PDA

View Full Version : Remove and Replace Red Dot Accuracy

Whalstib
11-04-23, 15:28
HI,

I removed my dialed in Aimpoint PRO without thinking it may not be as accurate when I put back on....

Do they usually retain the accuracy when you remove and replace? I'll get the range asap and try it but just curious.

What If I move it one groove for better ergonomics? I get the trigonometry of it all and on paper shouldn't make a wild difference but a difference nonetheless. Maybe go from a a dime to a quarter hole....

Thanks!

kirkland
11-04-23, 16:03
They're not precision optics, there may be a small shift, but it should hold a good enough zero for combat accuracy. Or minute of man. You'll still be able to hit the steel target is what I'm trying to say. It may or may not go into the same dime sized hole on paper.

Dennis
11-04-23, 16:10
Depends on the mount and if you can replicate the torque and position of your previous mounting. It has nothing to do with the actual optic.

A good mount with a repeatable torque applied the same way pushed forward when mounted should come back well within MOA, especially for a red dot that can't shoot MOA anyways [emoji12]

Dennis.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

gaijin
11-04-23, 16:32
^^ This.
I’d add; I would certainly prove/verify Zero for a serious use, or even a Range Gun.
But that’s me; I want to KNOW it’s on. That old “First, you gotta have confidence in your equipment” thing.

Pappabear
11-04-23, 16:50
I have removed and replaced many red dots without any major issue. The shift should not be any more than you would get changing ammo. Even if you move it on your rail etc.

It has always been quite minor in my experience.

PB

Uncas47
11-04-23, 17:15
"Trust yet verify", Ronaldus Magnus.

Whalstib
11-04-23, 20:41
Thanks guys!

I'll get to a range in a few days and verify but was just curious now.

Waylander
11-04-23, 21:12
I have a cheap laser bore sighter just for such occasions. Peace of mind to get at least minute of asshole.