PDA

View Full Version : NYC turns to robots for its security

WillBrink
09-26-23, 11:31
As a surprise to no one, the time of robots to take over the jobs of human beings is happening. Especially when there's less people willing/able to do the job, and or the robot will saves $. If either of those asre a factor, expect robots to show up. Two, Places run by left leaning types, such as London, NYC, etc, always think yet more surveillance is the answer to increasing crime. No doubt, if this pilot program is a "success" there will be many more added:

"The New York Police Department (NYPD) is implementing a new security measure at the Times Square subway station. It's deploying a security robot to patrol the premises, which authorities say is meant to "keep you safe." We're not talking about a RoboCop-like machine or any human-like biped robot — the K5, which was made by California-based company Knightscope, looks like a massive version of R2-D2. Albert Fox Cahn, the executive director of privacy rights group Surveillance Technology Oversight Project, has a less flattering description for it, though: He told The New York Times that it's like a "trash can on wheels."

K5 weighs 420 pounds and is equipped with four cameras that can record video but not audio. As you can guess from the image above, the machine also doesn't come with arms — it didn't quite ignore Mayor Eric Adams' attempt at making a heart. The robot will patrol the station from midnight until 6AM throughout its trial run that's scheduled to run over the next two months. But K5 won't be doing full patrols for a while, since it's spending its first two weeks mapping out the station and roaming only the main areas and not the platforms.

It's not quite clear if NYPD's machine will be livestreaming its camera footage, and if law enforcement will be keeping an eye on what it captures. Adams said during the event introducing the robot that it will "record video that can be reviewed in case of an emergency or a crime." It apparently won't be using facial recognition, though Cahn is concerned that the technology could eventually be incorporated into the machine.

https://www.engadget.com/an-nypd-security-robot-will-be-patrolling-the-times-square-subway-station-130029937.html?utm_placement=newsletter

Hush
09-26-23, 11:35
Can't wait till someone pushes it onto the tracks. Should take about 5 minutes.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

WillBrink
09-26-23, 11:43

It's almost 500lbs and squat, so will see how that goes, but covering your face, just walk up and spray paint the lenses, etc. Throw rope over it and tie it off to a beam, etc. NYC criminals etc are always creative there. The $ shot, literally:

"New York City is leasing K5 for around $9 an hour for the next two months. The mayor sounds convinced that's worth what the robot can do even though, as The Times notes, he recently ordered several agencies to reduce spending by 15 percent. "This is below minimum wage," he said. "No bathroom breaks, no meal breaks." Adams has a history of supporting the use of machines as police tools."

flenna
09-26-23, 12:24
Maybe they can live stream the video footage so we can watch crime in real time, maybe even charge viewers a small monthly fee. That would be much better than waiting for shaky cell phone footage to show up on Twitter.

Adrenaline_6
09-26-23, 12:27
Knightscope robots have so many fails in the security world, who did they blow to get this sold to NY? It fell in a fountain and "drowned" itself and also ran over a kid.

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-26-23, 13:32

Yep. When is the fleet back in town?

https://www.pcmag.com/news/us-marines-use-cardboard-box-to-defeat-darpa-robot-trained-to-detect-humans

ChattanoogaPhil
09-26-23, 14:26
$9 million camera on wheels, why? Criminals seem more than willing to take video of their crimes and post them on the Net for free.

Hush
09-26-23, 14:48
Why would they want to document what they're unwilling to prosecute?

SteyrAUG
09-26-23, 18:26
Why would they want to document what they're unwilling to prosecute?

A tourist might have a concealed handgun.

Hush
09-26-23, 18:47
A tourist might have a concealed handgun.They do spend a lot of effort on that!

SteyrAUG
09-26-23, 18:56
They do spend a lot of effort on that!

Gotta keep NYC safe. If not for those "tourists" it would be virtually crime free ya know.

ViniVidivici
09-27-23, 00:01
So, I guess seeing this idiotic contraption roaming around is supposed to make the Eloi feel safer?

At least give us the robotic cops from Elysium so they can crack some crackhead skulls!

In all seriousness, absolutely pathetic idea, but par for the course for this particular breed of retard which seems to control more and more of our society every day.

Jellybean
09-27-23, 13:06
Well, there's only one logical chain of events this leads too:

https://westernrifleshooters.us/wp-content/uploads/2023/09/thumbnail_IMG_2687-768x1271.jpg

:laugh:

https://westernrifleshooters.us/wp-content/uploads/2023/09/thumbnail_IMG_2686.jpg
Don't worry though, it'll still be the safest city like, evar.
I hear their tap water is the best too.

Adrenaline_6
09-27-23, 15:24
The new job that NYPD gives to their f*ckups will be to guard the K5.

gaijin
09-28-23, 16:48
So, will the Robots Programmers be the ones held accountable for the inevitable RACISM?

Diamondback
09-28-23, 17:09
Seems to me it's not really that far a leap from K5 to these guys:
https://swsca-production.s3.amazonaws.com/ckeditor_assets/pictures/2008/content_terminator_3-048.jpg?1374108721

SteyrAUG
09-28-23, 18:01
Seems to me it's not really that far a leap from K5 to these guys:
https://swsca-production.s3.amazonaws.com/ckeditor_assets/pictures/2008/content_terminator_3-048.jpg?1374108721

Except the K5 is more likely to get covered by an aluminum blanket, stolen and harvested for any valuable components.

Diamondback
09-28-23, 18:33
Except the K5 is more likely to get covered by an aluminum blanket, stolen and harvested for any valuable components.

True. A really dark, cynical part of me suspects that's the PLAN, when the "benign" K5's start getting trashed it's time to roll out the Terminators. Oops, seems they're under Skynet's control not ours...

sgtrock82
09-28-23, 18:56
ED-209!

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk

SpecWired
09-28-23, 19:14
My expectations are different...

SteyrAUG
09-28-23, 21:12
True. A really dark, cynical part of me suspects that's the PLAN, when the "benign" K5's start getting trashed it's time to roll out the Terminators. Oops, seems they're under Skynet's control not ours...

So long as it gets trialed in Chicago first.