PDA

View Full Version : On the budget 9mm front...

Slater
10-01-23, 10:52
Another gun that made it to the market this summer with little fanfare. I've seen them for as low as $315. Reading reviews of this gun, the only thing that struck me as curious is the fact that it has a rubber backstrap. Don't recall seeing that on any other pistol.

https://www.legacysports.com/centurion-cp9-web/

Ron3
10-01-23, 22:21
Why would they enter this crowded market? Why would they name it "Centurion" when Beretta already uses that name on some of their pistols?

Is this a gun that is made even more cheaply than a PSA Dagger so they can sell it for $20 less?

Is it to take some sales away from Taurus for those who are cross-shopping and want something US made not Brazil made?

I don't understand how they expected to do well in the market unless the gun is incredibly cheap to manufacture. (due to low-quality)

Slater
10-02-23, 06:04
It does bear a passing resemblance to an FMK:

https://fmkfirearms.com/home/new-g3-pistols/

Bret
10-02-23, 08:42
I'd say that's more than a passing resemblance. They appear to be the same gun except for the slide serrations.

henri
10-02-23, 12:23
Why is the word 'budget' a concern for an item whose primary purpose is the defense of your life, family, or property. Is the $100 or $150 saving seriously worth it? Glocks are historically reliable and accurate handguns and really not at all expensive. One can find a gen 3,4,5 Glock 19 or 17 for $500 or less.

Bret
10-02-23, 13:24
While I agree that a lower cost at the expense of reliability isn't a good tradeoff, reality is that reliable, good quality guns can be purchased for significantly less than a Glock. For example, the Stoeger STR-9 is just as reliable and seems to be every bit as good as a Glock. If a person only has $500 to spend, who would be better prepared? The one that buys a Glock and a box of ammo or two for practice? Or, the one who buys the Stoeger and a 1,000rd case of ammo for practice?

Slater
10-02-23, 13:32
Some of the Turkish brands (Canik, Sarsilmaz, Tisas, etc.) have developed a reputation for inexpensive, quality handguns. Of course, copying proven designs does save the R&D costs.

There's a way-under-the-radar brand called BRG-USA (Turkish-made) that I've seen sold for $189 at one time. It advertises that barrels and slides are made from forged 4340 steel. I don't know if that really means much, but the reviews I've seen are generally positive:

https://brg-usa.com/brg9-elite-black

Pappabear
10-02-23, 17:24
I shot a buddies PSA dagger aka Gen III Glock and it ran like a top. If I were buying a beater gun, that would be my choice. I think its great people on a budget have several good choices sub $400; sub $400 guns used to completely suck. Not anymore God Bless capitalism.

PB

JediGuy
10-06-23, 06:33
Right now, the CZ P-10C right at $300 or under is the king of budget buys if price is the prime factor.

The PSA Dagger seems like the easy alternative: outstanding features without a proven history.

robbins290
10-06-23, 09:05
Right now, the CZ P-10C right at $300 or under is the king of budget buys if price is the prime factor.

The PSA Dagger seems like the easy alternative: outstanding features without a proven history.

Both better choices, Is any of the PSA part craps out, replace it with a Glock OEM part. and the CZ, nothing bad to say about the CZ's, I got the P-0p duty for about 350 out the door after rebate. Amazing pistol, I would assume the striker is the same way.

SteyrAUG
10-06-23, 20:26
Why is the word 'budget' a concern for an item whose primary purpose is the defense of your life, family, or property. Is the $100 or $150 saving seriously worth it? Glocks are historically reliable and accurate handguns and really not at all expensive. One can find a gen 3,4,5 Glock 19 or 17 for $500 or less.

There are people in the world who will buy a Brand X ballistic vest over a known quantity because they have a 10% off coupon.

hemiram
10-07-23, 02:34
I was looking at gun videos on YT and saw this, a Girsan MC9 Match, also called an MC9 T. I jumped on it for $360. The gun is supposedly an S&W M&P clone. I don't know much about the red dot, but so far it works fine. I put a couple of hundred through it without a hitch, the gun itself is very accurate.

henri
10-07-23, 10:58
I was looking at gun videos on YT and saw this, a Girsan MC9 Match, also called an MC9 T. I jumped on it for $360. The gun is supposedly an S&W M&P clone. I don't know much about the red dot, but so far it works fine. I put a couple of hundred through it without a hitch, the gun itself is very accurate.

To each his own...If you are comfortable with your choice of defensive firearm and it works for you, Great ! I'm a bit conservative and stick to known brands.

hemiram
10-12-23, 06:03
Girsan has been around about 3 decades, so I wouldn't consider it "unknown". The thread was budget 9mm's, so it definitely qualifies. About the only thing that maybe isn't as good as the gun it's a clone of is the EAA labled red dot. So far, it works fine and I have other ones that will go on if it does die. If I was to pick a single gun of mine as my sole defensive weapon, it would be this:
I don't know what happened to the 629-1, but I'm old and the recoil of .44 magnum isn't fun anymore.
If I had to go semiauto, it would be this one, just because I've put a couple thousand rounds through it:
I paid $325 for it a long time ago, so I guess it would be a budget gun too.

Stopsign32v
10-13-23, 21:22
Girsan has been around about 3 decades, so I wouldn't consider it "unknown".

"But it ain't no Glock son!"

:lol:

Glocks suck. I'd buy something else just to not have one.

hemiram
10-14-23, 04:00
"But it ain't no Glock son!"

:lol:

Glocks suck. I'd buy something else just to not have one.

They are.....OK, but not something I would ever buy, IMHO the grip ranges from fair to just awful. I have a friend who is a total fanboi about Glocks. I don't get it, but he doesn't get my CZ/Clone love either. I have a few polymer guns and they are fine, but do I really care about them? Nope. They are like a drill or impact driver. Use it, if it dies, move on to another. The wood and metal ones are another story. I wouldn't want to see any of them go away.