PDA

View Full Version : How to buy a suppressor in 2023 (commercial side)

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-28-23, 14:42
Not really looking for a NFA paper work issues- there seems to be a lot of resources on that.

I’m looking more for : I’m sitting at home and I want a suppressor. And…

Online versus Local store: A local store rarely has the exact gun I want, so I assume that they won’t have what I want. And how do you know what is in stock at local stores- I haven’t seen them usually listed on websites. I guess I’m lucky here in CO that there are a lot of dealers that sell them- but that is a lot of places to go looking for what I want. Is there ‘Bud’s guns’ of suppressors?
What I want: I guess there are a lot of resources on first suppressor buys. I actually am looking for one for my MP5s, ARs (in 300, 556, and 7.62), a long range rifle one for 6.5C (but might as well get one rated for 300WIN), one for 9mm handgun, and one for 22lr (rifle shooting). Probably in that order. Probably get the first two now. I’m not a huge fan of one-for-all. I’ve never really done it with ARs- I build what I want and it stays that way.

On the which ones- I’ve tried to read reviews and watch videos, but I have to say, it is hard as crap to figure out what is what. I’m also not looking for the cheapest either. Where is the current best place to research them? I start watching vids and they are 5 years old, and sometimes you can’t even tell when an online article was written, and forum posts are usually not actual comparisions, just discussions about a single model.

I know some re-hash here, but I’ve never seen something about the buying/sourcing side because of the focus on paperwork.

mig1nc
09-28-23, 14:55
I hate to recite a commercial, but Silencer Shop really does make it easy, or at least a lot easier than any other place I’ve seen.

Interestingly I did buy a new can last year from an LGS that was also a Silencer Shop affiliate dealer. So I was able to use their kiosk and what-not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Inkslinger
09-28-23, 15:08
I’ll throw another vote towards Silencer Shop. Did all the paperwork on my phone and went to one of their kiosks for my prints. I’ve also heard good things about Capital Armory as well. I think they have a similar system to SS.

09-28-23, 15:35
I use Silencershop for the paperwork. Sometimes I order direct from the Mfgr or from a site that has it on sale. They send it to my “powered by Silencershop” SOT dealer. I pay a $20 transfer fee when I do that, which may vary but I think SS sets a maximum. Or maybe that only applies to their website, dunno. Anyway, it shows up, I get a call, click a few things on the internet, and then wait.

I’ve used Capitol Armory for SBRs, and am happy with that experience.

Dutch110
09-28-23, 16:32
I feel your pain. Buying a can solely based on online research is tough. NFA Review Channel on YouTube has some good reviews and good sounds quality. Pew Science has a measuring and ranking protocol that some love, some hate. I found it to be one in a sea of data points to consider (I will say that of the cans I own, their performance does mimic the Pew Science ranking when compared to each other.)

I was and am extremely lucky in that my LGS is a Silencer Shop platinum shop and also has indoor ranges. And rentals. And employees who are more than happy to demo their personal cans for you. Even then, I didn't get my first can exactly right. While I still like it if I had it to do over again I would have bought something else. That first can I bought while sitting in the airport waiting for a flight using SilencerShop. When I got home I went to the shop and got my prints scanned digitally and away we go (I also had a passport photo on my phone which helped.) But it is that easy. Now I just either have my LGS get the can or I buy direct from SS and it ships to them.

prepare
09-28-23, 19:33
I would get a flow through and just have it shipped to your preferred class 3 for the transfer. Huxwrx just released another one in their flow through lineup called the Venom.

If you have a preferred place that does class 3 transfers they do all the paperwork for you so its no more involved than normal gun purchase except for providing a passport photo, finger prints, and waiting a few months.

With the flow through you're not eating toxic gasses and it doesn't mess up the performance of the gun.

Defaultmp3
09-28-23, 22:02
FWIW, it seems like the SureFire RC3 is getting closer to release; I've seen alleged copies of the marketing fact sheet, and it claims to be a flowthrough design (claims of 60% reduction in backpressure) while maintaining the same size, weight, and attachment, which tracks given all the rumors.

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-29-23, 01:17
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the low-noise answers and relevant insights.

mig1nc
09-29-23, 08:21
FWIW, it seems like the SureFire RC3 is getting closer to release; I've seen alleged copies of the marketing fact sheet, and it claims to be a flowthrough design (claims of 60% reduction in backpressure) while maintaining the same size, weight, and attachment, which tracks given all the rumors.

I’ve heard it’s going to be pricey though.

Dutch110
09-29-23, 09:21
I’ve heard it’s going to be pricey though.

Saw street prices in the 1400 ish range.

crosseyedshooter
09-29-23, 10:03
My first foray into suppressors consisted of DeadAir Sandman S, Sandman K and Wolfman. Those theoretically cover me for pretty much every centerfire caliber up to .300 RUM (Win Mag, etc.). I ordered all three through my local FFL, who did the paperwork, and had them home after 9-10 months.

The reality of suppressors quickly became apparent to me. I shoot lefty, and gas blow back was an issue even on my piston ARs. The Sandman S had noticeably more gas out the ejection port than the Sandman K. The Sandman K, although reducing concussion, didn’t sound like I had a suppressor at all on my 11.5”. Adding a pound, or more, to the tip of a rifle really changes the handling.

I now have ordered a Huxwrx Flow 556k and 762Ti from FFL. Guess I’ll see what the latest suppressor trend has to offer, but I’ve learned that suppressors aren’t magical devices and come with a host of compromises. The purchasing process wasn’t difficult, just a long wait. My FFL also allows use of the suppressors while waiting for the tax stamp approval, but I never took him up on that.

georgeib
09-29-23, 10:20
My first foray into suppressors consisted of DeadAir Sandman S, Sandman K and Wolfman. Those theoretically cover me for pretty much every centerfire caliber up to .300 RUM (Win Mag, etc.). I ordered all three through my local FFL, who did the paperwork, and had them home after 9-10 months.

The reality of suppressors quickly became apparent to me. I shoot lefty, and gas blow back was an issue even on my piston ARs. The Sandman S had noticeably more gas out the ejection port than the Sandman K. The Sandman K, although reducing concussion, didn’t sound like I had a suppressor at all on my 11.5”. Adding a pound, or more, to the tip of a rifle really changes the handling.

I now have ordered a Huxwrx Flow 556k and 762Ti from FFL. Guess I’ll see what the latest suppressor trend has to offer, but I’ve learned that suppressors aren’t magical devices and come with a host of compromises. The purchasing process wasn’t difficult, just a long wait. My FFL also allows use of the suppressors while waiting for the tax stamp approval, but I never took him up on that.

The HuxWrx cans will be a game changer for you. They suppress supersonics very well, and the gas advantages are real. Depending on your expectations, you won't consider them "quiet" out of an 11.5, but they will both be noticeably better than the Sandman K.

Dutch110
09-29-23, 11:28
You're not the first person I heard having that experience with the Sandman K. One buddy said it was about the equivalent of having a blast can on his SBR. Not sure I would call it that bad but definitely not impressive.

crosseyedshooter
09-29-23, 13:24
You're not the first person I heard having that experience with the Sandman K. One buddy said it was about the equivalent of having a blast can on his SBR. Not sure I would call it that bad but definitely not impressive.

Yes, the Sandman K from a weight and size standpoint is where I’d like to be for a suppressor but the suppression is barely noticeable on an 11.5” 5.56. I’d call it “acceptable” suppression on a 14.5” barrel. It does have very low back pressure.

These are precisely the reasons why I’m interested in the Flow 556k.

09-29-23, 13:46
Yes, the Sandman K from a weight and size standpoint is where I’d like to be for a suppressor but the suppression is barely noticeable on an 11.5” 5.56. I’d call it “acceptable” suppression on a 14.5” barrel. It does have very low back pressure.

These are precisely the reasons why I’m interested in the Flow 556k.

Are you looking at the Flow because you want the super low backpressure, or because you’re looking for a better performing can than the Sandman K with the same footprint, maybe lighter?

Dutch110
09-29-23, 15:57
One of the guys at the shop got in a Flow 5.56. Hoping he has it mounted up this weekend because I really want to hear what it sounds like. My Polo K is still in jail there so maybe getting a comparison is in the cards. Basic baffle design can in the OCL and the new hotness with the Flow 556k on an 11.5 might be good......

georgeib
09-29-23, 16:05
One of the guys at the shop got in a Flow 5.56. Hoping he has it mounted up this weekend because I really want to hear what it sounds like. My Polo K is still in jail there so maybe getting a comparison is in the cards. Basic baffle design can in the OCL and the new hotness with the Flow 556k on an 11.5 might be good......A buddy has a Flow 556k. Shooting it side by side with a HX556 Ti at an indoor range, it hard to distinguish between the 2 with hearing protection. FWIW.

crosseyedshooter
09-29-23, 19:59
Are you looking at the Flow because you want the super low backpressure, or because you’re looking for a better performing can than the Sandman K with the same footprint, maybe lighter?

All of the above. The Flow 556k seems to be about the weight and size of the Sandman K with suppression performance better than the Sandman S. I think the compromise with the Flow 556k is the regular cleaning interval and it's a 556-specific design.

ndmiller
09-30-23, 10:03
I hate to recite a commercial, but Silencer Shop really does make it easy, or at least a lot easier than any other place I’ve seen.

Interestingly I did buy a new can last year from an LGS that was also a Silencer Shop affiliate dealer. So I was able to use their kiosk and what-not.

+1 but will add find a LGS with a range that is also a Silencer Shop Kiosk dealer. This way you can come in and shoot the can while you wait to take possession. Best of all worlds, Silencer Shop inventory availability, Local use while waiting, easy form 4 usage with Kiosk.

Wake27
09-30-23, 10:19
I'm confused by the title of this thread but SF's SOCOM RC3 will be out next month I believe. Weight and length are comparable to the RC2 but apparently much better gas flow properties, though at the cost of sound suppression. Same mounts though that's a huge plus considering the wide availability of SF MDs.

09-30-23, 11:35
All of the above. The Flow 556k seems to be about the weight and size of the Sandman K with suppression performance better than the Sandman S. I think the compromise with the Flow 556k is the regular cleaning interval and it's a 556-specific design.

Better suppression than Sandman S?

I asked about your reasons for wanting the Flow, because there are some other cans in the size range of the Sandman K that sound better, but none are going to be as low backpressure as the Hux.

georgeib
09-30-23, 13:26
Better suppression than Sandman S?

Yes, the Sandman S isn't really all that impressive compared to a lot on other cans. This shows a comparison of a few different suppressors on a MK18.

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/51e6eb1ee4b0878eefe0cd6c/a225783a-e506-40db-8946-36df0b9c4f44/5.56_MK18_suppression_plot_6.92_wm.png?format=2500w

09-30-23, 13:39
No, the Sandman isn’t impressive, but keep in mind that Pew ratings are dosing guidelines, not decibels. With dosing, a shorter duration is favored over loudness sometimes, and flow through cans have a short duration because they don’t trap the gas as long.

I’m not particularly a Sandman fanboy, but I’d be surprised if a Sandman S with 5.56 cap did not have more performance than a Flow 5.56k in the real world, though with more backpressure. I’m still waiting on my buddy’s Flow 5.56k to clear before I can be sure of that via direct side by side comparison, though.

georgeib
09-30-23, 14:06
No, the Sandman isn’t impressive, but keep in mind that Pew ratings are dosing guidelines, not decibels. With dosing, a shorter duration is favored over loudness sometimes, and flow through cans have a short duration because they don’t trap the gas as long.

I’m not particularly a Sandman fanboy, but I’d be surprised if a Sandman S with 5.56 cap did not have more performance than a Flow 5.56k in the real world, though with more backpressure. I’m still waiting on my buddy’s Flow 5.56k to clear before I can be sure of that via direct side by side comparison, though.

Good point. Still though, I suppose from a hearing protection perspective it makes sense that a slightly louder sound over a short duration is less damaging that a slightly quieter one over a comparatively longer duration. From a signature reduction standpoint, does that still hold true, or is it a matter of splitting hairs?

09-30-23, 14:11
From a signature reduction standpoint, no, absolutely not. The quieter can is quieter.

223to45
09-30-23, 15:07
Well just got a email from Griffin about Suppressors to your door.

Apparently they got something setup, to get them delivered straight to you.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

hi-wayman
09-30-23, 15:42
Well just got a email from Griffin about Suppressors to your door.

Apparently they got something setup, to get them delivered straight to you.

The may be going through Silencer Central (https://www.silencercentral.com/). I haven't used them, but their business model seems to be making it easy by providing free NFA gun trusts and front door shipping to every state suppressors are legal.
They make their own suppressors but also sell 14 other brands.

As a side note, I used Silencer Shop in TX and it was easy then. This was before they had their kiosk system or Silencer Central was around.

Defaultmp3
09-30-23, 16:57
From a signature reduction standpoint, no, absolutely not. The quieter can is quieter.Not really. An objectively louder can can provide better signature reduction because signature reduction is subjective in many ways. A lower, but louder tone, can provide better signature reduction than a quieter, but sharper tone for most people.

There's also the question of visual signature reduction; flowthrough cans had a rep for having more of a visual signature, but I don't know if advances in the past few years have made that a moot point.

pag23
10-01-23, 05:18
I just got a Sig SRDX for my 22LR stuff... There was a Sig promo for $200 off the suppressor and the range helped with the prints, paperwork and communicated with any questions.

It took about 180 days from buying it to getting the approval email and it's my first suppressor

10-01-23, 05:32
Not really. An objectively louder can can provide better signature reduction because signature reduction is subjective in many ways. A lower, but louder tone, can provide better signature reduction than a quieter, but sharper tone for most people.

There's also the question of visual signature reduction; flowthrough cans had a rep for having more of a visual signature, but I don't know if advances in the past few years have made that a moot point.
Ah yes, the old “its loud AF, but it’s got a pleasing tone” case.

A lower pitched tone does not make for greater signature reduction. At equal decibels, a lower freq travels further because it goes through things better. When someone with a loud stereo system rolls past your house with their windows down, what do you hear? Vocals or thump? See also 2 vs 4 stroke engines in modern enduro racing.

Don’t confuse signature reduction with a layer of ear protection for the shooter. Signature reduction is what the neighbors notice, or don’t. Or the enemy, in a military scenario.

Defaultmp3
10-01-23, 12:50
A lower pitched tone does not make for greater signature reduction. At equal decibels, a lower freq travels further because it goes through things better. When someone with a loud stereo system rolls past your house with their windows down, what do you hear? Vocals or thump? See also 2 vs 4 stroke engines in modern enduro racing. Signature reduction isn't just about the raw threshold of detection itself, but also about someone's ability to localize where the noise is coming from, whether the noise is recognized as a gunshot, how well that noise is masked or not masked by other ambient noise, etc. Higher pitched sounds are more directional than lower pitched sounds; to expand on your stereo example, that's why you need far fewer subwoofers than non-subwoofer speakers in a home theater system. Thus a lower pitched shot can mask a shooter's position better, and thus provide better signature reduction. A lower pitched report might be easier to be noticed as a noise in general, but it also can be more difficult to recognize as a gunshot; you might be able to pick up the thump of a subwoofer from a car stereo from pretty far, but you may very well not be able to recognize it as a car stereo based off of just that noise.

And none of that addresses the visual signature reduction aspect, which is still a very strong part of signature reduction overall, and is not really linked with the tone or volume of the can.

That's why I would argue against that a louder can is not automatically providing less signature reduction than a quieter can. There are plenty of other factors at play beyond just volume.

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-01-23, 20:56
I'm confused by the title of this thread but SF's SOCOM RC3 will be out next month I believe. Weight and length are comparable to the RC2 but apparently much better gas flow properties, though at the cost of sound suppression. Same mounts though that's a huge plus considering the wide availability of SF MDs.

There are a lot of threads about suppressors, but I wanted to know how the actual FINDING of one to buy works.

hi-wayman
10-01-23, 22:17
There are a lot of threads about suppressors, but I wanted to know how the actual FINDING of one to buy works.

I went through that on my first can as well. I called Silencer Shop and they just talked with me for 20-30 minutes. They asked what I had to suppress, future plans, expectations. They made recommendations on what would work and what they had available. Granted this was a decade ago, but I would be surprised if they don't still do that. Probably any of larger players would also hold your hand through the process.

I'm in TX so my calls would probably be Silencer Shop (https://www.silencershop.com) or Capitol Armory (https://www.capitolarmory.com). I would look at Silencer Central (https://www.silencercentral.com) if I was looking now for the convenience factor alone.

They have become mainstream and lots of online sources. Brownells (https://www.brownells.com/) and G&R Tactical (https://www.gandrtactical.com/Suppressors_c_71.html)are just 2.

Don't forget your local gun store. They may have some or have the ability to get them. I've been surprised by some smaller shops that didn't advertise.

prepare
10-02-23, 03:18
Signature reduction isn't just about the raw threshold of detection itself, but also about someone's ability to localize where the noise is coming from, whether the noise is recognized as a gunshot, how well that noise is masked or not masked by other ambient noise, etc. Higher pitched sounds are more directional than lower pitched sounds; to expand on your stereo example, that's why you need far fewer subwoofers than non-subwoofer speakers in a home theater system. Thus a lower pitched shot can mask a shooter's position better, and thus provide better signature reduction. A lower pitched report might be easier to be noticed as a noise in general, but it also can be more difficult to recognize as a gunshot; you might be able to pick up the thump of a subwoofer from a car stereo from pretty far, but you may very well not be able to recognize it as a car stereo based off of just that noise.

And none of that addresses the visual signature reduction aspect, which is still a very strong part of signature reduction overall, and is not really linked with the tone or volume of the can.

That's why I would argue against that a louder can is not automatically providing less signature reduction than a quieter can. There are plenty of other factors at play beyond just volume.

In terms of visual signature reduction the titanium cans/core seem to produce more flash or sparks than stainless steel.

dont_tread_on_me
10-02-23, 22:10
Ah yes, the old “its loud AF, but it’s got a pleasing tone” case.

A lower pitched tone does not make for greater signature reduction. At equal decibels, a lower freq travels further because it goes through things better. When someone with a loud stereo system rolls past your house with their windows down, what do you hear? Vocals or thump? See also 2 vs 4 stroke engines in modern enduro racing.

Don’t confuse signature reduction with a layer of ear protection for the shooter. Signature reduction is what the neighbors notice, or don’t. Or the enemy, in a military scenario.

I feel like this what the MSM would call true but misleading. The freqs that will pass through a wall aren’t what you’re going to encounter with gunfire - NIH is saying 900-1.5khz.

MegademiC
10-03-23, 05:40

Maybe Im not understanding, but what do you want from it?

Prioritize sound reduction, flash reduction, weight, blowback, length and price.

Example. You want a silencer for hunting with a bolt gun, youll want a quiet titanium can, and blowback is not a concern.

If you want a silencer for a 300blk machinegun, its going to be a lot different.

Whats your end goal?

Once you decide, find a dealer with a good price.
Capital armory, omaha outdoors, and baur(sp?) Precision have been good for me. We can help locate deals too once you decide what you want.

prepare
10-03-23, 16:57
I'm curious if the Huxwrx Venom will produce a low or high pitch with 5.56 and will it throw sparks with the titanium core?

Looking forward to the reviews on this one...

10-03-23, 17:21
I feel like this what the MSM would call true but misleading. The freqs that will pass through a wall aren’t what you’re going to encounter with gunfire - NIH is saying 900-1.5khz.
Speaking of misleading….. are you really trying to claim that gunshot noise doesn’t travel or go through walls?

dont_tread_on_me
10-03-23, 20:48
Most sound can travel through common walls, however, the example given regarding low freqs from a passing car’s stereo is not analogous. The frequencies that _easily_ pass through walls are much lower than what NIH listed for rifle fire.

Hoa
10-07-23, 11:45
Signature reduction isn't just about the raw threshold of detection itself, but also about someone's ability to localize where the noise is coming from, whether the noise is recognized as a gunshot, how well that noise is masked or not masked by other ambient noise, etc. Higher pitched sounds are more directional than lower pitched sounds; to expand on your stereo example, that's why you need far fewer subwoofers than non-subwoofer speakers in a home theater system. Thus a lower pitched shot can mask a shooter's position better, and thus provide better signature reduction. A lower pitched report might be easier to be noticed as a noise in general, but it also can be more difficult to recognize as a gunshot; you might be able to pick up the thump of a subwoofer from a car stereo from pretty far, but you may very well not be able to recognize it as a car stereo based off of just that noise.

What suppressor would you recommend with a low tone for a 16" 556?
Anything with the flow through technology have that low tone signature?

georgeib
10-07-23, 18:48
What suppressor would you recommend with a low tone for a 16" 556?
Anything with the flow through technology have that low tone signature?Keep in mind that not everything that claims "low back pressure" or "flow through" is created equal. The CGS suppressors, for example, are either really quiet and very high back pressure, or low(er) back pressure and loud. No one does it as well as Huxwrx currently. The new CAT suppressors seem to get closer though. Still not quite there. I'm not talking specifically about tone here, rather about overall sound signature and blow back.

That said, the Huxwrx/OSS cans I have do have a pleasant tone, though I can't say they are necessarily lower in tone than anything else I've heard. Not sure I've really put any energy into comparing tone though.

10-08-23, 06:31
Keep in mind that not everything that claims "low back pressure" or "flow through" is created equal. The CGS suppressors, for example, are either really quiet and very high back pressure, or low(er) back pressure and loud. No one does it as well as Huxwrx currently. The new CAT suppressors seem to get closer though. Still not quite there. I'm not talking specifically about tone here, rather about overall sound signature and blow back.

That said, the Huxwrx/OSS cans I have do have a pleasant tone, though I can't say they are necessarily lower in tone than anything else I've heard. Not sure I've really put any energy into comparing tone though.

To be fair, everything that claims to be “flow through” is Hux/OSS, because they trademarked the term. Thats why all the other manufacturers come up with other ways to describe that, sometimes vaguely, and I doubt many are doing the actual thing well as Hux, since they’ve been refining it longest.

Have you gotten to shoot the CAT cans yet?

Most sound can travel through common walls, however, the example given regarding low freqs from a passing car’s stereo is not analogous. The frequencies that _easily_ pass through walls are much lower than what NIH listed for rifle fire. Again, misleading. We’re talking about 135 to 150 decibel noise, in comparison to 160+ unsuppressed decibels. That’s loud AF. Much louder than a passing hoodrat with his windows down at 90-130db. And remember, its a logarthmic, not linear scale.

It is a provable fact that louder cans reduce audible signature less. Literally what a meter does. I’m not advocating for decibel chasing or saying that the quietest can is always best in all ways, just saying don’t delude yourself into thinking loud is also quiet somehow.