PDA

View Full Version : Losing Your Dog Sucks

WillBrink
10-27-23, 12:57
I had to put my beloved ex racer greyhound down a few days ago, and it hit me like a ton of bricks. She was 14, had a very good life, and was a special dog. Just like people, we connect with some dogs more than others, and she was that dog. I have another, she's a great dog too, but not like the one I just lost. Anyone who has had a relationship with a dog like that and had to put them down knows what I'm talking about. As someone said "dogs will give you some of your best days, and one of your worst." That is dead accurate.

Someone also made the astute observation the pain you feel when they leave is proportional to the love and the joy they gave, and that's true too.

Also, all my animals died from various things without any assist, this was the first I had to decide it was time, and hold her paw as the vet put her down, and while she went peacefully, wow, did that suck for me. It took all my fortitude to be there for that, and I can't really hold it against those just not able/willing to do that. I doubt it gets any easier.

For some, losing that dog is as bad, if not worse, than losing a human. Yes, it's been studied (1). I suppose it means I have gone soft and all that, but that's how it is. So, venting here, but also posting for those who know the feelz, it's real and it sucks big time.

(1) https://blog.theanimalrescuesite.greatergood.com/gfl-study-losing-dog/

markm
10-27-23, 13:07
For some, losing that dog is as bad, if not worse, than losing a human.

It is much worse. Sorry to read about your loss.

StainlessSteelRat
10-27-23, 13:27
Sorry for your loss, Will. They have such a special place in our hearts. We put our old Shepherd mix down 5 years ago, just short of his 17th birthday. I still miss the old rascal. He was a better person than most of the people I know.

Gabriel556
10-27-23, 13:34
It sucks soooo bad. We have a 15 year old Italian greyhound that is beginning to show signs that the day is approaching. She’s not immobile yet, but she’s losing hearing, her eyesight isn’t great, and she is on a special food diet for kidney function. She no longer wants to be held, but barks as soon as she wants something instead.

We have a 5 year old cattle dog too who is active but is a little too rough for the old one now.

Adrenaline_6
10-27-23, 13:37
Sorry man. That sucks to hear. I've been there and will be again.

hotbiggun42
10-27-23, 13:43
Im sure she was a good girl!

arptsprt
10-27-23, 14:37
I can’t add anymore to your description of how hard it is to lose a close companion like this, Will. Sorry for your loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChattanoogaPhil
10-27-23, 15:05
Sorry to hear of your loss.

Prayers during this difficult time.

titsonritz
10-27-23, 15:46
Yeah, really sucks. I just had to put down my black lab I had a couple months shy of 14 years on the 25th of last month. She was the best dog I ever had and I’ve been blessed with some good ones. Sorry for your loss.

.45fan
10-27-23, 16:21
Sorry for your loss. Our female Doberman passed a little over a year ago and it crushed me.

.45fan
10-27-23, 16:27
A friend sent this via email after our Doberman passed, hope it helps.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231027/58d4ed8657d80369ff38062691045bde.jpg

CrowCommand
10-27-23, 16:59
Wishing you the best dealing with your loss. I know the feeling and it hurts. Don’t put off too long to start with a new friend, though….I waited 2 years to get another dog and didn’t realize how miserable I was.

Artos
10-27-23, 17:24
That's just the deal of being a dog owner...you are gonna out live them.

I've buried 3 labs & had my vizsla Narco cremated a little over 2 years ago & it was the toughest for us so far...he grew up with the kids & watched them turn into adults. He made it 12 years which is the oldest dog we've had. My sister lives north in SA & does hand glass work & made me some cool whisky glasses with his ashes sprinkled in. Incorporated that red hound dog color they have & a black stripe to represent his collar. Son got a paper weight & girls got a cross.

Almost picked up another puppy here recently, but not doing 3 dogs anymore...our drahthaar is 10 plus, looking old & have a 6yr old viz.

Sorry Will, only thing that works for me is time & getting a new puppy.

jsbhike
10-27-23, 17:35
Sorry to hear about your pup, it is really hard. We just got our first one a month ago after our last one died during Thanksgiving of 2020.

HKGuns
10-27-23, 18:18
Funny you mention it. My daughter (8 months pregnant) just had to put hers down as well.

She is a hysterical wreck and it isn’t ideal for the baby.

High drama right now.

Condolences, I still miss my Lab after putting her down in 2018.

She’s taking it far harder than when my Mother died in August. To exactly your point.

SteyrAUG
10-27-23, 18:40
Just lost my last one a few months ago. I've had dogs all my life, when I moved to Iowa 6 years ago I had three Shepherds (2 German, 1 Belgian). The loss of the last one was so hard it might be awhile before I get another dog. Every time I walk into a room, I expect to see her. Every time I come home and pull in the driveway, I expect to hear her barking.

I probably don't go 30 minutes without thinking about or remembering her every day. Everything constantly reminds me of her and the house is unbelievably quiet.

Probably the worst thing, she is the last of the line. I got my first GSD back in 1991 and trained her, soon after I ended up with a Rottie as well who also got the exact same training. Since then I've always had two dogs and every time we lost one, we got a puppy so that the remaining dog wouldn't suffer the loneliness. As a consequence each new dog was conditioned and trained by the example of the existing dog and it made it a lot easier. But we didn't do that with the last one, even though the loss of my GSD two years ago was difficult and painful. Our situation at the time made getting a new dog completely impractical to the point of being irresponsible.

So for the last two years it was just my wife and I and our Belgian and it really broke our hearts badly when we lost her. We also screwed up the timing, very late into things we discovered she had lung cancer when we believed we were dealing with some kind of food allergy. The veterinarian didn't catch it and it wasn't established until I asked for x rays when I suspected something like lung cancer.

We knew we only had a few more days and I wasn't gonna risk going through the weekend. But she was still happy, still wanting to go outside and look at squirrels and stuff and I didn't want to short her any good days. But my plan was to put her down Friday regardless. Unfortunately for me, despite starting out Wednesday happy and even eating at about 2am Thursday she began having shortness of breath which worsened until she finally took a heart attack and died. I would have done anything to have prevented her having to go through that, but we still thought we had a couple days left. Sadly there is nothing like a 24 hour vet in town and the emergency vet is an hour long car drive that I wasn't about to attempt. The vet in town didn't open until 7am but we lost her around 4am.

I didn't realize how much she was struggling through the pain simply because she was such a strong and determined dog. I realized after she passed that she had only been sick one time in her entire life and that was when she threw up a couple of weeks prior which I thought was a food allergy.

The whole event is still painful and pretty unacceptable. She deserved better. I know I provided her with a better life than most people would have, but it's small comfort in the end.

Pappabear
10-27-23, 20:14
We have two dogs and one "Benelli" is that dog. She is the best dog ever and speaks English, its crazy. So smart and so good. My wife and I talk about that day and we are like no effing way.

Scotty Van Pelt on ESPN did a piece when he lost his dog and it was great. Those of us who know, know.

Sorry for your loss, it really sucks.

PB

ddbtoth
10-27-23, 20:39
I dread the day I lose my buddy

It’s always hard.

kerplode
10-27-23, 20:43
Will - I'm sorry for your loss, brother. It sucks and it's gonna hurt for a while. :-(

So for the last two years it was just my wife and I and our Belgian and it really broke our hearts badly when we lost her. We also screwed up the timing, very late into things we discovered she had lung cancer when we believed we were dealing with some kind of food allergy. The veterinarian didn't catch it and it wasn't established until I asked for x rays when I suspected something like lung cancer.

We knew we only had a few more days and I wasn't gonna risk going through the weekend. But she was still happy, still wanting to go outside and look at squirrels and stuff and I didn't want to short her any good days. But my plan was to put her down Friday regardless. Unfortunately for me, despite starting out Wednesday happy and even eating at about 2am Thursday she began having shortness of breath which worsened until she finally took a heart attack and died. I would have done anything to have prevented her having to go through that, but we still thought we had a couple days left. Sadly there is nothing like a 24 hour vet in town and the emergency vet is an hour long car drive that I wasn't about to attempt. The vet in town didn't open until 7am but we lost her around 4am.

I didn't realize how much she was struggling through the pain simply because she was such a strong and determined dog. I realized after she passed that she had only been sick one time in her entire life and that was when she threw up a couple of weeks prior which I thought was a food allergy.

The whole event is still painful and pretty unacceptable. She deserved better. I know I provided her with a better life than most people would have, but it's small comfort in the end.

Damn, dude...We went through an very similar experience with our 12yo girl back in Feb. She was more or less her usual self, but had been struggling to get around a little more than usual for the couple weeks leading up. Then, out of the blue, her abdomen swelled. After a battery of tests and a red herring diagnosis, we found out on a Friday that it was an aggressive hemangiosarcoma in her spleen that had metastasized everywhere. The vet said it was terminal but that she probably had a week. She was in good spirits though and it was late evening on Friday by that point, so I made the decision to bring her home, planning to spoil the shit out of her for one last weekend, and to say goodbye on Monday. Well...It turned out to be one of the most brutal and heart-breaking weekends of my entire life. There isn't any after-hours or emergency vet care anywhere near here, so in the end, we were only able to sit with her and tell her she was a good girl and that we loved her while she went the hard way. ****...It still wrecks me to think about it. I miss the shit out of that dog and wish more than anything that I could have made her last moments more comfortable.

But all I can do now is think about the good times and spoil the shit out of her brother for however long he has left. They were littermates...

I'm sorry for your loss and what you had to go through. I don't wish that on anyone...

SteyrAUG
10-27-23, 22:03
Will - I'm sorry for your loss, brother. It sucks and it's gonna hurt for a while. :-(

Damn, dude...We went through an very similar experience with our 12yo girl back in Feb. She was more or less her usual self, but had been struggling to get around a little more than usual for the couple weeks leading up. Then, out of the blue, her abdomen swelled. After a battery of tests and a red herring diagnosis, we found out on a Friday that it was an aggressive hemangiosarcoma in her spleen that had metastasized everywhere. The vet said it was terminal but that she probably had a week. She was in good spirits though and it was late evening on Friday by that point, so I made the decision to bring her home, planning to spoil the shit out of her for one last weekend, and to say goodbye on Monday. Well...It turned out to be one of the most brutal and heart-breaking weekends of my entire life. There isn't any after-hours or emergency vet care anywhere near here, so in the end, we were only able to sit with her and tell her she was a good girl and that we loved her while she went the hard way. ****...It still wrecks me to think about it. I miss the shit out of that dog and wish more than anything that I could have made her last moments more comfortable.

But all I can do now is think about the good times and spoil the shit out of her brother for however long he has left. They were littermates...

I'm sorry for your loss and what you had to go through. I don't wish that on anyone...

Yep, that's what I did. Just tried to tell her it was gonna be ok. Would have done anything to know she didn't have another night left, I'd have done it the right way and even that just sucks.

Artos
10-27-23, 22:50
I wanted to put Narco down days before the fam relented...delay won't happen again. Never been through that where he just stopped eating / living from one day to the next & had to argue over the ending.

My first dog (Stogie) got poisoned along with others in the neighborhood & died at the vet (8yr).
2nd (coyote rex) had some weird deal I swear was undetected heart worms where he went from coughing to dead in 24 hours. (6yr)
3rd (Scout, came from Stogie's dad but another dam) Died from a 7 foot'r rattle snake while dove hunting & was only 6yr.

Narco survived his own rattler bite in the neck while hunting as a youngster albeit touch and go the first few hours...he's the first family member i've ever willingly took to watch the lights go out. Even mercy can suck.

Ron3
10-28-23, 06:49
Been through it. Cats & dogs.

Sorry for your loss, I know it hurts.

titsonritz
10-28-23, 11:25
Funny you mention it. My daughter (8 months pregnant) just had to put hers down as well.

She is a hysterical wreck and it isn’t ideal for the baby.

High drama right now.

Condolences, I still miss my Lab after putting her down in 2018.

She’s taking it far harder than when my Mother died in August. To exactly your point.

This hits home. My big Buddy went down in Jan 2018 and Mom followed later that year in Nov, I thought my black lab was going to pull a “Where the Red Fern Grows” she just laid on his grave and wouldn’t eat for three days. She was completely different dog after that. She gave up chasing the ball and dig digging for rodents, she was a complete psycho for both. On top of my own heartbreak it was heartbreaking to watch hers. Like I mentioned earlier in this thread I had to put her down last month. Yeah it really ****ing sucks, I’ve been through two divorces, gone through plenty of women I’ve loved hard, kids are grown and doing their thing, Mom dropped dead unexpectedly, had multiple friends precede me in death, but losing my Kaytee dog has left more alone than I have ever felt in my life. It truly sucks saying goodbye to a dog.

triggerjerk
10-28-23, 11:44
I was told that Hay Dog was an American Pit Terrier. We were together 11yrs. Quite frankly, her companionship saved me. I am sure she was a much loved and respected princess in an earlier life. She was not aggressive. Never started the first fight. She did shut down aggressive dogs from Cocker Spaniels to Rotts. All without hair loss, much less bloodshed for any of the dogs involved. Her passion for life was chasing squirrels. I brought home a baby squirrel whose eyes weren't fully open. She would let that squirrel nurse until she had hickies on her teats. One night I awoke to the sound of her retching. I shooed her outside and got back in bed. Got up later to let her back in. She was dead, having choked to death. I will always love her. I will never forgive myself.

utahjeepr
10-28-23, 21:50
Definitely sucks. Sorry Will. Since I tend to take in rescues, cast offs, and strays I generally start with older dogs, so I probably suffer losing dogs more often than the average. Doesn't make it any easier.

I just try to take comfort that I (hopefully) improved their lives half as much as they improved mine.

mrbieler
10-28-23, 23:09
Very sorry for the loss. It sucks. Long time cat owners. Mostly rescues. We've always had 2~4 at any given time. Have had to put down more than a few and it's rough every time even knowing its the right thing to do and we gave them great lives. This August I had to put down my absolute favorite little guy. He was my constant companion. Inside, outside, working in the garage, car rides, etc. Insisted in being involved in everything we did. Amazing personality. Putting him down was devastating. I still keep expecting him to pop his little head around the corner to say hi.

mpom
10-29-23, 10:23
Sorry for your loss, Will.
Buried 2 dogs, have a 12 yo, still full of life but slowing down. Hate to think of losing her.

Mark

triggerjerk
10-29-23, 13:15
Will, I would like to apologize. This thread has had me hung up in my own experience. I want to offer you my best in this trying time. As has been said here, the pain is proof of genuine feelings. I'm glad you have another dog. I hope you'll have more. It's always bothered me when I've heard people say they have been hurt too badly to get another dog. I am on my 3rd generation of rescue dogs since the white dog. 2 dogs each generation til this one. Just recently added a 6 month old dirt road find to the two 7 yr olds in hand. This latest dog may be the one to outlive me. All have been good compadres. May you and yours enjoy meaningful companionship within each day to come.

Alex V
10-30-23, 16:34
I never realized just how painful losing a fur baby is until it happened to me about 6 years ago. When I met my wife she had a Pom and she became our dog when we moved in together. I fell totally in love with that little fur ball. When we lost her I was a total mess for a long time.

We now have another Pom and I saw this thread Friday night when we were at the emergency vet with her. Turns out she was fine, just dramatic, but being at at emergency vet at midnight and seeing this thread brought back those terrible memories and fears. So much so that I couldn't bring myself to opening the thread until now.

I'd like to tell you it gets better, but you always miss them. You just learn to live with the pain of missing them.

mrbieler
10-30-23, 17:19
They are a short chapter in our life but we are all of theirs. One of the quotes I like to remind myself of.

WillBrink
10-31-23, 15:11
A little something I put up for now. Will put her ashes in the ocean at some point as that was her favorite place and ashes in a box aint freedom. I put both parents ashes into the free ocean too, as they were both sailors of old and would have never agreed to being left in some damn box. I loved that damn dog.

https://i.imgur.com/iowXsq7.png?1

ChattanoogaPhil
10-31-23, 15:25
—————————

WillBrink
10-31-23, 15:28
If you click on the Imgur BBCode "Copy" button (second from bottom) it will copy the link to your clipboard. Then you can just paste the link in your post and the image will display once you "Submit Reply" here. You can first check with "Preview Post".

https://i.imgur.com/jhxLH9U.png

Roger roger

Rob96
11-01-23, 02:32
I know exactly what you are going through and actually avoided this thread. July 21st we took our Lab, Ziva, to the vet. She had slight abdominal swelling and a little feverish. Had bloodwork drawn. The next day (Saturday) vet calls to say some enzymes are elevated and would like to schedule an ultrasound which was set for the next Friday. She also emails the blood results for "just in case you have to take her to the ER". Wake up Sunday and the abdominal swelling really bad and she has labored breathing. We then noticed blood in her nose. Rushed her to the ER and had the ultrasound done to confirm cancer of the Spleen with spread. Abdomen was filling with blood. Was crushed to make the decision. That was July 23rd.

Yesterday while at work I check my Gmail on my phone and see an email from Home Again her microchip company. I then went in my account to cancel the service and of course they ask for a reason and I selected deceased. The Rainbow Bridge then appears. I cried and actually tearing up now typing this.