PDA

View Full Version : Carbine Buffers in high end AR's

Pappabear
10-22-23, 13:52
I got a new SR15 in trade, brand new and it came with a SR15 carbine buffer, not and H or H2 or.... Any idea why top end manufacturers would use carbine buffers? Ultimate reliability ? Hottest gun that throws any brass out and cycles?

Also, very interesting, I put a BCM A5 buffer system in the gun and it calmed it a little bit, but is still tossing brass at 2:00 with can. Much like it did before the A5. I don't think it does so with as much energy but I was surprised it didn't calm my gun more. I think it cycles perfectly with a my can, but was a bit worried it tame it down too much. Thought it would have had a more taming effect, I am 100% satisfied but it surprised me.

PB

prepare
10-22-23, 17:08
Is it a mid length gas system? Do you know the gas port size?

Every spec on the AR you buy or build should have data to support it IMO. Unless it’s for T&E and you’re collecting data.

Stickman
10-22-23, 19:29
I got a new SR15 in trade
PB

Everyone is getting cool stuff but me!!!

mack7.62
10-22-23, 20:33
Because it's gassed properly so standard buffer works fine.

markm
10-23-23, 09:32
Because it's gassed properly so standard buffer works fine.

Proper gassing should put ANY Carbine actioned AR at an H2 buffer if you subscribe to the idea that matching the rifle buffer system as closely as possible is best. (which I do)

I have (arguably) under-gassed guns that I had to step down to an H1 carbine buffer. (14.5 middies with .078 ports) I'm unaware of ANY gun that runs best on a carbine 2.9oz buffer. LMT does or did still ship guns with that buffer too.

Stickman
10-23-23, 09:51
Proper gassing should put ANY Carbine actioned AR at an H2 buffer if you subscribe to the idea that matching the rifle buffer system as closely as possible is best. (which I do)

I have (arguably) under-gassed guns that I had to step down to an H1 carbine buffer. (14.5 middies with .078 ports) I'm unaware of ANY gun that runs best on a carbine 2.9oz buffer. LMT does or did still ship guns with that buffer too.

I'm not sure that I consider properly gassed barrels to be H2, I tend to lean more to wanting to see them as H1s if all things are done correctly. That gives a standard buffer the ability to be used for lighter/ weaker loads or small ports. The H comes in where it should be, but allows H2 to be used for hotter ammo, and that would be putting the H3 in dedicated can guns.

I'm not sure that any of it matters when we are talking about the SR15. I've read KAC stating they designed their buffer for their uppers, which makes sense. Of course they don't design those buffers for full time can use, but I guess it would be nice if they had that as an option. The A5 offers up a lot of adaptability, but I do wonder if a H2 or H3 would tame that upper best for PB.

Please update us with whatever you guys figure out. If you need to borrow some various weighted A5 buffers to play around, just let me know. Its not that often that I need to play around with my set, and being without them for awhile wouldn't inconvenience me at all.

markm
10-23-23, 10:27
I'm not sure that I consider properly gassed barrels to be H2, I tend to lean more to wanting to see them as H1s if all things are done correctly.

Which is fine. My logic is derivative of RSilvers old posts here. I subscribe to the logic that the Rifle buffer system (or Vltor A5 too) is the optimal DI gas gun AR buffer formula.

In order to mimic it as closely as possible within the constraints of the Carbine action spring and R.E., you want to pick the H2. On a quality un-suppressed AR, I might not be able to distinguish and H1 vs and H2. But you get that shitty carbine buffer, and man does the bolt speed start to take off!

Shooters should line up 2 or three ARs on a table, and shoot 3-5 rounds, quick change to the next gun, and compare while shooting 50 yard steel. It is amazing the nuances you can realize when you jump from AR to AR like that. Even on guns I think are pretty closely set up... I can feel real differences report, impulse, etc.

Disciple
10-23-23, 12:49
I'm unaware of ANY gun that runs best on a carbine 2.9oz buffer. LMT does or did still ship guns with that buffer too.

Meanwhile (https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/low-mass-system.7122284/):

May 1, 2022

KineticPerformance said:
Is there a general consensus that there is a bottom end on total reciprocating mass or can you generally go to a 1oz buffer as long as it's reliable. It's currently soft shooting but I'm trying to push the limit.

No, no bottom limit. I've got a rifle with an empty buffer and 4 rifles with the Taccom delrin buffer that weighs .6oz and I've even tested with no buffer just out of curiosity.
The adjustment window is wider than I would've guessed, the 4 delrin buffer rifles are all adjusted to lock back using a 55gr @ 2650fps load and are only mildly overgassed with my 77gr/2700 and 69gr/2800fps loads, and among those rifles are mid, intermediate, rifle and rifle +1" gas systems. So yeah, it works a lot better than the internet would have you believe.

Pappabear
10-23-23, 13:52
I'm not sure that I consider properly gassed barrels to be H2, I tend to lean more to wanting to see them as H1s if all things are done correctly. That gives a standard buffer the ability to be used for lighter/ weaker loads or small ports. The H comes in where it should be, but allows H2 to be used for hotter ammo, and that would be putting the H3 in dedicated can guns.

I'm not sure that any of it matters when we are talking about the SR15. I've read KAC stating they designed their buffer for their uppers, which makes sense. Of course they don't design those buffers for full time can use, but I guess it would be nice if they had that as an option. The A5 offers up a lot of adaptability, but I do wonder if a H2 or H3 would tame that upper best for PB.

Please update us with whatever you guys figure out. If you need to borrow some various weighted A5 buffers to play around, just let me know. Its not that often that I need to play around with my set, and being without them for awhile wouldn't inconvenience me at all.

Thanks for the offer Stick. I’m a complete goofball because after buying that A5, I found a geiselle super duty buffer and wire in my 55 gallon drum of shit and an H2. Both of which would have been interesting to play with. Now the A5 is in there so I’m sticking with it. I had some other A5 buffers we might play with but I’m happy how the gun shoots suppressed. It feels gassed strong enough to cycle everything but still pretty smooth.

Interesting what Disciple offered. People taking stuff to limit certainly gives some perspective. Using the lightest or softest recoil is not my goal, I am mostly interested in reliability. Which can be achieved in a number of ways as the Hide post illustrates.

We ran my gun with real hot loads, soft loads and can on/off. All ran like a top.

PB

Stickman
10-23-23, 15:19
People taking stuff to limit certainly gives some perspective.
PB

When Centurion Arms first released barrels they used a real small gas port, which was awesome. Double taps from standing at 25 yards wasn't a big deal, and out to roughly 50 yards it was doable. The gun couldn't get dirty (we used .223 duty ammo), but clean and wet she was crazy smooth shooting with negligible recoil. With 5.56 ammo it could get dirty and was still super smooth.

Disciple
10-23-23, 16:02
People taking stuff to limit certainly gives some perspective. Using the lightest or softest recoil is not my goal, I am mostly interested in reliability. Which can be achieved in a number of ways as the Hide post illustrates.

In furtherance of that perspective here are two more posts from Anthony Deitmeier (TonyTheTiger) in that thread.

And even if the feel is snappy that's besides the point. The sights move less and fast pairs on paper have significantly less dispersion. That's what matters. I've got a whole pile of low mass rifles that might feel snappy to some but I can shoot a .14 second split on 40 yard paper and trust that the holes are within 3" of each other. Show me a full mass rifle that will do that. I'll wait. I've tried it so I know I'll be waiting for a while.

I do have a couple rifles set up for HD/truck gun stuff that use mil-spec ish components and they are reliable, but they shoot less than 500 rounds a year while my main match gun was 10k> pre rona, so I don't have equal amounts of data in both directions. My match rifle with all it's low mass components is just as reliable with the caveat that I actually wear parts out in that vs. the HD guns that will never wear out. I shoot all my game guns in sub zero temps and 100+ and they all work at both extremes. I don't really clean them either, pretty much just keep dumping Mobil 1 in.
I keep records of all my malfunctions in game guns, I don't have them in front of me but they say things like: gas rings smoked, cam pin broke, aluminum carriers = bad idea, trigger spring broke, extractor hook worn away, extractor spring weak, things like that. So basically wear items wearing out or in the case of aluminum carriers, an experiment that had poor and somewhat expected results.
No failures that I would directly attribute to the weight of reciprocating mass. Speaking of which, the people saying they're unreliable never say how or in what way they fail. They just parrot the conventional wisdom, and I would guess it's because they've never even tried the setup they're denigrating.

https://vimeo.com/561613289

mack7.62
10-23-23, 16:34

SR-15's are not carbine or mid they are KAC gas length. Of course I suppose a lot depends on the vintage of the rifle and barrel length but assuming newer and 14.5 or 16 a KAC should not need a heavy buffer or it would come with one. KAC puts a lot of work into building a balanced rifle designed for combat under all conditions, the idea that it comes with the wrong buffer or that it would work better with a different one does not ring true. American's like to tinker, this is not always a good thing. KAC does their own thing, like they refuse to fire a proof round with their bolts which they say takes up to 10,000 rounds off the bolt life but they build superior rifles.

"What I find is the really special feature on the barrel is the gas system. The low profile gas block is double pinned to the barrel and sits far forward in what I have seen referred to as a “longer then midlength” or “battle rifle” gas tube. This tube length is about an inch longer then mid and reduces gas pressure going back to the bolt carrier group, the difference in “smoothness” may be slight when compared to a midlength gas system, but compared to an M4 it is night and day."

Wake27
10-23-23, 21:07
SR-15's are not carbine or mid they are KAC gas length. Of course I suppose a lot depends on the vintage of the rifle and barrel length but assuming newer and 14.5 or 16 a KAC should not need a heavy buffer or it would come with one. KAC puts a lot of work into building a balanced rifle designed for combat under all conditions, the idea that it comes with the wrong buffer or that it would work better with a different one does not ring true. American's like to tinker, this is not always a good thing. KAC does their own thing, like they refuse to fire a proof round with their bolts which they say takes up to 10,000 rounds off the bolt life but they build superior rifles.

"What I find is the really special feature on the barrel is the gas system. The low profile gas block is double pinned to the barrel and sits far forward in what I have seen referred to as a “longer then midlength” or “battle rifle” gas tube. This tube length is about an inch longer then mid and reduces gas pressure going back to the bolt carrier group, the difference in “smoothness” may be slight when compared to a midlength gas system, but compared to an M4 it is night and day."

This is the 16”, the 14.5 carbine does have a standard middy gas length IIRC. And the 14.5 and 11.5s use the KAC HH buffer. Pretty sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mack7.62
10-24-23, 12:51
This is the 16”, the 14.5 carbine does have a standard middy gas length IIRC. And the 14.5 and 11.5s use the KAC HH buffer. Pretty sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not according to KAC, the 14.5 uses a longer than mid length.

https://www.knightarmco.com/12991/shop/rifle-partsaccessories/sr-15-parts/sr-15-gas-tube-mid-length

SR-15 E3 Gas Tube, Mid-Length
PN:95155

Replacement intermediate length gas tube assembly for the SR-15 IWS Series of rifles. It is slightly longer than mid length and slightly shorter than rifle length, and is compatible with SR-15 gas systems only.

Tubes Fit the following Knight’s Armament Rifle Models:

SR-15 E3 IWS Carbine SBR (14.5″ Barrel)

SR-15 E3 IWS Carbine Mod 0

SR-15 E3 IWS Carbine Mod 1

$67.27

Out of stock

Disciple
10-24-23, 13:19
$67 just for a replacement gas tube? They really don't want poors like me owning their rifles, do they. :nono:

BufordTJustice
10-24-23, 18:27
I run a Geissele Super 42 rifle spring and BCM Mk2 (A5) T1 buffer in my 16" SR15 mod2. LMT E-Carrier.

Smoothest AR I've ever shot. Comp gun smooth. Runs perfectly even bone-dry with PMC bronze 55gr, in 28F weather. Obviously I never run any of my guns bone dry. Bone dry = cleaned and stripped with brake cleaner. ZERO lube.

T0 is an easy step-down for colder weather (close to 0F), but I suspect I won't need it since all my practice ammo is hot .223 or 5.56 NATO pressure, and all my SD stuff is 5.56 NATO pressure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Disciple
10-24-23, 20:55
I run a Geissele Super 42 rifle spring and BCM Mk2 (A5) T1 buffer in my 16" SR15 mod2. LMT E-Carrier.

Are you still using Tubbs springs too or do you now prefer the Super 42 springs across the board?

BufordTJustice
10-24-23, 21:00
Are you still using Tubbs springs too or do you now prefer the Super 42 springs across the board?

Tubbs AR10 in my suppressed shorty.

I have found that the Geissele Super 42 Rifle springs either run superbly, or in a very "AK-ish" way, causing the gun to move and rock a lot. Using the Super 42 Rifle in my SBR brought that result; Tubbs was much smoother and also gave less gas to face.

26 Inf
10-24-23, 22:15
In furtherance of that perspective here are two more posts from Anthony Deitmeier (TonyTheTiger) in that thread.

I wish I would have read those posts a couple days ago. I built a dissy using a Del-Ton barrel with a .098 port. Would not lock back with a rifle buffer. Next range trip I broke my box of buffer parts as well as a spacer and carbine spring. Rifle buffer with all aluminum weights still wouldn't lock back.

Put in the spacer and carbine spring, ended up at 2.1 (HF scale that I bought for this extravaganza) and about 75 percent lock back. Ejecting around 4:00 to 5:00. Didn't cycle as smooth as my mid=lengths. So I removed the FSB and drilled the gas port to .110. I used a #39, a #37, and a #35 bit for the final and it pinned at .111.

Haven't shot it yet.

Wished I'd read those posts earlier, I'd have put foam in the carbine buffer and tried that.

HKGuns
10-25-23, 08:25
Several posters in this thread are using partial A5 setups, either BCM or OEM. I've always used the standard VLTOR setup with the VLTOR spring.

Why aren't you using the standard A5 spring? What is the advantage of using a spring other than the spring that comes with the A5 system?

All of my rifles have stock VLTOR parts and they all function reliably.

I am curious about all of this spring changing and what you're gaining, or hoping to gain.

Dutch110
10-25-23, 10:01
Several posters in this thread are using partial A5 setups, either BCM or OEM. I've always used the standard VLTOR setup with the VLTOR spring.

Why aren't you using the standard A5 spring? What is the advantage of using a spring other than the spring that comes with the A5 system?

I am curious about all of this spring changing and what you're gaining, or hoping to gain.

I don't think it is any different than tuning the spring and buffer weight in a standard carbine set up to work with how the rifle is gassed. I have A5 set ups in 4 of my rifles. All are FCD tubes and a Sprinco green. The difference is the weights. The two 5.56 guns have A5H2 weights, which work really well for how those guns are gassed. The other two are 7.62 x 39 rifles that have A5H4 buffers that also work really well. Just as an example. All guns run with cans. But with that set up run fine with our without, which is a requirement for me personally.

BufordTJustice
10-25-23, 14:05

The early Vltor copper washed springs were on the short side of the rifle spring spec. All the ones I have are the same length; which is about 1-1.25 coils shorter than a Colt or BCM rifle spring. A few coils shorter than Sprinco Green.

I only had it occur a few times, but this has occasionally resulted in failure to return to battery on a dirty gun, when using T-2/T-1/T-0 buffer weights.

I personally use springs for one of two reasons.

1) I want to minimize gun movement and run a lighter buffer while not forgoing ability to function when dirty.

2) I want to increase bolt lock time/delay bolt unlock time in a suppressed gun. Bringing obvious benefits of reduced gas to face, reduced fouling, longevity of lube, reduced toxic exposure, etc.

The Tubbs AR10 spring has an in-battery force that is roughly equivalent to, or slightly higher than, a Sprinco Red Spring (in a carbine RE). However, it's got a fully out of battery spring pressure that is equal or slightly weaker than a Sprinco Blue. Might be closer to the Hot White.

Which means that, for a suppressed shorty running an LMT EBCG, a significant increase in in-battery spring pressure presents a clearly observable decrease in both gas ejected from the ejection port, and a complete elimination of GTF from the charging handle. Even the lower receiver, Mag well, and trigger group stay cleaner (and wetter) for far longer.

Couple that benefit with an out-of-battery spring pressure that is well into the 'normal' range and that permits reliable lock back in all conditions, and the juice becomes worth the squeeze.

In seriousness, if you're in the DFW area, maybe we can sync up and you can run some rounds through it. The differences *really* become apparent while shooting indoors.

Caveat: the Tubbs runs poorly in my KAC and the Geissele runs poorly in my SBR. For the average bro, they are 100% better off just running an A5H2 and a Sprinco Green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Defaultmp3
10-25-23, 14:59
The Tubbs AR10 spring has an in-battery force that is roughly equivalent to, or slightly higher than, a Sprinco Red Spring (in a carbine RE). However, it's got a fully out of battery spring pressure that is equal or slightly weaker than a Sprinco Blue. Might be closer to the Hot White.FWIW, info from ARFCOM indicates that Tubbs measured some of his springs and Sprinco springs and came up with:

Tubb Flatwire - 10.5 lb closed, 16.3 lb open
Tubb .308 Flatwire - 13 lb closed, 16.7 lb open
Sprinco White - 8.3 lb closed, 16.3 lb open
Sprinco Red - 10.5 lb closed, 18.4 lb open
Sprinco Orange - 13.9 lb closed, 24.8 lb open

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fMVZbrnvu8

BufordTJustice
10-25-23, 15:03
FWIW, info from ARFCOM indicates that Tubbs measured some of his springs and Sprinco springs and came up with:

Tubb Flatwire - 10.5 lb closed, 16.3 lb open
Tubb .308 Flatwire - 13 lb closed, 16.7 lb open
Sprinco White - 8.3 lb closed, 16.3 lb open
Sprinco Red - 10.5 lb closed, 18.4 lb open
Sprinco Orange - 13.9 lb closed, 24.8 lb open

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fMVZbrnvu8

In a carbine receiver extension.

But even those prove my point. The Tubbs AR10 has 25% more in-battery spring pressure than a Sprinco Red and 10% less out-of-battery pressure.

The also supports my assessment of OOB pressure being between a White, Hot White, and a Blue.

HKGuns
10-25-23, 15:15
The early Vltor copper washed springs were on the short side of the rifle spring spec. All the ones I have are the same length; which is about 1-1.25 coils shorter than a Colt or BCM rifle spring. A few coils shorter than Sprinco Green.

I only had it occur a few times, but this has occasionally resulted in failure to return to battery on a dirty gun, when using T-2/T-1/T-0 buffer weights.

I personally use springs for one of two reasons.

1) I want to minimize gun movement and run a lighter buffer while not forgoing ability to function when dirty.

2) I want to increase bolt lock time/delay bolt unlock time in a suppressed gun. Bringing obvious benefits of reduced gas to face, reduced fouling, longevity of lube, reduced toxic exposure, etc.

The Tubbs AR10 spring has an in-battery force that is roughly equivalent to, or slightly higher than, a Sprinco Red Spring (in a carbine RE). However, it's got a fully out of battery spring pressure that is equal or slightly weaker than a Sprinco Blue. Might be closer to the Hot White.

Which means that, for a suppressed shorty running an LMT EBCG, a significant increase in in-battery spring pressure presents a clearly observable decrease in both gas ejected from the ejection port, and a complete elimination of GTF from the charging handle. Even the lower receiver, Mag well, and trigger group stay cleaner (and wetter) for far longer.

Couple that benefit with an out-of-battery spring pressure that is well into the 'normal' range and that permits reliable lock back in all conditions, and the juice becomes worth the squeeze.

In seriousness, if you're in the DFW area, maybe we can sync up and you can run some rounds through it. The differences *really* become apparent while shooting indoors.

Caveat: the Tubbs runs poorly in my KAC and the Geissele runs poorly in my SBR. For the average bro, they are 100% better off just running an A5H2 and a Sprinco Green.

Thanks for taking the time to write that detailed response, I get it now.

Unfortunately I'm nowhere near DFW or I'd absolutely take you up on that offer.

I have a springco red and green in stock but I've resisted the temptation to just put one in to replace the stock A5 spring. Which would you use? Green or Red to replace the A5 spring?

Maybe I'll give one or both of them some range time side by side to determine the difference.

BufordTJustice
10-25-23, 15:30
Thanks for taking the time to write that detailed response, I get it now.

Unfortunately I'm nowhere near DFW or I'd absolutely take you up on that offer.

I have a springco red and green in stock but I've resisted the temptation to just put one in to replace the stock A5 spring. Which would you use? Green or Red to replace the A5 spring?

Maybe I'll give one or both of them some range time side by side to determine the difference.

Green by a lot, though Alan at Sprinco has confirmed they both fit and work.

SOLGW ships a green spring in every complete gun and lower they make (and A5H2 buffer). That is basically the best standard setup that I know of; largest breadth of function and also runs really well. The only carbine based setup that I've felt could challenge it for feel is the Geissele Super 42 carbine setup...but only in some guns.

Sprinco Green + A5H2 is a well proven, and good, 'recipe' at this point.

Have also had good luck with Colt (from Specialized Armament) and BCM 17-4 rifle springs. They tuck in between the Sprinco Green and the std Vltor springs in terms of strength.

Disciple
10-25-23, 15:40
Just to throw another into the mix the JP Tuned & Polished rifle spring is noticeably smoother than a Colt spring just cycling by hand.

HKGuns
10-25-23, 15:53

SOLGW ships a green spring in every complete gun and lower they make (and A5H2 buffer). That is basically the best standard setup that I know of; largest breadth of function and also runs really well. The only carbine based setup that I've felt could challenge it for feel is the Geissele Super 42 carbine setup...but only in some guns.

Have also had good luck with Colt (from Specialized Armament) and BCM 17-4 rifle springs. They tuck in between the Sprinco Green and the std Vltor springs in terms of strength.

Thanks, I've resisted fixing what isn't broken for a long time.

I just swapped an A5 spring for a SC green in one of my 18" rifles that is sporting the standard A2 VLTOR buffer.

I won't shoot it any time soon, as I'm heading to my hunting property for Deer season and won't be back "home" for a month or so......

BufordTJustice
10-25-23, 16:27
Thanks, I've resisted fixing what isn't broken for a long time.

I just swapped an A5 spring for a SC green in one of my 18" rifles that is sporting the standard A2 VLTOR buffer.

I won't shoot it any time soon, as I'm heading to my hunting property for Deer season and won't be back "home" for a month or so......

I'm actually interested what you think of that combo.

I think that the A5 system is unique in that it has *so much* additional margin for function, that it affords us the opportunity to tune and play around with stuff like this and still achieve 100% reliability. We may be throwing away some margin for function on one end of the envelope or the other.... but it's *EXCESS* margin.

titsonritz
10-25-23, 17:43

^^^This is what I have in the majority of my guns and has been my standard go to since IG (may he Rest In Peace) turned me onto it years ago. It has been a proven runner in my 12.5C, 14.5C, 14.5M, 16C, 16M, 18R & 20R guns, I see no reason to change.

As to the OP, I’ve always thought carbine buffers belong on the bottom of the ocean, if your shit won’t run with an H buffer something is ****ed up.

BufordTJustice
10-25-23, 17:49
^^^This is what I have in the majority of my guns and has been my standard go to since IG (may he Rest In Peace) turned me onto it years ago. It has been a proven runner in my 12.5C, 14.5C, 14.5M, 16C, 16M, 18R & 20R guns, I see no reason to change.

As to the OP, I’ve always thought carbine buffers belong on the bottom of the ocean, if your shit won’t run with an H buffer something is ****ed up.

Yep. I got it from Will (IraqGunz) as well. RIP, Will.

HKGuns
10-25-23, 18:56
Yep. I got it from Will (IraqGunz) as well. RIP, Will.

I remember him also, didn't suffer any of the bullshit dealt by some on a constant basis and rarely pulled a punch. Was a large reason behind why I joined this site vs. the animal farm that will go unmentioned.

He was actually a bit intimidating! Learned a lot reading his posts and its probably why I actually have a few of those springs in my stock.

-RIP-

georgeib
10-25-23, 21:18
Just to throw another into the mix the JP Tuned & Polished rifle spring is noticeably smoother than a Colt spring just cycling by hand.

I switched my Sprinco Greens for JP springs. Definitely smoother.

Dutch110
10-26-23, 10:59

I have a G barrel in my 11.5 running suppressed. It started life as a blem BCM lower so I left the carbine buffer tube set up in it. I have the G42 with H3 headed to me this week. Will be my only gun without an A5 set up and I am curious as to how it performs. Worst case scenario It goes in the spare parts bin and I switch it over to the aforementioned A5H2 SC Green set up. Wondering under what conditions you have seen the G42 set up not work well?

Defaultmp3
10-26-23, 11:41
But even those prove my point. The Tubbs AR10 has 25% more in-battery spring pressure than a Sprinco Red and 10% less out-of-battery pressure.

The also supports my assessment of OOB pressure being between a White, Hot White, and a Blue.Well... yes, that was why I was posting those numbers, to give further support to your claims via hard measurements, even if Tubbs only had an n = 1 for each spring.

BufordTJustice
10-26-23, 12:12
Well... yes, that was why I was posting those numbers, to give further support to your claims via hard measurements, even if Tubbs only had an n = 1 for each spring.

I realized that afterwards. Thanks man. [emoji106]

Just had twins. Very little sleep.

BufordTJustice
10-26-23, 12:13
I have a G barrel in my 11.5 running suppressed. It started life as a blem BCM lower so I left the carbine buffer tube set up in it. I have the G42 with H3 headed to me this week. Will be my only gun without an A5 set up and I am curious as to how it performs. Worst case scenario It goes in the spare parts bin and I switch it over to the aforementioned A5H2 SC Green set up. Wondering under what conditions you have seen the G42 set up not work well?

I've seen the GA Super42 work best in short carbine setups. Marginal in 13.7" middies, 16" middies, 18" rifle gas, etc.

JediGuy
10-26-23, 12:27
Just had twins. Very little sleep.

1. Good to see you posting again

2. Congrats. Twins are great, moreso as they hit the one year mark.

Dutch110
10-26-23, 13:56
I've seen the GA Super42 work best in short carbine setups. Marginal in 13.7" middies, 16" middies, 18" rifle gas, etc.

Ahh good to know. Should work well on my 11.5 then. And congrats on the twins! We have a few sets in our family as well. It will get easier in another 14 - 18 years :D

BufordTJustice
10-26-23, 13:57
Ahh good to know. Should work well on my 11.5 then. And congrats on the twins! We have a few sets in our family as well. It will get easier in another 14 - 18 years :D

Thanks!

The amount of sleep I am *not* getting feels like a stakeout in my old unit. Lol.