PDA

View Full Version : BCM Pistol Questions

AdalinesDad
11-14-23, 16:54
Couple of questions about an upcoming build, I just picked up a MK2 11.5 BFH MCMR10 upper and had the following questions:

Can you install the MK2 Recoil system with SBA3 and stay under overall length issues?

What buffer weight is required for a 11.5 Gov Carbine Barrel?

What is the consensus on a Surefire Suppressor capable muzzle device for this barrel combination? Was considering the https://www.surefire.com/sfa2-556-1-2-28/ as it wouldn't be too blasty like a comp or a brake but still short for putting in and out of bags and backpacks (I envision this build being a Tornado Evac setup stored in my Osprey Backpack I have spare clothes and important paperwork in when it's time to evac for hurricanes and tornadoes).

Anyone use the new MK2 charging handles yet? Not a lot of information on these out there yet, same as the new mounts they just introduced.

Vert foregrips are still out I'm assuming and KAG style hand stops are still legal right?

Thank you for the help!

Stopsign32v
11-14-23, 18:42
Can you install the MK2 Recoil system with SBA3 and stay under overall length issues?

I don't understand this? What overall length issues?

Vert foregrips are still out I'm assuming and KAG style hand stops are still legal right?

I run a vert foregrip on my 10.3 pistol build.

Disciple
11-14-23, 19:05
I don't understand this? What overall length issues?

I run a vert foregrip on my 10.3 pistol build.

https://www.guntrustguru.com/can-i-add-a-vertical-fore-grip-to-my-ar-15-pistol/

Installation of a Vertical Fore Grip Converts a Pistol to an AOW

The ATF has long held that by installing a vertical gore grip on a handgun or pistol, the handgun or pistol is no longer designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand. As a result, it no longer qualifies as a handgun or pistol under Federal statutes and regulations. Additionally, since it is no longer a handgun or pistol, it is not exempt from being classified as an AOW. Therefore, if an individual installs a vertical fore grip onto a handgun or pistol, he or she is “making” a firearm under the NFA, specifically, an AOW. Under the NFA, the term “make” includes “manufacturing, putting together, altering, any combination of these, or producing a firearm.” 26 U.S.C. § 5845(i).

What if the Overall Length of the Pistol is 26 Inches or More? Does That Still Convert It to an AOW?

There is a narrow exception to the rule that adding a vertical fore grip to a pistol creates an AOW. The phrase “capable of being concealed on the person” within the definition of AOW is not defined under Federal statutes or regulations. The ATF’s current position is that a firearm with an overall length of 26 inches or more does not meet the definition of “capable of being concealed on the person,” unless the firearm is actually concealed on a person. As a result, a person may add a vertical fore grip to a firearm with an overall length of 26 or more inches without creating an AOW, as long as it is not actually concealed on the person. In other words, it is not considered to be a “pistol,” an AOW, or even a “firearm” under the NFA as long as it is not actually concealed on the person.

How Do You Measure the Overall Length of a Firearm with a Stabilizing Brace?

Removable muzzle devices (such as flash suppressors, muzzle brakes, barrel extensions, etc.) do not count towards overall length or barrel length measurements, so they would be removed before measuring.

On June 25, 2019, the ATF clarified its position regarding how overall length for firearms using stabilizing braces should be measured. If the stabilizing brace is stationary, only standard receiver extensions are considered in overall length measurements. For example, accessories (extensions) that have superfluous material are not included in the overall length measurement. However, when a device operating as a stabilizing brace is attached to a firearm using a folding or collapsing mechanism, overall length is measured with the brace in the folded or collapsed position. Otherwise, a firearm could avoid classification as an AOW, yet retain the concealability and functionality of an AOW.

titsonritz
11-14-23, 19:21
The AOW has already been covered.

Vltor has made an A5 pistol RE for years.

https://www.vltor.com/shop/ar/receiver-extensions/pistol-a5-the-vltor-a5-pistol-kit/

ruckusjuice
11-14-23, 21:21
If OP is concerned about the 13.5” LOP guidance when using an A5 receiver extension and a collapsing brace like an SBA3, you would be longer than 13.5” LOP at the furthest settings. If we’re talking about the overall length from tip of the muzzle to back of the brace, I’m not sure that matters even with this final rule because that score card from the proposed rule never made it into the final rule.

Stopsign32v
11-14-23, 21:43
If you really think about it I think it's cute we are still trying to go along with the ATF's rules.

As if we ever did end up in trial against the ATF they would go along with their own rules.

AdalinesDad
11-14-23, 22:12
If you really think about it I think it's cute we are still trying to go along with the ATF's rules.

As if we ever did end up in trial against the ATF they would go along with their own rules.

As a Christian I have to try to follow the rules and do what our leaders direct us to do to the best of my ability because they were placed in their position of power by God regardless of if I agree with them or not. I also have a toddler who is dependent upon me to take care of her so being hemmed up on a stupid issues is just that, stupid. That being said I think the laws are vague and unclear on purpose but that is neither here nor there. Regardless I am attempting to follow the current laws and it’s still possible to have a nice carbine that follows my needs, but hey, thanks for contributing….

Devilstang
11-15-23, 05:00
I too am a Christian. Our leaders weren’t placed by the power of God. They were voted in by ignorant citizens to lazy to actually know who they are voting for. In the Bible, Jesus specifically went against the rules of the so called “leaders”. I agree that you try to follow the law as best as possible so you can provide for your family. Finally, we need to stop calling them our leaders. They are supposed to be representatives and we send them up there to do our will, not theirs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stopsign32v
11-15-23, 07:24
As a Christian I have to try to follow the rules and do what our leaders direct us to do to the best of my ability because they were placed in their position of power by God regardless of if I agree with them or not.

Hey man I walk hand and hand with Jesus daily as best I can but I in no way believe Joe Biden or Obama were ever put in place by his hands! Now I do believe 100% that the Devil has been working overtime in the past 20 years here in America.

Devilstang
11-15-23, 07:30
I agree. We are definitely living in end times. Stay strong. We win in the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

indianalex01
11-15-23, 16:19
Hey man I walk hand and hand with Jesus daily as best I can but I in no way believe Joe Biden or Obama were ever put in place by his hands! Now I do believe 100% that the Devil has been working overtime in the past 20 years here in America.

I think the poster you were replying to misspoke a little. God allows things to happen. Our country has become unglodly and these two (Biden and Obama) are a product of that. God wants our country to repent. It’s clear that many are spitting in the Lords face based on everything going on. As hard as it is, we are to pray for our leaders. Vote for God fearing people.

Dutch110
11-16-23, 12:35
The MK2 charging handle is GTG. I really like the two I have.

ViniVidivici
11-16-23, 14:24

DoubleW
11-16-23, 14:24
WTF does religion have to do with a BCM pistol?!?! Religion has ****ed up plenty in the world, please don’t extend its reach into the joyous hobby of gun ownership.

Stopsign32v
11-16-23, 15:50
WTF does religion have to do with a BCM pistol?!?! Religion has ****ed up plenty in the world, please don’t extend its reach into the joyous hobby of gun ownership.

Read better

AdalinesDad
11-17-23, 09:08
The MK2 charging handle is GTG. I really like the two I have.

How thin are the “blades” they look very thin on the one YouTube video there is?

indianalex01
11-17-23, 13:40

Dude, chill out. Open hostility is a sign of sexual frustration.

Stopsign32v
11-17-23, 14:19
Dude, chill out. Open hostility is a sign of sexual frustration.

Your avatar makes me sexually frustrated

indianalex01
11-17-23, 16:34
Your avatar makes me sexually frustrated

I can see that. The pic is pretty hot.