View Full Version : Colt or BCM bolt if both are the same price?

Bluto
11-11-23, 10:18
Picking up some spare bolts. If Colt and BCM bolts at the same price, what would you go with?

Stopsign32v
11-11-23, 10:34
Colt every time over BCM

Uncas47
11-11-23, 11:37
For a spare, best price. If it's a Colt gun, stay Colt.

rushca01
11-11-23, 12:24
I run BCM in everything unless it was a factory colt.

DoubleW
11-11-23, 14:32
Either. Both are just fine.

pag23
11-12-23, 05:15
I'm a BCM fan so BCM is what I would choose.....plus the customer service and warranty are better.

prepare
11-12-23, 06:07
The specs should be identical but i'd say BCM has better and more advanced QC.

Disciple
11-12-23, 09:45
I see that I am the only one so far to vote for Something Else. Surprising, as I came to that position based on the feedback I received from the forum (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?240684-Best-brand-source-for-bolt-only-no-carrier).

I don't see the value in spending $80 or more on a bolt when a complete Microbest BCG can be had for under $100 (https://arftac.com/microbest-ar15-5-56-c158-mpi-bolt-carrier-group-complete/) with a little patience.

On the other hand if people are finding Colt or BCM bolt heads for substantially less than $80 please let me know where.

msedward43
11-12-23, 11:37
either or, flip a coin. Both will make an excellent BCG

Uncas47
11-12-23, 11:51
Waiting to see any substantive proof of that statement.

JediGuy
11-12-23, 11:56
Between those two, it doesn’t matter. I default to BCM since Colt standalone components aren’t always easy to acquire.

prepare
11-12-23, 12:04
Waiting to see any substantive proof of that statement.
Just based on having seen BCMs modern QC equipment and not having seen any of Colts. Plus the few people that have been to the Colt facility have said it’s quite antiquated and even dilapidated.

Wake27
11-12-23, 12:06
Probably won’t matter but I’d be shocked if anyone tried to make the argument that Colt’s CS is better so on the off chance that there is an issue, BCM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Uncas47
11-12-23, 12:12
Just based on having seen BCMs modern QC equipment and not having seen any of Colts. Plus the few people that have been to the Colt facility have said it’s quite antiquated and even dilapidated.
BCM does not manufacture bolts nor does Colt any more for that matter. Colt is TDP no matter who makes it. I'm not trashing BCM, I just don't like anecdotal comments about Colt quality. Where's the failed bolts?

indianalex01
11-12-23, 13:24
BCM does not manufacture bolts nor does Colt any more for that matter. Colt is TDP no matter who makes it. I'm not trashing BCM, I just don't like anecdotal comments about Colt quality. Where's the failed bolts?

Good post. BCM makes nothing. All purchased parts. BCM’s customer service is lack luster based on issues 2 MK12 uppers that couldn’t hold 5 inch groups with FGMM.

Colt does build Bolts and carriers. They also sub contract them as well. Colt are as good as they ever have been. Rock solid combat proven reliability. The M5, 6960, 6940 and the EPR lines are solid. BCM doesn’t even have an ambie lower out. LMT, Colt, sig, LWRC all do.. BCM is a good middle of the road gun. I would take the Colt all day long. It’s been there and done it and will get you home.

the AR-15 Junkie
11-12-23, 13:58
Probably won’t matter but I’d be shocked if anyone tried to make the argument that Colt’s CS is better so on the off chance that there is an issue, BCM.

So who exactly is buying Bolts directly from Colt to have to experience their CS?

I buy all my Colt parts from Brownells, their forever return policy I have used many times on non Colt items, never an issue.

Uncas47
11-12-23, 14:08
OP was asking about a SPARE bolt without ever identifying the gun. Why not go with OEM??? WTF are we talking about here?

indianalex01
11-12-23, 15:19

Better and more advanced QC??? WTF?? Can you explain this one

indianalex01
11-12-23, 15:20

Where do people come up with this crap????

Uncas47
11-12-23, 15:34
Where do people come up with this crap????
Hang on, hang on, there's more to come.

Uncas47
11-12-23, 15:40
OP's not even in the "discussion".

Wake27
11-12-23, 15:44
So who exactly is buying Bolts directly from Colt to have to experience their CS?

I buy all my Colt parts from Brownells, their forever return policy I have used many times on non Colt items, never an issue.

Valid, though I personally wouldn’t want to support a company whose own CS I can’t trust when there are other options out there that will likely perform identically.

grizzman
11-12-23, 15:55
Both have been exhaustively proven to be good choices. I have no idea why this thread exists. Drama, anyone?

My personal standard is BCM bolts with BCM barrels, Colt bolts with Colt upper receivers (that don't come with BCGs), and others for other barrels.

Here's a video showing what's stated as a small part of BCM's quality control process, and by coincidence it's the QC for the BCG.

https://youtu.be/BaFOZAwspYI?si=mGXSrXm2K-AhNeyy

Any statement regarding Colt's quality control or adherence to the TDP for commercial sales is conjecture.....unless the person stating it currently works for Colt.

ABNAK
11-12-23, 19:45
While I voted "Colt", I should stipulate that would apply only to the marked bolts, which I'm told are now unmarked. Yeah, I know BCM bolts have never been marked (although I kind of wish they were), but I have a couple and never had an issue to be fair.

May sound like splitting hairs but that good ol' MPC was nice! ;)

Hank6046
11-12-23, 20:04
I'm so sick of these GM vs Ford vs Dodge arguments, its much more about personal preference then anything else, both work great for putting a round down range effectively, accurately and reliably. This is the kind of gatekeeping that makes me hate this community, just tell me why you run what you run, how it works for you and what your experience is. Just posting about brand X doesn't work and then not talking about why or how is BS. I'm so sick of grown men acting like little boys who cannot show evidence, or can remain open to the possibility that they need to humble themselves and might just be wrong.

SteyrAUG
11-12-23, 20:16
Colt with Colt and BCM with BCM.

Wake27
11-12-23, 22:57
While I voted "Colt", I should stipulate that would apply only to the marked bolts, which I'm told are now unmarked. Yeah, I know BCM bolts have never been marked (although I kind of wish they were), but I have a couple and never had an issue to be fair.

Pretty sure all of my BCMs are marked, their website shows it too.

I'm so sick of these GM vs Ford vs Dodge arguments, its much more about personal preference then anything else, both work great for putting a round down range effectively, accurately and reliably. This is the kind of gatekeeping that makes me hate this community, just tell me why you run what you run, how it works for you and what your experience is. Just posting about brand X doesn't work and then not talking about why or how is BS. I'm so sick of grown men acting like little boys who cannot show evidence, or can remain open to the possibility that they need to humble themselves and might just be wrong.

Agreed. There’s a lot of lame and pathetic in here.

Bluto
11-13-23, 09:49
Thanks for all the replies. Didn’t mean to start a whole thing, but I guess I should have anticipated it.

Gonna just go with Steyr’s recommendation and get colt for my colts and bcm for my bcms.

ChattanoogaPhil
11-13-23, 10:07

https://i.imgur.com/pNW5reO.jpg

titsonritz
11-13-23, 18:18
This where I am, all my Colts have Colt BCGs, my BCMs have BCM BCGs, my SIONICS have SIONICS BCGs, my SOLGWs have SOLGW BCGs, I have one PSA the that has a PSA BCG, I also have a few “Frankenguns” that have SOLGW BCGs because they are solid and I bought a half dozen back when they were $119 each.

308sako
11-13-23, 20:24
Got to stick with the Pony if same dollars

RUTGERS95
11-13-23, 21:15
Got to stick with the Pony if same dollars

amen, how is this even a question

indianalex01
11-13-23, 23:08

My colts have colts and my BCMs have been sold..

ABNAK
11-15-23, 16:59
Pretty sure all of my BCMs are marked, their website shows it too.

Talking about the bolts, not the carriers. I have two and they are not marked; the carriers, yes.

ABNAK
11-15-23, 17:00
https://i.imgur.com/pNW5reO.jpg

Damn, how old is it? The two I have are like maybe 10yo or thereabouts.

I "think" that is laser etching or engraving.....both the BCM bolts I had I sent off to be hard chromed and there is nothing visible after that process, but I don't recall seeing what is in your pic even beforehand. Like I said, they were purchased some time ago. The carriers, however, have always been marked similarly.

As a side note, why does this site blow up the size of the pic when you quote the original poster?

ChattanoogaPhil
11-16-23, 12:43
Damn, how old is it? The two I have are like maybe 10yo or thereabouts.

I "think" that is laser etching or engraving.....both the BCM bolts I had I sent off to be hard chromed and there is nothing visible after that process, but I don't recall seeing what is in your pic even beforehand. Like I said, they were purchased some time ago. The carriers, however, have always been marked similarly.

As a side note, why does this site blow up the size of the pic when you quote the original poster?

I purchased that one 3/9/21. I have another purchased with an upper 3/3/23 marked the same,

Please everyone vote BCM!!! I don't want to have to replace my BCM BCGs with Colts before I go shooting. (grin)

Not sure about pic size.

markm
11-16-23, 13:02
BCM unless it's a smoking deal on the Colt. I like both, but BCM has been way cooler to the Civilian market over the years.

Uncas47
11-16-23, 14:03
My blinders prevent me from seeing the asininity of Colt over the years, I remain focused on my guns, which of course are Colts. No apologies.
Except for my new LMT lower LOL.

markm
11-16-23, 15:02
My blinders prevent me from seeing the asininity of Colt over the years, I remain focused on my guns, which of course are Colts.

So you never had the larger hammer/trigger pins, ramped carriers, larger front takedown pins, or Sear block pinned lowers? If a guy just started buying Colts in the last 10 years, I could see not being troubled by their history of nonsense. But guys with 20 or more years on the AR, have seen some solid faggotry from Colt.

Uncas47
11-16-23, 15:21
So you never had the larger hammer/trigger pins, ramped carriers, larger front takedown pins, or Sear block pinned lowers? If a guy just started buying Colts in the last 10 years, I could see not being troubled by their history of nonsense. But guys with 20 or more years on the AR, have seen some solid faggotry from Colt.
So you want to start an argument? I accepted all you vomited and was issued my first Colt in 1968. I don't give a ****. And don't try to shoehorn me into some slot that you don't like. Name your metric bro. Your post count don't mean shit to me. Be polite or....
edit; I owed all that shit bro over the years when BCM wasn't a wet dream.

markm
11-16-23, 15:30
So you want to start an argument?

Absolutely not. I just have no way of knowing if you've only had a 6920 for 5 years, for example. Or lived thru all of Colt's nonsense like I did. (and leave the post count nonsense to the fat bodies on ARFcom... no one cares about that here)

Now I'm not one of those "boycott Colt" goobers at all. All things equal, I'll give BCM business first. But I'll give Colt a look when the price is right.

Uncas47
11-16-23, 15:40
Absolutely not. I just have no way of knowing if you've only had a 6920 for 5 years, for example. Or lived thru all of Colt's nonsense like I did. (and leave the post count nonsense to the fat bodies on ARFcom... no one cares about that here)

Now I'm not one of those "boycott Colt" goobers at all. All things equal, I'll give BCM business first. But I'll give Colt a look when the price is right.

We're good, and if we don't talk before, Happy Thank giving to you and yours...Blessings.

markm
11-16-23, 15:47
You too. I can't believe it's already Thanksgiving.:eek: