PDA

View Full Version : Geissele awarded SOCOM contract

Slater
10-01-23, 11:33
From the 29 Sep 23 US DoD contract announcements. Wasn't aware that there was a new "sniper support weapon" in the works.

"Geissele Automatics,* North Wales, Pennsylvania, has been awarded an indefinite-delivery/indefinite-quantity contract (H92403-23-D-0003) with a 10-year ordering period and a maximum ceiling of $29,263,029 to procure a new sniper support weapon, designated marksman, rifle taking advantage of advances in ammunition and weapons technology to improve the intermediate range sniper rifle lethality, reliability and performance when suppressed during 50-1,500 meter engagements. This effort will also provide for complete sustainment over the life cycle of the weapon system, including associated spare parts and vendor support, new equipment training, engineering, and travel. Fiscal 2023 procurement funds in the amount of $4,240,133 are being obligated at time of award on the first delivery order. This contract is a follow-on production contract stemming from a competitive prototype agreement and is being awarded in accordance with 10 U.S. Code 4022(f). U.S. Special Operations Command, MacDill Air Force Base, Florida, is the contracting activity."

https://www.defense.gov/News/Contracts/Contract/Article/3543791/

Hank6046
10-02-23, 07:51
Its a 6.5 Gas gun. https://geissele.com/mrgg-s-rifle-20-barrel-6-5-creedmoor-ddc.html

https://soldiersystems.net/2023/09/30/ussocom-awards-geissele-automatics-29-million-for-mid-range-gas-gun-sniper

TAZ
10-02-23, 08:40
Was kind of hoping this would be the 6ARC jobber that was hinted at, but aside from that $$$ could be interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mack7.62
10-02-23, 10:36
What Sig didn't win a contract????!!!!

I am beginning to think the performance gains might not be worth the logistics headaches that will arise if we get into a major conflict.

ST911
10-02-23, 15:02

I am beginning to think the performance gains might not be worth the logistics headaches that will arise if we get into a major conflict.

Much less an issue for the intended users and application.

TAZ
10-03-23, 09:54

I think the same arguments were made when we switched away from 30-06 and then away from 762x51.

It’s all about timing I guess. There is no mass distribution if the Spear and the units that get them first already use lots of non mainstream items so to speak.

Assuming DOD has 2 working brian cells they will build inventory and then distribute items to units. However, I guess with the plethora of idiot just in time MBA’s around you may be right about bigger than normal supply nightmares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10-03-23, 10:28

What, having 6 cartridges is a logistics problem?

It’s all about timing I guess. There is no mass distribution if the Spear and the units that get them first already use lots of non mainstream items so to speak.

The vast majority of Spears will go to units that upgraded their M4s to A1 spec within the last 7-10 years.

B Cart
10-03-23, 13:48
Personally, i love to see everything switching from 7.62x51/.308 to 6.5 creedmoor. The 6.5 is superior in all the right ways: much more accurate, better BC projectiles, flatter trajectory with less wind drift, and lower recoil. I switched my gas guns from 308 to 6.5 creed years ago and couldn't be happier. And the more it's adopted in .mil circles, the easier it will be to support logistically.

Cool to see companies other than Sig, winning contracts lately (KAC, Geissele, etc)

Slater
10-03-23, 14:08
About the only knock I've heard against 6.5CM is that it tends to wear barrels quicker. For the military, that shouldn't be a problem, though.

hotrodder636
10-03-23, 16:33
It sure is a good looking rifle too. I am also a fan of 6.5 CM. I wish I would've built my big frame in 6.5 rather than 308. I guess I could always just swap barrels or build a new upper.

markm
10-03-23, 16:56
We did an ALL .308 shoot a few weeks back in both Bolt and Gas gun. I was really interested to see if going back to all 308 would hurt the cause at long range.

We had zero struggles to get hits or instances where I felt not having a CM was hurting us. The recoil is a real difference... no question. Once you get out to 1300 yards, both calibers can suck depending on the conditions.

All in all, I don't really have a very great love for either caliber. But the CM is the current beaten path, so that's where I tend to try to stay.