PDA

View Full Version : Bolt lubrication

KS25-06
10-23-23, 14:09
Decided to go through my AR's, many of which have not been shot, lube them and sight them in. Watched many videos and read military manuals and other books on care and lubrication. The only place I could find any talk of lubing the locking lugs was in a book on building competitive AR's by Glen Zediker. I am curious as to why so many do not think they need to be lubed. I lube the lugs on all my high power rifles because of the risk of galling.

markm
10-23-23, 14:26
I am curious as to why so many do not think they need to be lubed. I lube the lugs on all my high power rifles because of the risk of galling.

Who knows? I think the barrel extension will gall no matter what, but the lugs lube helps suspend fouling at a minimum. I just try to keep the bold face free of lube.

Stickman
10-23-23, 15:26
Some people tell you the AR needs very little lube, and state the rails on the BCG are all thats needed. The standard military thing was "coat all metal parts heavy enough that you can almost see the lube flow down them".

I can remember being in Iraq where the heavier the lube applied, the more it looked like pudding after an hour or so outside the wire. The baby powder fine silt/ sand was horrific. Even in vehicles it was bad, but patrols on quads were disgusting. Nothing like being out all night and spending hours cleaning your weapon even though it was wrapped up.

I've used some dry lubes that worked well under range conditions, but I'm not sure they were ever good enough for extended LEO use, never mind combat patrols.