PDA

View Full Version : Two CMMG models compared to IWI, FN, and Colt models

shadowspirit
10-10-23, 15:11
I noticed CMMG has the Resolute model which seems to go for a little less than $1100 online. They also have their MK4 100 series model that can be had for as little as $800.

How do they compare to the IWI Z-14 and the new FN Guardian in terms of quality only (not features)?

Are the CMMG models above as good as the basic Colt models in terms of quality?

10-12-23, 11:08
Doubtful. CMMG’s parts quality is generally budget-oriented.

You’re not going to find a cheaper gun than a Colt that is higher quality. That’s not a thing because of the economy of scale, and the amount of time they’ve been making the same model.

markm
10-12-23, 11:17
I haven't had experience with an recent CMMG stuff, but historically their crap was hit and miss with parts being supplied from any and everywhere. I would never buy anything from that company.

Hank6046
10-12-23, 14:00
I've had really good interactions from CMMG in the past and still have their LPKs in 2 of my lowers, but to the OP, if this is an further thread as to a Complete AR for a decent price, I would stick with the Colt, SOLGW or something more known for quality. If you can get an IWI Zion for around $850 then might be another good option, I've played around wtih them and like them very much, but I don't know anyone who's got a long term reliability report on one of those yet, where as the others mentioned are well vetted.

https://www.primaryarms.com/colt-le-6920-r-tropper-5-56-nato-m4-carbine-w-m-lok-handguard-16in (Colt)
https://www.primaryarms.com/sons-of-liberty-gun-works-m4-patrol-sl-5-56-nato-ar-15-rifle-16in (SOLGW)

uffdaphil
10-12-23, 15:36
I bought a CMMG Banshee in 7.62x39 because it takes standard AK mags and I like the idea of a cut down .308 BCG rather than a reamed out 5.56 bolt. I’d consider them in 9mm for the sorta delayed roller system.

For standard 5.56 AR configuration I’d trust a Zion or Colt more.

10-12-23, 18:08
If you can get an IWI Zion for around $850 then might be another good option, I've played around wtih them and like them very much, but I don't know anyone who's got a long term reliability report on one of those yet, where as the others mentioned are well vetted.

[ the IMI gun is fairly appealing… it looks good on paper, particularly the 12.5”. I doubt its as high quality as the Colt, but it looks like something that someone can have a good time with out of the box. Problem is, I don’t know anyone that’s vetted any, so it could be assembled like ass, or hit or miss on durability. I’m not saying that’s the case; I’d like to be optimistic about them….I just can’t just say, yeah, get that one.

I bought a CMMG Banshee in 7.62x39 because it takes standard AK mags and I like the idea of a cut down .308 BCG rather than a reamed out 5.56 bolt. I’d consider them in 9mm for the sorta delayed roller system.
Both of those are on my list of “**** it, I’ve got the money” guns.

kirkland
10-12-23, 18:29
I noticed CMMG has the Resolute model which seems to go for a little less than $1100 online. They also have their MK4 100 series model that can be had for as little as $800.

How do they compare to the IWI Z-14 and the new FN Guardian in terms of quality only (not features)?

Yeah CMMG is a much better quality and certainly more Milspec than the Colt. That's why it's $1100. My cousin had the CMMG and the gas key came loose after a couple hundred rounds of firing, but that's understandable. The gas key never came loose on my Colt after 12,000 rounds, nor were there any other parts failures, but the CMMG is certainly the higher quality gun.

Hank6046
10-12-23, 22:57
the IMI gun is fairly appealing… it looks good on paper, particularly the 12.5”. I doubt its as high quality as the Colt, but it looks like something that someone can have a good time with out of the box. Problem is, I don’t know anyone that’s vetted any, so it could be assembled like ass, or hit or miss on durability. I’m not saying that’s the case; I’d like to be optimistic about them….I just can’t just say, yeah, get that one.

I put 2 magazines through the 16" Zion at a vender show and was pleasantly surprised at how smooth and well put together everything felt, especially for $800-$900 dollars. That was also the first time I used the B5 grip as well, since which I have purchased. I was actually there to try the Tavor (X95) because it seemed like a really great SBR alternative, but ended up being really surprised by the Zion 15, I would love to have shot the 12.5" but I haven't seen those anywhere other then showing out of stock on a few websites.

shadowspirit
10-17-23, 21:36
Thanks, all.

Rickenbacker53
11-12-23, 11:01
What you get is all opinion . Playing GI Joe 2023 is sorta senseless . While you get to train and get very proficient at what you do . When SHTF it's not going to work the way everyone thinks . It's going to be 100 times worse then you can imagine . Two Thirds of Humanity is going to die in a 3.5 year period and after that . Of the population left another 25-30% won't survive the last 3.5 years . Everything we imagine in Horror movies to be made up is going to manifest itself .

Hell is coming and by the looks of the war in Israel . Very very soon .

So buy the best you can afford . Have some fun while there's time . But start you day and end your night on your knees . Hoping you will be found worthy to escape what is soon coming .

Colt Carson
11-16-23, 01:51
I own a CMMG and consider it a range play-toy, not something I’d bet my life on. And CMMG provided me the worst customer service of any gun manufacturer I’ve ever dealt with in my entire life.

Hammer_Man
11-16-23, 11:09
I’m seeing used but excellent condition LE6920s going for about $1k on local classifieds. I’d go for that over a $850 “budget” AR. Lastly you can still order a new LE6920 OEM from Arms Unlimited for $750.00.

shadowspirit
11-20-23, 18:41
I own a CMMG and consider it a range play-toy, not something I’d bet my life on. And CMMG provided me the worst customer service of any gun manufacturer I’ve ever dealt with in my entire life.

Thanks. I won't be buying a CMMG in the future.

shadowspirit
11-20-23, 18:46
I’m seeing used but excellent condition LE6920s going for about $1k on local classifieds. I’d go for that over a $850 “budget” AR. Lastly you can still order a new LE6920 OEM from Arms Unlimited for $750.00.

That's probably the most rational thing to do. OTOH, the FN and IWI ones I mentioned seem to "speak to me" or whatever that saying is.

I like the Colt 6960 except for the thin barrel. I like a thicker barrel even if it weighs more.

indianalex01
11-20-23, 21:45
That's probably the most rational thing to do. OTOH, the FN and IWI ones I mentioned seem to "speak to me" or whatever that saying is.

I like the Colt 6960 except for the thin barrel. I like a thicker barrel even if it weighs more.

Wow. You are the 1st person I’ve ever heard say that about the 6960 barrel. It’s not full pencil barrel. It’s in between. I hear you though. I like socom profile on some of my guns. I do like a thinner barrel on 16 inch though. 6960 is a great rifle. Colts just work well. I would take a colt over any gun around and I own KAC, LMT, Sig, DD. It’s because I’ve carried them in the Corps for so long. Been through a lot with them and they just run and run.

mack7.62
11-21-23, 08:34
Colt, the best 1980's rifle out there.

indianalex01
11-21-23, 10:19
Colt, the best 1980's rifle out there.

I roll the more modern Colts M5 ambie lower and great barrel mounting system, also the 6960 mid length, SCW (side folder). Obviously you like the old stuff and it’s very cool too. There is a retro forum on this site that you would like a lot. It talks about 60’s-80’s colts. More your style probably

shadowspirit
11-21-23, 14:21
Wow. You are the 1st person I’ve ever heard say that about the 6960 barrel. It’s not full pencil barrel. It’s in between. I hear you though. I like socom profile on some of my guns. I do like a thinner barrel on 16 inch though. 6960 is a great rifle. Colts just work well. I would take a colt over any gun around and I own KAC, LMT, Sig, DD. It’s because I’ve carried them in the Corps for so long. Been through a lot with them and they just run and run.

Those other brands don't run and run like Colt?

Uncas47
11-21-23, 15:27
deleted.

Uncas47
11-21-23, 15:30
Those other brands don't run and run like Colt?
I believe he was stating preference based on time downrange. Colt owns it.

indianalex01
11-21-23, 18:09
I believe he was stating preference based on time downrange. Colt owns it.

Thanks for explaining this to the guy. He was trying to troll me. I know he isn’t that stupid. He read my post but still tried to troll me.

yoni
11-22-23, 03:21
I own one CMMG a 9mm, I have shot the crap out of it. I guess I have had good luck, nothing has broke and it has run 100%

shadowspirit
11-23-23, 00:40
Thanks for explaining this to the guy. He was trying to troll me. I know he isn’t that stupid. He read my post but still tried to troll me.

No, I don't do that kind of thing.

pag23
11-23-23, 05:13
I don't own any Colt rifles, but between a CMMG or Colt, I would pick the Colt....I have installed a few CMMG LPKs with no issues but this was a few years ago when parts were hard to get.

indianalex01
11-23-23, 10:55
No, I don't do that kind of thing.

Then why would you ask that after reading my post? My post clearly explains why I roll Colts even though I own the others.. clearly trying to troll.