PDA

View Full Version : Firing PIn Protrusion

prepare
11-12-23, 10:50
Have the firing pin protrusion specs changed from 28 min and 36 max?

The majority of new BCG's are gauging at 27 across all reputable brands; BCM, Colt, SOLGW, Sonics, BRT, and others.

georgeib
11-12-23, 18:46
Nope. Specs are the same. Not sure what the solution for your problem might be... Perhaps one of those 7.62x39 firing pins that a few companies make.

I bought a bunch of Golden Tiger 223 years ago from SG Ammo for $150/case. The ammo used the wrong primers and required the use of a 7.62x39 "enhanced" firing pin for reliable ignition. I bought a few and installed them in my various bolts so I could run through all the cheap ammo I had purchased. Never had a pierced primer in several cases of standard brass cased ammo, FWIW.

kirkland
11-13-23, 13:53
Nope. Specs are the same. Not sure what the solution for your problem might be... Perhaps one of those 7.62x39 firing pins that a few companies make.

I bought a bunch of Golden Tiger 223 years ago from SG Ammo for $150/case. The ammo used the wrong primers and required the use of a 7.62x39 "enhanced" firing pin for reliable ignition. I bought a few and installed them in my various bolts so I could run through all the cheap ammo I had purchased. Never had a pierced primer in several cases of standard brass cased ammo, FWIW.

Had the same experience. Sam suggested the 7.62x39 firing pin and a higher power hammer spring. Worked great with that ammo. Wish I had bought more of that ammo.

Stopsign32v
11-13-23, 13:56
Never heard of this before but would be nice to not have to worry about shallow primer strikes. What 7.62x39 firing pin is everyone going with?

Disciple
11-13-23, 14:24
The majority of new BCG's are gauging at 27 across all reputable brands; BCM, Colt, SOLGW, Sonics, BRT, and others.

I suppose you've ruled out the possibility of a calibration error, i.e. your gauge is off?

georgeib
11-13-23, 14:35
Never heard of this before but would be nice to not have to worry about shallow primer strikes. What 7.62x39 firing pin is everyone going with?

I have a few Black Rifle Arms pins and a Red X Arms one too. Both brands work just fine with the cheap Russian stuff and all kinds of brass cased stuff. That said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The AR's firing pin protrusion specs are there for a reason.

markm
11-13-23, 15:31
We need someone to make an "Anti Rotational" firing pin while we're worrying about it!!

Jim D
11-14-23, 13:34
I suppose you've ruled out the possibility of a calibration error, i.e. your gauge is off?

I'd echo this question.

If you have anything out of spec from us just fill out an RMA form on our website and we'll replace it quickly for you.