PDA

View Full Version : Bell Helicopter's Invictus "pop-out" seating (patent pending)

Slater
09-28-23, 20:09
Looks like Bell is trying to make their helicopter more relevant/versatile in a world of drones.

"The patent for what is described as a "modular deployable external passenger system for aircraft" was assigned to Textron Innovations on September 12. The application was originally submitted through Bell Textron in 2020. Though commonly known as Bell Helicopter or just as Bell, the company has been a division of Textron since 1960.

The patent does not mention the 360 Invictus, one of two designs currently in the running in the U.S. Army's Future Attack Recon Aircraft (FARA) competition, by name. However, multiple accompanying diagrams show the system as it would appear mounted on the helicopter. The description of how it would installed is also entirely in line with what is known about the 360 Invictus' central internal weapons bay."

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/pop-out-seating-kit-for-bell-360-invictus-helicopter-patented

Diamondback
09-28-23, 20:33
Is it just me, or does Invictus look like Bell's trying REALLY hard to rip off the old Lockheed AH-56 Cheyenne with just enough different to not get sued?

Slater
09-28-23, 20:34
I don't know but I think the Cheyenne looked WAY cooler.

Diamondback
09-28-23, 20:38
Ironically, Invictus still has the same Achilles Heel as Cheyenne did. And hell yeah, you offer to buy me a chopper but it's gotta be one of those two I'm taking the old Lockheed bird.

From the article: "It is also worth noting that the conflict in Ukraine has underscored the vulnerability of traditional helicopters like the 360 Invictus to modern air defenses, including shoulder-fired surface-to-air missiles, also known as man-portable air defense systems (MANPADS)." We rolled out the Cheyenne, Charlie rolled out shiny new Soviet SA-7 IR SAM's."