PDA

View Full Version : How did individual officer sales work in during the 94 ban?

toasterlocker
01-04-09, 07:57
I'm wondering, if a new ban looks anything like the old ban, will I still be able to purchase things like 30 round mags and personally own them as a police officer? I'm not looking to take advantage of my position, but I'm concerned I won't be able to get the stuff I need/want in time, and my department isn't always the best about providing stuff (I paid for and personally own my duty gun, for example.)

Possum 20
01-04-09, 08:21
Under the old ban to buy prohibited items you had to have a dept letterhead I believe. Personally I would expect this to continue, they just might not let you keep it when you retire, but who knows. Politicians at the top might understand that gun control makes their party lose and not push anything. Right now that is our best bet and where our energy needs to be focused.

Dan Goodwin
01-04-09, 09:57
We had a difficult time getting 12-shot magazines for our newly purchased SIG 229s in 1996. They were only shipping the guns with 10-rounders and it was a major hassle getting higher caps.

I am happy Obama's election has energized and pumped capital into the gun business, and hopeful that if he's smart he'll wait four more years before fiddling with gun control issues. The Republican Revolution taught the few smart Democrats a powerful lesson back in 1994.

markm
01-04-09, 11:58
The old ban was no biggie for cops. If your dept doesn't want to give you letterhead.... there's other ways to get stuff. I got all kinds of LE mags and such during the ban through various channels. Don't sweat it.

ST911
01-04-09, 21:37
I'm wondering, if a new ban looks anything like the old ban, will I still be able to purchase things like 30 round mags and personally own them as a police officer? I'm not looking to take advantage of my position, but I'm concerned I won't be able to get the stuff I need/want in time, and my department isn't always the best about providing stuff (I paid for and personally own my duty gun, for example.)

Anything on a new ban is conjecture and speculation. That being said:

It's likely that any new legislation will include exemptions for HCAFDs and SAWs, for agencies and officers. In such an event, deadline each and every old mag, replace with new restricted mags. Dispose of as you wish.

Agency armorers should do the same.

Look around for agencies without a clue. Some folks made quite a bit of money buying out their pre-ban gear and replacing it with new.