something official for how good that barrel is doing.

Are you using the 1-7 BCM match barrel? How is the accuracy so far?

Stickman
09-19-23, 10:11
Are you using the 1-7 BCM match barrel? How is the accuracy so far?

It seems very good, but I really need to get group sizings with a few different ammo weights and see what it looks like on paper.

I need to update this pic, but here is how it used to look...

https://64.media.tumblr.com/014cbb3743c1f6ff3820b85b849c1dec/4ffaf46583a6098f-cc/s1280x1920/fe2f3cafbbe5c30b00aee3b0d46017da596ea624.jpg

OldGrayGuy
09-21-23, 16:03
Not trying to derail the thread but wanted to ask Stick his take on the B5 precision stock? Some time ago I heard internet rumor that it wasn't unheard of for the cheek piece to have some wobble, curious to know if it was significant enough to matter. Was looking to mount one on a DDV5 18" or possibly a 18" White Oak SPR upper.

MegademiC
09-21-23, 22:30
So my buddy and I built 16" precision ARs.
I used a larue barrel and trigger, he has a rainier UM barrel and one of the "enhanced" gi triggers (maybe sionics).

Both are around 1moa. His actually seems to be a little more accurate, but I havent done groups on paper with his yet.

Just some things to consider. Centurions reputation is really good... but I got a killer deal on my larue barrel and getting 1st rounds hits at 675yds consistently when I do my part.

All comes down to what you want for the money... ours are trainer guns so budget was a big factor, but performance is not lacking.