PDA

View Full Version : Springfield SA 35?

1986s4
10-14-23, 10:06
In recent weeks I have found myself almost clicking the buy now button for one of these. I really like the way they feel in the hand at my LGS. But I don't really need one... My Colt .38 super and HK USP 9mm are my go to's for the 2 gun competitions I favor. Instead I tell myself to buy ammo and mags. But I am getting weak..

Yea or nay ?

jsbhike
10-14-23, 11:32
I haven't played with the Springfield yet, but as long as they directly copied the FN pistols they feel as good shooting as they do handling them in the shop. Saive nailed just about everything on ergonomics except the thumb safety and that has been taken care of.

markm
10-14-23, 16:04
Man. I saw these in a Brownell's email. Springfield does have a history of slapping their name on garbage though. (The M1A line).

I'd be worried to get a Hi Power with 1911 level unreliability.

Sam
10-14-23, 17:24
I played with one for around 8 months. Bought it around 2022.

Probably had close to 1000 rounds through it. No malfunction that I could remember. No failure to extract or eject as reported on the internet.

Accuracy was acceptable. From a bench I was able to get 5" groups at 25 yards. Not bullseye accuracy but would get the job done.

Other than warm ups, all shots were doing various drills. IDPA Classifiers, 5x5, Bill drills, El Prez and many more.

The "beavertail" had sharp edges that was uncomfortable after awhile. I read this is a typical complaint. Took some fine sand paper to the edges and it gotten better. I could have gotten more aggressive with the sanding but I didn't plan to keep it, so I cold blued the sanded area.

For whatever reason I couldn't shoot it any better than my Berettas or CZ P07 or M&Ps or Sig P365 (yes the little gun). I guess the lack of familiarity didn't help. Don't get me wrong, if it was the only thing I have, I'd use it.

After the evaluation period, I sold it. I tend to do that anyway, I don't keep things long term unless I totally bond with it.

It's a decent gun, don't believe the internet rumors.

The Dumb Gun Collector
10-14-23, 21:09
I shot a buddies a few weeks back. I thought it was pretty good. Easy shooter with a waaaay better trigger than my old Surplus BHP

09fatbob
10-14-23, 21:59
I own 2 ... love them

Alpha-17
10-15-23, 07:48
They look good, and they feel good in the hand. Problem for me is they don't really fill a niche. They're not quite "modern" and yet have too many modern features to make them useful for me as a reenactor.

markm
10-15-23, 08:24
I own 2 ... love them

They run well? I figure Brownell's shitty price should be on the top side of real world pricing.

BigDog
10-15-23, 19:46
I got one about three years ago, in the 4000 serial number range. It has been perfect, and a splendid replacement for my old custom Argentine FM from back in the day.

Sam
10-15-23, 20:32
For those who've never shot a Hi Power or the Springfield SA, these type of guns sit very low in your hand, so the barrel/slide are almost in line with your shooting arm, making the recoil very light and muzzle rise minimal. They are very similar to the Glock 9mm in how low they sit in your hand.

gunnar4321
10-15-23, 21:57
When these newer Hi Powers came out, I thought they'd put other modern touches on them like a light rail or a threaded barrel. Disappointed that Springfield and FN didn't. EAA's copy did put a rail on it, but I have no confidence in Turkish weapons.

Bret
10-15-23, 22:05
In recent weeks I have found myself almost clicking the buy now button for one of these. I really like the way they feel in the hand at my LGS. But I don't really need one...
Your logic is way too limiting. I abandoned that thought process long ago. It's ok to buy a gun just for fun. Worse case, you'll sell it and lose a few bucks. FYI, Girsan makes Hi Powers that are imported by EAA. You can get them starting at a little over $400. The quality is excellent, so no worries about getting an inferior product. I have one of their PI versions. It's the same as a regular Hi Power, but the slide and barrel are shorter. It's been awesome.

https://i.postimg.cc/hvZwGPW1/PC-P35-PI-left-view.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/XqYm3Bhv/MC-P35-PI-right-view.jpg

markm
10-16-23, 09:02
FYI, Girsan makes Hi Powers that are imported by EAA. You can get them starting at a little over $400. The quality is excellent, so no worries about getting an inferior product. I have one of their PI versions. It's the same as a regular Hi Power, but the slide and barrel are shorter. It's been awesome.

I'd love to have a funzzies 9 like that. I just never go into gun stores to find one.

Bret
10-16-23, 09:55
I've never seen one in a gun store. They primary sell the most popular guns. If you want something less common, you'll have to take an alternative tactic. I do the vast majority of my gun shopping online. I do a lot of research, looking at pictures and watching videos. I've rarely been disappointed.

markm
10-16-23, 10:28
I've never seen one in a gun store. They primary sell the most popular guns. If you want something less common, you'll have to take an alternative tactic. I do the vast majority of my gun shopping online. I do a lot of research, looking at pictures and watching videos. I've rarely been disappointed.

I'm lazy about putting work in to buy guns. I wish I had the same problem about guitars and amps. :lol:

Sam
10-16-23, 11:01

Which gun that you've never seen in a gun store? the Springfield SA35 or the offerings from EAA/Girsan?

The SA were spotted at Adventure Outdoors in Marietta. The EAA/Girsan were spotted at the Dawsonville Guns.

Bret
10-16-23, 11:14
Which gun that you've never seen in a gun store? the Springfield SA35 or the offerings from EAA/Girsan?

The SA were spotted at Adventure Outdoors in Marietta. The EAA/Girsan were spotted at the Dawsonville Guns.
I've seen some offerings from Girsan in gun stores, but not the HiPower. Of course, I've seen plenty of Springfield 1911's in gun stores, but not the SA35. I don't go into gun stores a lot though. I've never been to Dawsonville guns and have not been to Adventure Outdoors in a long time. Their selection is great, but it's easier to find exactly what I want at better prices online. I'd like to buy more from local stores, but prices are generally way higher. That's especially true now. They're sitting on a lot of inventory that they likely paid much more for than they'd have to pay now.

markm
10-16-23, 11:42

Someone should do an app that dealers could update available models. You could search a model and locate the closest walk in store near the customer's location.