PDA

View Full Version : Colt LE6940P

Bret
09-24-23, 16:33
I recently purchased a used Colt LE6940P. I got it because I like variety and failed to buy one years ago because I was being logical. I've since learned not to do that because interesting things become unavailable eventually. At any rate, is there anything in particular that I should know about this rifle. I'm not at all looking to get into a piston vs DI debate. I appreciate pretty much all gun designs. I just want to know if there's anything odd about this rifle that might trip me up. Since I'm anal retentive and like my rifles to look newish, who would you recommend for a restoration to get the finish back to like it looked when it shipped from the factory?

https://i.postimg.cc/X7zqk4nz/LE6940-P-left-view.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/52Q0PT0N/LE6940-P-right-view.jpg

Stickman
09-24-23, 16:54
They never looked fresh and sparkly from the factory. If you want a deep black or blackish color, spray oil all over and set it in the sun. Wipe it off once its had a chance to soak in.

ABNAK
09-24-23, 18:08
I used to have one, never fired it, traded up to something else. One thing I would have looked for would be a longer handguard than the carbine length one on there now. Surely with a cut-out for the FSB they could have made one (haven't looked, maybe they do?).

Bret
09-24-23, 18:29
They never looked fresh and sparkly from the factory. If you want a deep black or blackish color, spray oil all over and set it in the sun. Wipe it off once its had a chance to soak in.
It actually looks better in the pictures than it does in real life. The reason that I want to have it refinished is that the finish is missing from most of the high points.

DoubleW
09-24-23, 18:44
Use alumablack to touch up the high spots or have it cerakoted in armor black. I had a beautiful 870 Police SBS done in armor black & its beautiful. It’s extremely durable as well. I’ve got quite a few rounds through it & it looks new.

Bret
09-24-23, 18:58
I've never used Alumablack, so I'll give it a try. Perhaps it will improve it enough to satisfy me.

HKGuns
09-24-23, 19:24
Every bench with an AR15 should have AL black. Stuff is awesome.

Do the AL black first, then do what stick suggested.

Make sure you read the directions carefully; de-grease with alcohol first, then rinse the AL black off with water after its had time to work for 1 minute to ensure it is fully neutralized.