PDA

View Full Version : Good A2 lower

msedward43
10-04-23, 14:58
I realized recently that I don't have a 20 inch rifle length AR in my collection. A hole that needs filled (get your minds out of the gutter you ingrates!!!)

anyways, I was looking at some BCM 20 inch uppers and when I went to search for a good A2 stocked lower I realized that there was NOTHING to be found on the bigger names. Mostly it's PSA, STAG, PRI and other "meh" lower builders putting out A2 rifle length lowers...

question is. Am I missing something? does BCM, SOLGW etc put out a nice A2 stocked lower and I'm just not seeing it? or anything else I should look at.

on an alternative note. what about the VLTOR A5 system? I know it has been used with 20 inch rifle length'd uppers and seems to work well. Is an A5 VLTOR setup any less reliable than a regular A2 stock with rifle length spring and buffer? or is it just a matter of taste?

markm
10-04-23, 15:04
Is an A5 VLTOR setup and less reliable than ah regular A2 stock with rifle length spring and buffer? or is it just a matter of taste?

It's nearly identical to the rifle system. The buffer is just abbreviated. Spring is the same.

Stickman
10-04-23, 15:26
Might as with the BCM lower to match the upper/

DoubleW
10-04-23, 18:55
Arms Unlimited often sells Colt A2 lowers. TAC does as well. Brownells has genuine Colt 7075-T6 A2 stocks/rifle receiver extensions. So you can either buy your own or roll your own. Aero sells an A2 lower as well. I have several of the BCM Mk2 (A5) lowers and they have all been superb. If anyone cares, Primary Arms currently has factory FDE BCM Mk2 lowers. I really enjoy the perceived recoil mitigation as well as the increased adjustability in length of pull.

Disciple
10-04-23, 20:56
An A2 stock is easy to install on a bare receiver, certainly easier than a carbine extension. Why not do it yourself?

msedward43
10-04-23, 23:07
Arms Unlimited often sells Colt A2 lowers. TAC does as well. Brownells has genuine Colt 7075-T6 A2 stocks/rifle receiver extensions. So you can either buy your own or roll your own. Aero sells an A2 lower as well. I have several of the BCM Mk2 (A5) lowers and they have all been superb. If anyone cares, Primary Arms currently has factory FDE BCM Mk2 lowers. I really enjoy the perceived recoil mitigation as well as the increased adjustability in length of pull.

that's good to know. at least I have some options with the A2 lowers then. I just wasn't seeing ANYTHING except something super cheap. At least the Aero would be a decent alternative if I couldn't find a Colt lower or what not.

msedward43
10-04-23, 23:08
It's nearly identical to the rifle system. The buffer is just abbreviated. Spring is the same.

Thanks for the info. I have a factory SOLGW lower with an A5 system on it sitting in a box. I kinda want to go A2 just for the sake of having ONE rifle with the classic butt stock, but at least I have the option to use the A5 comfortably

msedward43
10-04-23, 23:44
An A2 stock is easy to install on a bare receiver, certainly easier than a carbine extension. Why not do it yourself?

that was going to be my last option. I was just trying to be lazy and see if I could buy one built from a reputable manufacturer as is.. but if not, I'll just grab a colt stock and rifle tube and roll my own.

Disciple
10-05-23, 11:19
that was going to be my last option. I was just trying to be lazy and see if I could buy one built from a reputable manufacturer as is.. but if not, I'll just grab a colt stock and rifle tube and roll my own.

With a carbine receiver extension I can understand the hesitation as it's a pain to get dead level without a jig, but the rifle tube and stock is self-timing. You don't even need to stake a castle nut.

msedward43
10-05-23, 12:16
With a carbine receiver extension I can understand the hesitation as it's a pain to get dead level without a jig, but the rifle tube and stock is self-timing. You don't even need to stake a castle nut.

oh I know. I just think you underestimate my laziness lol. I don't have a fully built lower built up or even have one hand. which means I'd have to buy another lower. Then build it up. then add the A2 stock.... I was just hoping I could find a pre built lower that would = me hitting ordere button and waiting lol.

don't get me wrong. I totally get it. and that will be my course of action if I can't find what I want pre-built soon. the A2 is butt easy compared to a carbine buffer tube as you said

Cold/Bore
10-05-23, 18:11
I just saw this today:
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CyCEksCPvsW/?igshid=MTc4MmM1YmI2Ng==

msedward43
10-05-23, 20:15
I just saw this today:

damn. I have a SOLGW lower with an A5 buffer setup on it already. Cummon Mike! release the uppers for those!!!

lol

DoubleW
10-05-23, 20:43
I just saw this today:

I’ve actually been seeing a lot of pics from Parris Island of recruits with A4 uppers on M4 lowers. I believe that to be a supply issue and not an actual in use configuration but still interesting. I also have an A4 upper with an ACOG on a M4 lower. Aside from looking cool, it allows for perfect eye relief with the ACOG.

Todd.K
10-06-23, 12:47
Arms Unlimited often sells Colt A2 lowers.

They have complete Colt A4 rifles for under 1k… He is asking for the easy button.

msedward43
10-06-23, 14:44
I just saw this today:

looks like the rifle and the upper came out today.

https://www.primaryarms.com/barrel-length/20-in/brand/sons-of-liberty-gun-works

not gonna lie. I'm not wild about it.

EXPO Arms quad rail?

MW Industries sight?

for trying to "clone" an M16Ax variant I'm not exactly sure I'd use those two brands...especially Expro Arms

msedward43
10-06-23, 15:09
They have complete Colt A4 rifles for under 1k… He is asking for the easy button.

well, shit. that's about as easy street as you can get. Thanks for that. under $1,000 shipped including my FFL fee.

dumb question. is the AR15a4 funky in any way? meaning large pin fcg holes, odd sized take down pin holes? or is that a thing of the past (I rememer it was an issue 10-15 years ago for the 6920 etc)

markm
10-06-23, 15:36
meaning large pin fcg holes, odd sized take down pin holes? or is that a thing of the past

They quit doing that retarded crap.

msedward43
10-06-23, 15:41
They quit doing that retarded crap.

excellent. I haven't bought a colt in over a decade, so I'm a bit out of the loop. AR15a4 on the way. $959 shipped.

I do appreciate the help fellas

probably will just sell one of my 6920's that I haven't fired since 2015 to fund it lol.

markm
10-06-23, 16:04
excellent. I haven't bought a colt in over a decade, so I'm a bit out of the loop.

Same here. I do buy an occasional Colt Factory Upper or Barrel though. I don't fill out form 4430 (whatevers) anymore.

msedward43
10-06-23, 16:07
Same here. I do buy an occasional Colt Factory Upper or Barrel though. I don't fill out form 4430 (whatevers) anymore.

lol, yeah. I've only bought colt BCGs in the last decade....

I also see you're in the hot hellscape that is AZ... what area are you from in AZ?

markm
10-06-23, 16:48
lol, yeah. I've only bought colt BCGs in the last decade....

I also see you're in the hot hellscape that is AZ... what area are you from in AZ?

Phoenix Area.

Stickman
10-06-23, 17:09
Phoenix Area.

One of my old partners just retired and moved down there!!

msedward43
10-06-23, 17:14
Phoenix Area.

lol, so you're even hotter that we are. I'm in Tucson so just a short Jaunt

Disciple
10-06-23, 18:28
EXPO Arms quad rail?

MW Industries sight?

for trying to "clone" an M16Ax variant I'm not exactly sure I'd use those two brands...especially Expro Arms

The Expo Arms RAS is solid. Do not avoid it. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?241304-Expo-Arms-M4-RAS-Quad-Rail-Handguard-Carbine-Length-Review

msedward43
10-06-23, 18:57
The Expo Arms RAS is solid. Do not avoid it. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?241304-Expo-Arms-M4-RAS-Quad-Rail-Handguard-Carbine-Length-Review

interesting. I'd always viewed Expo Arms as basically the "great value" home brand of PA....

Disciple
10-06-23, 19:08
It is that, but in this case they're rebranding an apparently very nice product.

JediGuy
10-07-23, 05:34
interesting. I'd always viewed Expo Arms as basically the "great value" home brand of PA....

They seem to be selective in what they offer under the brand. They have partnered with FCD, SOLGW, CMT, P&S, Microbest… The CMT handguard did seem to cut corners on the aluminum used for the barrel nut vs why CMT uses under their own branding, but the “quality” is still there.
Summary: I now buy Expo items without reservation.

msedward43
10-07-23, 05:54
They seem to be selective in what they offer under the brand. They have partnered with FCD, SOLGW, CMT, P&S, Microbest… The CMT handguard did seem to cut corners on the aluminum used for the barrel nut vs why CMT uses under their own branding, but the “quality” is still there.
Summary: I now buy Expo items without reservation.

well, I guess that explains why Mike at SOLGW partnered with them for that build. I was sort of confused there wondering if SOLGW was slipping, or there was something I wasn't seeing in that combo. Well, since I ordered the AR15A4 from Colt I'll probably hold off on that upper, but if PA has their 12% off sales I'll certainly take a double take

msedward43
10-10-23, 11:22
dumb question since I've never effed with them before. How easy is the Expo Arms or the original KAC RAS rails to install? Are they drop in to say a Colt AR15A4 (mine shipped today..arms unlimited had to cancel my order because they oversold, so I got one on Family Firearms)... or do they need a lot of hand fitting etc? (I'm tool challenged due to a minor disability)

markm
10-10-23, 11:26
How easy is the Expo Arms or the original KAC RAS rails to install? Are they drop in to say a Colt AR15A4

No idea what the Expo Arms thing is, but the KAC or P&S M5 are pretty straight forward. Just depends on how stiff your Delta spring is.

DoubleW
10-10-23, 11:27
dumb question since I've never effed with them before. How easy is the Expo Arms or the original KAC RAS rails to install? Are they drop in to say a Colt AR15A4 (mine shipped today..arms unlimited had to cancel my order because they oversold, so I got one on Family Firearms)... or do they need a lot of hand fitting etc? (I'm tool challenged due to a minor disability)

They are drop in. The top rail has a tension bar that fits under the front handguard retainer cap. It also has a steel leg in the rear that straddles the gas tube and fits under the barrel nut. It is then gently tightened via a small flat head screw. Do not over tighten this screw or strip it. Hand tighten and then maybe an 1/8 turn more. The bottom rail drops in like any plastic handguard.

msedward43
10-10-23, 11:36
They are drop in. The top rail has a tension bar that fits under the front handguard retainer cap. It also has a steel leg in the rear that straddles the gas tube and fits under the barrel nut. It is then gently tightened via a small flat head screw. Do not over tighten this screw or strip it. Hand tighten and then maybe an 1/8 turn more. The bottom rail drops in like any plastic handguard.

ok, that's not bad then. I was just worried it was like AK gear where zenitco or midwest rails literally have to be hand filed and fit to each gun which would be a major PITA. the way you described it sounds straight forward and easy..

not to see if I can find a KAC M5 RAS for a reasonable price before I have to settle for the Expo Arms ones

markm
10-10-23, 11:47
not to see if I can find a KAC M5 RAS for a reasonable price before I have to settle for the Expo Arms ones

P&S makes an exact version. Those are usually the cheaper option for the exact same item. Brownells has a version also made by under license.

msedward43
10-10-23, 11:52
P&S makes an exact version. Those are usually the cheaper option for the exact same item. Brownells has a version also made by under license.

just doing some googling it appears that the expo arms version IS a rebranded P&S..... also didn't realize brownells made an RAS 5.... I'll have to glance at them too.

markm
10-10-23, 12:37
just doing some googling it appears that the expo arms version IS a rebranded P&S..... also didn't realize brownells made an RAS 5.... I'll have to glance at them too.

I think they're all probably made by the same company with different cage codes. I never looked at Expo, so I didn't know it was even an M5 RAS system. (maybe there was a recent thread on Expo now that I think about it)

Disciple
10-10-23, 12:48
I think they're all probably made by the same company with different cage codes.

I think it was reported that the Expo Arms rail actually has the P&S CAGE code.

DoubleW
10-10-23, 13:21
I can attest to the quality of recent production P&S M5/M4 RAS rails.I actually believe them to be nicer than the KAC rails. The machining is more precise and the finish is darker and more even. Side by side, the P&S looks better to me.

markm
10-10-23, 13:33
I can attest to the quality of recent production P&S M5/M4 RAS rails.I actually believe them to be nicer than the KAC rails. The machining is more precise and the finish is darker and more even. Side by side, the P&S looks better to me.

Same here. I put a P&S M4 RAS on Pappabear's 10.5 and that thing was beautiful. I'll run either of them though... whatever is cheaper.

msedward43
10-10-23, 13:50
lol, dang. the P&S seem like the nicer deal. now I gotta find one as they don't seem to be sold in stores atm...

Disciple
10-10-23, 15:22
lol, dang. the P&S seem like the nicer deal. now I gotta find one as they don't seem to be sold in stores atm...

The Expo Arms is P&S. Are you intentionally ignoring this?

msedward43
10-10-23, 15:57
The Expo Arms is P&S. Are you intentionally ignoring this?

yeah, I was hesitating a minute because I was looking for more confirmation that P^S made them, but from what I'm reading on other forums Prudent American Technlogies (the owners of P&S who bought them out recently) is making them and selling the same rail to both Brownells (their labeled version of the RAS) and Expo Arms.... so it looks like P&S really IS expo...same for the brownells.

good deal. hopefully I snag one of PA rotating coupon codes and snag one for my A4 coming in. already got a line on the sling/mag pouch combo.

now just to decide if I'm going Comp 4 or ACOG for optics