PDA

View Full Version : Preferred AR set ups for hunting

TBAR_94
10-29-23, 18:23
I think I want to try taking a deer or pig with an AR this fall/winter. I’ve hunted all my life but generally with a bolt gun or lever action. What I don’t want is an AR-10, just because of weight/handling. I also don’t want to use a .223, I’m sure it can kill deer but I hunt in some thick stuff in the SE where tracking can be tough even with a 30-30.

I’ve got plenty of lowers so probably just looking for an upper. As I understand it my options are basically 6.5 Grendel, .350 Legend, or .300 AAC. Essentially I want to be able to drop deer/hogs out to about 150 yards. I don’t reload so factory hunting ammo is going to be important. Any recommendations on uppers/calibers to look at?

jsbhike
10-29-23, 18:39
.350 Legend currently(last few years to the present) is very available in central KY and I have seen online mentions of people noticing the same.

rushca01
10-29-23, 20:10
White tail deer in IN, 300 blackout has done the job nicely. I’m on privately owned land and I don’t take long shots. I use a LMT upper and NF NX8 1x8 LPVO.

czgunner
10-29-23, 21:48
6.8 SPC is worth a look.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

AKDoug
10-29-23, 23:55
Barnes 5.56 62 grain TSX bullets punch well above their weight. I've watched one shot kills on caribou, black tail deer, and black bears with them. That said, when I hunt those animals with an AR I use a 6.8 SPC.

SBRSarge
10-30-23, 00:15
I’ve killed many deer with both 300blk and 350 Legend. Two N. Florida hogs (205 and 182 pound) have ended up in the freezer thanks to the 110 gr Barnes. Both hogs dropped where they stood.

I use all copper bullets; Barnes 110 grain with the blk and Bear Creek Ballistics 160 or 140 grain with the Legend.

Don’t discount the 223/5.56. The Barnes loads are great as AKDoug mentions, especially at your short-ish range where they’ll have lots of the speed they want for good expansion.

There is a huge thread on Rokslide about 223 and large game. Read it with an open mind. There seem to be a whole lot of big game dropping to the 77gr TMK as well as other 223 bullets.

https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/223-for-bear-deer-elk-and-moose.130488/

mark5pt56
10-30-23, 06:39
I ended my hunting in Virginia with a .300 BO pistol and a red dot. If you can see it, you can hit it. I was hunting in thick brush and forest, nothing over 75 yards. of course there was someone fields that I dreamed of "sniping" one from afar and wasted a lot of time waiting with a precision rig. If not wanting to get into another caliber, choose a good bonded soft point in the .223/5.56. I did use supers(110 blacktip) with the .300. Did cycle through the others, 6.8, 6.5, etc. They are dropped the same as a 180 30-06, died just as fast regardless of calibers, just hit them properly.
I used this set up as I didn't know the area, 62 TBBC behind the ear-pop and flop, about 140 yards.
http://i.imgur.com/rUpl2Q9.jpg (https://imgur.com/rUpl2Q9)

Alpha-17
10-30-23, 08:31
.300 BLK with the Barnes 110gr TAC-TX does wonders on whitetail for my wife out of her AR pistol. Probably do a bit better out of a full rifle.

rushca01
10-30-23, 09:05
.300 BLK with the Barnes 110gr TAC-TX does wonders on whitetail for my wife out of her AR pistol. Probably do a bit better out of a full rifle.

Honestly, that’s the beauty of the 300blk, it loves that pistol barrel length, nothing really gained going to 16”.

ChrisM516
10-30-23, 09:50
I just took my first deer two weeks ago with Barnes 70 gr TSX in 5.56. 72 yards from a 16" barrel with an ACOG. Broke both shoulders with a complete pass-through. The deer did a full barrel roll in the air before landing on its back and did not move from that spot. Left about a quarter-sized exit wound. Average-sized doe here in SC.

10/10 will do again.

Dutch110
10-30-23, 12:17
Don't sleep on 7.62 X 39 either. You can build one that is both accurate and reliable but you'll need to ignore the plethora of low cost parts providers out there that seem to be drawn to that caliber.

robbins290
10-30-23, 13:02
I been hunting with my carbine for a while now. Its a cheap Windham Weaponry in 5.56 with a Leopold VX-2 3-9x40. It has shot and killed alot of deer.

I would not be scared to use it with the right bullet.

If you want something bigger, the 762x39 would be perfect.

B Cart
10-30-23, 13:16
I agree that 300BLK 110gr Barnes bullets would fit the bill well. I also hunt with 6.5 Grendel with good results. I wouldn't hesitate to use either of those at the ranges you're hunting.

1_click_off
10-30-23, 19:11
I went on a hog hunting trip and I was shooting 308, buddy with 350 legend, another with 223 with Barnes. I really didn’t see any difference in how far they would run after being hit. We had another guy with a 300WM and that was a noticeable difference, but the other 3 were negligible. I would put money into a nice optic and some good shooting sticks (primos trigger sticks are decent) before investing in another caliber.

TBAR_94
10-30-23, 19:17
Trigger sticks are great, I use them a lot.

Sounds like the general consensus is that all the normal AR calibers will will get it done. I will probably be shopping for a .350 Upper just because I can build it out as a hunting gun. All my other ARs are purpose built to do other stuff.

SBRSarge
10-31-23, 02:23
Trigger sticks are great, I use them a lot.

Sounds like the general consensus is that all the normal AR calibers will will get it done. I will probably be shopping for a .350 Upper just because I can build it out as a hunting gun. All my other ARs are purpose built to do other stuff.

You’ll be well served with the 350.

Are any of your lowers an SBR?

I built mine with a 12.5” barrel, and added a GSL Technologies 350 Legend can on the end. It is sweet to shoot with minimal recoil and noise. And handy in thick stuff.

LDM
11-05-23, 08:41
I have taken a couple of deer with a 300 BLK, but have gone to 6.8 shooting Hornady 120gr SST.

Stickman
11-05-23, 16:37
White tail deer in IN, 300 blackout has done the job nicely. I’m on privately owned land and I don’t take long shots. I use a LMT upper and NF NX8 1x8 LPVO.

Same here, I use the 110 grain Barnes TAC-TX (early military load) and have never had a deer go far at all. I had one circle around and drop 20 yards away, the rest have dropped in place. I use a Noveske upper that Johnny gave me, with a 1-5 Leupold.

indianalex01
11-05-23, 18:12
I’ve been using a few different weapons in 223/556. Sig MCX, 516, Colt 6933 and this year rolling an H&R A1. The loads I’ve used is MK318 SOST, Fusion/Gold dot 62gn. The A1 I am going to use Federal LE223T1 or Gold Dot. Both in 55gn

TexHill
11-05-23, 18:15
6.5 Grendel. Gives you near .308 performance from an AR15 platform. Larue offers a Grendel upper with an 18" barrel that is dead accurate. Mark Larue was sold on the 6.5 Grendel after taking an elk with it at 400 yards.

Hank6046
11-05-23, 18:38
6.5 Grendel. Gives you near .308 performance from an AR15 platform. Larue offers a Grendel upper with an 18" barrel that is dead accurate. Mark Larue was sold on the 6.5 Grendel after taking an elk with it at 400 yards.

Great round, I wish there was more support for it in the market like there has been for 6.5 Creedmoor

gaijin
11-05-23, 18:44
Barnes 110gr TAC-TX/300 Blk. In a handload at ranges similar to .30/30.

64 gr and 75 gr Gold Dot .223 have worked well on Ks. Whitetail as well.

indianalex01
11-05-23, 19:13

The Grendel is a dying round. You don’t find it many places and it’s pricey. If someone wants near 308 performance, then get a 308.

Hank6046
11-05-23, 19:52
The Grendel is a dying round. You don’t find it many places and it’s pricey. If someone wants near 308 performance, then get a 308.

As a guy who hunts with a 308 AR10, the 6.5 Grendel shoots flatter than a 308, and weight of the rifle is generally noticeably less. I'm not saying that the ammo isn't hard to find, same with proprietary magazines, but there are benefits to 6.5 Grendel over 308

indianalex01
11-05-23, 20:09
As a guy who hunts with a 308 AR10, the 6.5 Grendel shoots flatter than a 308, and weight of the rifle is generally noticeably less. I'm not saying that the ammo isn't hard to find, same with proprietary magazines, but there are benefits to 6.5 Grendel over 308

Fair enough.. tell me why someone would want an oddball round over let’s say 308? Going 6.5 I get but Grendel I say no. 308 rifles can be light (Ruger SFAR and others). Grendel can’t touch 308 with availability, choice of loads and price. 6.5 makes more sense. Grendel is going the way of 6.8 SPC and 224 Valk.

Send it...
11-05-23, 20:50
I just killed another buck the other day with the 70 TSX handload. 160 yds. Recovered the slug. Under two hundred, it works fine. Bears in the orchard get the same, Except headshots. No debate here, 556 works. I like the ACOG on a 16" upper in the truck.

Hank6046
11-05-23, 21:40
Fair enough.. tell me why someone would want an oddball round over let’s say 308? Going 6.5 I get but Grendel I say no. 308 rifles can be light (Ruger SFAR and others). Grendel can’t touch 308 with availability, choice of loads and price. 6.5 makes more sense. Grendel is going the way of 6.8 SPC and 224 Valk.

So this is funny because on Friday I literally sold my M&P 10 to a guy who was looking at a Ruger SFAR but didn't buy one because of quality issues he experienced. That being said, I do love my 7.62/308 AR (ADM UIC-10A) and constantly wonder why I don't shoot it more, that is until I put myself on a timer or go hunting with it (as I will in on the 18th) and realize that this is heavier, more unwieldy and generally more unpleasant to shoot over the 5.56 counterparts I own and train on more frequently, and while I haven't hunted with a 5.56/223 version of my ARs I will say that the times I actually have shot a deer with 308 it tends to bring them down here and now vs having to search through a swamp at 6-8pm at night with something like a .243 (ask me how I know).

All that being said, yes 6.5 Grendel is probably going the way of the Dodo, but that doesn't mean it should. I can't help but think of the times that we as the US have come back to things we already knew 20-30 years after the fact as breakthroughs while we try to accomplish the same results at the expense of the individual (Soldier or Marine).

grizzman
11-05-23, 21:57
I didn't realize the 6.5 Grendel's popularity is waning. What's it being replaced with....6mm ARC, which sure doesn't seem very popular yet?

I'm working up a new load for hogs, and have been testing handloads for both the 6.8 SPC and 6.5 Grendel. I'm not even considering taking a 308 Win or 6.5 CM "AR", since the Grendel will easily get the job done with good bullets.

After I confirm a 6.5 load with 125 grain Partitions, I'll resume working up a precision load with 123 grain ELD-Ms. It shouldn't be hard at all to come up with a load that's still supersonic at 1,000 yards at 1100 feet ASL. I shot a couple quick 5 round groups yesterday with Hornady's Black 123 ELD-M factory ammo. The first was .740" and the 2nd was .638".....and I wasn't trying very hard. Sounds like a great, lightweight solution for medium game and ringing steel.

joedirt199
11-06-23, 08:45
When they stopped importing Wolf ammo for grendel that hurt. Comp guys wanted flatter faster and came up with 6mm grendel. Push came for skinnier bullets at faster speed. 6.5 grendel is a great hunting round and can take several bullet weights for different needs.

Disciple
11-06-23, 09:03
All that being said, yes 6.5 Grendel is probably going the way of the Dodo, but that doesn't mean it should. I can't help but think of the times that we as the US have come back to things we already knew 20-30 years after the fact as breakthroughs while we try to accomplish the same results at the expense of the individual (Soldier or Marine).

I have been hearing that for years. Somehow the 6.5G just keeps chugging along. It used to be the 6.8 SPC crowd saying their cartridge was better and in time everyone would choose it over the 6.5 Grendel, but that hasn't happened and the motivations for and benefits of this class (6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC) remain. I don't think 6mm ARC, 300 Blackout, 350 Legend, or 6.5 Creedmoor offer the same combination of long barrel life, low recoil, thump at long range, moderate weight/bulk, and inherent accuracy. Losing inexpensive Wolf ammo for plinking and short range practice wrecked my plans but for hunters and reloaders that's not a problem.

B Cart
11-06-23, 13:25
I love my 12" suppressed 6.5 Grendel. It's my main coyote gun, and it's super accurate and hammers them. I like how much smaller and lighter it is than an AR10, and I'd feel plenty confident taking deer with it. It is too bad that ammo is becoming harder to find because i think it's a great caliber for many reasons.

As far as a gas gun in .308, I just don't see much point in them anymore. Sure, ammo is more readily available, but they are heavy with quite a bit of recoil, and .308 is outdated in the accuracy dept. 6.5 creedmoor is so much better in an AR10, especially past 300 yards. More accurate, higher BC projectiles, less drop and wind drift, and noticeably less recoil. And 6.5 Creed ammo is always readily available anytime i look.

indianalex01
11-06-23, 22:00
I love my 12" suppressed 6.5 Grendel. It's my main coyote gun, and it's super accurate and hammers them. I like how much smaller and lighter it is than an AR10, and I'd feel plenty confident taking deer with it. It is too bad that ammo is becoming harder to find because i think it's a great caliber for many reasons.

As far as a gas gun in .308, I just don't see much point in them anymore. Sure, ammo is more readily available, but they are heavy with quite a bit of recoil, and .308 is outdated in the accuracy dept. 6.5 creedmoor is so much better in an AR10, especially past 300 yards. More accurate, higher BC projectiles, less drop and wind drift, and noticeably less recoil. And 6.5 Creed ammo is always readily available anytime i look.

308 is obsolete in the accuracy dept??? Are you serious…. It’s one of the most accurate rounds made. Many better rounds for sure. 6.5 Creed and others but accuracy? 308 is one of the most used tactical rounds used in LE and was in the Mil. It’s still used by many. 6.5 is now probably used more now but it’s still being used. You probably miss-typed that is lacks in accuracy.

Disciple
11-06-23, 22:22
Outdated in practical accuracy at range I presume. No .308 here:

https://precisionrifle.wpenginepowered.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Most-Popular-Long-Range-Rifle-Cartridge.png

B Cart
11-06-23, 22:46
308 is obsolete in the accuracy dept??? Are you serious…. It’s one of the most accurate rounds made. Many better rounds for sure. 6.5 Creed and others but accuracy? 308 is one of the most used tactical rounds used in LE and was in the Mil. It’s still used by many. 6.5 is now probably used more now but it’s still being used. You probably miss-typed that is lacks in accuracy.

Yes, i'm dead serious. I specifically said it's outdated, meaning there are better calibers in the same platform that are more accurate with less recoil. When I started competing in PRS a decade ago, there were a lot of people using 308. Within a few years, it was totally non-existent. Why? Because there are much better, much more accurate options. You don't have to shoot much long range to quickly realize this.

Sure, it may still be a NATO round, but in the knowledgeable LE, special operations, federal agencies, and other circles, most shooters left 308 behind a long time ago. Even the military is moving away from it in many areas.

308 will always be around, and for good reason, but it's far from the best or most accurate round readily available out of gas gun or bolt gun platforms.

Here are just a couple articles that might be of interest:
https://www.armytimes.com/off-duty/gearscout/2018/05/08/homeland-security-shooters-are-dumping-308-for-this-long-range-round/
https://mdttac.com/blog/is-the-308-winchester-still-relevant/
https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2018/05/08/socom-snipers-will-ditch-their-bullets-for-this-new-round-next-year/

indianalex01
11-06-23, 23:01
Yes, i'm dead serious. I specifically said it's outdated, meaning there are better calibers in the same platform that are more accurate with less recoil. When I started competing in PRS a decade ago, there were a lot of people using 308. Within a few years, it was totally non-existent. Why? Because there are much better, much more accurate options. You don't have to shoot much long range to quickly realize this.

Sure, it may still be a NATO round, but in the knowledgeable LE, special operations, federal agencies, and other circles, most shooters left 308 behind a long time ago. Even the military is moving away from it in many areas.

308 will always be around, and for good reason, but it's far from the best or most accurate round readily available out of gas gun or bolt gun platforms.

https://www.armytimes.com/off-duty/gearscout/2018/05/08/homeland-security-shooters-are-dumping-308-for-this-long-range-round/
https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2018/05/08/socom-snipers-will-ditch-their-bullets-for-this-new-round-next-year/

I also shoot PRC and have for a long while. I also carried an M40A1/A3 for years. Nobody is saying it’s the best. Practical accuracy is outstanding with 308. I disagree with you that is not accurate anymore. Other rounds beat it at range without question. If shooting for groups though, it can shoot with most. As a hunting round it’s excellent. This is a hunting thread though. I think we both have derailed it. (PS I shoot 6mm and 6.5 in matches. I still shot 308 in 308 matches)

jsbhike
11-07-23, 05:53
Saw this ammo over the weekend for the first time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/.400_Legend

HKGuns
11-07-23, 07:26

The word Obsolete, I assume, was chosen to elicit a reaction.

I in no way agree it is obsolete, far from it, but I did build an AR10 in 6.5C for similar reasons and so far am quite happy with it as I am my other 762 Nato gas guns.

While there may be other options available, I'll always have several rifles in 762 Nato and won't ever consider them obsolete.

Also, don't forget the gamer gun world is different than real life and I bet you can be competitive as hell with a good rifle shooting that cartridge.

indianalex01
11-07-23, 07:45

I in no way agree it is obsolete, far from it, but I did build an AR10 in 6.5C for similar reasons and so far am quite happy with it as I am my other 762 Nato gas guns.

While there may be other options available, I'll always have several rifles in 762 Nato and won't ever consider them obsolete.

Also, don't forget the gamer gun world is different than real life and I bet you can be competitive as hell with a good rifle shooting that cartridge.

Yea you are probably right that he was trying to get a reaction most of all. Oh well. I have competed and done pretty well in matches with a 308. It doesn’t hurt that i use a Remington M24. That thing is 1/4 MOA gun. How is that for obsolete 🤣🤣🤣

Alpha-17
11-07-23, 07:46

Quoted for accuracy.

Nothing is more annoying than the 6.5CM crowd trying to talk down to everyone else. Vegan Crossfitters of the gun world.

ST911
11-07-23, 07:57
This is a hunting thread though. I think we both have derailed it.

I'm just grateful to see actual shooters discussing stuff in a gun-related thread. Carry on, men.

I enjoy shooting both 6.5CM and .308/7.62. Both are quite useful, accurate, and kill game. I neither crossfit nor vegan. :)

Disciple
11-07-23, 08:04

indianalex01 is the one who used the word obsolete, not B Cart.

HKGuns
11-07-23, 08:07
Yeah, for the record, while I "do" own a 6.5C I ain't no Vegan or Cross-fitter either. But I gotta say I about spit my coffee out when I read that one! ;)

ChrisM516
11-07-23, 08:14
indianalex01 is the one who used the word obsolete, not B Cart.

Yeah, lot of words being put in B Cart's mouth it seems like.

Anyways...I've got three different bucks in my backyard that have so far managed to evade me and one is a 10 point. Once I manage to get one I'll post pics up of that and the doe showing the effects of the 70 gr TSX.

Stickman
11-07-23, 11:00
Yeah, lot of words being put in B Cart's mouth it seems like.

Anyways...I've got three different bucks in my backyard that have so far managed to evade me and one is a 10 point. Once I manage to get one I'll post pics up of that and the doe showing the effects of the 70 gr TSX.

Yeah, post that baby up!!

Hank6046
11-07-23, 14:04
I enjoy shooting both 6.5CM and .308/7.62. Both are quite useful, accurate, and kill game.

Exactly, both have their place in this world.

B Cart
11-08-23, 16:30
Wow, didn't meant to piss off the 308 crowd :lol:

And for the record, i never said 308 was obsolete, and i'm far from a 6.5 CM fanboy (I shoot a lot of long range with many calibers, and 6.5CM is probably the caliber i shoot the least).

Shoot 308 all you want, it has a lot of value, and I said it will always be around for good reason. My main point was, there are arguably better options in both the gas gun and bolt gun platforms in the long range accuracy dept. That's it.
And i've hunted deer and elk for over 25 years, and i've found that accuracy on target is typically more important than bullet size/velocity, so shoot what you're most accurate with at the distance you plan on hunting. If that's 308 for you, awesome.

The vegan crossfit comment was awesome though, even though i'm not a member of either of those clubs... lol

LoboTBL
11-09-23, 00:47
Of the options you're considering, the 350 Legend has a lot going for it. The only components that are different than a 5.56/.223 are the barrel, muzzle device and mags. It's a lot easier to find a top quality 5.56 BCG than one for a 6.5 Grendel and you'll spend less on the 5.56 BCG. I've built several 300 BLK, one 6.5 Grendel and one 350 Legend. Finding the parts I wanted/needed for the Grendel wasn't too hard but I worked for a company that sells a huge selection of AR parts. YMMV. Another thing to consider. If you're familiar with the .35 Rem cartridge; ballistically, the 350 Legend is very similar in performance. Ammo availability doesn't seem to be much of an issue either for 350 Legend. Just my two cents on the topic.

ETA: Any of the calibers you're considering will get the job done with the right ammo selection for whitetails or feral hogs. The 350 Legend is the only one I'd really consider suitable for black bear though.

Disciple
11-09-23, 11:35
It's a lot easier to find a top quality 5.56 BCG than one for a 6.5 Grendel and you'll spend less on the 5.56 BCG.

On the other hand--if you don't need top quality--the Brownells 6.5 Grendel nitride BCGs were $43 shipped this past summer.

LoboTBL
11-09-23, 17:11
On the other hand--if you don't need top quality--the Brownells 6.5 Grendel nitride BCGs were $43 shipped this past summer.

That was a joke right? There are things in this world that must be top quality for safety and durability reasons. Among these things are parachutes and BCGs. I can't begin to understand why anyone would want anything but a top quality BCG in their rifle. You don't need a high quality parachute to skydive but you do need one to skydive twice.

Disciple
11-09-23, 18:41
That was a joke right? There are things in this world that must be top quality for safety and durability reasons. Among these things are parachutes and BCGs. I can't begin to understand why anyone would want anything but a top quality BCG in their rifle. You don't need a high quality parachute to skydive but you do need one to skydive twice.

Not a joke. It seems to me to depend on use. If you're hunting dangerous game, which I understand boars can be, it makes sense to treat it like a combat weapon. If it's just for whitetails why do you need combat reliability?

I have no reason to believe there is anything unsafe about the Brownells nitride bolt carrier groups, though I welcome the information if you do.

LoboTBL
11-09-23, 19:04
Was that a complete 6.5 Grendel BCG or just a bolt for $43. I used to get a phenomenal discount where I worked and I never got a complete BCG for $43.

Disciple
11-09-23, 19:15
Was that a complete 6.5 Grendel BCG or just a bolt for $43. I used to get a phenomenal discount where I worked and I never got a complete BCG for $43.

Complete BCG on closeout. It was this one. https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/rifle-parts/rifle-bolts-bolt-carrier-groups/m16-6.5-grendel--6mm-arc-bolt-carrier-group-nitride-mp/?sku=078102006

LoboTBL
11-09-23, 19:21
Not a joke. It seems to me to depend on use. If you're hunting dangerous game, which I understand boars can be, it makes sense to treat it like a combat weapon. If it's just for whitetails why do you need combat reliability?

I have no reason to believe there is anything unsafe about the Brownells nitride bolt carrier groups, though I welcome the information if you do.

I don't have any info on the Brownells bolts or BCGs aside from what is provided on their website. I have no idea who the manufacturer is. I realize that many people consider 9310 steel to be perfectly fine for an AR15 bolt, it's just not my first choice. I think the price you mentioned may have been just for a bolt and not for a complete BCG though I could be wrong. Aside from the first rifle I put together, every other rifle I've ever built I've used the most verifiably high quality components I could get because I want them to be dependable and durable. I don't automatically assume high cost means high quality but there is often a correlation between the two. Buy once, cry once isn't an adage for no reason at all.

LoboTBL
11-09-23, 19:27
Complete BCG on closeout. It was this one. https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/rifle-parts/rifle-bolts-bolt-carrier-groups/m16-6.5-grendel--6mm-arc-bolt-carrier-group-nitride-mp/?sku=078102006

That's a very steep discount even for a closeout clearance item. I'd probably purchase it if I was looking for one but I'd check it out thoroughly before using it. I'm guessing they sold them at cost and there could be a number of reasons for that. Not all of those reasons are indicative of poor quality or known function issues.

Disciple
11-09-23, 19:52
It really was $43 for the complete BCG. I bought it just for the carrier, and keep the bolt as a spare.

What is your preferred 6.5 Grendel bolt? I ask because the SixFive Mk136 bolt is also 9310.

joedirt199
11-09-23, 19:53
The weak link in the grendel from the beginning was the bolt lugs. I have bought my bolts from alexander arms and the monster bolts from 65grendel forum. The bolt carrier really doesn't get much abuse vs. the lugs and the reduced metal surface to hold them on. Better to drop the money on a properly heat treated bolt and a cheaper bolt carrier.

TBAR_94
11-09-23, 19:57
I appreciate all the discussion here. Long range hunting isn’t something I need an AR pattern for—I’ve got plenty of bolt guns that fit that role. And while I will always enjoy my old 30-30 as a reliable deer and pig getter, I do like carrying an AR and I don’t always want to take one of my classic rifles through the brush.

LoboTBL
11-09-23, 23:38
It really was $43 for the complete BCG. I bought it just for the carrier, and keep the bolt as a spare.

What is your preferred 6.5 Grendel bolt? I ask because the SixFive Mk136 bolt is also 9310.

Oh, I believe you. I'm just saying it's a really low price. Like I said, if I was looking for a Grendel BCG and saw that deal, I'd jump on it. I'd just thoroughly inspect it before using it, which is a best practice anyway.

I'm not saying that 9310 isn't a suitable material, I'll just choose 158 if it's available. There are calibers that 9310 is often the only available option. I bought a Criterion barrel and chose the Fail Zero BCG because the bolt is 158 even though I wasn't all that enthusiastic about the coating. I haven't had any issues with it though. I later bought a complete BCG for it just to have an extra from SOLGW after attending their armorer course. Admittedly it is a low round count rifle. I've fired maybe a little over 150 rounds with it since I built it. I built it specifically to hunt whitetails in the lower Hill Country near Bandera.

For about a year and a half or so I was building an AR rifle or pistol for myself at least once a month and built at least one in just about every available caliber. The employee discount was a wonderful thing.

Getting back to the OP's question, I still think the 350 Legend would be the best choice of what he's considering and what he's going to be using it for.

Disciple
11-10-23, 10:36
I have bought my bolts from alexander arms and the monster bolts from 65grendel forum. The bolt carrier really doesn't get much abuse vs. the lugs and the reduced metal surface to hold them on. Better to drop the money on a properly heat treated bolt and a cheaper bolt carrier.

That's exactly what I did. The "monster bolt" is the SixFive Mk136 bolt.