PDA

View Full Version : New BA Hanson barrel or FN CHF with 200 rounds barrel.

11-12-23, 21:22
I have a spare receiver and want to build a practice rifle that will see about 3k rounds a year. Just for short range (50 yards max) practice drills and fun.
For barrels, I am between a new BA Hanson barrel and a FN CHF barrel taken off a PSA upper with 200 rounds through.
Between those two which barrel would you choose?
Are BA Hanson barrels CHF?
Thanks.

Hank6046
11-12-23, 21:27
Hanson from BA, I don't think people realize how easy it is to get into a really great barrel nowadays. FN CHF are great, but PSA QC worries me why someone would start to sell one after only 200rds.

11-12-23, 21:31
Hanson from BA, I don't think people realize how easy it is to get into a really great barrel nowadays. FN CHF are great, but PSA QC worries me why someone would start to sell one after only 200rds.

The FN barrel is from a friend’s upper that we tested once (200 rounds) and ran well. No issues with it.
I had a PSA rifle that ran well for a number of rounds, but sold it a while back and got something else.

Hank6046
11-12-23, 21:50
The FN barrel is from a friend’s upper that we tested once (200 rounds) and ran well. No issues with it.
I had a PSA rifle that ran well for a number of rounds. I sold it for something else.

Then why are they selling it? FN barrels are great, I have 2 currently, one is CHF, but if it works and their selling it, I would ask why. BA Hanson are not CHF but are still great nun the less, I have seen Nitride Barrels go over 30k before keyholing, not saying that CHF isn't great, but I've got over 2k rounds in my 11.3 BA Hanson (not 11.5 like I keep posting) and its been more than stellar. Overall I would would say that the quality of manufacturing is probably with Fn (so long as PSA inspected correctly) but the barrel profile of a Hanson really does a great job in actual shooting and maneuvering with the gun

fedupflyer
11-12-23, 21:56
The answer is simple.
The one that is free (or almost free).

If you are only running drills at 50yds. You need a barrel that can go bang.
No reason to spend a lot of $$ on a range blaster.

11-12-23, 22:22
Then why are they selling it? FN barrels are great, I 2 currently, one is CHF, but if it works and their selling it, I would ask why. BA Hanson are not CHF but are still great nun the less, I have seen Nitride Barrels go over 30k before keyholing, not saying that CHF isn't great, but I've got over 2k rounds in my 11.3 BA Hanson (not 11.5 like I keep posting) and its been more than stellar. Overall I would would say that the quality of manufacturing is probably with Fn (so long as PSA inspected correctly) but the barrel profile of a Hanson really does a great job in actual shooting and maneuvering with the gun

We have both barrels.
In any case, the question is not about PSA. It’s about barrels that we have laying around.
Thank you for your review on the BA barrel.

11-12-23, 22:29
The answer is simple.
The one that is free (or almost free).

If you are only running drills at 50yds. You need a barrel that can go bang.
No reason to spend a lot of $$ on a range blaster.

We have both barrels laying around. And even though is a practice rifle, I still want it to be reliable.

11-12-23, 22:34
Deleted.

vandal5
11-13-23, 05:37
Deciding which one is "better" is subjective, I think they are both good barrels (assuming there is no unseen issues that we don't know about), and if you are only shooting at 50y or so running drills... you are not asking much of either of them.

As mentioned above, go with the Hanson profile as that has more meat back towards the receiver and tapers down. Where the FN is thinner under the hand gaurd and thicker out front. The Hanson will feel better running around with it.

11-13-23, 06:40
Thank you.
I thought about using the FN barrel because is CHF and “should” last longer. But it seems you guys prefer the BA Hanson barrel for moving and running drills.

11-20-23, 20:12
I ended up selling the BA barrel and Aero receiver and used the funds to buy a BCM upper to complete a BCM rifle.

JediGuy
11-21-23, 04:22
I ended up selling the BA barrel and Aero receiver and used the funds to buy a BCM upper to complete a BCM rifle.

Sounds like you made a good choice.

11-21-23, 13:01
Sounds like you made a good choice.

Yep. I think so too.