PDA

View Full Version : Government Shutdown

AndyLate
09-24-23, 07:19
It's heartbreaking that the millions of federal workers may be forced to take a couple days off and maybe even have the pay they will receive for that time delayed.

Hopefully they will not mess up the servicemembers' pay, some of whom simply cannot afford it.

Andy

Hush
09-24-23, 07:34
A true government shutdown would be the best thing that ever happened to this country. Unfortunately this is just political games

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

ChattanoogaPhil
09-24-23, 07:48
I'm fine with it. As a recipient of Social Security (both me and my wife) I say stop those payments too. There is no so-called lockbox... the money is all gone plus $33 trillion in debt. Time for America to get a self-reliance reality check.

ViniVidivici
09-24-23, 08:04
A true government shutdown would be the best thing that ever happened to this country. Unfortunately this is just political games

This.

/thread.

ABNAK
09-24-23, 08:12
It's heartbreaking that the millions of federal workers may be forced to take a couple days off and maybe even have the pay they will receive for that time delayed.

Hopefully they will not mess up the servicemembers' pay, some of whom simply cannot afford it.

Andy

Uh not all Federal workers get sent home. Some will be expected to continue to work with the promise of pay down the road. So some do get a free vacation but the rest don't.

Hush
09-24-23, 08:46
Then they should stay home, or work without a paycheck until they get so pissed off they revolt. It's time some people get pushed to the breaking point.

prepare
09-24-23, 08:53
What about the air traffic controllers? Will they stay home and shut down the entire airline industry? Very doubtful.

Hush
09-24-23, 08:56
Would be great if they did. We keep slapping bandaids on an arterial bleed and pretending it's fine. We know the government is corrupt and broken, and we know we'll never be able to vote our way out of this. The best chance this country has to right itself is a hard break and a hard reset.

Averageman
09-24-23, 09:05
My understanding is that a Continuing Resolution does nothing to address our Government Spending, the push from some in the House seems to be for a line by line accounting of all goivernment spending.
I can't do a Continuing Resolution on my personal budget because it is wasteful and irresponcable. So why wouldn't I want my Government to account for where every dollar goes?
Also, this does much to control out of control agencies.
If you own the purse you own the budget and where dollars are spent, therefore you owe it to everyone to account for those dollars.

prepare
09-24-23, 09:30
Would be great if they did. We keep slapping bandaids on an arterial bleed and pretending it's fine. We know the government is corrupt and broken, and we know we'll never be able to vote our way out of this. The best chance this country has to right itself is a hard break and a hard reset.

I think thats what will happen between now and November 2024. We see it happening already little by little and then it's going to go all at once. No doubt it will be a catastrophic event.
Thats when they'll try to role out the CBDC.

ryr8828
09-24-23, 11:23
I'm fine with it. As a recipient of Social Security (both me and my wife) I say stop those payments too. There is no so-called lockbox... the money is all gone plus $33 trillion in debt. Time for America to get a self-reliance reality check.

I say a big NO to that and I also say that anyone who would propose such a thing is a clown.

It's also the best way to ensure that democrats and liberals take over all aspects of government for a long time which involves losing the 2A.

markm
09-24-23, 13:54
Same charade paraded out on the news for the clueless mongoloid public again and again. Most of the shit for brains worried about this have some handout from the gubment as their interest.

ChattanoogaPhil
09-24-23, 14:00
I say a big NO to that and I also say that anyone who would propose such a thing is a clown.

It's also the best way to ensure that democrats and liberals take over all aspects of government for a long time which involves losing the 2A.

I'm sure lots of folks suckling on the government nipple would agree with you... big NO. However, the notion that we must continue paying money from that which does not exist, heaping more and more debt upon the backs of younger generations else risk democrats taking over more aspects of government is hardly a persuasive argument.

Those who may find it difficult to survive absent a government check should seek assistance from family, friends and church or other charitable institutions.

grizzman
09-24-23, 14:01
How is this year different from last year and previous years?

Hush
09-24-23, 14:16

It's also the best way to ensure that democrats and liberals take over all aspects of government for a long time which involves losing the 2A.That's always the RINO argument....we must struggle maintain the status quo otherwise the Democrats will take over and get rid of the 2A. They've ALREADY taken over. The current pro wrestling match of political parties we have is an illusion. There's only 2 real sides here US and THEM. Our rights are eroded daily. There's a massive wealth transfer occuring removing money from our pockets and filling theirs. It's time to let things get very uncomfortable for us, so we get pissed enough to make it uncomfortable for them.

AndyLate
09-24-23, 14:46
Uh not all Federal workers get sent home. Some will be expected to continue to work with the promise of pay down the road. So some do get a free vacation but the rest don't.

That's true, out of the millions of federal employees, something less than 10% are required for the country to function and they need to work. Unless the government collapses, they will still be paid, perhaps later than promised.

Andy

Pacific5th
09-24-23, 14:51
About this time last year the class 1 RR workers were ready to walk off the job. But nope, the government, Biden, the dems and the republicans said it would be too damaging to bring traffic to a stop. It would ruin the whole country. It was our time, our best shot at a decent contract. Well whatever we had a shit contract passed on to us so we did t damage the country. But hey it’s OK if the government does it to themselves right? This is one of the many reasons I hate the hypocrites on both sides of the isle.

All that being said the spending is out of control, and both sides are responsible. They only time I see the republicans care about the debt and spending is when the Dems are in control. I laugh my ass off when a Republican mentions “fiscal responsibility”. I’d like to see some true effort to pay down and reduce the debt, can someone wake me up when that happens for real?

JDH1
09-24-23, 18:23
What about the air traffic controllers? Will they stay home and shut down the entire airline industry? Very doubtful.

Or the agency I Retired from, Federal Bureau of Prisons. Some idiots continuously spout this nonsense without having a clue of the consequences.

jsbhike
09-24-23, 18:33
About this time last year the class 1 RR workers were ready to walk off the job. But nope, the government, Biden, the dems and the republicans said it would be too damaging to bring traffic to a stop. It would ruin the whole country. It was our time, our best shot at a decent contract. Well whatever we had a shit contract passed on to us so we did t damage the country. But hey it’s OK if the government does it to themselves right? This is one of the many reasons I hate the hypocrites on both sides of the isle.

All that being said the spending is out of control, and both sides are responsible. They only time I see the republicans care about the debt and spending is when the Dems are in control. I laugh my ass off when a Republican mentions “fiscal responsibility”. I’d like to see some true effort to pay down and reduce the debt, can someone wake me up when that happens for real?

ABNAK
09-24-23, 19:24

Okay, but I get to withdraw my retirement funds without taxes. Oh wait, that won't work? Then f**k your idea. Common sense tells you that when the music stops and you need to find a chair that you better damned well find one. To tell me that I have been the chosen one to "take one for the team" can be shoved right up whoever's ass is proposing it.

Diamondback
09-24-23, 19:39
That's always the RINO argument....we must struggle maintain the status quo otherwise the Democrats will take over and get rid of the 2A. They've ALREADY taken over. The current pro wrestling match of political parties we have is an illusion. There's only 2 real sides here US and THEM. Our rights are eroded daily. There's a massive wealth transfer occuring removing money from our pockets and filling theirs. It's time to let things get very uncomfortable for us, so we get pissed enough to make it uncomfortable for them.

THIS. When I was a kid being taught political strategy by the local pols alongside their own kids, we were taught that the two sides are not Left/Right but Have Power/Have Not and the way to KEEP power was to play the Have Nots against each other so they'd be too busy to turn their torches and pitchforks on US. If you gotten a TEA Partier and an Occupier to sit down and LISTEN to each other's concerns and explain their own without tossing any barbs you'd have found that the two had a lot of common beefs against the cronyist system of Big Finane, Big Gov and all the other Bigs in bed with each other trading favors.

As I explained it on a local site:

Precisely as the Establishment Left taught me to do when they were grooming me to be a chessmaster alongside their own children.

The Political Compass is less a square than a diamond, like so...

Authoritarians/Elite (Them/formerly me under their influence too)
^
|
|
|
Extreme Left<------------------------------>Extreme Right
|
|
|
V
Everybody Else

See, the game for the top is to gaslight as many of us at the bottom as they can, drive us into the other two corners and at each other's throats so we leave them alone to impose their agenda on us unresisted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5ZSDCvUwN8

AndyLate
09-24-23, 19:57
Or the agency I Retired from, Federal Bureau of Prisons. Some idiots continuously spout this nonsense without having a clue of the consequences.

And the media is making it sound like millions of federal employees will be homeless and standing in the soup line if the Govt shuts down for a week. It sucks, truly sucks, for the workers on the bottom of the pay scale. I have lived hand to mouth before and an extra week causes real hardship. Balance that against the significant benefits of federal employment.

Andy

Diamondback
09-24-23, 20:09
And the media is making it sound like millions of federal employees will be homeless and standing in the soup line if the Govt shuts down for a week. It sucks, truly sucks, for the workers on the bottom of the pay scale. I have lived hand to mouth before and an extra week causes real hardship. Balance that against the significant benefits of federal employment.

Andy

Not OUR fault if with those fat perks the GS-whatever's can't have the financial discipline to live below their means and put a little aside for a Rainy Day Fund...

AndyLate
09-24-23, 20:53
Not OUR fault if with those fat perks the GS-whatever's can't have the financial discipline to live below their means and put a little aside for a Rainy Day Fund...

Cannot really expect a GS4 to put away a paycheck just in case. Now a GS-13 here in N Alabama makes up to just shy of $133K, so less sympathy there...

Andy

Diamondback
09-24-23, 21:32
Cannot really expect a GS4 to put away a paycheck just in case. Now a GS-13 here in N Alabama makes up to just shy of $133K, so less sympathy there...

Andy

True, just starting out I wouldn't expect an entire paycheck socked away all at once, but that doesn't mean they can't skip a couple Starbucks crapoccinos and maybe skip that New Hotness Cellphone and set that aside every month in a savings account, then once the fund is built up start rolling it into CD's. Something like start at the minimum dollar amount and term the bank offers, then each month take out another and set them up with a rolling pattern where ideally you have one coming due for "cash out or reinvest" every month. Maybe not a full paycheck worth, but the goal would be have at least enough salted away that each month you're getting enough to over the bills if you need it.

utahjeepr
09-24-23, 22:33
Not a .gov employee but a contractor. Already been deemed essential if there is a shutdown. No vacay for me. The federal employees providing oversight might not be working, but we will.

Essential .gov employees like air traffic controllers, prison guards, etc still go to work. They may not get their check on time but they will get paid.

Diamondback
09-25-23, 04:48
Not a .gov employee but a contractor. Already been deemed essential if there is a shutdown. No vacay for me. The federal employees providing oversight might not be working, but we will.

Essential .gov employees like air traffic controllers, prison guards, etc still go to work. They may not get their check on time but they will get paid.

And I'll bet you'll get more done--Skunk Works stealth guru Ben Rich once observed that the engines for USAF KC-10s cost 20-30% more than their identical civilian DC-10 counterparts JUST from the army of inspectors swarming the former's line like human ants.

SteyrAUG
09-25-23, 05:10
We mismanaged our nations GDP and various citizen taxes so badly that once again we are out of money before the year is up.

We hope that in the spirit of communism, the have nots will simply force the haves to part with their ill gotten gains. This is preferable to us than keeping government spending within the confines of a budget.

Continue to vote democrat, we will look the other way as the FSA makes even greater demands.

Diamondback
09-25-23, 09:38
Simple way to fix this: pass a Constitutional amendment stating simply that "Should Congress be unable to pass a balanced budget, ALL current Congressmembers are permanently ineligible for future Federal elected or appointed office."

Hush
09-25-23, 09:40
I love it, but I don't think you get it. They don't work for us, they don't have any obligation to us. They're supposed to. But they really don't, do you think the Bidens and Pelosi's have been continually elected for 30 years on their merits?. THERE IS NO VOTING OUR WAY OUT OF THIS.

prepare
09-25-23, 09:53
I love it, but I don't think you get it. They don't work for us, they don't have any obligation to us. They're supposed to. But they really don't, do you think the Bidens and Pelosi's have been continually elected for 30 years on their merits?. THERE IS NO VOTING OUR WAY OUT OF THIS.

Spot on!

The office of the presidency has been captured and yet people still want to play along and believe votes mean something.

Artos
09-25-23, 10:08
The 2024 elections are going to be fireworks...not even going to fathom what sorta nonsense will happen in this clown show as they get closer & closer.

ChattanoogaPhil
09-25-23, 10:09
Washington is going to spend as much as voters allow. And if voters/taxpayers don't have to pay the bill they have little motivation to stop Washington's deficit spending. To the contrary, they'll want more spending as long as they believe they won't have to pay for it.

Ya want deficit spending to stop? Shove the bill down the taxpayer's throat. That's right, take $1.5 trillion dollar deficit spending this year, divide it by about 170 million taxpayers, and send each one an invoice for what their government spent beyond federal tax receipts. Only then will the people be motivated to put the brakes on Washington spending.

$1.5T (2023 deficit) / 170m taxpayers = $8,800 each, or $17,600 for a working couple.

Ya think sending $150 billion to Ukraine isn't much? Send every working couple an invoice for $1,760 payable to Zelensky and see what happens.

Of course the above is an oversimplification, but if Americans aren't forced to pay for what their government spends there will be no end to piling up debt. $33 trillion and counting...

HKGuns
09-25-23, 10:12
Isn't "Democracy" great!

- Yet another fake .Gov shut-down dominating the fake news cycle
- UAW strike in full bloom
- Inflation rampant across all sectors
- Energy prices intentionally skyrocketing
- Stock market in the toilet for the last 3 years
- War raging in Ukraine sucking Billions we don't have
- Railway strike averted by Government mandated contract
- Yet we are told and some on here parrot the "Trump was just HORRIBLE." :suicide2:

Hard to fathom the mentality of people who say they would still support XiDen over Trump.

At least I have a few large Annuities locked in at over 6%.

prepare
09-25-23, 11:17
Isn't "Democracy" great!

- Yet another fake .Gov shut-down dominating the fake news cycle
- UAW strike in full bloom
- Inflation rampant across all sectors
- Energy prices intentionally skyrocketing
- Stock market in the toilet for the last 3 years
- War raging in Ukraine sucking Billions we don't have
- Railway strike averted by Government mandated contract
- Yet we are told and some on here parrot the "Trump was just HORRIBLE." :suicide2:

Hard to fathom the mentality of people who say they would still support XiDen over Trump.

At least I have a few large Annuities locked in at over 6%.

People don't want a president, they want a Messiah and let's not forget that even the Messiah wasn't good enough for the people and so they killed him.

ChattanoogaPhil
09-25-23, 12:19
I'm with Trump. Get the spending cuts or shut it down. Otherwise, we'll soon be forced to shut down anyway due to economic collapse. I don't think the proposed spending cuts alone are near enough to confront these massive deficits, but it's at least a move in the correct direction. Then shove the balance of unpaid spending down the throats of taxpayers until they choke and demand dramatic changes in spending. $33 trillion and counting...

9/24 Trump

“The Republicans lost big on Debt Ceiling, got NOTHING, and now are worried that they will be BLAMED for the Budget Shutdown. Wrong!!! Whoever is President will be blamed,” Trump wrote in the post, adding: “UNLESS YOU GET EVERYTHING, SHUT IT DOWN! Close the Border, stop the Weaponization of ‘Justice,’ and End Election Interference.”

lowprone
09-25-23, 13:02
When you plan on being a doormat don't be surprised when you get stepped on !

Disciple
09-25-23, 14:49
THIS. When I was a kid being taught political strategy by the local pols alongside their own kids, we were taught that the two sides are not Left/Right but Have Power/Have Not and the way to KEEP power was to play the Have Nots against each other so they'd be too busy to turn their torches and pitchforks on US.

Crabs in a bucket.

Diamondback
09-25-23, 14:54
Crabs in a bucket.

*Doc Holliday voice* "Indeed, suh."

glocktogo
09-25-23, 16:05

My PIV card has a red stripe across the bottom. Pay or not, there will be no vacation for me. Oh well, it wouldn't be the first time. :(

BTW, there's only one way left to stop this, if anyone even cares anymore. It wouldn't bother me one bit if The People rose up to slip the yoke of bondage. I'll help them, then go find something else to do.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.timetoast.com/public/uploads/photo/16859596/image/6ed67953c15341cbb45fe341679ca05b

Hush
09-26-23, 07:27
Listening to morning talk radio fretting about the possibility of McCarthy getting pushed out over the spending bill. The entire Republican strategy is always "we need to eat shit now, otherwise we're going to be forced to eat shit later.". Only we always end up eating shit now, and there's always more shit for us to eat later. Shut it down, both sides are broken, it's time to really really destroy this monstrosity.